what was the last movie you watched?

In my own humble opinion, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which wasn't even nominated.

Then again, it took me a while to warm up to that one myself. And I do admire Eastwood's work as a whole.
Interesting. I never warmed up to Eternal....and it seemingly for me at least would be a film I liked but sometimes films don’t click. Million Dollar Baby is one of my top 20ish films. Then again, I’m a big Eastwood, Freeman fan and thought Swank was incredible in the movie. I don’t Think that film did anything Special other than make me a blubbering mess towards the end.

Interesting. I never warmed up to Eternal....and it seemingly for me at least would be a film I liked but sometimes films don’t click. Million Dollar Baby is one of my top 20ish films. Then again, I’m a big Eastwood, Freeman fan and thought Swank was incredible in the movie. I don’t Think that film did anything Special other than make me a blubbering mess towards the end.
I get that. My "watched one-time only" list is filled with movies I feel I "should" like, but don't. Eternal Sunshine was in that group initially, but a few extra viewings, and a little clearer insight as to what it was trying to accomplish and the briliantly earnest and subtle techniques it used to reach it eventually swayed me.

Thought Million Dollar Baby was competent and compelling enough as a gritty, gender-swapped Rocky from Mick's perspective (as painfully shallow of a synopsis as that is), otherwise, like you, didn't find anything immediately "special" about it. Similarly to you, I felt hollowed and broken by the end, as was intended. However, while the "accident aftermath" is beautifully written, and acted by Eastwood and Swank, I kind of feel the specific plot point that created that scene was a rather unearned left-turn, completely independent of what the narrative had built previously. In that regard, I find it borderline manipulative to have a "freak tragic accident" hijack the story to artificially inject an otherwise effective, crushing final act.

That said, I think Million Dollar Baby was probably the best option among the nominees that year, and I don't really see it taking home the top prize as any kind of Crash-tastrophe.

I get that. My "watched one-time only" list is filled with movies I feel I "should" like, but don't. Eternal Sunshine was in that group initially, but a few extra viewings, and a little clearer insight as to what it was trying to accomplish and the briliantly earnest and subtle techniques it used to reach it eventually swayed me.

Thought Million Dollar Baby was competent and compelling enough as a gritty, gender-swapped Rocky from Mick's perspective (as painfully shallow of a synopsis as that is), otherwise, like you, didn't find anything immediately "special" about it. Similarly to you, I felt hollowed and broken by the end, as was intended. However, while the "accident aftermath" is beautifully written, and acted by Eastwood and Swank, I kind of feel the specific plot point that created that scene was a rather unearned left-turn, completely independent of what the narrative had built previously. In that regard, I find it borderline manipulative to have a "freak tragic accident" hijack the story to artificially inject an otherwise effective, crushing final act.

That said, I think Million Dollar Baby was probably the best option among the nominees that year, and I don't really see it taking home the top prize as any kind of Crash-tastrophe.
I like your reading your breakdowns on these movies

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Agreed. But it sounds like it is a 2-parter, so I wonder how long we will have to wait for the second half?
If not enough people go to the movie, forever. But at any rate, it will be a while assuming Villeneuve is going to direct part 2. He's in pre-production on a Cleopatra film, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was 4-5 years.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
If not enough people go to the movie, forever. But at any rate, it will be a while assuming Villeneuve is going to direct part 2. He's in pre-production on a Cleopatra film, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was 4-5 years.
I don't like that idea (though I understand the reasoning). Dune is a must in sci-fi reading, but it is definitely not as "accessible" as most books due to complexity, reach, and breadth of topics and characters. The cast looks great and I'd love to see this (hopefully) more definitive movie (or, more correctly in this instance, a pair of them) for Dune than what we have had so far. I don't know that a movie covering only half the book (without a sequel within a year or so, like the LoTR series, etc.) is going to attract the kinds of movie audience that will "demand" the sequel be made. And that would be a shame if it happens.

Edge of Tomorrow - I haven't seen it since it came out and forgot much of the details. Pretty good take on the "Groundhog Day" genre with a sci-fi/action bent. The Mimics reminded me a bit of the aliens in Independence Day, at least the Alphas.
I have this in the "to watch one day" pile. Ok, actually its a shelf.

We made it through the first three Brosnan Bonds this weekend.

Goldeneye was good, I really forgot how hot Famke was after her turn in Nip/Tuck but oh la la. This was another one where a lot of "wait, they were in this?" took place. My kiddo recognized Joe Don Baker as one of the villains in The Living Daylights right away which was funny.

Tomorrow Never Dies - I always thought was underrated and Brosnan's best. I love Jonathan Pryce's villain and the Dr. Death was great although shortlived.

The World is Not Enough - I really hated this when I saw it in the theater. I didn't hate it but it's not good.Maybe diminished expectations helped this in a way that may have also hurt my thoughts on the others. In a lot of ways Skyfall is like a do-over of this one, with the villain/henchman role combined and blows it out of the water.

If I didn't know what I think I know is coming with the last Brosnan, I might be able to bump him above Moore (which pains me because he was my childhood Bond). But I do need to watch first then decide. That was hands down my worst of the Broccoli/Eon productions.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
We made it through the first three Brosnan Bonds this weekend.

Goldeneye was good, I really forgot how hot Famke was after her turn in Nip/Tuck but oh la la. This was another one where a lot of "wait, they were in this?" took place. My kiddo recognized Joe Don Baker as one of the villains in The Living Daylights right away which was funny.

Tomorrow Never Dies - I always thought was underrated and Brosnan's best. I love Jonathan Pryce's villain and the Dr. Death was great although shortlived.

The World is Not Enough - I really hated this when I saw it in the theater. I didn't hate it but it's not good.Maybe diminished expectations helped this in a way that may have also hurt my thoughts on the others. In a lot of ways Skyfall is like a do-over of this one, with the villain/henchman role combined and blows it out of the water.

If I didn't know what I think I know is coming with the last Brosnan, I might be able to bump him above Moore (which pains me because he was my childhood Bond). But I do need to watch first then decide. That was hands down my worst of the Broccoli/Eon productions.
I've caught most Bond movies but these seemed to hit during a time when I was going to the theater a lot less and I wasn't living near my friend who is a big Bond fan. I know I've missed at least one or two of these. I'm going to have to add these to the list to watch as well.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Just finished American Hustle - very good flick with a fantastic cast. I haven't seen Amy Adams in much besides Arrival and this was QUITE a different role than that. ;) She is working with Jeremy Renner in both movies, ironically.

I didn't realize it was based on a true story. Watch it if you haven't seen it before.

Just finished American Hustle - very good flick with a fantastic cast. I haven't seen Amy Adams in much besides Arrival and this was QUITE a different role than that. ;) She is working with Jeremy Renner in both movies, ironically.

I didn't realize it was based on a true story. Watch it if you haven't seen it before.
check her out inThe Fighter

A couple of streaming options I’ve started and finished

Raised ByWolves.....thought it was good and it’s set up for a season 2
Cobra Kai...ok, low expectations but it’s pretty good light entertainment. Very enjoyable.
The Boys....watched first 2 episodes....looks promising
The Third Day on hbo Max.....Slow at times but also full of intrigue and wtf moments. Jude Law is great

Goldfinger and Thunderball so far this weekend. I think 4 more Bond films to go, though kiddo occasionally falls asleep.

Now I love these movies. But holy crap. Have people watched these lately? It has probably been 15 years since I watched either. He arguably sexually assaults or rapes at least one woman in each of these films. I love James Bond and Connery is definitely the cream of the crop but I was stunned. If you know me I'm not one to just get up in arms with critical theory but at several points I felt compelled to remind my son that this is not how you treat women.

Also when I move out of the city and get a home with a multicar garage I am going to own an Aston Martin DB5.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
A couple of streaming options I’ve started and finished

Cobra Kai...ok, low expectations but it’s pretty good light entertainment. Very enjoyable.
The Boys....watched first 2 episodes....looks promising
We just finished season 2 of Cobra Kai - you described it fairly well. Light, humorous at times, just a bit too contrived at parts for me, but enjoyable.
I'm over halfway through season 2 of The Boys and it is a heck of a ride at times. ;)

Probably my favorite Hitchcock (the others in the running would be NxNW and Psycho). I had a pretty cool piece of memorabilia from the film (request to use some family property in a shot from Hitch) but I tucked it inside a book and then got a divorce, so it's probably gone. :(

Watched Hubie Halloween On the weekend. Light entertainment. Adam Sandler. For his types of movies, it was ok to watch.

Started to watch Cats yesterday. Couldn’t make it through it. I’ve seen the play in SF. Thought the reviews might be off but no, it just didn’t work. Even the Jennifer Hudson spotlight moment singing Memory didn’t hit. Disappointed to say the least. HBO Max is showing ALW’s Phantom of the Opera with Gerard Butler this month and I love the movie....was hoping a repeat by Cats but, nope.

Looking forward to the second Borat movie coming out on Prime soon. Big fan of Sacha Baron Cohen

Caught a number of films during the months this thread was shut down, but I can't immediately recall most of them. Suppose that says something of the impact they had.

There were a few that really stuck with me though (or at least I watched recently enough to comment on):

Do the Right Thing - Had been on my "must-watch" list for years, before I was finally able to stream it for free online over the summer. I went into some detail about this one at the end of the movie draft, so I'm not going to repeat myself here. Suffice to say, I found every element of this masterpiece to be absolutely stellar, from the art direction, plotting, pacing, editing, foreshadowing, character development, subversion, soundtrack and score. Films like this are why I love movies.

Hodejegerne (Headhunters) - Evidently this is Norway's most successful movie of all time, and yet I'd never heard of it before KainLear took it rather early in the most recent draft. Has an intriguing premise with some solid twists and turns, but honestly lost me a bit on a particular plot point: Our chaotic neutral art thief protagonist, who is having an affair seemingly for no other reason than as some kind of hobby, is shocked, SHOCKED and totally crushed to discover his wife is having an affair too (which he finds out while robbing the house of his wife's lover). I realize that's petty, and amounts to judging a symphony on one perceived sour note, but it threw the character motivations and interactions out of whack for me moving forward. Otherwise, tightly scripted tense little thriller.

Sucker Punch - What an utterly senseless, vapid time-waster. Zack Snyder continues to be the embodiment of film-making with the mind of a newly pubescent boy: just starting to be excited by girls, but still wants to play with all the cool toys in his toy box. Excruciatingly derivative framing device of a 50s insane asylum to prop up a double-level psychological dreamworld narrative (complete with obligatory Alice in Wonderland references) of both a gangster-run seedy burlesque hall, and a magical realm of every rad thing Snyder could scribble on a mad-lib in 30 seconds jammed together.
Beautiful Women Wearing: [baby doll nightie / Japanese school girl sailor outfit / altered military uniform],
Using [Katanas / Gatling guns / B52 bombers]
Fighting [20 foot tall Samurai / Steampunk WWI German Soldiers and Zeppelins / Dragons, Orcs and Knights / Assassin Robots]
In A [Snowy Japanese Courtyard / Trench and No Man's Land / Medieval Castle / High Speed Cyber-train]

If you circled all of the above and wrote "YES!!!" congratulations, you've written your next Zack Snyder movie.
Was this a blatantly shallow ploy to target the coveted Male 18-34 demographic? Yes
Was there a shamelessly transparent attempt by Snyder to declare this a feminist empowerment film? Also yes.
Did I enjoy watching it? I ... uh, also yes.

It's so dumb and obvious I actually kind of respect the sheer audacity of it. Welcome to my island of "guilty pleasures" Sucker Punch. There's a seat for you on the bus between Paint Your Wagon and Keanu Reeves' 47 Ronin. You'll be bunking with Reign of Fire.

Hostiles - This is the first of Baja's 10 or so previously-unseen-by-me recommended movies I've been able to track down. As I suspected, gritty and intentionally gruesome and grueling, with a certain level of grandiose beauty to the cinematography (particularly the landscapes) and authentically haunting sparseness to the set design. Bale can typically be counted on for an immersive method performance, and he carries the load here as a 1870s frontier American soldier confronting all of his own demons of war and hatred in what amounts to his final assignment. But a special mention needs to be made for Rosamund Pike (of Gone Girl fame) in playing a borderline broken and at the very tipping point of insane settler who watched her family slaughtered by the Comanche in our opening scene. This is a slow burn punctuated with extended sections of abject brutality. Rather majestic overall, but still, something of a grind to get through.

The Proposition - Holy God, Merry Christmas. That's right, all of you debating the Christmas credentials of Die Hard / Lethal Weapon, have I got the definitive answer for you. This Australian western is about as cheery as a pair of hot pokers to the eyes. It really shouldn't come as a surprise as it's from the same director of The Road, and none other than Nick Cave crafting not only the score, but the script as well. Calling it "bleak" is an understatement. This is miserable people in a miserable place doing miserable things to each other for an hour and a half on screen.

I tracked this down because it was the last film on Gadget's draft list - which introduced me to Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and Go among others - that I hadn't seen. It's now clear to me why my subconscious kept me away from it for 10 years.

*Should mention, this is an example of a good movie, that accomplishes exactly what it's aiming to do, and does it well
... and that is exactly why I don't enjoy it.

Merry Christmas indeed.

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
While I have a slew of movies to watch on the DVR (and am currently partway through Black Mass), I just had a hankering to watch Ford v Ferrari again last night and it didn't disappoint. :)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
While I have a slew of movies to watch on the DVR (and am currently partway through Black Mass), I just had a hankering to watch Ford v Ferrari again last night and it didn't disappoint. :)
I've got Ford v Ferrari on my DVR, I figure I have to watch it eventually since it contributed to my humiliating loss in the movie draft finals!

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I finished Black Mass and although the acting was pretty good (with some big names doing a great job), it didn't quite reach up there like American Hustle did for me.

My kiddo made me watch Vampires vs. the Bronx on Netflix this weekend (break from Bond). I guess if looking for a Halloweenish movie to watch with your kids it hits the mark. The heroes are kids so maybe it has that Stranger Things vibe, some of the kids were in The Getdown.
And the head vampire is very easy on the eyes when she gets into her evil outfit