The ONE AND ONLY Luka Doncic discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching luka play against the kings...........I just gotta shake my head and laugh! KANGZZZZ!

I woulda rather had him running the team instead of Fox. He looks like the real floor general.

I heard a good comparison the other day. What the kings did, it would have been like the warriors not drafting curry because they didn't want to take the ball out of monta ellis's hands.
This nearly did happen. The Warriors has a trade agreed with the Suns for Amare because they wanted to pair Monta and Amare together as they thought that would be a dynamo duo.

Suns saw Curry as Nash’s successor and future franchise player.

...all that until that snaky bastard Donnie Nelson goes back on his word and changes his mind on the trade.

Is anybody else salting their food with tears after looking at this potential lineup the Kings could have had:

1, Trade Fox for Porz from Knicks.
2. Draft LD
3. Sign Holmes

Bogi
Buddy
LD
Porz
Holmes
After Fox rookie season how do you not take a Porzingis deal a run that dudes a unicorn, who doesn’t recover from all injuries this isn’t 1999.
crap I was down to trade Fox to get Trae Young than draft Luka

After Fox rookie season how do you not take a Porzingis deal a run that dudes a unicorn, who doesn’t recover from all injuries this isn’t 1999.
At the time I fully agreed against it. But hindsight is 20/20 and Dallas took a risk and it is paying off. Having Fox was the deterrent to drafting LD.

At the time I fully agreed against it. But hindsight is 20/20 and Dallas took a risk and it is paying off. Having Fox was the deterrent to drafting LD.
I would have drafted Luka being prepared to see how he and Fox run together. I don't recall when the Kings/Knicks inquiry was made, but by the time in the season that Dallas made the KP trade it would have been clear that you could build around Luka and that Fox could be parted with.

I would have said the same that I did for Dallas, that it was a big swing with some risk, but worth it because if it pans out you have the two most difficult assets to find: a big creating wing and a unicorn big man. That's where you need to expend your resources, not on spot-up shooters or big men who score inside. Those are replacement level assets that you can find by hitting on a lower 1st rounder or an MLE contract (as proved by Holmes). Much like running backs in the NFL.

I would have drafted Luka being prepared to see how he and Fox run together. I don't recall when the Kings/Knicks inquiry was made, but by the time in the season that Dallas made the KP trade it would have been clear that you could build around Luka and that Fox could be parted with.

I would have said the same that I did for Dallas, that it was a big swing with some risk, but worth it because if it pans out you have the two most difficult assets to find: a big creating wing and a unicorn big man. That's where you need to expend your resources, not on spot-up shooters or big men who score inside. Those are replacement level assets that you can find by hitting on a lower 1st rounder or an MLE contract (as proved by Holmes). Much like running backs in the NFL.
Reports are NYK called us at draft time for the trade so we basically chose Fox/Bagley over Luka/Porzingis. Which is worse than passing on Luka all together when you think about it.

Reports are NYK called us at draft time for the trade so we basically chose Fox/Bagley over Luka/Porzingis. Which is worse than passing on Luka all together when you think about it.
I think I would still have done it then knowing I would have Luka, but it would have been harder not having seen LD play in the league yet and with KP a full year away. Although, this would have been before Fox's second year advancement, so even expecting progress from him, it kind of balances out the decision process.

I think the big mitigating factor that is always forgotten is that Porzingis had blown out his knee midseason, was projected to miss the entire next season (he did), and our pick belonged to Boston. Now, that last point gets back to Vlade being a bad GM, but still. At the time, I advocated trading Fox for Isaac, Gordon, or Zinger. Of course, I understood the Bagley thinking, too, and have supported him. Anyway.

From someone who saw the mavs postgame interview with luka:

Reporter said Walton has a beef with Doncic. Doncic and Walton were going back and forth on the sideline. Doncic said Walton said something to him, he didn’t like.
Doncic said eat this! I am going to own you and your team for the next 10 years.

I’ll put my money on luka all day. The kings are such a mess.
hahaha we deserve it, should have said to Vlade's face.

Poor Vivek, the basketball world just cannot stop laughing at this organization.

And it was so easily preventable.

To finally have all the chips falls into place after countless years of being atrocious, only to come out of it even more of a laughing stock.

Worse, Sac blowing it up and rebuilding was meant to happen on a timeline where the team rises after the previous generations leading other teams retired and fell off. But looking at the West going forward many other teams have already reloaded with a core which will be together for years. In fact the only team ahead of Sac in the standings which seems somewhat hopeless currently is SA. Then the Warriors get Steph/Klay back next season. Dallas, Memphis, NO will only improve. Portland will get Nurkic back at some point. Utah, Den and both LA teams are set for years.

Point being, Sac's nucleus could be healthy and take a real step forward next season and still have a helluva fight to be in the 8th seed convo. And that's "if" Vivek doesn't go on a firing spree. The talk around this team again suggests more instability than any of the competitors.

Last edited:
If Marvin ever reads this board I feel bad for the dude lol. Hes getting torched by media like in the gif above, and he's become like 75% disliked on Kingsfans if I had to put a figure on it. Some of that is due in part to Luka's meteoric rise.

That said, even if Luka had been picked first, Bagley would still be getting harshly criticized because he's also not Trae Young, Jaren Jackson or (lately) Deandre Ayton.

But that falls on Vlade.

Last edited:
From what I've seen this is by far the most positive place about the team.

But just about everywhere fans are completely fed up. The organization has no one to blame but themselves.

The current situation is well earned by this franchise. Sac, hands down, has been the worst run organization in the NBA since 2006. And there's no end in sight. Ownership appears angry, Vlade/Walton and Co might be on the hot seat, building thru the draft has already proven a pointless exercise and there's little cap flexibility. The team can't even gets its training staff sorted out. The ex-head trainer questions this organization up and down.

I think some don't realize just how bad this is.

Below are the longest playoff droughts in NBA history.

If the Kings don't make it this year which would require a miracle, they will be one season away from tying the all-time NBA record. This team has already tied the 2nd longest playoff drought in league history. The Knicks under Dolan are a train wreck which get blasted by media every day here in NY and they don't even show up on the above list. Even if one ignores the pre-Vivek era, he bought the team in May, 2013. This is his 7th season. If the team doesn't make the playoffs it is tied for the 15th long playoff drought in league history under Vivek. In other words, being a new owner in no way is an excuse.

No wonder the fan base at large has turned on the FO and ownership. It's not just a bad decision here or there. What could have been is on tv every night. Just make the obvious decision and it's the Kings which are must see tv, heading to the playoffs, all over TNT and ESPN.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If Marvin ever reads this board I feel bad for the dude lol. Hes getting torched by media like in the gif above, and he's become like 75% disliked on Kingsfans if I had to put a figure on it. Some of that is due in part to Luka's meteoric rise.

That said, even if Luka had been picked first, Bagley would still be getting harshly criticized because he's also not Trae Young, Jaren Jackson or (lately) Deandre Ayton.

But that falls on Vlade.
I think you're vastly overestimating the animus towards Bagley. Disliked by 75% of the people on KF? I strongly doubt it.

I think you're vastly overestimating the animus towards Bagley. Disliked by 75% of the people on KF? I strongly doubt it.
Yea, maybe. The people who dislike him are very vocal which probably influences my figure too much. Then there's people who haven't really talked about Bagley at all. And then there's the people who defend him, but aren't nearly as passionate as the detractors. It's hard to effectively gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.