TV - What's your passion (NON-sports)?

Tried watching The Witcher on Netflix. 2 episodes in and I can’t get traction on it.

watching You on Netflix......has my attention, not great but solid

Watched the first 2 episodes of The Outsider on HBO Sunday. I read the Stephen King book and it’s outstanding. The show is really good. Highly recommend it. Jason Bateman is directing I believe. Ben Mendelson is superb. Has a good intensity about it. The style reminds me a little of True Detective.
Love it and love the cast. However I had no idea they ran episode 1 and 2 on Sunday, so we only watched 1. Last night I’m taking to a friend about it and he goes “can you believe they.....” and proceeded to reveal a huge spoiler LOL FML

Is it new or the one that was on FoxNews (?) a while back?
no, this is the Netflix one that just dropped today. From the same folks who did making a murderer. It’s really good. 2 parts down, 1 to go.
btw have you watched Lincoln Rhyme yet? Plan to start it Friday

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
no, this is the Netflix one that just dropped today. From the same folks who did making a murderer. It’s really good. 2 parts down, 1 to go.
btw have you watched Lincoln Rhyme yet? Plan to start it Friday
I actually liked Lincoln Rhyme more than I expected to. The only problem I foresee is finding a way to make it interesting for those who still remember the whole story of The Bone Collector... I'd actually rather they had a new villain.

The ID Channel is also running a new Aaron Hernandez story. Seems like all the crime channels want their take on the story, much like the Casey Anthony and Scott Peterson cases.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Finished season 1 of Man in the High Castle and while the first half of the season was a bit of a slog (seemed to ramble around a bit and not get moving in any particular direction), it definitely starts hitting its groove in the second half.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I love that we live in a time where the non-Charlie Sheen guy from Two-and-a-Half Men can now play Lex Luthor on a regular basis.
I saw a glimmer of Alan Harper (Jon Cryer) in him the other night. Cryer is one of my favorite comedic actors - vastly underrated IMHO.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bought the Bates Motel DVD set (remember I dont have access to NetFlix). Freddy Hightower is a gifted young actor - first as Norman Bates and now in his current role on The Good Doctor.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's been a while but here are my top 10 (in no particular order):

Prodigal Son
Seal Team
The Walking Dead
This Is Us
The Resident
The Good Doctor
Stumptown
The Masked Singer
Doctor Who
Survivor (Back on the list after a long hiatus with anticipation of the upcoming All-Winners edition)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Picard was pretty much everything I could have wanted from a new TNG sequel and I am rally looking forward to where it goes from here.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Random observation:

I know of very few actors who have had sustaining roles in 4 different series. David Boreanaz certainly has the touch, starting with Buffy the Vampire Slayer, then Angel, then Bones and now Seal Team.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
That was the first episode of Doctor Who that made we go "Wow, what?" (in a good way) since the regime change over. This has been a really solid season in general but this was a step up

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Here are my updated rankings for Mr. Slim's personal Top 10 shows of the 2019-20 season*, as of February 1, 2020:

1. Watchmen (-)
  2. The Good Place (+6)
  3. S.W.A.T. (-1)
  4. Arrow (-)
  5. Stumptown (-2)
  6. WWE NXT (-)
  7. Supergirl (-)
  8. Batwoman (+2)
  9. DC's Legends of Tomorrow (NR)
  10. Killjoys (-5)

* - excludes streaming-exclusive shows

Falling out of the Top Ten: The Flash (-3) [No new episodes in January]

(NR) - Not Previously Ranked
Ranking increase noted in
blue
Ranking decrease noted in red

Two series finales in January. The Good Place went out like a gangster. That makes a minimum of four shows in my current Top 10 for this season, that will definitely not be there next year.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Here are my updated rankings for Mr. Slim's personal Top 10 shows of the 2019-20 season*, as of February 1, 2020:

1. Watchmen (-)
  2. The Good Place (+6)
  3. S.W.A.T. (-1)
  4. Arrow (-)
  5. Stumptown (-2)
  6. WWE NXT (-)
  7. Supergirl (-)
  8. Batwoman (+2)
  9. DC's Legends of Tomorrow (NR)
  10. Killjoys (-5)

* - excludes streaming-exclusive shows

Falling out of the Top Ten: The Flash (-3) [No new episodes in January]

(NR) - Not Previously Ranked
Ranking increase noted in
blue
Ranking decrease noted in red

Two series finales in January. The Good Place went out like a gangster. That makes a minimum of four shows in my current Top 10 for this season, that will definitely not be there next year.
I think I read Watchmen May not come back

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I think I read Watchmen May not come back

Watchmen was one of the four that I was referring to: Watchmen, The Good Place, Arrow and Killjoys have all gone final.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Loathe as I am to admit it, I have joined the 'shipper culture. So, it was a great source of irritation for me, as a Mac/Desi 'shipper, to see that, after they teased this relationship for the entirety of Season 3, they open Season 4 with the revelation that Mac and Desi got together, and subsequently broke up, entirely off-camera, between seasons. Like, I feel cheated!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Loathe as I am to admit it, I have joined the 'shipper culture. So, it was a great source of irritation for me, as a Mac/Desi 'shipper, to see that, after they teased this relationship for the entirety of Season 3, they open Season 4 with the revelation that Mac and Desi got together, and subsequently broke up, entirely off-camera, between seasons. Like, I feel cheated!
You know what I find interesting? George Eads left the series in late 2018 but he's still listed in the credits. Here's the skinny: "George Eads is done with MacGyver. ... The Hollywood Reporter says Eads asked to leave the Atlanta-based series so he could spend more time with his young daughter in Los Angeles. The trade also reports that Eads walked away from the set in October after an “altercation.”Nov 26, 2018"

Finally got around to watching Luck from (2011 HBO show). Acting and cinematography were great as was the show. too bad they got shut down after 1 season, but luckily it wasn’t as if they left us with a huge cliffhanger
season 10 of curb your enthusiasm... hasn’t missed a beat
getting pumped for better call Saul season 5 in about a week
still all in on the outsider.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I actually liked Lincoln Rhyme more than I expected to. The only problem I foresee is finding a way to make it interesting for those who still remember the whole story of The Bone Collector... I'd actually rather they had a new villain.

The ID Channel is also running a new Aaron Hernandez story. Seems like all the crime channels want their take on the story, much like the Casey Anthony and Scott Peterson cases.
Lincoln Rhyme has now broken into my top 10. I love shows that delve into what makes characters click and this one is doing an incredibly good job in that regard.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
You know what I find interesting? George Eads left the series in late 2018 but he's still listed in the credits. Here's the skinny: "George Eads is done with MacGyver. ... The Hollywood Reporter says Eads asked to leave the Atlanta-based series so he could spend more time with his young daughter in Los Angeles. The trade also reports that Eads walked away from the set in October after an “altercation.”Nov 26, 2018"
Well, I don't know how old that information is, but he's not listed in the credits, as of the Season 4 premiere.

I hope that, at some point, we will at least get some sort of flashback that tells us how Mac and Desi got together, and why they broke up, since apparently their entire relationship happened off-screen.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well, I don't know how old that information is, but he's not listed in the credits, as of the Season 4 premiere.

I hope that, at some point, we will at least get some sort of flashback that tells us how Mac and Desi got together, and why they broke up, since apparently their entire relationship happened off-screen.
My bad. I should have been more clear. DishNetwork still lists him as one of the stars in their program guide every week. ;)

I totally agree about Mac and Desi. I think they're doing a good job of showing us the relationship in flashbacks, at least so far. It's a different spin...and thus far hasn't been stupid or cliche.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well, I am about ready to walk away from The Walking Dead.

Tonight's episode was dark (literally - in that most of it was filmed in such poor lighting it was impossible to view), dreary, and without mch substance at all. The "love scene" preamble between Alpha and Negan was stomach turning (some people just should not be shown mostly naked) and the latest plot twist with Carol completely losing it just doesn't match the Carol persona they've developed over the years.

One more disappointing episode and I can find something else to fill that time slot on my DVR.