The new Harry Giles on-the-court PERFORMANCE discussion

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The equine expired. Its bones lay there in the punishing glare of the sun, attacked by scavengers until there was nothing left but a few shards of glittering white calcium-like material. At that point, said material succumbed to the inevitable and turned to dust, blowing away into the great beyond.

Instead of continuing to try to beat the poor beast, why not revel in what we're seeing right now? An emergence of Harry Giles as a player to be reckoned with.

If you want to continue to blame Vlade, please use the thread devoted to his evisceration HERE

If you want to continue to whine about the failure of the Kings to pick up Giles' option, there's already a long thread about it HERE.

The equine expired. Its bones lay there in the punishing glare of the sun, attacked by scavengers until there was nothing left but a few shards of glittering white calcium-like material. At that point, said material succumbed to the inevitable and turned to dust, blowing away into the great beyond.

Instead of continuing to try to beat the poor beast, why not revel in what we're seeing right now? An emergence of Harry Giles as a player to be reckoned with.

If you want to continue to blame Vlade, please use the thread devoted to his evisceration HERE

If you want to continue to whine about the failure of the Kings to pick up Giles' option, there's already a long thread about it HERE.
No.

What is there to revel in? Think about the entire process of how this played out and it's like one bad joke. You walked right into this when you made the thread. Everything positive Giles does makes Vlade look worse; you're able to compartmentalize the two from each other but I don't and a lot of others don't either.

Unless everything breaks right, we're literally developing him for another team so he can contribute against us (which I admit I'd relish).

Bad metaphor; a dead horse implies this is irrelevant, which it isn't considering the guy who made the decision still in charge. It's more like a zombie horse.

I legitimately believe HG will be mentioned in the tier one spot (quite a bit) below Jokic as a passing big man if everything goes right. I’m not backing down from my prediction.
He's going to have to add a ton to his game that we haven't seen yet. Can't average 5+ assists a game by just standing at the elbow and hitting cutters. He's already elite at that but that one play only nets you 2-3 assists on average a game.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
No.

What is there to revel in? Think about the entire process of how this played out and it's like one bad joke. You walked right into this when you made the thread. Everything positive Giles does makes Vlade look worse; you're able to compartmentalize the two from each other but I don't and a lot of others don't either.

Unless everything breaks right, we're literally developing him for another team so he can contribute against us (which I admit I'd relish).

Bad metaphor; a dead horse implies this is irrelevant, which it isn't considering the guy who made the decision still in charge. It's more like a zombie horse.
You choose to ignore the context. If you cannot find a way to enjoy HG's emergence separate from the option decision (which is a dead horse, like it or not) that's on you. You can debate it to your heart's content in the Option thread. Believe it or not, however, there are actually some Kings fans for whom that is not their primary thought.

You choose to ignore the context. If you cannot find a way to enjoy HG's emergence separate from the option decision (which is a dead horse, like it or not) that's on you. You can debate it to your heart's content in the Option thread. Believe it or not, however, there are actually some Kings fans for whom that is not their primary thought.
Oh, I can't. And I will, unabashedly.

But this was all so predictable.

You start some fluffy thread about Giles. Someone brings up the whole option situation because of course they did, why wouldn't they? You come back, make some condescending post where you escalate the argument, filter everyone into the designated threads, and get the last word.

I legitimately believe HG will be mentioned in the tier one spot (quite a bit) below Jokic as a passing big man if everything goes right. I’m not backing down from my prediction.
If Harry continues to put in 30+ min games without issues, I believe you’re right.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
He's going to have to add a ton to his game that we haven't seen yet. Can't average 5+ assists a game by just standing at the elbow and hitting cutters. He's already elite at that but that one play only nets you 2-3 assists on average a game.
He’s got at least one in the quick flip then screen for the shooter (to Bogi and Hield most likely), and while he won’t ever be a major threat in the post, I believe he’ll eventually get comfortable enough to post and make the right pass out.

HG had played so little the last few years. It is great to see him healthy and improving. Sacto is the perfect place for HG. The Fans love him and he is becoming part of the team. HG looked really good in that pick and roll play with Bogdan vs. the Clippers!

I am predicting we Kings Fans get to see the "Wet Bandits", Harry and Marv, play together again before it is all said and done!

No.

Damn man you hate your team that much lol?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I just want Harry to shoot the 18 footer more, and of course make it. Then I want him to extend to the 3 point line. Longer term, if he improves his shooting, he becomes a very good stretch 4, who also plays the 5 at times. I don't think he can suffer the wear and tear if he gets a lot of minutes at the 5. He just doesn't have that body build. I love his passion for the game and hope the Kings can work something out with him for the long term.

I just want Harry to shoot the 18 footer more, and of course make it. Then I want him to extend to the 3 point line. Longer term, if he improves his shooting, he becomes a very good stretch 4, who also plays the 5 at times. I don't think he can suffer the wear and tear if he gets a lot of minutes at the 5. He just doesn't have that body build. I love his passion for the game and hope the Kings can work something out with him for the long term.
I seem to remember that he was shooting the 3 at a reasonable clip in Stockton, but I could be totally off-base.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I seem to remember that he was shooting the 3 at a reasonable clip in Stockton, but I could be totally off-base.
He shot something stupid like 70% from three in three games in Stockton. Lol

He has the range, just not the confidence (?) consistency or very likely the green light yet.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
He shot something stupid like 70% from three in three games in Stockton. Lol

He has the range, just not the confidence (?) consistency or very likely the green light yet.
He hesitates too much shooting the 18 footer and I think it is his hesitancy, not the coach. It probably goes against his disposition to shoot a lot - he obviously like to pass - but I would like to see him get more aggressive with his shot. It will open his up his passing that much more.

Oh, I can't. And I will, unabashedly.

But this was all so predictable.

You start some fluffy thread about Giles. Someone brings up the whole option situation because of course they did, why wouldn't they? You come back, make some condescending post where you escalate the argument, filter everyone into the designated threads, and get the last word.
I think there are many of us that appreciate candor like yours and who generally disagree with the manner in which the mods operate.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I think there are many of us that appreciate candor like yours and who generally disagree with the manner in which the mods operate.
Well, there may not be many, but there are at least a few.

But seeing as you like candor, here's some candor for you and those of like mind: You will not make headway by complaining about the moderation. We try to run a fairly tight ship here. We have numerous times in the past explained why. Your objection to the current moderation policies has been noted, for whatever that is worth (more candor: not much).

Additional candor: We recognize that there are other websites devoted to the Sacramento Kings whose moderation policies are less strict than those at KingsFans.com. We are not jealous. You are perfectly welcome to visit those websites and take advantage of their particular moderation policies, and this is true whether you continue to visit KingsFans.com or not.

Yet more candor: It is rude to be invited into someone's home and then proceed to complain about the furniture. KingsFans.com is a privately-owned website. You are a guest here. We would kindly appreciate you attempting to abide by our rules when you come visit. Thank you.

Well, there may not be many, but there are at least a few.

But seeing as you like candor, here's some candor for you and those of like mind: You will not make headway by complaining about the moderation. We try to run a fairly tight ship here. We have numerous times in the past explained why. Your objection to the current moderation policies has been noted, for whatever that is worth (more candor: not much).

Additional candor: We recognize that there are other websites devoted to the Sacramento Kings whose moderation policies are less strict than those at KingsFans.com. We are not jealous. You are perfectly welcome to visit those websites and take advantage of their particular moderation policies, and this is true whether you continue to visit KingsFans.com or not.

Yet more candor: It is rude to be invited into someone's home and then proceed to complain about the furniture. KingsFans.com is a privately-owned website. You are a guest here. We would kindly appreciate you attempting to abide by our rules when you come visit. Thank you.
Thank you for allowing civil dissent.

I'm glad Harry isn't shooting 18 footers unless he has to. It's one of the worst shots in basketball and you don't want a guy who is just a so-so shooter shooting them. If he can extend his range out to the 3 point line then I'm all for that but I don't want a guy who already struggles with efficiency to be shooting inefficient shots on top of it.

I'm glad Harry isn't shooting 18 footers unless he has to. It's one of the worst shots in basketball and you don't want a guy who is just a so-so shooter shooting them. If he can extend his range out to the 3 point line then I'm all for that but I don't want a guy who already struggles with efficiency to be shooting inefficient shots on top of it.
This is where analytics gets in the way of logic IMO. If Giles doesn't take that 18-foot shot, then teams sag off of him. This takes away his passing lanes which negates one of his biggest assets. Focusing on whether the shot is high percentage or not takes away the fact that the whole offense bogs down and becomes stagnet without it.

This is where analytics gets in the way of logic IMO. If Giles doesn't take that 18-foot shot, then teams sag off of him. This takes away his passing lanes which negates one of his biggest assets. Focusing on whether the shot is high percentage or not takes away the fact that the whole offense bogs down and becomes stagnet without it.
If iffy shooting big men shooting 18 foot jump shots are the key to victory, how come other teams aren't employing that scheme?

Teams are going to give him that 18 footer all day because he'll never be able to make it at a high enough clip to justify changing the defense to prevent him from taking it. WCS was a decent passer and him taking those elbow jumpers just resulted in clank after clank.

The guys that can make that shot at a high enough clip are all good enough shooters to be able to stretch out to the 3 point line to take the more effective shot....which is why you don't see it as often as you did pre analytics.