Gaming Thread!

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Huge news as XBox buys Bethesda.

Potentially/probably locking future Elder Scrolls (insert next gen Skyrim joke), Fallouts, and Starfall as XBox exclusives.

Just when I thought I had no reason to buy an XBox... BAM. This news has me and my wallet shook, because there’s no way I’m not playing Elder Scrolls VI, Fallout 5, and Starfall when they do come out.

I tried and gave up using Linux in ChromeOS. It was just easier to buy a cheap laptop for what I needed to do. But people swear it works and may be easier on a Mac?
That's really discouraging. Picked up Sid Meier's Pirates (2004) on a super sale through Steam, knowing it was Windows only, thinking I could find a way to make it work.

Had my Mac partitioned with Windows 10, but that must have been removed when I had the screen repaired a few years ago. I've tried Wine, WineBottler, PlayOnMac, and looked into GeForce (Not sure what I'm supposed to do, but doesn't have Pirates listed anyway). Feeling rather frustrated and defeated at this point.

Oh man, I have a copy of Pirates somewhere. There's a game that needs another refresh. I've had and loved every PC iteration.
Yeah, I've unfortunately never had the pleasure. Looks like a super chill zen game with a breezy, bright art style, and low stress series of mini-games cobbled together as a functional gameplay loop. Thought it was a low risk / high reward gamble dropping $3 betting I could figure out a work around with the magic of Google.

Monkeys.

From what I've seen, it could use an update with more refined swordfight and ship-to-ship battle mechanics, and slightly deeper RPG elements, (crew management, governor's daughter "dating sim" aspect). Yet part of the appeal is the streamlined simplicity, so tinkering too much might bloat the formula.

In any event, I'm bummed.

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
After getting a message from Amazon they took too many orders and systems might not be delivered on time, I took matters into my own hands.

I decided to spend last Friday night camping out in front of a GameStop to secure an in-person, launch day PS5. It was long, it was boring, it was painful, but after sitting in a camping chair FOR FIFTEEN HOURS (9pm to Noon) I have paid for and will pick up my own PS5 on Nov 12th.

They only got four additional systems for preorder. There was the group of us that showed nearly the same time to secure our spots, then a few people came throughout the night and left after seeing there was only 4. Then starting at 6 the next morning the line kept expanding until it wrapped around the building. People saw there was only 4, but got in line and waited hours anyways.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
After getting a message from Amazon they took too many orders and systems might not be delivered on time, I took matters into my own hands.

I decided to spend last Friday night camping out in front of a GameStop to secure an in-person, launch day PS5. It was long, it was boring, it was painful, but after sitting in a camping chair FOR FIFTEEN HOURS (9pm to Noon) I have paid for and will pick up my own PS5 on Nov 12th.

They only got four additional systems for preorder. There was the group of us that showed nearly the same time to secure our spots, then a few people came throughout the night and left after seeing there was only 4. Then starting at 6 the next morning the line kept expanding until it wrapped around the building. People saw there was only 4, but got in line and waited hours anyways.
That's dedication right there! Glad it worked out for you!

Very impressive work. We screwed up our preorder process with Sony, and I don’t think I have your tenacity. So I guess I’ll just be bitter and jealous for the next 6 months.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Knocking out a handful of games I have in my backlog waiting for this next month and the PS5 to come out. I have a bad habit of getting halfway into something before something else distracts me and I move on and forget about it.

Finished / Platinum’d Ghost of Tsushima. I’d call that one a B-Tier PS Exclusive. On par with Days Gone, but not on the Last of Us (1) or God of War level.

Finished the campaign of The Avengers which was pretty fun. Still a lot of endgame/post-story material to play around with if I need something to do.

Beat Mafia: Definitive Edition which I bought on a whim after seeing a little played on YouTube. Never played the OG, and I really liked it. The team did a great job with the remake... I’m a pretty big graphics snob, and it looked fantastic.

I think my next project is to finish Death Stranding. I’m probably a little less than half through that one.

I think my next project is to finish Death Stranding. I’m probably a little less than half through that one
Ugh. So disappointed in Death Stranding. And my better half just spent the better part of last week getting all the achievements, driving me insane.

If you plan on doing the same, pro-tip: you won‘t get a key new email, if you have unread emails (wasted so many hours on this stupid achievement).

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Ugh. So disappointed in Death Stranding. And my better half just spent the better part of last week getting all the achievements, driving me insane.

If you plan on doing the same, pro-tip: you won‘t get a key new email, if you have unread emails (wasted so many hours on this stupid achievement).
Yeah... I don’t really have a lot of motivation to get it done. I went to put it in tonight, and started looking through my pile for something else to finish first... and I did remember something!

Finally finished Chapter 3 of Tell Me Why tonight. It kind of fell off after a very good chapter 1, but was still solid throughout. Far better than Life is Strange 2. Didn’t reach the same level as LiS1 though. Probably more on par with Before The Storm... maybe a little bit better. The final twist was pretty weak though, so it all fell a little flat for me. Especially after the episode started off very very heavy. Oh well, I’ll call it a return to form for the DONTNOD team.

I’ll call it a return to form for the DONTNOD team.
I abandoned DONTNOD after slogging through the shockingly bland Remember Me. Shame too; that one had all the ingredients to be phenomenal. But was enough to convince me DONTNOD would be a team of exciting ideas and half-baked execution.

Oh, and also:

I have a bad habit of getting halfway into something before something else distracts me and I move on and forget about it.
Finished / Platinum’d Ghost of Tsushima.
Doesn’t sound like THAT bad of a habit for you. Took me 18 months to finish Breath of the Wild, and it was the only game I owned on Switch for the vast majority of that time.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I abandoned DONTNOD after slogging through the shockingly bland Remember Me. Shame too; that one had all the ingredients to be phenomenal. But was enough to convince me DONTNOD would be a team of exciting ideas and half-baked execution.

Oh, and also:

Doesn’t sound like THAT bad of a habit for you. Took me 18 months to finish Breath of the Wild, and it was the only game I owned on Switch for the vast majority of that time.
Never played Remember Me. Sounds very different from their stuff I like of today, which is the “Playable Movie” genre. Their most recent action game (Vampyr) didn’t do anything to hook me and I quit pretty quickly into it.... If at all interested in that genre both LiS1&2’s first episodes are free.

Ghost wasn’t that bad of break... But I’ll take your 18 months on Breath of the Wild and raise you 6 whole years (Across two different consoles) to finally beat GTA:V. Lol

I’ll take your 18 months on Breath of the Wild and raise you 6 whole years (Across two different consoles) to finally beat GTA:V. Lol
Now that is some serious dedication.

The only game I’ve ever played on multiple consoles is Chrono Trigger. Never actually owned it on the SNES (even though I rented it so much, it would have been cheaper to buy). Finished it several times back then, but when the chance to actually own a digital copy randomly appeared in the PlayStation store, I couldn’t get my credit card out fast enough.

Otherwise, confined to the same console, my record is the 25 years it took me to beat Crystalis on the NES. And even that’s kind of an extended placeholder for when I actually work up the patience to return to and beat Battletoads.

Nintendo Hard is real.

Last edited:
Now that is some serious dedication.

The only game I’ve ever played on multiple consoles is Chrono Trigger. Never actually owned it on the SNES (even though I rented it so much, it would have been cheaper to buy). Finished it several times back then, but when the chance to actually own a digital copy randomly appeared in the PlayStation store, I couldn’t get my credit card out fast enough.

Otherwise, confined to the same console, my record is the 25 years it took me to beat Crystalis on the NES. And even that’s kind of an extended placeholder for when I actually work up the patience to return to and beat Battletoads.

Nintendo Hard is real.
Battletoads is insanely difficult

SLAB

Hall of Famer
We’re three days away from the big day y’all.

I’ve got Demon’s Souls, Valhalla, and Godfall coming along with the free Bugsnax and Astro’s Playroom. I’m going to be busy for quite some time!

So pumped!

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Dude. This system is amazing. It just downloaded a 45GB update in a half hour. That would have taken my PS4 nearly 24 hours.

And Demon’s Souls looks incredible. And we’re just barely scratching the surface of what this thing can do.

I’m as happy as I’ve ever been as a gamer. Let the good times roll!!!

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I am currently choosing to play Bugsnax over both Demon’s Souls and Assassins Creed. I don’t even know who I am as a gamer right now. Lol

SLAB

Hall of Famer
A great month for PS5 PS+ members. Getting the PS5 version of Control is an amazing deal, and playing on the PS5 tech is like a brand new game.

My old base model PS4 struggled hard with this game, so playing it in higher resolution with 60FPS and no lag is a treat.

A great month for PS5 PS+ members. Getting the PS5 version of Control is an amazing deal, and playing on the PS5 tech is like a brand new game.

My old base model PS4 struggled hard with this game, so playing it in higher resolution with 60FPS and no lag is a treat.
Control was great. Any new content or just improved gfx and performance? I’d bite, but was late to Control and finished it like a month before the PS5 came out. Might be too fresh for me.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Control was great. Any new content or just improved gfx and performance? I’d bite, but was late to Control and finished it like a month before the PS5 came out. Might be too fresh for me.
It’s the Ultimate Edition, so both DLC/expansions come with it!

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Playing Control on glorious PS5 hardware is making me want to go back and replay other PS4 games again.

God of War is getting a PS5 patch.

NG+ from Days Gone has been calling my name for a long time now.

Good to have some options as there really isn’t anything coming out that has my eye for a couple more months (Outriders in April then Returnal in May)

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Life is Strange 3 got announced and previewed today. It feels so much more “right” than LiS2 ever did. Much more like the OG and BTS.