TV - What's your passion (NON-sports)?

Well, I am about ready to walk away from The Walking Dead.

Tonight's episode was dark (literally - in that most of it was filmed in such poor lighting it was impossible to view), dreary, and without mch substance at all. The "love scene" preamble between Alpha and Negan was stomach turning (some people just should not be shown mostly naked) and the latest plot twist with Carol completely losing it just doesn't match the Carol persona they've developed over the years.

One more disappointing episode and I can find something else to fill that time slot on my DVR.
I had to bail about 2 seasons ago

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Here are my updated rankings for Mr. Slim's personal Top 10 shows of the 2019-20 season*, as of March 1, 2020:

1. Watchmen (-)
  2. The Good Place (-)
  3. S.W.A.T. (-)
  4. Arrow (-)
  5. Stumptown (-)
  6. The Flash (+6)
  7. Batwoman (+1)
  8. DC's Legends of Tomorrow (+1)
  9. Supergirl (-2)
  10. Good Girls (NR)

* - excludes streaming-exclusive shows

Falling out of the Top Ten: WWE NXT (-7), Killjoys (-6)

(NR) - Not Previously Ranked
Ranking increase noted in
blue
Ranking decrease noted in red

The Flash came back hard, and NXT has been treading water, since Takeover.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Finished season 1 of Man in the High Castle and while the first half of the season was a bit of a slog (seemed to ramble around a bit and not get moving in any particular direction), it definitely starts hitting its groove in the second half.
I finished the 4th (and final) season the other day and this is a good series. Some may have gripes with certain aspects but overall it was a well-done drama series with some violent deaths sprinkled throughout. The ending is a bit ambiguous, but I think intentionally so.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Better Call Saul is back and I love the 2 episodes so far.

im still watching Walking Dead but it’s not as good as the early years but it’s better than most things out there still. I do think it might be time for the Whisperer saga to end though......just feels dragged out.

Better Call Saul is back and I love the 2 episodes so far.

im still watching Walking Dead but it’s not as good as the early years but it’s better than most things out there still. I do think it might be time for the Whisperer saga to end though......just feels dragged out.
first 2 episodes of Saul were amazing

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I totally agree about Mac and Desi. I think they're doing a good job of showing us the relationship in flashbacks, at least so far. It's a different spin...and thus far hasn't been stupid or cliche.
I mean, they pretty much explained in last week's episode how Mac and Desi got together, and why they broke up. But their explanation was bull****, and I still feel cheated. As a shipper, I wanted to see them all boo'd up, on screen, not find out that their entire relationship happened, from beginning to end, in media res.

I don't know what the hell is going on with them ship teasing Mac and Riley, but I don't want it, not even a little bit. Also:

Nobody believes that the Merchant's boss was actually Mattie, do they?

dude12

Hall of Famer
Just watched first episode of Devs on FX on Hulu.....which might be on regular tv on thursdays but unsure. Looks promising as it’s done by the same person who did Ex- Machina and Annihilation. Loved those 2 movies

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I mean, they pretty much explained in last week's episode how Mac and Desi got together, and why they broke up. But their explanation was bull****, and I still feel cheated. As a shipper, I wanted to see them all boo'd up, on screen, not find out that their entire relationship happened, from beginning to end, in media res.
I don't know what the hell is going on with them ship teasing Mac and Riley, but I don't want it, not even a little bit. Also:

Nobody believes that the Merchant's boss was actually Mattie, do they?
1. I get the feeling they're gonna have MacDesi reunite since it's obvious they still care...a lot. Then we'll see the parts we missed via flashbacks. 2. In answer to your question, no way.

Just watched first episode of Devs on FX on Hulu.....which might be on regular tv on thursdays but unsure. Looks promising as it’s done by the same person who did Ex- Machina and Annihilation. Loved those 2 movies
Going to check it out. Love the director and nick offerman

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well, that's four hours of my life I'll never get back. What a freaking trainwreck. I'm not a regular viewer but Kingsgirl4 told me I might like it. (I thought she knew me better but apparently not.) Peter is a slimy douchebucket and by the end of the show I was honestly hoping he'd get the crap slapped out of him and his teary eyes and "I'm so sorry" lies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I didn't think they'd be able to keep up the quality of this show but it continues to impress the hell out of me, especially with how they're able to balance the story lines between three different time periods. Tonight's episode brought much more clarity to Randall's character and some things that have been going on for more than a season are finally starting to come to light. Incredible writing...and acting.

Never been much of a TV fan, so have ambivalently avoided this thread. Only ever truly been an impassioned lover of MST3K, and then a casual (and most fickle) admirer of Quantum Leap, Lost, House of Cards, Game of Thrones, and just recently The Good Place.

There are however a few titles floating around the TV subspace to have sparked my interest. Wondered if some here could give informed insight before I exert myself as a professional consumer.

Watchmen - Love the movie and, retroactively, Moore's original creation. Excited by the expansion of the themes and universe, plus high critical praise. Disturbed by the mouth-foaming of rabid comic book fans and Moore zealots.

Stranger Things - Mildly interested in the 80s nostalgia angle. But rather repelled by horror. Any appeal to non-horror fans?

The Americans - Have a thing for slick spy dramas. Also, oddly, Keri Russell for reasons I cannot fully articulate. Still, 6 seasons is quite a commitment for a guy who can't spare a few hours for the pool every week.

Orphan Black - British sci-fi cult classic with clones and high RT scores. Also relatively high season count.

Mr. Robot - Hackers, hoodies, and Rami Malek, should be enough to get me to buy in I suppose.

Altered Carbon / Electric Dreams - Blade Runner fan likes Blade Runner things. Cheap knock-offs or legit cyberpunk itch-scratchers?

Into the Badlands - Huge fan of the roaming samurai genre. Not so much of kung fu classics. A post-apocalyptic Yojimbo sounds all kinds of rad. A Kung Fu clone, I'll pass.

Timeless - My Quantum Leap feels are tingling. A single season of cheesy, soft sci-fi, time travel shenanigans. Like Timecop without "Double the Van Damme" ... which admittedly doesn't leave much. Charmingly goofy or stupidly stupid?

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Only ever truly been an impassioned lover of MST3K
I KNEW you were good people!

Stranger Things - Mildly interested in the 80s nostalgia angle. But rather repelled by horror. Any appeal to non-horror fans?
I think so. I thought of it more as sci-fi than horror. I've only seen the first season, though. I did enjoy that, but haven't gotten around to the other seasons, largely because I feel I need to rewatch the first season again, and that hasn't become a priority. '80s nostalgia, great ensemble of young actors are the draw. Winona Ryder is actually pretty good.

Orphan Black - British sci-fi cult classic with clones and high RT scores. Also relatively high season count.
Seems like a great idea, but execution is marginal. When it originally came out I watched the first episode and gave up. Then had a houseguest for a few weeks who was deep into season 5 or something so saw a couple way out of sequence and was admonished to start from the beginning. Got through the first season (which did pick up for me starting in episode 2), but the second half of that season began to seem needlessly stretched-out. I felt that the story gap between the end of the first season and what I had learned in the middle of the fifth season could have been explained in about two episodes, not four seasons, and gave up.

Mr. Robot - Hackers, hoodies, and Rami Malek, should be enough to get me to buy in I suppose.
Again, watched the first season. Enjoyed it enough to keep watching to the end, but didn't feel it warranted another season. Rami Malek is great.

Altered Carbon - Blade Runner fan likes Blade Runner things. Cheap knock-offs or legit cyberpunk itch-scratchers?
I stuck out Altered Carbon (again, Season 1, I guess Season 2 was released a few weeks ago), but it takes a long time to develop its universe so you have to be patient. It was fine but I think it was more style than substance.

So, for all four of these, I've only ever watched the first season. Stranger Things is the only one I have any intention of watching further.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Never been much of a TV fan, so have ambivalently avoided this thread. Only ever truly been an impassioned lover of MST3K, and then, at most, a casual (and most fickle) admirer of Quantum Leap, Lost, House of Cards, Game of Thrones, and most recently The Good Place.

There are however a few titles floating around the TV subspace to have sparked my interest. Wondered if some here could give some informed insight before I exert myself as a professional consumer.

Watchmen - Love the movie and, retroactively, Moore's original creation. Excited by the expansion of the themes and universe, plus high critical praise. Disturbed by the mouth-foaming of rabid comic book fans and Moore zealots.

The Americans - Have a thing for slick spy dramas. Also, oddly, Keri Russell for reasons I cannot fully articulate. Still, 6 seasons is quite a commitment for a guy who can't spare a few half hours for the pool every week.

Altered Carbon / Electric Dreams - Blade Runner fan likes Blade Runner things. Cheap knock-offs or legit cyberpunk itch-scratchers?

Into the Badlands - Huge fan of the roaming samurai genre. Not so much of kung fu classics. A post-apocalyptic Yojimbo sounds all kinds of rad. A Kung Fu clone, I'll pass.

Timeless - My Quantum Leap feels are tingling. A single season of cheesy, soft sci-fi, time travel shenanigans. Like Timecop without "Double the Van Damme" ... which admittedly doesn't leave much. Charmingly goofy or stupidly stupid?
I really like Watchmen. If you liked Lost, then I think you will like Watchmen

If you get a chance, I highly encourage you to watch The Americans. From start to finish including the finale, this is one of my all time favorites. Great acting, great writing, it all builds to a incredible well done series finale. It can be real tricky to deliver a good or adequate series finale but this was fantastic.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I stuck out Altered Carbon (again, Season 1, I guess Season 2 was released a few weeks ago), but it takes a long time to develop its universe so you have to be patient. It was fine but I think it was more style than substance.
I watched season 1 and generally enjoyed it. It does take a while to gain traction but I liked it and was curious how the story would end. I've started season 2 but am only a couple of episodes in. Definitely not one to watch with kids around!!!

I really like Watchmen. If you liked Lost, then I think you will like Watchmen

If you get a chance, I highly encourage you to watch The Americans. From start to finish including the finale, this is one of my all time favorites. Great acting, great writing, it all builds to a incredible well done series finale. It can be real tricky to deliver a good or adequate series finale but this was fantastic.
oh wow, need to now check out watchmen
I heard the Americans is great

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Been meaning to watch Mindhunter for a while now but COVID finally gave me an excuse to binge it and, halfway through the second season, I can say that it is summarily fantastic and a textbook example of how someone can depict the horror of serial killers/horrible people without getting too gratuitous or exploitative.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
This Ken Burns country music documentary series is great (as is most of Ken Burns' work) and since Burns is not a fan of brevity, the coronavirus outbreak should be over by the time I've finished watching it.

My wife and I might binge watch Friday Night Lights (the series) again. Been 5 or so years since we last watched it. Hands down our favorite show.

If it was just me, I could spend a whole weekend watching Band of Brothers or war documentaries. I’m fascinated by strategy n the outcomes that resulted from them.

We have a lot of short up coming weekend trips planned, but looking like the virus is going to change those plans. So much for trying to enjoy the last few months of our lives with no children, before our first arrives in a few.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
My wife and I might binge watch Friday Night Lights (the series) again. Been 5 or so years since we last watched it. Hands down our favorite show.

If it was just me, I could spend a whole weekend watching Band of Brothers or war documentaries. I’m fascinated by strategy n the outcomes that resulted from them.

We have a lot of short up coming weekend trips planned, but looking like the virus is going to change those plans. So much for trying to enjoy the last few months of our lives with no children, before our first arrives in a few.
Congratulations! :)