[The Athletic] Kings request permission to interview candidates for head of basketball operations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw on twitter that Booth is going to be, if not already, out in terms of the job Interview process. 3 down from that list.
Carmichael Dave asked Amick about making the list public, why it would be released. I think Dave was thinking it would be an embarrassment if many from the list refused to even interview.

Amick said with other teams having to give permission, leaks can happen from several places.

But it still looks bad when people don't even want to interview.

ESPN Sources: Minnesota EVP Sachin Gupta, Houston assistant GM Monte McNair and former Atlanta GM Wes Wilcox are among those advancing to a second-round of interviews in Sacramento’s search for new top basketball decision-maker. All three will travel to Sacramento.

1. Gupta
3. McNair

In that order I haven’t read up on Wilcox yet but they don’t have Doncic and they had a top 3 pick that year

1. Gupta
3. McNair

In that order I haven’t read up on Wilcox yet but they don’t have Doncic and they had a top 3 pick that year
Wilcox is the guy that took over for Ferry and lasted just a little while before getting canned along with Bud. He got in a little controversy for making a racial joke about his wife I think. I remember him getting some screen time as an analyst IIRC. Seemed like a decent dude. Again, no real substantial track record other than being another stop gap. Much like the rest of the list nothing about the names stands out one way or the other. Which at least puts it on an even plane. No real total failures so that's not terrible I guess. Gupta so far looks like the only one with a decent shot. I mean, he developed the "Trade Machine" at ESPN, lol. Of course, wasn't that a rip off of RealGM or something? Anyway, he'll have to earn his stripes one shot willie style.

Last edited:
Unbelievable, man **** vevik how do you expect to get someone good when they won’t know there role and logistics. He just doesn’t get it man if we leave with Perry or Dumars we’re not making the playoffs this decade.

And yes for Atlanta offered 6 for Buddy/12 you take it and run sont look back don’t ask questions
As in ... the 6th pick of the 2020 draft? No way.

One frustrating season with a million curveballs thrown at us - including a worldwide pandemic - is not about to make me wanna trade Buddy Hield for practically nothing. And, yes, the 6th pick in this seemingly weak draft is nothing to me. Especially when you consider the fact that we don't even have proven scouts or a front office in place right now.

As in ... the 6th pick of the 2020 draft? No way.

One frustrating season with a million curveballs thrown at us - including a worldwide pandemic - is not about to make me wanna trade Buddy Hield for practically nothing. And, yes, the 6th pick in this seemingly weak draft is nothing to me. Especially when you consider the fact that we don't even have proven scouts or a front office in place right now.
Buddy is a low IQ, horrific defender, bad locker room guy whose on a bad contract. At 6 we can get Deni which would be the top prize or get Obbi Toppin. Toppin would fit in perfectly at PF with Bagley at center giving us amazing speed and athleticism. If Bagley does show out next two years trade him for a 1st instead giving him money and have Toppin take his place. Not to mention Huerter who has great size for SG to pay SF as well and is a great shooter and has a good IQ

Honesty **** vevivk man I can name one thing he’s done right. Shouldn’t even get credit for keeping the team here as that was happening regardless. Why was Dumors even annconce what was the purpose why
Think it’s becoming pretty clear: Dumars has been sidelined. Only way he comes back is if the current candidates don’t suffice and we’re stuck with Dumars/Perry. Bringing in Forde is looking like a really smart move.

Think it’s becoming pretty clear: Dumars has been sidelined. Only way he comes back is if the current candidates don’t suffice and we’re stuck with Dumars/Perry. Bringing in Forde is looking like a really smart move.
Ya Forde is probably the only thing saving us at this point. But and why vevik would even have thought having Dumars at the start was a good idea is beyond me

Is that time of business supposed to make us feel better so not only is vevik a dumbass basketball wise he’s also shady.
Or it could be Vivek trying to salvage his commitment to Vlade while also providing an exit for Vlade. Vlade either had to eat his pride and relinquish final say to Dumars while staying on to see if things would turn around or take the exit. He took the exit.

Happens often where a company hires or promotes someone, realizes that person isn't ready or fit for the role, compromise by supporting that person with extra personnel (Cantenella, Perry/Williams/Dumars), and then finally the person resigns or gets fired when it's obvious to all in involved that its just not going to work.

Less cynical side of me thinks Vivek was trying to give Vlade one more year. Cynical side says Dumars was brought in to push Vlade out. Both can be true.

Side note: if it's the former, that puts Vivek in a very good light. I'm a big fan of providing exits. Creating exits have saved friendships and entering business relationships with folks, who may be having cold feet.

And he didn't leave the best track record either. I know he had money issues with the owners but his biggest issue is what he did spend that money on. Like giving Jason Thompson a Kenny Thomas contract. That's on you Geoff.
I don't know how much I'd put that on his shoulders (oh he is definitely shouldering some) on the blame knowing that our ex-owners were doing firesales on all their properties...

ESPN Sources: Minnesota EVP Sachin Gupta, Houston assistant GM Monte McNair and former Atlanta GM Wes Wilcox are among those advancing to a second-round of interviews in Sacramento’s search for new top basketball decision-maker. All three will travel to Sacramento.

What an uninspiring list.

Maybe Vivek should just make himself GM. If he’d have done that 2 years ago, we’d have #77 in a KINGS uni right now (according to things I read). Which would have more than made up for the Stauskas mistake.

Of course I’m just kidding about Vivek as GM, but, still, what an uninspiring list.

After doing finally doing some research, Simon was the only candidate I became intrigued with. Wonder if he might have had interest if not for the confusion over Dumars role.

What an uninspiring list.

Maybe Vivek should just make himself GM. If he’d have done that 2 years ago, we’d have #77 in a KINGS uni right now (according to things I read). Which would have more than made up for the Stauskas mistake.

Of course I’m just kidding about Vivek as GM, but, still, what an uninspiring list.

After doing finally doing some research, Simon was the only candidate I became intrigued with. Wonder if he might have had interest if not for the confusion over Dumars role.
Simon has done the same thing multiple times over the last few years. Allow his name to be floated as a GM candidate then turn down the opp. He’s waiting for Riley to retire.

I don't know how much I'd put that on his shoulders (oh he is definitely shouldering some) on the blame knowing that our ex-owners were doing firesales on all their properties...
He made the choice to trade for Hickson, re-sign JT, and then draft TRob. He may have been doing a little intentional damage with how stupid that was.

Status
Not open for further replies.