[Game] Pelicans @ Kings - Thursday, Aug. 6 - 10:30AM PT, 1:30PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I just read through the thread. I don't understand the angst from a couple of you. We had a pretty good handle on this game from start to finish. I know we fans have every reason to jump at loud noises, but we aren't gonna lead from start to finish by 20 points. There's gonna be ebb and flow. I think they did a pretty good job all the way around.

And major applause for Bogs!!

NAPRED KRALJEVI

if we could just convince Swipa that every team in the NBA had a roster full of Lonzo Balls, he’d be the best player of all time.
Eh, he scored 39 a few games ago and Ball wasn’t in the building.

He’s averaging 27.5 through these 4 bubble games.

Also, looked to me like Ball was on Bogi mostly and Fox had Holiday or Jackson checking him. Ball and Fox matched up a few times, but not a lot.

So what's the deal are we practically eliminated?
Not at all. If Portland loses today, we are 1 game out of the 9th seed. 1 game. With four left to play. Obviously that's incredibly doable, especially with Portland's killer schedule. The problem with losing our first three games? Now we need to rely on other teams to keep losing. If we won vs. SA and Dal, we would be in a much more favorable spot. But we are in no way practicaly eliminated.

And somehow they gave Zion FTs on that?

Ball don't lie.
Zion is a really solid player. But he’s gonna be the superman everyone wants with the calls they’re giving him. Par for the course for the NBA. Where they turn good players into superstars with the consistent benefit of the whistle.

We saw that last game with #77, and today with Zion. At one point anytime he made a move, automatic whistle. While Fox gets constantly knocked to the floor and has to beg for a call.

Zion got away with a clear charge against Holmes, but his name rings in everyone’s ears more so he gets away with it.

So frustrating to watch. At least our KINGS won this one, so it makes it a bit more palatable.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Watching the Pels, it always amazes me that a team with two of the better perimeter defenders in the league (Jrue and Lonzo) and a solid interior defender in Favors can be as awful at defense as it is but then I remember that their coach is Alvin Gentry, the man who somehow managed to field bad defenses despite having perhaps the most versatile/dominant defensive player in the league in the Brow, and I just shrug.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Zion is a really solid player. But he’s gonna be the superman everyone wants with the calls they’re giving him. Par for the course for the NBA. Where they turn good players into superstars with the consistent benefit of the whistle.

We saw that last game with #77, and today with Zion. At one point anytime he made a move, automatic whistle. While Fox gets constantly knocked to the floor and has to beg for a call.

Zion got away with a clear charge against Holmes, but his name rings in everyone’s ears more so he gets away with it.

So frustrating to watch. At least our KINGS won this one, so it makes it a bit more palatable.
The NBA is super desperate to see Zion become the next Lebron but I just don't see it happening. Physically the closest comparison to Zion would be Charles Barkley but Zion is nowhere near the vicious rebounder Chuck was and isn't really a good enough shooter to consistently find open lanes on offense. He is a huge lob target and has really good court vision though, which we don't get to see too often because the refs will usually call a foul on the defense before Zion even gets a chance to really make a full action with the ball.

Given his injury history though, I think Ingram ends up being the better longterm piece though.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Interesting. Buddy play 4:30 minutes and gets hooked
At the start the Kings were moving the ball and getting a lot of open looks. When Buddy came in, suddenly the whole team starting going Iso. We also stopped scoring. Not a coincidence me thinks... I think if Buddy had hit his first couple of shots Walton would have lived with the isolation's, but he didn't, and Walton jerked him. Not only did the team play with sense of urgency, but Walton seemed to be coaching that way as well.

I fear for Zion. He looks out of shape to me after having 3 months to get into shape. He should be playing at around 245 Lb's instead of 285. If you saw him play at Duke, he was way more explosive and quicker. He needs his own personal trainer and chef.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

To add to your point, there were two fouls called on Jefferies that were pure BS. One where Jeffries was trying to deny Zion position, something that happens under the basket a hundred times each game, but for some reason Jeffries wasn't allowed to front Zion. The other was when Zion tried to back Jeffries down and couldn't move him, so they blew the whistle even though Jeffries never laid a hand on him. As long as Zion weighs 285 Lb's, he'll never be the star they hope he'll be, and he'll likely have an injury plagued career.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
To add to your point, there were two fouls called on Jefferies that were pure BS. One where Jeffries was trying to deny Zion position, something that happens under the basket a hundred times each game, but for some reason Jeffries wasn't allowed to front Zion. The other was when Zion tried to back Jeffries down and couldn't move him, so they blew the whistle even though Jeffries never laid a hand on him. As long as Zion weighs 285 Lb's, he'll never be the star they hope he'll be, and he'll likely have an injury plagued career.
And on that added note, DaQuan’s ability to match Zion’s bulk was yet another tick in the “How did so many teams miss this guy?” column.

Great callouts. I remember those plays and also being super pissed over one of them.

You’re spot on. They wouldn’t allow DaQuan to play defense. It reminds me a bit of Shaq when Pollard would defend. Shaq could play physical and pop him in the chest to dislodge, but as soon as he returned the physicality, it was a foul.

All DaQuan did was try to hold his ground.

If that’s how they’re going to officiate, then absolutely Zion is gonna be a star — when he’s not injured, that is.

Not even comparedle Luka creatively gets contact Zion is running through you and getting calls. Also Luka is actually a star, Zion is being shoved down our throats. How many Pels games are we getting geez

The NBA is super desperate to see Zion become the next Lebron but I just don't see it happening. Physically the closest comparison to Zion would be Charles Barkley but Zion is nowhere near the vicious rebounder Chuck was and isn't really a good enough shooter to consistently find open lanes on offense. He is a huge lob target and has really good court vision though, which we don't get to see too often because the refs will usually call a foul on the defense before Zion even gets a chance to really make a full action with the ball.

Given his injury history though, I think Ingram ends up being the better longterm piece though.
Honestly, the more I watch Zion, the more I like the kid. He’s clearly a freak athlete in a 285 pound body. And he’s got an all-around game sans a consistent jumper (which will improve). He made some nice passes today and looks like he’s got soft hands for all the lob passes he gets.

But he is 6-7, 6-8. If the taller, longer players just stay tall and are allowed to return the physicality, they should he able to cause him problems.

You’re right that he’s not the rebounder Charles was. Nor do I think he can handle the rock in the open court like Sir Charles did. Maybe he’ll add that to his game.

I saw him as a liability defensively a few times. He has a tough time sticking with quicker players. Barnes went around him a few times.

I sure would have paid good money to see pre-injury Boogie Cousins and Zion go at it in the post. Zion sure wouldn’t have been able to bully Cuz.

Not even comparedle Luka creatively gets contact Zion is running through you and getting calls. Also Luka is actually a star, Zion is being shoved down our throats. How many Pels games are we getting geez
Agree with you on this. #77 is a much more skilled and polished player.

If they were both power forwards, #77 is like the big fundamental Tim Duncan while Zion is Blake Griffin.

Griffin is an ok player. 20/10 guy. But nowhere near a transcendent super star. But he was shoved down our throats due to the highlight reel dunks.

Was buddy benched or hurt
He sat because Bogi was en fuego. Which makes sense. If only Walton had done the same to Bogi when he was the total opposite of en fuego the last game.

Perhaps I’m going to give Walton too much credit, but I think another part of the decision was that they have a game tomorrow.

Buddy and Belly should be well rested for that game. If Buddy can have a night like Bogi had today, the KINGS might be in good position to get another W.

I just read through the thread. I don't understand the angst from a couple of you. We had a pretty good handle on this game from start to finish. I know we fans have every reason to jump at loud noises, but we aren't gonna lead from start to finish by 20 points. There's gonna be ebb and flow. I think they did a pretty good job all the way around.

And major applause for Bogs!!

NAPRED KRALJEVI
I officially have the hee-bee-geebies.
I was an hour behind the game time, so had to make sure I couldn't see any alerts pop up to tell me the Kings had imploded. If so, I doubt I would have been able to watch the rest of the recording. And for me, that's just inexcusable. I've never been a fair-weather fan before.
Also, it would have been appreciated if the Kings could have maintained a min 20 point lead the whole game and never had two misses in a row. Too much to ask? Yeah, but look at what they ask of us!

Great callouts. I remember those plays and also being super pissed over one of them.

You’re spot on. They wouldn’t allow DaQuan to play defense. It reminds me a bit of Shaq when Pollard would defend. Shaq could play physical and pop him in the chest to dislodge, but as soon as he returned the physicality, it was a foul.

All DaQuan did was try to hold his ground.

If that’s how they’re going to officiate, then absolutely Zion is gonna be a star — when he’s not injured, that is.
Those two fouls on DaQuan were two of the most ridiculous fouls I've seen all year. The refs literally took away his ability to do anything other than let Zion do whatever he wants.

But on a more positive note it was good to see them get basically a wire to wire win. FIBA Bogi is so much fun to watch. Wish he was able to do it on more than a semi annual basis.

The Kings average 110 points per game. Anytime they score 140 they are likely to win. The Pels are not a good defensive team and the Kings made them pay. I think Fox and Barnes are consistent players that almost always show up and play hard. There are some good role players on the team that know their limitations, guys like Joseph, Bazemore and Holmes. Buddy remains enigmatic and inconsistent. He is a scoring machine, some of the time.

There is an axiom in the NBA that has been around a long time. Great players show up every night, and rarely have bad games. Good players have good games about 2 games out of 3. Average players have a good game about 1 out of every 3. The Kings have way too many players in the last category.

Watching Zion is Shaq all over again. I have never liked it all. If you are going to let the offense be physical, then you have to allow the defense to do the same thing. Shaq was a great player, but his career would have been different with some different (and fairer) officiating.

Status
Not open for further replies.