Thoughts on DaQuan Jeffries?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
We'll see, but I'm not putting my hopes on a two-way player with hardly any playing time suddenly becoming a "quality starter" over one off season.
I think if you take the time frame away, then the possibility of him becoming a starter sometime in the future looks promising, especially is he becomes consistent with his 3 pt shot. He's the kind of player every coach loves. He can play and defend multiple positions. He doesn't make mistakes, and he knows and accepts his role. So personally, I'd rather the discussion be about his potential rather than how soon he'll reach it.

he’s not a starter
In terms of univeral talent maybe not, but role players being starters or not usually depends on need. That's how you find players like Bazemore nailing down the contracts they do. For a small ball team needing that boost of athletic ability and power he is heading towards someone that you put where you need him. Whoever is helping in his development has the right idea and he needs to keep listening. Shooting for the middle is sometimes better than shooting for the moon.

I meant more across the entire NBA as a pool of possible starters. I do like Jeffries, Kings don't have many players that have that "tank" build.
You're right, but again, situation matters for players like him. And also, one has to admit there aren't a lot of players built like him. That's where the PJ Tucker comp is a good one not just in terms of style and size but situation as well. He floundered in and out of the NBA picture until he found the right situation for him. In Toronto he was kind of starting to stutter again but then goes to Houston and his career is solid again. All you can say though is for where the league is continuing to trend if Jeffries keeps working on spot shooting and his skills the league is very favorable for his type physical makeup. If this re-start says anything it's that the league is trending even more towards small ball. Even if only to make up for the talent difference with the teams up top.

Last edited:
Not currently but of course 22-year-olds normally tend to improve with time.
should we assume every young player that puts together a couple of good games is a start? The kid looks good let’s hope he could keep it up and can be a good 6-7th man on the team, if he’s starting we’re a bottom 5 team.

In terms of univeral talent maybe not, but role players being starters or not usually depends on need. That's how you find players like Bazemore nailing down the contracts they do. For a small ball team needing that boost of athletic ability and power he is heading towards someone that you put where you need him. Whoever is helping in his development has the right idea and he needs to keep listening. Shooting for the middle is sometimes better than shooting for the moon.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
should we assume every young player that puts together a couple of good games is a start? The kid looks good let’s hope he could keep it up and can be a good 6-7th man on the team, if he’s starting we’re a bottom 5 team.
He was also very very good in G-League action for whatever that's worth

I think if you take the time frame away, then the possibility of him becoming a starter sometime in the future looks promising, especially is he becomes consistent with his 3 pt shot. He's the kind of player every coach loves. He can play and defend multiple positions. He doesn't make mistakes, and he knows and accepts his role. So personally, I'd rather the discussion be about his potential rather than how soon he'll reach it.
Well you can talk potential all you want, and I'm open to the idea that he may one day be a starter though I think that itself is a remote possibility just with how the league works - it's not just a function of your talent but also opportunity; the league is filled with talent and you're saying that a current G league player is going to be one of the top 150 players in the NBA (generally speaking to be a starter). Keep in mind that while he may develop, other guys are developing too, and you have draft class after draft class of very very talented guys coming in every year.

To top that off, the poster specifically said 1) quality starter (I take this to mean he would be at least better than one third of other starters) and 2) as soon as next season. That's just not something I would bet my house on.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm feeling more and more confident that Jeffries can be a quality starter for us - as soon as... next season. But Barnes is also a quality starter for us (although not all-star material). The only way they can both be quality starters on the same team is for Jeffries to be the small forward and Barnes to be the power forward. (Or use more flexible titles like "wing" and "forward.") Their ability to capably defend 3-4 positions makes them a great combination. I also like Justin James a lot. He overlaps with Jeffries a bit, but with some experience, I think he can also become a valuable contributor at both ends of the floor. And he can capably defend the 1-3 positions. A lot to like.
I'm late to the party on this, but I share your optimism. I've been really impressed with what Jeffries brings to the table and, as my dad always said, "it doesn't cost any more to dream in technicolor." :)

At some point, maybe the Great God Naismith will decide we Kings fans have suffered enough and he'll smile on us with a plethora of quality players.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
When you say every young player, your putting him into a group where you can generalize, use averages, etc. But were talking about an individual who has shown the ability to stand out in three games in a row against top NBA talent. One can assume many things. One can assume he's going to become a star, or one can assume that at best, he'll be the 7th or 8th man off the bench. I tend to agree with those that say fit is just as important as a players talent, and Tucker is a prime example of that.

It's also true that with many fans, and perhaps some organizations, where a player is drafted affects the perception of that players upside. I mean, an undrafted player couldn't possibly become a starter on an NBA team, could he? For heaven sake's, it's rare for a 2nd rd pick to break into a starting lineup, right?

Let me throw some names at you, all off of just one team. Duncan Robinson, Derrick Jones Jr., and Kendrick Nunn. All three players undrafted and all three have started for the Miami Heat, which I think we can agree is a good basketball team. In all, the Heat have 7 young players on their roster that were undrafted and one 2nd rd pick in KZ Okpala.

The trick of course, is that all those players fit the style that Pat Riley wants the team to play. I agree that this isn't the norm around the league, but it does show that if a player has the type of talent that fits into the teams style of play, that it's possible to build a competitive team out of lower draft picks and even some undrafted players. A common trait among'st these type of players is that they're hungry, and willing to work their butts off. They know nothing is going to be handed to them until they earn it. Doesn't mean they'll all make it, but you know they've let it all out on the floor.

None of this is to infer that Jeffries will eventually be a starter for us. I simply wonder why you feel the need to throw water on some of the enthusiasm surrounding Jeffries. Do you really think that we need a reminder of how bad the last 13 years have been? Don't you think it's nice to see a ray of sunshine every once in a while? Something to feel positive about? What's the harm in thinking that the Kings may have finally discovered a diamond in the rough? Or should our goal be to remain as miserable as possible until someone hands us a championship ring?

"Talent" doesn't really define the level of impact a role player can have. It's far more about how good they can be at certain aspects and how well the fit in with your star players. For us, we have most of the offensive creation covered; it's going to be Fox/Buddy/Bogi/Barnes/Bjelica as the main shot takers/creators. To enhance their game, you want players like Richaun Holmes (Excellent defender, works his butt off, super efficient offensively, has gravity as a roll man, doesn't need the ball to make an impact) who make their teammates better by being on the floor.

Yeah it's 3 games, but DQJ looks like he has the skill-set to be a super versatile defender at the 3 or 4 and stretch the floor on offense. If he focuses hard on those things, he certainly has the potential to be a starter with how our core currently is shaped. The Kings for most of the 13 year drought have avoided building an actual roster that compliments each other. Finally, with guys like Baze, Holmes, Bjelica, DQJ, we might be seeing some real complimentary talents that make our stars better.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
When you say every young player, your putting him into a group where you can generalize, use averages, etc. But were talking about an individual who has shown the ability to stand out in three games in a row against top NBA talent. One can assume many things. One can assume he's going to become a star, or one can assume that at best, he'll be the 7th or 8th man off the bench. I tend to agree with those that say fit is just as important as a players talent, and Tucker is a prime example of that.

It's also true that with many fans, and perhaps some organizations, where a player is drafted affects the perception of that players upside. I mean, an undrafted player couldn't possibly become a starter on an NBA team, could he? For heaven sake's, it's rare for a 2nd rd pick to break into a starting lineup, right?

Let me throw some names at you, all off of just one team. Duncan Robinson, Derrick Jones Jr., and Kendrick Nunn. All three players undrafted and all three have started for the Miami Heat, which I think we can agree is a good basketball team. In all, the Heat have 7 young players on their roster that were undrafted and one 2nd rd pick in KZ Okpala.

The trick of course, is that all those players fit the style that Pat Riley wants the team to play. I agree that this isn't the norm around the league, but it does show that if a player has the type of talent that fits into the teams style of play, that it's possible to build a competitive team out of lower draft picks and even some undrafted players. A common trait among'st these type of players is that they're hungry, and willing to work their butts off. They know nothing is going to be handed to them until they earn it. Doesn't mean they'll all make it, but you know they've let it all out on the floor.

None of this is to infer that Jeffries will eventually be a starter for us. I simply wonder why you feel the need to throw water on some of the enthusiasm surrounding Jeffries. Do you really think that we need a reminder of how bad the last 13 years have been? Don't you think it's nice to see a ray of sunshine every once in a while? Something to feel positive about? What's the harm in thinking that the Kings may have finally discovered a diamond in the rough? Or should our goal be to remain as miserable as possible until someone hands us a championship ring?
Brad Miller comes to mind. ;)

I agree with everything you said including the part about Riley and the heat organization, they ain’t walking through that door.

Either way I like Jeffries and hope he’s good enough to stay in the rotation and this isn’t a flash in the pan. We desperately need more wing players like him so if he does hit than getting him the way we did is a major plus.

Guys like this becoming role players can be huge. Getting these players before their big contract, rather than overpaying after their best seasons. As much as I love Bazemore, if he commands anything other than a bargain salary, it's a him or Bogi situation.

Guys like this becoming role players can be huge. Getting these players before their big contract, rather than overpaying after their best seasons. As much as I love Bazemore, if he commands anything other than a bargain salary, it's a him or Bogi situation.
Totally agree with all of this. With Fox up for an extension soon, a decision on whether to extend Bogi, then Bagley will be a year from now, cheap role players are super important. Hope DaQuan sticks

Another journeyman player in the NBA. The Kings have lots of those.
What they are lack are outstanding players that can lead the team. Fox has the talent, but not much leadership so far.
They need two more guys with his kind of talent to be competitive.

dude12

Hall of Famer
What they are lack are outstanding players that can lead the team. Fox has the talent, but not much leadership so far.
Yeah, your not wrong but I just watched Portland use Wenyen Gabriel and Gary Trent to beat the Lakers. Obviously Lillard, CJ and Nurkic are the guys that make it go but these journeymen type guys as you label them can help......plus they are cheaper salary wise than signing guys like Cojo, Bazemore, etc to really big contracts. Developing these players like Jeffries will allow us to go get the high priced difference makers.

Yeah, your not wrong but I just watched Portland use Wenyen Gabriel and Gary Trent to beat the Lakers. Obviously Lillard, CJ and Nurkic are the guys that make it go but these journeymen type guys as you label them can help......plus they are cheaper salary wise than signing guys like Cojo, Bazemore, etc to really big contracts. Developing these players like Jeffries will allow us to go get the high priced difference makers.
Until Fox starts to look somewhat like Lillard (which ain’t happening) and Bagley looks like Nurkic (not happening). Than guys like Trent/Gabriel will always look bad with us, those guys are role player and when your stars ain’t stars they’ll look bad

Until Fox starts to look somewhat like Lillard (which ain’t happening) and Bagley looks like Nurkic (not happening). Than guys like Trent/Gabriel will always look bad with us, those guys are role player and when your stars ain’t stars they’ll look bad
You guys are all right.

I think the plan is pretty straightforward moving ahead.

Take every chance possible to find another Fox level player. Whether that's in the draft or finding diamonds in the rough like the VanVleet's of the world. If there are players that can come relatively cheap that have the analytics saying there might be something there....then sign them. Quit letting the rich get richer.

Don't spend a bunch of money on supporting players. The Bazemores and Cojos of the world are useless on the current Kings squad. They're the difference in 11th place and 13th place. No need to tie up money on skill sets the Kings can't even utilize properly yet.

This merry go round of veteran role players has to stop. It's proved to be pointless until we get more firepower. Every team needs veterans so guys like Corey Brewer or whoever that come dirt cheap are fine. No need to pay a fat salary for "mentors" anymore. You can get that for cheaper than $8mil a year.

And for god's sake don't just play the cheap veterans to eek out 3 extra wins on the year. Look at how much better Jeffries looked when he was surrounded by better players? Guy and James don't have to be attached at the hip. If you take your young guys and only play them during blowouts, they're just going to play garbage basketball during garbage time when everyone just plays "it's my turn" instead of running a structured offense. Let James play with Fox, Barnes, Holmes etc. Let Guy play some with Bogie, Baze and Bjelly. Enough of the nonsense.

If the new GM goes into next year with the mindset of finding better veterans to surround Fox with to try and sniff the 8th seed, I don't know if I can handle much of this anymore.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Don't spend a bunch of money on supporting players. The Bazemores and Cojos of the world are useless on the current Kings squad. They're the difference in 11th place and 13th place. No need to tie up money on skill sets the Kings can't even utilize properly yet.

This merry go round of veteran role players has to stop. It's proved to be pointless until we get more firepower. Every team needs veterans so guys like Corey Brewer or whoever that come dirt cheap are fine. No need to pay a fat salary for "mentors" anymore. You can get that for cheaper than $8mil a year.
Keep in mind that there is a salary floor, which is 90% of the salary cap. Regardless of what routes we take, we have to spend that money. For rebuilding teams, that often means giving out bigger than desired contracts to veteran role players, and the trick is more to keep those to one-year commitments than to not sign them.

That said, for next year, if we bring back Bjelica and Parker doesn't opt out, we are on the hook for about $97M for 9 players (Fox/Hield/Barnes/Bagley/Holmes the presumed starters and Bjelica/Parker/CoJo/James on the bench). That actually only leaves about $12M before the salary cap, so it's not like we're going to be able to spend big big dollars on free agents unless we have their rights anyway. I assume we'll be giving a look to Bogdan, Bazemore, Giles, and Len to some degree. We'll have (as our picks currently stand) one first rounder to sign and three second rounders that can potentially move into a roster spot, along with Jeffries and Guy from the G-League. Put that all together, and I don't really think this team looks like one that's going to make a big free agent splash - at least not without a trade to move a big contract (Hield, Barnes??).

dude12

Hall of Famer
You guys are all right.

I think the plan is pretty straightforward moving ahead.

Take every chance possible to find another Fox level player. Whether that's in the draft or finding diamonds in the rough like the VanVleet's of the world. If there are players that can come relatively cheap that have the analytics saying there might be something there....then sign them. Quit letting the rich get richer.

And for god's sake don't just play the cheap veterans to eek out 3 extra wins on the year. Look at how much better Jeffries looked when he was surrounded by better players? Guy and James don't have to be attached at the hip. If you take your young guys and only play them during blowouts, they're just going to play garbage basketball during garbage time when everyone just plays "it's my turn" instead of running a structured offense. Let James play with Fox, Barnes, Holmes etc. Let Guy play some with Bogie, Baze and Bjelly. Enough of the nonsense.

If the new GM goes into next year with the mindset of finding better veterans to surround Fox with to try and sniff the 8th seed, I don't know if I can handle much of this anymore.
Agreed, it’s why I was and am so ticked at Walton at the end of the bubble. Already out of the play in game and he had several games to mix in James and Guy with meaningful minutes. Instead he played some of these vets huge minutes. And that’s just the bubble games. Let James rot on the bench after he got some early run.....AND he displayed an ability to play defense. This is the wrong coach for what Sac needs to do going forward.

Yep. No more associating mega value and dollars at your 10-12 spots like Vlade did, although Joseph and Baze are worth their deals since they aren't that low in the pecking order. However, as we've seen, too much depth causes issues in your locker room. No more George Hills or Dedmons unless they fill a major need, fit with your core, and are given the opportunity to live up to their own expectations and contracts. I mean, it ain't hard to see the potential cracks when making moves like that. Don't have too many players at any position unless a majority of them are cheap/upside types. Those types accept the role. Max out your top 8-9 and run a real NBA rotation for once. This isn't rocket science. DaQuan Jeffries is that type and he showed his value on the team this year and in the end at times he was sat in favor of higher paid players that didn't fit nearly as well into the picture the team needs to be painting.

Yep. No more associating mega value and dollars at your 10-12 spots like Vlade did, although Joseph and Baze are worth their deals since they aren't that low in the pecking order. However, as we've seen, too much depth causes issues in your locker room. No more George Hills or Dedmons unless they fill a major need, fit with your core, and are given the opportunity to live up to their own expectations and contracts. I mean, it ain't hard to see the potential cracks when making moves like that. Don't have too many players at any position unless a majority of them are cheap/upside types. Those types accept the role. Max out your top 8-9 and run a real NBA rotation for once. This isn't rocket science. DaQuan Jeffries is that type and he showed his value on the team this year and in the end at times he was sat in favor of higher paid players that didn't fit nearly as well into the picture the team needs to be painting.
Well I think how we handle Bazemore vs Jeffries this off-season is going to be very telling. Baze likely costs at a minimum 5mil a year and I think Jeffries can give you his 90% of his impact on the court for a fraction of the cost.

Well I think how we handle Bazemore vs Jeffries this off-season is going to be very telling. Baze likely costs at a minimum 5mil a year and I think Jeffries can give you his 90% of his impact on the court for a fraction of the cost.
At this point who knows what goes down. We don't even know what their direction is, remodel, full demo, or status quo. Who knows. I think Baze is still the most critical free agent signing with or without Walton and he and Jeffries are versatile enough to play with eachother. It's the single position too small/too big types that will kill a coach when he keeps looking down to the end of his bench for answers. It's clear by this point that both Buddy and Bogdan don't have much of a future under Walton. If Walton is their guy, Baze is his guy.