The ONE AND ONLY Luka Doncic discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul Pierce said recently Luka Doncic best player talent wise in the NBA right now at age 21. This game against Milwaukee, these games so far in the bubble showing why HOF talent, NBA champion Pierce said as much. He further said many players in the league agree, with all due respect to Giannis, Kawhi, LeBron, Hardin, et al. He did not say Sacramento Kings are helplessly snakebit but that goes without saying for decades.

This is something I've never seen before in all my years of following the game.

Luka had 36/19/14 tonight. In a win against the top defensive team in the league.

He was one assist short of a 30/20/10 triple double.

Which would have been his 2nd 30/20/10 triple double in a span of 5 day after dropping 34/12/20 on Sac on Tue.

He has 3 30/15/10 triple doubles this season. Lebron has never done that.

He has 25 triple doubles in 131 career games. He's getting a triple double every 5 games played. He's the youngest player to lead the NBA in triple doubles.

He's already pushing legit top 5 player in the game status.

Luka's already better than any player to play for the Kings in the Sac era. And I don't say that lightly as Mitch was my favorite player growing up and the Webber, Peja and Bibby trio the best the Kings have ever seen. This is an entirely different level of player. One who at 20 years of age took a completely mediocre team and literally carried them to the playoffs himself.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
This is something I've never seen before in all my years of following the game.

Luka had 36/19/14 tonight. In a win against the top defensive team in the league.

He was one assist short of a 30/20/10 triple double.

Which would have been his 2nd 30/20/10 triple double in a span of 5 day after dropping 34/12/20 on Sac on Tue.

He has 3 30/15/10 triple doubles this season. Lebron has never done that.

He has 25 triple doubles in 131 career games. He's getting a triple double every 5 games played. He's the youngest player to lead the NBA in triple doubles.

He's already pushing legit top 5 player in the game status.

Luka's already better than any player to play for the Kings in the Sac era. And I don't say that lightly as Mitch was my favorite player growing up and the Webber, Peja and Bibby trio the best the Kings have ever seen. This is an entirely different level of player. One who at 20 years of age took a completely mediocre team and literally carried them to the playoffs himself.
And Vlade thought Marvin Bagley was a better prospect, lmao so hard.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
It is the end of an era in Sacramento. Vlade Divac, formerly beloved Kings player and largely reviled Kings executive, has stepped down from his position in the Kings front office.

With the end of this era comes another ending. After nearly 2900 posts across three threads dating back to the summer of the 2018 draft, KingsFans.com is closing the final "Luka Doncic" discussion thread for good.

"Discussion" is a kind word in this case, because most of the comments in these threads (and altogether too many posts in threads outside of the NBA forum as well) were devoted to trolling. This trolling took many forms but the general idea was always the same: that the Kings made a mistake in drafting Marvin Bagley over Luka Doncic, and that KingsFans.com was going to take the heat for it. Counting posts outside of the dedicated Luka Doncic threads, it is safe to say that Kingsfans.com has seen over 4000 posts of this nature since the 2018 draft, and it is not out of the question that this number was 5000+.

To say that the staff at KingsFans.com were indulgent of the Doncic trolling is an understatement of grand proportions. In point of fact, we were overly-indulgent (though not 100% indulgent, as you well know). But, there were two things that prevented us from reining it in entirely. First, several of the pro-Doncic posters are old friends who make valuable contributions to the discussion when they are not trolling, and we don't particularly want to lose those contributions. Second, the trolling always had a veneer of an excuse: although the 2018 draft decision was in the past, the same people who made that decision were still in the Kings front office calling the shots, and the decision-making history of current front office members is not a topic that lies only in the past.

As of last week, that veneer of an excuse is gone. The pro-Doncic side has won, and Vlade Divac is no longer with the team. But, with the excuse gone, so too has the indulgence gone.

As we have made clear before, KingsFans.com is a site intended for Kings fans to gather to talk about the future of the Kings. It is not a site designed for people to complain about the past, nor is it a site designed as an outlet for the mockery of those who are fans of a player directed at fans of a team that did not draft said player. Comments of this nature make KingsFans.com an unpleasant place to visit for many. Furthermore, they are welcome at other Kings sites, as well as general NBA sites and of course other team sites (in this instance, Dallas Mavericks sites).

So, with that as preamble, the mods have come to an agreement, there is an announcement, and the announcement is this: Luka Doncic trolling (and by extension, trolling Marvin Bagley for not being Luka Doncic) will no longer be tolerated. Period. Full stop. Posts that are in violation will be deleted immediately, and warning points will be given on the first and all subsequent violations.

But, you may say, what is trolling, and what isn't? Let me simply quote Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart: "I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description, and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it." If you are uncertain whether your comment will count as trolling, well, it probably is. You're welcome to post it and find out, but warning points do accumulate, so test your boundaries wisely.

Naturally, this does not mean that Luka Doncic will never be discussed on this site, nor that his name is verboten, nor anything of the sort. Luka Doncic is a star in the NBA. He will be discussed, just as LeBron is, just as Kevin Durant and Steph Curry are, just as James Harden and Kawhi Leonard and Anthony Davis and Nikola Jokic and your favorite player that I neglected to mention are discussed. He will play against us, and his performance will be evaluated in the game threads. He will likely be earning NBA accolades which will be discussed in the NBA forum for the next decade. But there will not be a Luka Doncic thread. As a general rule (a rule which has been suspended over the last two years) we do not dedicate threads to players who are not and have never been Kings (with the exception of free agency/trade targets).

Nor does this mean that Marvin Bagley cannot be criticized. Naturally, all players are expected to produce, and we spent a high draft pick on Bagley so he is expected to produce at a high level. But it is not Marvin Bagley's fault that he was selected before Luka Doncic, nor is it the fault of anybody currently associated with the franchise. After two years, that complaint has expired. Other complaints about Bagley and his performance are, of course, still valid.

Finally, keep in mind that this website is dedicated to Kings FANS. Reveling in the Kings' failures, or in other teams' successes, based on Kings decision-making of the past is behavior that raises serious questions about whether one is a fan of the team, or whether one is a hater. www.kingshaters.com appears to be available; anybody who wishes is welcome to start and maintain their own website.

In closing: Likely there will be some who object to this policy because they want to continue to have discussions about how Luka Doncic is not a King, and how Luka Doncic is better than Bagley, and how Luka puts up (insert numbers here) but Marvin Bagley has such a great second jump. To those people I can only say: Been There, Done That. Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.