The new Harry Giles on-the-court PERFORMANCE discussion

HG is my favorite King. If his knees hold up, he can be a valuable and important teammate. Maybe eventually averaging 20/10 plus 5-6 assists and 1-2 blocks per game. No, he’s not going to be Gobert. But how many Goberts can there be? I just pray that the Front Office didn’t lose him by being cheap or by misjudging his upside.
Give em hell, Harry!
I love Giles I really do but 20/10/6 ain’t happening

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I love Giles I really do but 20/10/6 ain’t happening
Yeah, he's not a natural enough scorer at this point to score 20 points a game with any consistency. Doesn't mean he won't become a great player in this league but Bogi may have been on the money with his Draymond comparison (at least on offense).

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Yeah, he's not a natural enough scorer at this point to score 20 points a game with any consistency. Doesn't mean he won't become a great player in this league but Bogi may have been on the money with his Draymond comparison (at least on offense).
I do agree with that. He isn’t as natural at scoring as I thought he’d be.

I can see 15/10/5. He’s already a solid rebounder and garbage man, which will only get better with time, size, and experience. The more the team gets comfortable letting him initiate, the more the assist numbers will go up. & Scrapping on defense the entire time.

I do agree with that. He isn’t as natural at scoring as I thought he’d be.

I can see 15/10/5. He’s already a solid rebounder and garbage man, which will only get better with time, size, and experience. The more the team gets comfortable letting him initiate, the more the assist numbers will go up. & Scrapping on defense the entire time.
He will NEVER average close to 15/10/5

He will NEVER average close to 15/10/5
I say "maybe," and you say "NEVER." Gee I guess you must know for sure.
Whatever Harry averages in the future will depend on his role and his minutes. Last year, between the all-star break and his mystery injury, he showed he could fill up a stat sheet, including scoring points. When Bags went out, Harry became more of a scorer.
When he gets his opportunity to soar, he'll score better than some of you think.

Harry is good at everything but scoring. He is a great passer, good rebounder and provides weak side help inside which the Kings really need. He is a good defender. Scoring does not seem to come naturally to him like some players with the same ability. He can be more aggressive on offense. A lot of teams back off on him. He can shoot from 15-18 feet. Maybe he is too unselfish.

I say "maybe," and you say "NEVER." Gee I guess you must know for sure.
Whatever Harry averages in the future will depend on his role and his minutes. Last year, between the all-star break and his mystery injury, he showed he could fill up a stat sheet, including scoring points. When Bags went out, Harry became more of a scorer.
When he gets his opportunity to soar, he'll score better than some of you think.
Actually the points is not the problem. And he could probably come close to the rebounds also.

It's the 5 assists. Webber had ONE season of 15+, 10+ and 5, and about 5 or 6 where he was pretty close. Vlade only had one season of averaging 5 assists, but never anything close to 15 10 and 5.

Giles COULD average 15 10 and POSSIBLY 3.5 for a season with the playing time and role, starting and logging 30 mins, and the proper scheme. However, it's not likely he will ever have a season averaging 5 assists.

So, I apologize. I wont say NEVER. But it's a 99.9% chance I am right.

Cool. Can I have tonights lottery numbers too?
You do realize how hard it is to average 15-10-5? Let's be realistic. I LOVE HG. But averaging those numbers is VERY hard.

If he had said 15-9-4 I would think it's WAY more realistic. There is a very LARGE gap for a big to average 4 assists versus 5. We had 2 of the best passing big men of all time and between them they both averaged 5+ assists maybe 5 time together in both of their careers.

Big men dont routinely average 5 assists unless they are HOF worthy realistically.

Harry is good at everything but scoring. He is a great passer, good rebounder and provides weak side help inside which the Kings really need. He is a good defender. Scoring does not seem to come naturally to him like some players with the same ability. He can be more aggressive on offense. A lot of teams back off on him. He can shoot from 15-18 feet. Maybe he is too unselfish.
I think it is he is too unselfish. He has pretty good touch from mid range and around the .hoop but a lot of times when he is open around 15-18 feet he never even looks at the hoop and is looking for cutters. He has glue guy and X-factor written all over him.

I hope we keep him but either way it was a ridiculously stupid decision to penny pinch on his option and give up 5 years of club control and our best chance to keep him is to pay him what he would’ve been owed without keeping him under the flag.

There was no grand plan there and any result is major egg on the face. They didn’t envision him getting the oppurtunity to make the FO eat it like he is right now with Holmes and Bagley out, and Dedmon gone. He was supposed to be effectively buried so we can keep him for a fraction of what he would’ve been owed or just justify getting rid of him all together. Health wise, he has been the most reliable big on the team this season outside of Bjeli so other teams might not be scared to make an investment in him this offseason that the Kings can’t complete with if he finishes the season as a starter or still playing 20+ minutes with no injuries on top of his clear improvement.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
You do realize how hard it is to average 15-10-5? Let's be realistic. I LOVE HG. But averaging those numbers is VERY hard.
Only 15 players have ever averaged those numbers for a season (34 total seasons). Six of those belong to PGs (Robertson 3x, Westbrook 3x) and two to a SF (Elgin Baylor, 2x). The big men:

Larry Bird (5x)
Wilt Chamberlain (4x)
Kevin Garnett (3x)
Nikola Jokic (3x...so far)
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (2x)
Giannis Antetokounmpo (2x...so far)
Charles Barkley (1x)
Billy Cunningham (1x)
Bob Kauffman (1x)
Anthony Mason (1x...I did not expect that)
Maurice Stokes (1x)
Chris Webber (1x)
Sidney Wicks (1x)

So, yeah, those numbers are pretty lofty.

Only 15 players have ever averaged those numbers for a season (34 total seasons). Six of those belong to PGs (Robertson 3x, Westbrook 3x) and two to a SF (Elgin Baylor, 2x). The big men:

Larry Bird (5x)
Wilt Chamberlain (4x)
Kevin Garnett (3x)
Nikola Jokic (3x...so far)
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (2x)
Giannis Antetokounmpo (2x...so far)
Charles Barkley (1x)
Billy Cunningham (1x)
Bob Kauffman (1x)
Anthony Mason (1x...I did not expect that)
Maurice Stokes (1x)
Chris Webber (1x)
Sidney Wicks (1x)

So, yeah, those numbers are pretty lofty.
Pretty much SLAB will win with any lottery numbers before Giles gets 15/10/5

I think the Kings have a bit of a question now with Giles/Bagley/Holmses. Giles is clearly a playmaker, more so than the other 2., and is melding more with the starting unit. Some of the starting players, Barnes and Bogdan are playing off Giles better. The team as a whole is passing better than they were post trades. At this point, I dont mind the others taking healing time off, for Giles development. I agree with others questioning dropping his extension. It might be a dollars and cents thing - I dunno.