[Game] Kings at Bucks, Monday Feb. 10, 5 PM PT/8 PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sleep-walk to start the 4th quarter was all the Bucks needed. Kings played a good 2 quarters - 2nd and 3rd. They could've used Bagley tonight. Not sure they would've ever wrestled the lead away had the Greek played.

To me, this game is all about Fox. If he wins in the Bledsoe matchup, Kings win. If not, they lose 9 times out of 10. Eventually, Fox is going to have to figure it out against Bledsoe and the Bucks.
He had a tough game but this was a new ball game in the 4th. Walton needs to keep the small ball but he's got to toss that Yogi, Joseph, Buddy lineup. I almost expect them to start singing "It's a small world after all!".

Kingster

Hall of Famer
He had a tough game but this was a new ball game in the 4th. Walton needs to keep the small ball but he's got to toss that Yogi, Joseph, Buddy lineup. I almost expect them to start singing "It's a small world after all!".
I hate that ride at Disneyland!

I wish the Kings had Dedmon for this game. It sucks to not have the player you traded who you could have used bigtime and then not yet have the players you traded for.

To me, this game is all about Fox. If he wins in the Bledsoe matchup, Kings win. If not, they lose 9 times out of 10. Eventually, Fox is going to have to figure it out against Bledsoe and the Bucks.
Fox was forcing too many drives looking for foul calls.....he has a fairly effective mid-range game that he barely used, but was there to play. Seems like no one gave him the hint? The offense fell apart after surrendering the 8/10 point lead. It was a disappointing game because the Kings certainly could've played cleaner and smarter. Their defense was pretty good all-in-all.

I hate that ride at Disneyland!

I wish the Kings had Dedmon for this game. It sucks to not have the player you traded who you could have used bigtime and then not yet have the players you traded for.
I really hope that there was some sense in bringing in Parker. If they brought in Parker to be a back up SF then this will go nowhere in a hurry. Maybe, just maybe he could be the key to keeping this mighty midget backcourt off the floor.

And the coaches need to be better at reading the situation. This games undoing was undoubtedly that 4 guard lineup with Yogi and Joseph together. How can you start cold in the 4th with that same lineup after it's first stint? Yogi with a -10 and it was OBVIOUS as to why. Well, 9 to go before this season is likely nipped in the bud.
Yep, that was a bad idea - a non-starter.....true.

The Kings made the game competitive, but too many missed open shots, careless turnovers, and lack of defensive stops sealed their fate. Barnes and maybe Bjelica seemed like the only Sacramento players that really were able to get into a groove offensively. Fox, Buddy, and even Bogi clearly did not play their best.

Fox was forcing too many drives looking for foul calls.....he has a fairly effective mid-range game that he barely used, but was there to play. Seems like no one gave him the hint? The offense fell apart after surrendering the 8/10 point lead. It was a disappointing game because the Kings certainly could've played cleaner and smarter. Their defense was pretty good all-in-all.
I think the defense was horrid. Too many easy drives.

It's not a coaching loss per se. But that lineup was horrible. Lopez abused that lineup.
Yeah, there were other factors. Like, how insulting was that for Fox to finally get a cheap call going for him once Walton complained and the game was already out of reach? No respect. Still, we saw some of that panic again. He did indeed blow up his rotation and didn't prepare for the 4th well enough.

UGH.

What an awful 4th. Had the game right where they needed it to be to start the quarter against a beatable team too. Disappointing.

I can't recall Swipa missing so many bunnies at the basket as he did tonight. Frustrating.

Wasted a hot shooting performance from Barnes because, as usual, they don't make a concerted effort to get the hot player the ball, unless that player is Buddy Hield.

Buddy showed, again, his BBIQ when he drove into the lane and instead of passing to a wide open Barnes who had just hit 3 consecutive 3's, he opts to throw an off line pass to Swipa in the corner that went out of bounds.

If Buddy had hit 3 in a row and didn't get the ball next time down if he was wide open you know he'd be livid.

The game isn't as difficult as some players make it somethimes. If a player is hot and wide open, make an effort to get the ball to them until the defense starts taking them away. SMH.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Fox was forcing to many drives looking for foul calls.....he has a fairly effective mid-range game that he barely used, but was there to play. Seems like no one gave him the hint? The offense fell apart after surrendering the 8/10 point lead. It was a disappointing game because the Kings certainly could've played cleaner and smarter. Their defense was pretty good all-in-all.
This is the game that underscores what everybody, including Fox, knows: He needs to master the 3 point shot. Period. End of Story. End of Universe and Time as we know it. He was not confident with his outside shot, and was therefore overthinking many things out on the floor. If he hits his outside shot there would have been an entirely different outcome in this game.

This is the game that underscores what everybody, including Fox, knows: He needs to master the 3 point shot. Period. End of Story. End of Universe and Time as we know it. He was not confident with his outside shot, and was therefore overthinking many things out on the floor. If he hits his outside shot there would have been an entirely different outcome in this game.
Honestly, I've said this several times since Fox entered the league.....he reminds me an awful lot of Mike Conley - who himself who mastered the 3, so its doable.

Fox was forcing too many drives looking for foul calls.....he has a fairly effective mid-range game that he barely used, but was there to play. Seems like no one gave him the hint?
I agree. when he went up his scoring average a couple games back a huge part of it was because of his mid-range ability.

Why would Parker as a backup SF be a bad idea?
Because he's like Barnes in a way where his true value is that he has some SF skills but is best at PF or C in mismatch lineups. If he plays SF then you have to use his ability to post smaller players. He's just not a single position player. It's likely not wise to put him with big lineups that can't spread for instance. You have to know how to use him as a coach. Walton is starting to see, well I hope he is at least, the mismatch potential the Kings have as a small ball lineup. He just needs to realize what works and what doesn't. Like I said earlier in the thread, the best small ball teams rarely play truly small across more than 1 position and hardly ever at more than 2. Yogi, Joseph, Buddy, and Bazemore is small across every position and can't really switch well because Yogi can't help down low and gets caught on bigger players. Now if all else fails go to the super smalls but not as a first choice and only for offensive reasons.

I don't think Jabari is going to see alot of time at the 3. The last 2 seasons he's shot 29% and 27% from 3. Teams will be feasting on that. Teams don't respect his shot from range. In fact, he's never shot more than 32%. So, he is no threat to usurp Barnes at the 3. Parker cannot play stretch 4, for the reasons I just outlined. He could provide some extra scoring off the bench. But, for a player that is with his 6th team in 5 years. Jabari is reknown as a horrible defender. You can check every statistical category on how bad his D is. He will not get a lot of minutes in tight games. But, then again it's Walton. Jabari will probably pick up his option. No team is paying this guy 6mil. He will probably be a King next year. Unless they trade him or buy him out if he stinks.

I think he was referring to the 3 that put Bucks up 111-100 he went to the wrong player allowing Bucks to pass around perimeter two times for open 3. but i mean this scoreline is a sum of many things that happened tonight (by this I dont mean many things by Buddy but in general)
Re-watched the play. Buddy stays with his man and doesn't switch (not sure whose fault - him or Barnes, but clearly a miscommunication). Note there wasn't actually a hard pick set or anything, it would be a perfectly normal play for Buddy and Barnes to both stick with their guys. Buddy and Barnes end up guarding Bledsoe, ball gets swung on a short pass to Middleton (who was Barnes' original assignment), Buddy starts running over to cover but so does Bogi (leaving DiVincenzo) and as Middleton swings to DiVincenzo Buddy goes over right away but is just a split second too late.

Wouldn't say this was bad D by Hield in this instance - it started with a miscomm with Barnes and Buddy not being on the same page, but watching the play you could easily also say that Bogi shouldn't have rotated to Middleton because Buddy would have also been there.

I don't think Jabari is going to see alot of time at the 3. The last 2 seasons he's shot 29% and 27% from 3. Teams will be feasting on that. Teams don't respect his shot from range. In fact, he's never shot more than 32%. So, he is no threat to usurp Barnes at the 3. Parker cannot play stretch 4, for the reasons I just outlined. He could provide some extra scoring off the bench. But, for a player that is with his 6th team in 5 years. Jabari is reknown as a horrible defender. You can check every statistical category on how bad his D is. He will not get a lot of minutes in tight games. But, then again it's Walton. Jabari will probably pick up his option. No team is paying this guy 6mil. He will probably be a King next year. Unless they trade him or buy him out if he stinks.
Yeah, I think the injury did him in. He was well on his way to a season that would probably have led to him getting a bump by some team next year but he saw the meatiest part of his breakout season disappear with the shoulder. And my concerns are all about usage since so much of this season has been wasted in a variety of ways basically because of that. Buddy being used as a swing passer up top. Dedmon running high post play. Barnes being stuck on the perimeter. Not spacing well because your lineups can't space. These were all correctable things and my hope is that is wasn't by chance injuries to multiple players that forced his hand into changing things up for the better. Throwing in a Jabari Parker of all people can potentially work very well with his iso abilities, but it could also be very bad if they try to conform him into being a standard wing in the lineup. As far as this season goes there isn't enough time to have a stretch where they figure things out. 9 losses to go is probably the max bet otherwise you're just hoping for teams above you to fall apart.

Isn't that the time of the year? Where Sac fans look up at the 2-3 teams ahead of them for that last spot. This year it happens to be the Blazers and Grizz. Hoping for those teams to go on a major losing streak. Losers mentality never works. If Kings took care of business earlier in the year against awful teams, they would be in the mix.

Re-watched the play. Buddy stays with his man and doesn't switch (not sure whose fault - him or Barnes, but clearly a miscommunication). Note there wasn't actually a hard pick set or anything, it would be a perfectly normal play for Buddy and Barnes to both stick with their guys. Buddy and Barnes end up guarding Bledsoe, ball gets swung on a short pass to Middleton (who was Barnes' original assignment), Buddy starts running over to cover but so does Bogi (leaving DiVincenzo) and as Middleton swings to DiVincenzo Buddy goes over right away but is just a split second too late.

Wouldn't say this was bad D by Hield in this instance - it started with a miscomm with Barnes and Buddy not being on the same page, but watching the play you could easily also say that Bogi shouldn't have rotated to Middleton because Buddy would have also been there.
As I mentioned I don't think that particular play is to blame for anything but I read it differently. Maybe there is an initial miscommunication, but once Barnes does not follow his man Buddy should be the one to realize he has to go to him as Barnes is to his right and cannot get there. Buddy waits until the ball is passed tracking his man together with Barnes and once the pass is made there was no way for Buddy to get there in time which is why Bogdan rotated. But basically it looked to me that Buddy should have realized a second earlier that Barnes was switching and adjusted accordingly. Again all this neither here nor there. Its definitely not the worst of our defensive possesions...

Isn't that the time of the year? Where Sac fans look up at the 2-3 teams ahead of them for that last spot. This year it happens to be the Blazers and Grizz. Hoping for those teams to go on a major losing streak. Losers mentality never works. If Kings took care of business earlier in the year against awful teams, they would be in the mix.
Well nuggets came back to beat the spurs and suns are losing to the lakers. Even winners won’t turn down help if it’s given to them.

The bucks play defense. They gave Fox fits in the paint all night long. He started to doubt himself and heard the foot steps. They also play team offense and move the ball extremely well. Well coached. You can only make a few errors and stay in a game with them.

The Kings played a good first 3 quarters. Lopez had his way in the first half. The small ball team slowed them down some, but gave up way too many layups tonight. Live by the 3, and die by the 3. The Bucks owned the fourth quarter.

The Kings can beat a lot of teams with the performance tonight.

The bucks play defense. They gave Fox fits in the paint all night long. He started to doubt himself and heard the foot steps. They also play team offense and move the ball extremely well. Well coached. You can only make a few errors and stay in a game with them.

The Kings played a good first 3 quarters. Lopez had his way in the first half. The small ball team slowed them down some, but gave up way too many layups tonight. Live by the 3, and die by the 3. The Bucks owned the fourth quarter.

The Kings can beat a lot of teams with the performance tonight.

That's why their 21-32. Oh, yes that Giannis guy wasn't there tonite. Kings lose by 30 if he's playing and it's not even close. The Only teams Kings beat consistently. None. Every Bad team in the league has victories against good teams. Kings beating the CLips without Kawhi, Heat without Butler. GIve me a break. Kings don't win any of those games against those teams at full strength. Good teams are consistent. Kings can't even spell the word.

Because he's like Barnes in a way where his true value is that he has some SF skills but is best at PF or C in mismatch lineups. If he plays SF then you have to use his ability to post smaller players. He's just not a single position player. It's likely not wise to put him with big lineups that can't spread for instance. You have to know how to use him as a coach. Walton is starting to see, well I hope he is at least, the mismatch potential the Kings have as a small ball lineup. He just needs to realize what works and what doesn't. Like I said earlier in the thread, the best small ball teams rarely play truly small across more than 1 position and hardly ever at more than 2. Yogi, Joseph, Buddy, and Bazemore is small across every position and can't really switch well because Yogi can't help down low and gets caught on bigger players. Now if all else fails go to the super smalls but not as a first choice and only for offensive reasons.
In a perfect world you would never play Yogi and CoJo on the court with Parker and Barnes. He would be perfectly fine with Fox/Bogie/Barnes/Parker/Bjelica type lineups

I got to give credit where it's due Barnes has been the MVP the last two games we have played.

As long as Bledsoe is healthy we are not beating a team with him on it, he straight owns Fox/Buddy (other Bucks guards were solid as well) it's to the point where Fox can't make open lay ups when he plays the Bucks, I saw Bledsoe do the exact same thing everytime he plays Conley from the first time he completely took him out of the playoffs playing for the Clippers.

As I mentioned I don't think that particular play is to blame for anything but I read it differently. Maybe there is an initial miscommunication, but once Barnes does not follow his man Buddy should be the one to realize he has to go to him as Barnes is to his right and cannot get there. Buddy waits until the ball is passed tracking his man together with Barnes and once the pass is made there was no way for Buddy to get there in time which is why Bogdan rotated. But basically it looked to me that Buddy should have realized a second earlier that Barnes was switching and adjusted accordingly. Again all this neither here nor there. Its definitely not the worst of our defensive possesions...
Fair enough

Status
Not open for further replies.