Your top three choices with the Kings #12 pick

dude12

Hall of Famer
The second round picks is where we’re gonna be able to tell what kinda talent evaluator McNair is imo
Agreed. That first second round pick is early. We should be able to grab a guy who can make our roster. I wouldn’t mind us following the Miami Heat/Denver Nuggets philosophy....whatever that is.

Agreed. That first second round pick is early. We should be able to grab a guy who can make our roster. I wouldn’t mind us following the Miami Heat/Denver Nuggets philosophy....whatever that is.
I would say both teams, at the very least, stick with an identity and find players that fit that identity. One of the biggest problems with the Kings over the years, to me, is constantly having an identity crisis.

I watch a fair amount of clips on these players, I now think Williams will be gone by 12 which is good for those not as keen on him.
Anyways found myself watching Bagley clips again from 2018 and remember why I wasn’t down on Vlade at the time for taking him at 2. Damn if he can keep the feet from breaking recon we have a lot to look forward to.

It's hard to say who I'd want the Kings to draft without knowing who is available at #12.

It also depends on what McNair's vision for the team is. Roll with the current roster and try to win now? Blow it up and rebuild? Something in between like trading away Buddy and a couple other pieces while re-signing Bogi?

If the team is keeping Fox, Hield, Bogdanovic, Bagley, and Holmes then I'm not sure a SG or C makes sense. Sure if Hayes or Okongwu fall I wouldn't pass on them for fit reasons but given who's likely to be there at 12 I think the guys who help win now while having potential to be significantly more in time are Isaac Okoro, Saddiq Bey, and Kira Lewis Jr. Lewis lets the Kings always have a PG on the floor who pushes the pace and he and Fox could also play together in certain matchups.

But if you're rebuilding and swinging for the fences then I'd look at Aleksej Pokusevski, Tyrell Terry, and maybe RJ Hampton.

Last edited:
It's hard to say who I'd want the Kings to draft without knowing who is available at #12.

It also depends on what McNair's vision for the team is. Roll with the current roster and try to win now? Blow it up and rebuild? Something in between like trading away Buddy and a couple other pieces while re-signing Bogi?

If the team is keeping Fox, Hield, Bogdanovic, Bagley, and Holmes then I'm not sure a SG or C makes sense. Sure if Hayes or Okongwu fall I wouldn't pass on them for fit reasons but given who's likely to be there at 12 I think the guys who help win now while having potential to be significantly more in time are Isaac Okoro, Saddiq Bey, and Kira Lewis Jr. Lewis let's the Kings always have a PG on the floor who pushes the pace and he and Fox could also play together in certain matchups.

But if you're rebuilding and swinging for the fences then I'd look at Aleksej Pokusevski, Tyrell Terry, and maybe RJ Hampton.
Yeah its hard to speculate who the Kings should draft when we don’t know the future of the bulk of the curant squad. Perceived BPA works best in this scenario but McNair may have a tight lipped thought out plan.
The 18th can’t come soon enough.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
This is the 12th pick in a weak draft which means chaos value wise. So, lets not get that twisted either. You're looking at it in a bubble and that's been this franchises undoing for years. Even prior to Vlade. That's the same thing that tricked people into thinking George Hill was one of the greatest pickups for Sacramento while some questioned how Fox fits in next to him or that Ben and Nik wouldn't get in each others way. Drafting another PG wouldn't be Kangz, the Kings will likely turn it into Kangz if history is any indication. In reality the Kings have probably killed more young careers than they've simply picked talent with poor potential.

Lewis could be the BPA, although plenty of mocks don't indicate it from what I've seen, but in this draft that doesn't really mean much. He could even end up the best talent IF he finds the situation to showcase it and we've heard everything you've mentioned before especially "WE WILL FIGURE IT OUT LATER" when it came to drafts and signings and watched it fail time and time again. I mean, that should be the slogan outside the arena. "FIGURE IT OUT LATER". Yet, they never seem to hmmmm... If the team were rebuilding then fine but drafting two players that have gaps in their game and likely don't fit together unless something unusual happens like having two players that aren't great perimeter threats or that lack swing size run your offense at the same time LOL. Not thinking of depth or position when you are talking about a lotto pick that isn't a clear cut superstar gets you, well, Papa G. Papa G who looked like a world beater on tape but you had a stuffed front court so even if he was you would NEVER find out. And in the end, shocker, he never got a real chance to show anything. Then multiple SG's last year when you had two already not getting a fair crack while getting paid or preparing to get paid while Bol Bol and Ignas are there. Heck they drafted Ignas. Size/shooting matters because they can find a role more easily even in a worst case scenario. Versatile players are one thing, but one position players that play basically the same way as your "franchise" player is going to put the player ending up on the bottom of that internal competition in a rough spot. I guess we still haven't learned our lesson about Fox playing off the ball? Even if he were able to develop there is that the best usage for him anyway?

That said with this draft in particular. Ball, or Haliburton types are different. They can run offense but they have size and other intangibles so that it could work. This is the same reason why Fox/Doncic wouldn't have been a guarantee to fail although I do think Vlade was right in some ways, there was no way Luka and Fox reach their personal PRODUCTION ceilings side by side as growing young players. Of course in time it could have brought titles so... I was all in on Luka last year being the pick and Bagley as the only other option if they took a turn based on fit but that was easy, Bagley was obvioulsy rated higher by some teams than Luka in the end. We'll see how Bagley does now because it's almost infamy time for the poor kid. It was the same story with Donovan Mitchell. He was a legit combo G which makes a world of difference although, there is still only one ball. I was fine with him because of that versatility.
So you tout Ball and Haliburton as alright because they can run an offense, and have size. Does that mean you think that Lewis can't run an offense? Maybe you should actually watch the games instead of what mock drafts say. Lewis is a very good player and he happens to be 6'3" with a good wingspan, so he's not a midget. He shoots the three well, and I see no reason he couldn't play along side Fox as well as be his backup. I thought you were the guy that liked 3pt shooters. Maybe I'm mistaken, but if so, then I don't think Okoro fits that analogy. I like him but my biggest reservation is his poor three pt shooting.

You mention that this is a weak draft, and your right in the sense that there's no clear cut group of players at the top that anyone feels confident about becoming stars. However, the draft is deep in players that could become solid rotational bench players, or starters in the NBA. And that goes all the way into the 2nd round. I see Lewis as potential starter material, and if so, that could become a problem down the road, but at least he would be an asset. My first choice is still Bey unless someone I really like falls, but I would be fine with Lewis who I think is a dynamic player and fun to watch.

I used to have a personal rule to not read any mock drafts during the college season so as not to be influenced by them. Over the years I've come to realize that a large percentage of them have no idea what the hell their talking about. There are certain people I respect but they are few and far between. Many mocks are made up of second hand or even third hand info. Bottom line is, my opinions are my own, and take them for what you paid for them. My advice to anyone looking at players is to look for what they can do, not what they can't do. If they have a special talent like Okoro, Highlight it, and then later balance it against what he can't do.

One exceptional talent can give you a long career in the NBA. If your looking for the perfect player, then your in the wrong business. I find most mocks reaction to Haliburton amusing. Its as though they can't believe he's as good as he is. They can't find any obvious flaws, but for some reason they can't make themselves consider him as the best player in the draft. And, right now, he is! I guess he doesn't fit their image of what they think the best player should look like. If I were the Warriors, I would take Haliburton with the 2nd pick. If not him, then definitely Wiseman.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Perceived BPA works best in this scenario but McNair may have a tight lipped thought out plan.
It would appear that whatever McNair's plan is, it doesn't seem to include working out players for the 12 spot.

From various media reports listing their full workouts, the following prospects have NOT worked out for the Kings:
Edwards (not 5-19 in HH aggregate)
Toppin
Halliburton
Okoro
Vassell
Achiuwa
Hampton
Maxey (he has said he did a Zoom with us)
Anthony
Maledon (not 5-19 in HH aggregate)

From Anderson's tweet we can infer that
Hayes
Lewis
have not worked out for the Kings, because they are between 5-19 in the HH aggregate and have openly discussed their workouts.

Okongwu and Jalen Smith would appear to be two of the three who are declining to state. (Avidja is also declining, but is not 5-19 in HH aggregate)

Between Patrick Williams, Aaron Nesmith, and Saddiq Bey, presumably one has declined to state and two have said they haven't worked out for the Kings but right now I don't know who is who.

So, right now it looks like maybe we worked out Okongwu (he won't be there), maybe we worked out Smith, and maybe we worked out one of Williams/Nesmith/Bey. We might not have worked out ANY of them, for all we know. Who knows what the plan is, but it's hard to make the case at this point that we're using workouts to execute it.

It would appear that whatever McNair's plan is, it doesn't seem to include working out players for the 12 spot.

From various media reports listing their full workouts, the following prospects have NOT worked out for the Kings:
Toppin
Halliburton
Okoro
Vassell
Achiuwa
Hampton
Anthony

Hayes
Lewis
have not worked out for the Kings, because they are between 5-19 in the HH aggregate and have openly discussed their workouts.

Okongwu and Jalen Smith would appear to be two of the three who are declining to state. (Avidja is also declining, but is not 5-19 in HH aggregate)

Between Patrick Williams, Aaron Nesmith, and Saddiq Bey, presumably one has declined to state and two have said they haven't worked out for the Kings but right now I don't know who is who.

So, right now it looks like maybe we worked out Okongwu (he won't be there), maybe we worked out Smith, and maybe we worked out one of Williams/Nesmith/Bey. We might not have worked out ANY of them, for all we know. Who knows what the plan is, but it's hard to make the case at this point that we're using workouts to execute it.
That is odd, to say the least.

dude12

Hall of Famer

Toppin
Halliburton
Okoro
Vassell
Achiuwa
Hampton
Anthony

Hayes
Lewis

Maybe McNair has a deal in place where we aren’t picking due to trading the pick.....just spitballing.
Still, seems like you would work out guys at least in case another deal comes your way.
Maybe McNair is going zig when everyone else zags and draft a Papagiannis clone!!!

So you tout Ball and Haliburton as alright because they can run an offense, and have size. Does that mean you think that Lewis can't run an offense? Maybe you should actually watch the games instead of what mock drafts say. Lewis is a very good player and he happens to be 6'3" with a good wingspan, so he's not a midget. He shoots the three well, and I see no reason he couldn't play along side Fox as well as be his backup. I thought you were the guy that liked 3pt shooters. Maybe I'm mistaken, but if so, then I don't think Okoro fits that analogy. I like him but my biggest reservation is his poor three pt shooting.

You mention that this is a weak draft, and your right in the sense that there's no clear cut group of players at the top that anyone feels confident about becoming stars. However, the draft is deep in players that could become solid rotational bench players, or starters in the NBA. And that goes all the way into the 2nd round. I see Lewis as potential starter material, and if so, that could become a problem down the road, but at least he would be an asset. My first choice is still Bey unless someone I really like falls, but I would be fine with Lewis who I think is a dynamic player and fun to watch.

I used to have a personal rule to not read any mock drafts during the college season so as not to be influenced by them. Over the years I've come to realize that a large percentage of them have no idea what the hell their talking about. There are certain people I respect but they are few and far between. Many mocks are made up of second hand or even third hand info. Bottom line is, my opinions are my own, and take them for what you paid for them. My advice to anyone looking at players is to look for what they can do, not what they can't do. If they have a special talent like Okoro, Highlight it, and then later balance it against what he can't do.

One exceptional talent can give you a long career in the NBA. If your looking for the perfect player, then your in the wrong business. I find most mocks reaction to Haliburton amusing. Its as though they can't believe he's as good as he is. They can't find any obvious flaws, but for some reason they can't make themselves consider him as the best player in the draft. And, right now, he is! I guess he doesn't fit their image of what they think the best player should look like. If I were the Warriors, I would take Haliburton with the 2nd pick. If not him, then definitely Wiseman.
Clearly not as I said nothing to that effect. I already said, in the right situation Lewis could be the most productive in the draft but he's a PG and like 160 pounds, requires space and plays below the rim. He doesn't have the tools to play SG so again, for it to work you have to put Fox in the position ONCE AGAIN to make it work. Maybe 4th times a charm? I wouldn't bet on it and there are players that aren't really rated lower than Lewis in most mocks that can slide right in. Personally I like Tyrese Maxey more if they're going guard. I see a little Eric Gordon there. Maybe Joe D will look at someone like that as possibly developing into a versatile combo guard.

And 3 point shooting is great but I've already stated this in previous threads I think physical upside and intangibles are the boom possibilities where the Kings sit and in this draft in general. Okoro, Achiuwa, Isaiah Stewart, Oturu, Jaden McDaniels, I like them all as players that fit for various reasons. Bey is the easiest slide in and I can at least see reasons for someone like Nesmith. But, just like almost every player in this draft, they also have flaws. Some potentially bust worthy but why not take a shot in a draft like this is how I look at it. None are completely without some potential and that's why they could end up not being another castaway in an ever growing list of Kings castaways. Physical tools mean a lot and that's why players like Jalen Smith and Haliburton will get knocks. Position means quite a bit as well and if you're a painfully skinny wing or a big with stick legs that will likely stick at PF teams are going to be a little iffy depending on who you talk to.

And for most players that aren't given the red carpet treatment from day 1 situation can be more important than anything. Just ask the Kings draft picks over seemingly the last two decades or more. If you are drafting players for their offensive skillset and they are subsequently asked to play out of position and on the outskirts of the offense, well, good luck with your future star there. Harry Giles is the most recent example. When there were enough injuries to finally clear a path for him offensively he started to look intriguing, as soon as necessity dictated he start providing those intangibles his value evaporated and so did his role.

If Lewis were rated as a clear cut best player or a superstar in the making of course you do exactly the method of draft and figure it out later but he isn't. This draft isn't that type of draft although I think Anthony Edwards and Wiseman are probably pretty clearly the ones who stand out in terms of potential for sure. Haliburton with the Warriors could work. If they do move Dray then he could bring some of that glue play but also don't underrate the ability of a competent franchise to shine up whatever they have beyond what it really is. That's the Kings problem and it has been for awhile now regardless of who they draft. They stack one position players and expect it to work. Just stupid. If it's in that top 5 range and it's a clear cut star player sure but that depends on variables and those variables aren't clear in a draft like this if some of these mocks hold.

Maybe McNair has a deal in place where we aren’t picking due to trading the pick.....just spitballing.
Still, seems like you would work out guys at least in case another deal comes your way.
Maybe McNair is going zig when everyone else zags and draft a Papagiannis clone!!!

That or the franchise is in total disarray? Hmmm... let me guess, haha.

Eh, maybe they haven't reported anything and they have done muliteam workouts? I noticed it was a little strange venturing over to the Kings site. It's like a ghost town.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Eh, maybe they haven't reported anything and they have done workouts? I noticed it was a little strange venturing over to the Kings site. It's like a ghost town.
It's not that the Kings are being quiet. That wouldn't be much of a reason to think anything. It's that Jason Anderson has personally spoken to the 15 prospects in the Kings' range. 12 that have been open about their workouts have outright said they didn't work out for the Kings, the other three won't confirm any workouts, Kings or otherwise. This means that the Kings have done somewhere between 0-3 workouts for the #12 pick (and one of the possible three won't be available at #12).

Well, COVID year is weird, and if there were ever a draft where it was OK to not know what you're doing, this is probably it.

It's not that the Kings are being quiet. That wouldn't be much of a reason to think anything. It's that Jason Anderson has personally spoken to the 15 prospects in the Kings' range. 12 that have been open about their workouts have outright said they didn't work out for the Kings, the other three won't confirm any workouts, Kings or otherwise. This means that the Kings have done somewhere between 0-3 workouts for the #12 pick (and one of the possible three won't be available at #12).

Well, COVID year is weird, and if there were ever a draft where it was OK to not know what you're doing, this is probably it.
I left the word multiteam out initially. I would imagine the NBA would be providing chances for teams to work in conjunction, but I guess not?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Clearly not as I said nothing to that effect. I already said, in the right situation Lewis could be the most productive in the draft but he's a PG and like 160 pounds, requires space and plays below the rim. He doesn't have the tools to play SG so again, for it to work you have to put Fox in the position ONCE AGAIN to make it work. Maybe 4th times a charm? I wouldn't bet on it and there are players that aren't really rated lower than Lewis in most mocks that can slide right in. Personally I like Tyrese Maxey more if they're going guard. I see a little Eric Gordon there. Maybe Joe D will look at someone like that as possibly developing into a versatile combo guard.

And 3 point shooting is great but I've already stated this in previous threads I think physical upside and intangibles are the boom possibilities where the Kings sit and in this draft in general. Okoro, Achiuwa, Isaiah Stewart, Oturu, Jaden McDaniels, I like them all as players that fit for various reasons. Bey is the easiest slide in and I can at least see reasons for someone like Nesmith. But, just like almost every player in this draft, they also have flaws. Some potentially bust worthy but why not take a shot in a draft like this is how I look at it. None are completely without some potential and that's why they could end up not being another castaway in an ever growing list of Kings castaways. Physical tools mean a lot and that's why players like Jalen Smith and Haliburton will get knocks. Position means quite a bit as well and if you're a painfully skinny wing or a big with stick legs that will likely stick at PF teams are going to be a little iffy depending on who you talk to.

And for most players that aren't given the red carpet treatment from day 1 situation can be more important than anything. Just ask the Kings draft picks over seemingly the last two decades or more. If you are drafting players for their offensive skillset and they are subsequently asked to play out of position and on the outskirts of the offense, well, good luck with your future star there. Harry Giles is the most recent example. When there were enough injuries to finally clear a path for him offensively he started to look intriguing, as soon as necessity dictated he start providing those intangibles his value evaporated and so did his role.

If Lewis were rated as a clear cut best player or a superstar in the making of course you do exactly the method of draft and figure it out later but he isn't. This draft isn't that type of draft although I think Anthony Edwards and Wiseman are probably pretty clearly the ones who stand out in terms of potential for sure. Haliburton with the Warriors could work. If they do move Dray then he could bring some of that glue play but also don't underrate the ability of a competent franchise to shine up whatever they have beyond what it really is. That's the Kings problem and it has been for awhile now regardless of who they draft. They stack one position players and expect it to work. Just stupid. If it's in that top 5 range and it's a clear cut star player sure but that depends on variables and those variables aren't clear in a draft like this if some of these mocks hold.
First, he's no longer 160 Lb's. He's now up to 180 Lb's. Second, he's quite capable of playing above the rim. Judging from some of the players you like (McDaniels) I'm not sure there's any point in discussing this any further. Which is fine. Were all entitled to our opinion. But I wouldn't touch McDaniels with a ten foot pole, and although I like Stewart, he would be a huge reach at 12. But then I would be happy with Jalen Smith at 12 and many would consider him a reach.

You mention players having flaws. Well, there's no player in this draft that doesn't have a flaw. As you point out, the main flaw, or knock on both Haliburton and Lewis is their lack of strength, which Lewis has addressed this off season by adding 15 to 20 Lb's of muscle. Remember, these are kids that for the most part are 19 yr's old. Most will look entirely different by the time they reach 21 or 22. To not draft a talented kid simply because he's too skinny is ridiculous. Plus, many players have had HOF careers while remaining on the thin side. Reggie Miller anyone? Does anyone remember what Curry looked like coming out of college, and what most pundits were saying about him?

There are players that impact the game when they're on the floor, and sometimes that doesn't show up in the stats other than the team winning. Haliburton is one of those players. His teammates love playing with him. Bey is another one of those players and so is Vassell. I tend to gravitate toward those kind of players. As for as what the Kings have done in the past, I'm not interested, and believe I know the past since I was a season ticket holder when they played in the warehouse. None of that has anything to do with now.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I left the word multiteam out initially. I would imagine the NBA would be providing chances for teams to work in conjunction, but I guess not?
What are the chances he has the info from Rockets stuff earlier? Or from his new scouts/ass GMs? Or they were part of another teams workout?
I've seen only a small amount of info on multi-team workouts, seemingly for late-first/early-second round guys. I haven't heard about the Kings being at any, but you never know. I'm really just going off of Jason Anderson's reporting here.

I've seen only a small amount of info on multi-team workouts, seemingly for late-first/early-second round guys. I haven't heard about the Kings being at any, but you never know. I'm really just going off of Jason Anderson's reporting here.
I see todays Bee has an article about the Kings hush approach to the draft..unfortunately I can’t open it.

First, he's no longer 160 Lb's. He's now up to 180 Lb's. Second, he's quite capable of playing above the rim. Judging from some of the players you like (McDaniels) I'm not sure there's any point in discussing this any further. Which is fine. Were all entitled to our opinion. But I wouldn't touch McDaniels with a ten foot pole, and although I like Stewart, he would be a huge reach at 12. But then I would be happy with Jalen Smith at 12 and many would consider him a reach.

You mention players having flaws. Well, there's no player in this draft that doesn't have a flaw. As you point out, the main flaw, or knock on both Haliburton and Lewis is their lack of strength, which Lewis has addressed this off season by adding 15 to 20 Lb's of muscle. Remember, these are kids that for the most part are 19 yr's old. Most will look entirely different by the time they reach 21 or 22. To not draft a talented kid simply because he's too skinny is ridiculous. Plus, many players have had HOF careers while remaining on the thin side. Reggie Miller anyone? Does anyone remember what Curry looked like coming out of college, and what most pundits were saying about him?

There are players that impact the game when they're on the floor, and sometimes that doesn't show up in the stats other than the team winning. Haliburton is one of those players. His teammates love playing with him. Bey is another one of those players and so is Vassell. I tend to gravitate toward those kind of players. As for as what the Kings have done in the past, I'm not interested, and believe I know the past since I was a season ticket holder when they played in the warehouse. None of that has anything to do with now.
I wasn't talking at 12, I said I liked those players in terms of potential relative to the modern game. Where they sit in the draft order depends on where the various teams mocks shake out although yes, reaches in a draft like this are subject to opinion because teams are likely going to be all over. And Lewis can add all the muscle he wants, it still ends up with Fox being the one to make it work and that so far has been a huge disaster in every attempt prior. Being thin and whether it effects you or not isn't the point, it's the versatility both in terms of game and PHYSICALITY to be able to ensure the ability to fit in with your star players and roster. There is no argument because the recent history is written, every player put in the same position that Lewis would be has suffered so I think it's safe to assume he wouldn't be put in the best position to succeed either. History doesn't guarantee that, but again, this is the casino, wheres the best bet here?

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I see todays Bee has an article about the Kings hush approach to the draft..unfortunately I can’t open it.
The quick and dirty:

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/article247176049.html

A few players revealed they’ve met with the Kings in video conferences, but so far none have disclosed in-person evaluations with Sacramento.

“I have not talked to Sacramento yet,” Vanderbilt small forward Aaron Nesmith said. “I’m supposed to talk to them extremely soon.”

Achiuwa, Hampton, Lewis and Maxey said they’ve spoken to the Kings via Zoom and Nesmith said he was scheduled to speak to them by the end of the week, but they hadn’t done in-person workouts with Sacramento.

Hayes and Vassell said they had not met with the Kings in any fashion. Okongwu, Williams and Bey declined to specify which teams they’ve met or worked out with.
No info on what the Kings will do with the pick (trade it, use it, etc.) and no real info on who they might take, just some quick player bios, etc.