[The Athletic] Kings request permission to interview candidates for head of basketball operations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, D'Antoni is on the market. If I were Vivek I'd be sending flowers and whatever. Heck, I'd offer him a coaching/GM position right now. With this roster he might not be the one to take you from A to Z but he is probably the easiest A to not having to blow up your freaking team right now out there. Giving him control of roster decisions, or at least making him a part of the conversation might be a way to get you up past the likes of an Indy or Sixers if they're the competition.

Guys, i really don’t think the Dumars involvement or lack thereof is a big deal either way.
Perception is sometimes all that matters and so far all the perception is naturally going to be that it is. The Vlade thing and then candidates dropping like flies is enough dots to start connecting things even if the result is totally off base compared to the picture the dots actually are drawing.

Well, D'Antoni is on the market. If I were Vivek I'd be sending flowers and whatever. Heck, I'd offer him a coaching/GM position right now. With this roster he might not be the one to take you from A to Z but he is probably the easiest A to not having to blow up your freaking team right now out there. Giving him control of roster decisions, or at least making him a part of the conversation might be a way to get you up past the likes of an Indy or Sixers if they're the competition.
No way he picks us over Philadelphia and I’d want Atkinson over him regardless

Definite Pass on D'Antoni for either coach-remembering his glum expressions and contorted facial expressions as Coach of the Knicks and certainly not as GM....this would be more of the same-please no.

Just don't do it. We need a fresh re-built, nothing less.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Yep, Marc Spears saying the Kings interviewed Booth for a higher title, with the idea Booth would hire a GM underneath him. I mean if we can hire Booth to oversee it all with the final decisions and he’s the talent identifier with scouting background and then they hire Gupta who Is the analytics guy and trade maker bringing more assets.......this could be a win win

Yep, Marc Spears saying the Kings interviewed Booth for a higher title, with the idea Booth would hire a GM underneath him.
Where did you read/hear this if I may ask? The article on ESPN says he is interviewing as the gm but he would have the highest basketball operations position. In Denver he answers to one other person on the basketball side. My understanding is he would answer only to the owners with the Kings.

Yep, Marc Spears saying the Kings interviewed Booth for a higher title, with the idea Booth would hire a GM underneath him. I mean if we can hire Booth to oversee it all with the final decisions and he’s the talent identifier with scouting background and then they hire Gupta who Is the analytics guy and trade maker bringing more assets.......this could be a win win
Why would Gupta come here for that. Sounds like a lateral move at best to a team that looks inferior on paper

dude12

Hall of Famer
Where did you read/hear this if I may ask? The article on ESPN says he is interviewing as the gm but he would have the highest basketball operations position. In Denver he answers to one other person on the basketball side. My understanding is he would answer only to the owners with the Kings.
I saw it on twitter. I checked when Marc Spears tweeted it out and it said it was an hour old....so about 4:00 our time.

That Spears tweet isn’t saying they’re interviewing Booth for a different/higher position than the other candidates. He’s just clarifying that GM in Denver and GM in Sacramento mean different things, so it wouldn’t be a lateral move.
The real question would be can we get both him and Gupta in some way. Which sounds like it would be a lateral move for him based off the power structure in Minnesota

No way he picks us over Philadelphia and I’d want Atkinson over him regardless
That's why you'd have to go the extra mile. Offer him the Don Nelson slot and let him look at the roster for what it can be under his rule. This roster is much better for his style of ball than the Sixers roster is. He still might not choose you but these are the waters Vivek needs to start looking in.

Definite Pass on D'Antoni for either coach-remembering his glum expressions and contorted facial expressions as Coach of the Knicks and certainly not as GM....this would be more of the same-please no.

Just don't do it. We need a fresh re-built, nothing less.
Well, if they want to tear down the young core (which is stupid IMO, what a waste) then obviously you don't go there. D'Antoni with the young core that is here can work. In fact, it's the only thing out there that's close to in the ball park of the play style Vivek is looking for. The Knicks was a bunk situation for him. Iso heavy players like Zbo, Melo, less athletic more skill like David Lee. Then a plethora of bleh role players. Now, him with a De'Aaron Fox attack team? A 3 point champ in Buddy? His style of hard work 3 and D wing like Barnes? And a cherry on top lighting quick face up/pick and roll/run the court big in Bagley? If D'Antoni had any sense he'd see this is the best roster out there for him and not only that, but expectations are already super duper low.

if I was Booth, I’d stay in Denver for 2-3 more years. The Nuggets have a legitimate shot at winning a title in that window especially if MPJ develops into a star. Great city and the guy would still only be 46-47 years old.
Eh, if that’s true, why would he wanna be there for another 3 or 4 years when he’ll still only be second in command? He won’t be credited with all that success in the same way that he may like. I’m speculating but I feel pretty confident in saying that i feel he’d rather have a shot at being the top guy in the front office.

Eh, if that’s true, why would he wanna be there for another 3 or 4 years when he’ll still only be second in command? He won’t be credited with all that success in the same way that he may like. I’m speculating but I feel pretty confident in saying that i feel he’d rather have a shot at being the top guy in the front office.
Personally, if I was part of the FO that put a contending roster together (he was assistant Gm in 2017 and became gm this year) Id want to see it through for at least a couple years.

I have no idea what his ambitions are and he could certainly be wanting to climb the ladder sooner rather than later.

Well, if they want to tear down the young core (which is stupid IMO, what a waste) then obviously you don't go there. D'Antoni with the young core that is here can work. In fact, it's the only thing out there that's close to in the ball park of the play style Vivek is looking for. The Knicks was a bunk situation for him. Iso heavy players like Zbo, Melo, less athletic more skill like David Lee. Then a plethora of bleh role players. Now, him with a De'Aaron Fox attack team? A 3 point champ in Buddy? His style of hard work 3 and D wing like Barnes? And a cherry on top lighting quick face up/pick and roll/run the court big in Bagley? If D'Antoni had any sense he'd see this is the best roster out there for him and not only that, but expectations are already super duper low.
What young core? We're not a young team.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I think if Booth ends up being the one they want.....money talks. Might talk a lot or it might talk a little. This would be the reason or at least A reason to come over.

Some people may look at the Sacramento situation and not run away but accept the challenge because that person ever gets it turned around or fixed. Imagine how that looks on the old resume. Some people run to the fire, some people run away from the fire. And we are a dumpster fire

I think if Booth ends up being the one they want.....money talks. Might talk a lot or it might talk a little. This would be the reason or at least A reason to come over.

Some people may look at the Sacramento situation and not run away but accept the challenge because that person ever gets it turned around or fixed. Imagine how that looks on the old resume. Some people run to the fire, some people run away from the fire. And we are a dumpster fire
From a pure circumstance perspective, it's perfect for a new executive. Previous leaders have pretty much sandbagged the situation--14 or so years of no playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.