Your top three choices with the Kings #12 pick

Let's see your top three choices for the Kings with the 12th pick in the draft (in order of your 1st choice, 2nd choice and 3rd choice) - based on who you think will be available and chosen by the Kings.

This is NOT about choosing the top three picks in the draft. The object here is to choose the three players that you think are most likely to be chosen with the 12th pick in the draft.

On the day of the draft (Nov 18), I'll tally them up and we'll see the picks of the Kingsfans faithful as we head into the draft with the #12 pick.

Then we can look at them again after the draft to see who was most aligned with the Kings actual pick.

You can name any three draft prospects you want, but if you pick guys who get drafted before #12, it doesn't count and you've lost on one of your three possible picks.

Last edited:
My top three choices are:
1. Devin Vassell
2. Saddiq Bey
3. Patrick Williams

Of course, if certain players drop out of the top 10 and become available at #12, I would have to give serious consideration to Isaac Okoro and Killian Hayes. But I don't think that's going to happen. Even Vassell may be gone before the Kings pick. But I'll keep him in my top 3 just in case.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'm a bit confused, as you've said both "most likely to be chosen" and you've said our "preferences". For me, those are different, so I'll give you both:

What is likely to happen:
1. Kira Lewis
2. Saddiq Bey
3. Cole Anthony

Who I in my addled brain want the Kings to draft:
1. RJ Hampton
2. Jalen Smith
3. Aleksej Pokusevski

Who I want to draft based on who I think will probably be available (subject to change):

1. Kira Lewis
2. Saddiq Bey
3. Tyrese Maxey/Josh Green

If someone like Avdija, Haliburton, Okoro or Hayes fell, they would obviously come into consideration.

1.Aleksej Pokusevski
2. Tyreses. Maxey
3. RJ. Hampton
4. Jadien McDaniels

In my opinion Pokusevski, Hampton, and McDaniels all have physical attributes that could make them unique talents in the league. I completely understand that each of these players are bigger risks than Bey, Vassell, Neismith; however, I don't feel like any of these players will be more than role players.

kb02

All-Star
Lewis, Hampton, Poku. In that order, but my hunch says Lewis won’t be available when we draft. Teams aren’t passing on a Fox/Morant type in the today’s NBA.

I recon Vassell will go before 12 ?? otherwise he’s in my top three.

1. Maxey
2. Lewis
3. Williams

I hope to revamp our backcourt in which case putting most the focus on guards.

Poku
Bey
Lewis

IMO a solid starter is not enough in this draft. We need to swing for the fences.

I take Poku because you can’t teach his passing skills. Those will translate. We need playmakers! He has good form and can handle the rock. As an added bonus, the nickname Poku is super marketable.

Bey is being underrated IMO and it won’t surprise me if he ends up being one of the better players in this draft.

Lewis is the fall back option.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well, I'm not changing with my first choice and I omit Vassell because I just don't think he'll be there when we pick.

1. Saddiq Bey
2. Kira Lewis Jr.
3. Jalen Smith

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Poku
Bey
Lewis

IMO a solid starter is not enough in this draft. We need to swing for the fences.

I take Poku because you can’t teach his passing skills. Those will translate. We need playmakers! He has good form and can handle the rock. As an added bonus, the nickname Poku is super marketable.

Bey is being underrated IMO and it won’t surprise me if he ends up being one of the better players in this draft.

Lewis is the fall back option.
First, I don't agree with you on swinging for the fences. Not in this draft anyway. But if I were to swing for the fences, it would probably be for Poku, simply because he's such a unique player, that if he were to become what you think he can become, you truly have someone special. I simply don't see that with anyone else.

However, every player you draft can't be, and won't be a superstar. And that's especially true in this draft. Not saying there won't be one of two. But good luck trying to predict them. That said, I think that if you can come out of this draft with an eventual starting SF who can guard three or four positions, Shoot close to, or over 40% from the three, and play a little four as well, then you should pat yourself on the back and say well done. Personally, I think that's a possibility.

What am I missing with Maxey? I know Calipari is usually right with his beliefs about his players (Booker, Fox, SGA...), but I don't see a high upside player in Maxey. Don't think he finishes left well, plays below the rim, but a solid, staunch defending PG. Better than Cory Joseph not quite as good as Deron Williams.

I'm a bit confused, as you've said both "most likely to be chosen" and you've said our "preferences". For me, those are different, so I'll give you both:

What is likely to happen:
1. Kira Lewis
2. Saddiq Bey
3. Cole Anthony

Who I in my addled brain want the Kings to draft:
1. RJ Hampton
2. Jalen Smith
3. Aleksej Pokusevski
You’re right. I shouldn’t have used the word “preference” and just let the first two paragraphs say it all. Oh well!

First, I don't agree with you on swinging for the fences. Not in this draft anyway. But if I were to swing for the fences, it would probably be for Poku, simply because he's such a unique player, that if he were to become what you think he can become, you truly have someone special. I simply don't see that with anyone else.

However, every player you draft can't be, and won't be a superstar. And that's especially true in this draft. Not saying there won't be one of two. But good luck trying to predict them. That said, I think that if you can come out of this draft with an eventual starting SF who can guard three or four positions, Shoot close to, or over 40% from the three, and play a little four as well, then you should pat yourself on the back and say well done. Personally, I think that's a possibility.
I agree it’s hard to predict who the stars will be and I would be happy with Bey if that’s who the kings draft. However, we have no chance of being a contender in the West in the next 3-5 years if we don’t hit a home run on one of our draft picks in the next couple years. Even if we draft 3 solid starters it won’t be enough. We will probably be drafting between 8-15 the next couple years and at least one of our picks in that time frame needs to be a star level player. We already know we can’t sign top tier free agents and we probably don’t have the assets for a huge trade.

Last edited:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
This is hard to do since you're trying to predict the moves of a franchise in chaos.

Prediction:

1. Tyrese Haliburton
2. Obi Toppin (Offense, offense, offense, offense! What could possibly go wrong?)
3. Kira Lewis (two DeAaron Foxs? What could possibly go wrong!)

Last edited:
I don't watch college ball like I used to so only going off what I have read, the arguments others have put forward, and who might be available at 12. I'll go with:

Saddiq Bey
RJ Hampton
Tyrese Maxey

For an early second round pick I go with Jay Scrubb.

What am I missing with Maxey? I know Calipari is usually right with his beliefs about his players (Booker, Fox, SGA...), but I don't see a high upside player in Maxey. Don't think he finishes left well, plays below the rim, but a solid, staunch defending PG. Better than Cory Joseph not quite as good as Deron Williams.
As I put Maxey 1st my reasons why I’m high on him. It won’t really answer what your missing in Maxey.
I want to move on from the Buddy / Bogdan conversation. As starting SG’s they both keep us weak, off the bench they are both fine but neither appear willing to accept that role.
So I want a guard, preferably one that can lead if needed as well as play next to Fox. Since Edwards, Halliburton and Hayes will be off the board at 12, not interested in Ball, Maxey and Lewis look to fill that need.
I like Maxey’s interviews, known for defense, just turned 20, a little short but solid build and good wingspan, and I trust Calipari. I see him and Fox as compliments.

As I put Maxey 1st my reasons why I’m high on him. It won’t really answer what your missing in Maxey.
I want to move on from the Buddy / Bogdan conversation. As starting SG’s they both keep us weak, off the bench they are both fine but neither appear willing to accept that role.
So I want a guard, preferably one that can lead if needed as well as play next to Fox. Since Edwards, Halliburton and Hayes will be off the board at 12, not interested in Ball, Maxey and Lewis look to fill that need.
I like Maxey’s interviews, known for defense, just turned 20, a little short but solid build and good wingspan, and I trust Calipari. I see him and Fox as compliments.
So I don't see a two guard or even a combo guard. Like if I squint hard enough, maybe his comp is maybe Donovan Mitchell. But I don't see the burst, he doesn't quite have his length, and he definitely doesn't have his range. I just don't see a high upside player there. If he is the pick at #12, I hope I'm wrong and totally willing to eat crow.

So I don't see a two guard or even a combo guard. Like if I squint hard enough, maybe his comp is maybe Donovan Mitchell. But I don't see the burst, he doesn't quite have his length, and he definitely doesn't have his range. I just don't see a high upside player there. If he is the pick at #12, I hope I'm wrong and totally willing to eat crow.
I was big on Mitchell, Patino warned us how good he’d be and was right so perhaps I’m trying to right a wrong with Maxey? similar size and both billed as combos.
I was also intrigued but not nearly as much in Monk that same draft... that hasn’t panned as well, it would be interesting what Calipari had to say about Monk.
Guess what I’m saying is I kind of listen when respected college coaches praise their players as future pros. We will see.

I feel like you're all forgetting that it's the Kings we're talking about, I'm sure they'll do their best to troll us as fans. I've seen Saddiq Bey is popular choice on this board, so there's no way we'll be picking him! Going by this theory, for me, the 3 that will probably be in contention are:
1. Patrick Williams
2. RJ Hampton
3. Aleksej Pokusevski

I'd hate all 3 of these picks....

Anyway, I should really take my tongue out of my cheek. I really like Hayes and Haliburton so I'd be thrilled if we made a move to get one of them or failing that, look at trading out of the draft.

I feel like you're all forgetting that it's the Kings we're talking about, I'm sure they'll do their best to troll us as fans. I've seen Saddiq Bey is popular choice on this board, so there's no way we'll be picking him! Going by this theory, for me, the 3 that will probably be in contention are:
1. Patrick Williams
2. RJ Hampton
3. Aleksej Pokusevski

Anyway, I should really take my tongue out of my cheek. I really like Hayes and Haliburton so I'd be thrilled if we made a move to get one of them or failing that, look at trading out of the draft.
Haha. Your hate was close to my order at 12. Williams is my number 1 (assuming Vassell is gone). Hampton has some upside but would be my 3rd and Nesmith is my 2nd.

1. Patrick Williams
2. RJ Hampton
3. Aleksej Pokusevski

WCS was arguably the most popular pick on the board and we went with him. We all know how that turned out...

- Kira Lewis
- Saddiq Bey
- RJ Hampton

Poku sounds intriguing, but some see him as a “boom or bust” type of prospect which may be too big of a gamble for a franchise that desperately needs to add some talent and/or assets.

This is hard to do since you're trying to predict the moves of a franchise in chaos.

Prediction:

1. Tyrese Haliburton
2. Obi Toppin (Offense, offense, offense, offense! What could possibly go wrong?)
3. Kira Lewis (two DeAaron Foxs? What could possibly go wrong!)
I really like Lewis, but the amount of LOL basketball we'd see might just be too much to take.

Haha. Your hate was close to my order at 12. Williams is my number 1 (assuming Vassell is gone). Hampton has some upside but would be my 3rd and Nesmith is my 2nd.
Hate was probably a strong word haha. I’m far from the most knowledgable person on these prospects but everyone’s bound to have their favourites. I can see the appeal for the people that do like those prospects, I’m just not a believer in their potential. It’s an interesting draft purely because of the lack of consensus