Tyrese Haliburton

Complete basketball player and rookie are hardly ever seen together in a sentence.
Haliburton is the next Matisse Thybulle but with better offense.
At some point you start him in front of Hield.

NBA ROOKIE RANKINGS 2020-21 From Hashtag Basketball.Com
(Where the 2020-21 NBA draft class are ranked daily, based on the site's statistical algorithm...stats are updated daily).

Guess who is in the number one spot on this day?

https://hashtagbasketball.com/nba-rookie-rankings

Congrats to Tyrese! (I am grateful he is a King!)
FIVE LASAGNAS

ROY frontrunner, and I called it after game one. He'll win it.

And he's nearly lapping the field....

1611461758546.png

I'm ecstatic about Haliburton's play so far. I think he's been the best looking rookie with LaMelo as a very close 2nd. In terms of their long-term potential, I do think LaMelo has the higher ceiling. He's nearly 2 years younger and as someone else pointed, he's never played real structured basketball aside from his time in the NBL where he had the green light against a league of men. I didn't expect him to be this good so far his rookie year, but I think he's proven a lot of his doubters wrong.

He's only 19 years old averaging 24.6mins: 11.5pts 5.9asts 6.4rebs 1.5stls on 40.2/32.4/69.
He's already had 3 double-doubles and 1 triple-double (22pts 11asts 12 Rebs). LaMelo is going to be special in this league. His stats speak for themselves.

However, his higher potential shouldn't take away how anyone feels about Haliburton. His ceiling will ultimately come down to his usage and aggressiveness as a scorer.

I'm ecstatic about Haliburton's play so far. I think he's been the best looking rookie with LaMelo as a very close 2nd. In terms of their long-term potential, I do think LaMelo has the higher ceiling. He's nearly 2 years younger and as someone else pointed, he's never played real structured basketball aside from his time in the NBL where he had the green light against a league of men. I didn't expect him to be this good so far his rookie year, but I think he's proven a lot of his doubters wrong.

He's only 19 years old averaging 24.6mins: 11.5pts 5.9asts 6.4rebs 1.5stls on 40.2/32.4/69.
He's already had 3 double-doubles and 1 triple-double (22pts 11asts 12 Rebs). LaMelo is going to be special in this league. His stats speak for themselves.

However, his higher potential shouldn't take away how anyone feels about Haliburton. His ceiling will ultimately come down to his usage and aggressiveness as a scorer.

I have been watching Lamelo highlights and looking at his stats. I honestly don't see any reason to think He would have a higher ceiling than Tyrese. In fact I would argue the only thing Lamelo has over him is size. Tyrese by watching highlights to me seems quicker and much more efficient with his movement. Remember they had the same argument of low ceiling against Curry and look how that turned out...... Btw on stats alone Tyrese is an easy rookie of the year at this pace.

I agree, and everything comes down to usage nowadays. Look at Jerami Grant for instance. With no defense anymore certain abilities and skills can take you pretty far. With Haliburton it comes down to how he's defended. The knocks on him as a spot shooter, or as a shooter in general were always the wrong way of looking at it. It's his ability or lack thereof to score off certain motions and pick and roll defenses. When teams have done to him what they do to Buddy and double up and trap him on pick and roll he's found it a bit tough to get his shot. Going left and getting into a shot has been sketchy on pick and roll and part of that is his mechanics. LeMelo has always looked like a bit more of a natural scorer and plays like it even if the numbers look rough by the percentages. Haliburton is far more efficient because at heart he's a glue guy. He's thinking the game out, natural scorers just play it out which can lead to much bigger results but also bury your team sometimes.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
LaMelo is a far better rebounder (kind of amazing how well he boards with his current frame - a testament to his feel for the game) and Tyrese is a much better defender.

Ball has never really been forced to play defense to earn playing time and it shows. He's also pretty inefficient in terms of scoring and Borrego has indicated that he needs to cut down on turnovers to get more playing time. Right now I think Haliburton is the better player but long term it certainly could be LaMelo. We'll see.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also, while it's fun to debate these kids and speculate on who might win ROY or have the better career, I think it's important to also realize that Haliburton is (and likely will continue to be) the better fit next to Fox.

Still a lot of work to do to fix this roster, but to feel like you could have your starting backcourt for many years to come is a big step in the right direction.

Tyrese Haliburton so far is the best rookie in the NBA. He excels at everything and plays with an amount of poise rarely seen in first year players. We like him so much, there is a thread about him. But some people still want to talk about how other rookies have a higher ceiling. Go somewhere else and start your La Belo thread. This guy is the lone really bright spot in the Kings' season. It pisses me off when someone wants to slight him.

Last edited:
What could we get in return for a Buddy trade? At this point I don't view him as a core piece and the longer we wait the more we diminish his value imo.
2nd round pick. Should've traded him last year before he signed that contract. He has and always will be a one dimensional player, who is best suited for the 6th man role. I've been beating this drum forever, but if the Kings wanted to improve his value, he should've been in that 6th man role from the jump. You can't have your starting two guard shoot well once every few games, make 1 to 5 dumb plays a game, and play absolutely no defense. That's losing hoops or tank commanding hoops depending on your perspective.

Despite that, I still don't know how he fell to us at 12. I had Haliburton & Wiseman as my top 2 for the Kings in this draft, and I was positive neither would be around past 5 (much less #12).
Well also seems to me like there are a lot of teams, in general, have the Infatuation of raw potential versus proven skills.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Tyrese Haliburton so far is the best rookie in the NBA. He excels at everything and plays with an amount of poise rarely seen in first year players. We like him so much, there is a thread about him. But some people still want to talk about how other rookies have a higher ceiling. Go somewhere else and start your La Belo thread. This guy is the lone really bright spot in the Kings' season. It pisses me off when someone wants to slight him.
Saying someone else might have more upside isnt slighting anyone. Absolutely no one is saying Tyrese isn’t good.