The ONE AND ONLY Luka Doncic discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posited at the time that we should draft Luka and trade Fox, but the above comment is fairly naive, and indicative of a common misperception amongst the general fan base. One, Fox and Luka would not have played together. Fox would have immediately demanded a trade. Fox is quite sharp, and he and his team knew all along what Luka was. Second, Fox did not have sky high value at the time. In fact, he had lost value over his rookie year. Realistic scenarios were getting an injured Zinger (who sat out the entirety of the ensuing season) or perhaps a Johhny Isaac also coming off significant injury. Bottom line, last year would have been really bad, and Boston would have gotten a very high pick. In the long run, that’s maybe best for us as fans. Anyway, what seems almost certain is that if Vlade picked Luka he would have been fired last year, and by not picking Luka he’ll (very likely) be fired after this year. Fascinating case study, really.
I love how you said those highlighted parts, parts that are hypothetical at best, in such guaranteed fashion, with impunity.

Why would we have been any worse last year let’s say Fox does demand a trade and we did trade him for Porzingis which we should have done. Luka was at 21/8/6 last year he produced in his rookie year he was better than fox add in how well he’d fit with Bogi/Buddy there’s no way we would’ve been that much worse or have had Vlade fired.
At the end of the day we picked “fit“ with Fox/Bagley pairing....which you never do. Would the Blazers have been bummed out to have to trade Clyde Drexer? Or course not. They could have drafted jordan and cut Clyde and history would have been theirs. Right now, you offer Fox and Bagley to the mavs for luka and you get laughed out of the room. Hell, Cuban says no on draft night.

If I can go back in time and yank Brandon Williams out of the draft room that’s the first thing I’d do. As usual, this franchise overthinks everything and gets cute when the obvious answer was right the for the taking.

I still can’t belive he’s this good man as high as I was on him I expected him to be a 20/5/5 guy with decent defense. If he has 20/5/5 now you’re asking yourself what went wrong why did he have a bad game

And how do we even know Joerger is telling the truth it’s easy to say that now especially when you don’t like the franchise.

Same crap that the colts old him did literally 10 years later he comes out and says he had Peyton Manning over Leaf on draft day, easy to say that crap after the fact
I mean there's no way to prove it but the overwhelmingly majority of the fan base wanted Luka so it wouldn't surprise me at all that a good basketball mind like Joerger would too.

** Moved from the Kings vs Mavs Game Thread, as it is now locked**

Dude all I literally asked is if the completely hypothetical situation brought up involves the player in question missing most of the season due to injury.
I genuinely like you and I appreciate your contribution to this forum. I wish we had many more posters like you. But you are making it difficult to engage on anything that resembles criticism. And as a fellow fan I do wish to discuss criticism constructively.

Your answer merely confirms my reference to your deflecting approach: pointing out your comment was a "completely hypothetical situation", which is literally deflecting. I was not discussing hypothetical situations. I do not often engage in discussions regarding claims such as "just wait, player *insert name* will tear it up in a few years' time", simply because I have no idea what may or may not happen in the future.

I was trying to pick your brains on a factual event: On June 21 2018 the Kings passed on a talent that in all probabilities would have changed the course of the franchise. I am not in the "moaning" camp. I accept that Luka will most likely not wear a Kings' jersey any time soon.

My question to you is different: do you think that someone needs to be held accountable? Do you think that by holding people accountable the organisation sends a message that will make it better moving forward? Or perhaps you believe that labeling this as a "Kings" mistake, never mentioning it and moving on is a better course of action? Are you of the opinion that it is still too early to ask these questions?
Perhaps more fundamentally: do you agree that by reflecting on actions and decisions made in the past we can improve moving forward?

BTW - I have never called for the firing of any person in the organisation. The only people I was clear I wanted far away from the Sacramento Kings were the Maloofs (and even then I could not technically "fire" them). So unless you have evidence to the contrary, kindly refrain from labeling me "a moaner" or a "fire Vlade" supporter.

I’ve kept myself out of the Luka thread because some of y’all are too sensitive.
Please... this reads like an unnecessary snide.

Who is "y'all"? As far as I know my comment only represented my thoughts. I never argued anything on behalf of anyone else, let alone an unnamed (hypothetical?) group of people. Suggesting that anything in my post addressed to you was "too sensitive", and insinuating you somehow hold an intellectual cool-headed higher ground, is - quite frankly - merely deflecting.

Longing for Luka: Why Kings fans can’t move on from the Mavs star miss

By Sam Amick 3h ago

SACRAMENTO – Midway through last season, former Kings coach Dave Joerger was sitting courtside at the Golden 1 Center before a February home game when he decided to make light of a subject that was weighing heavily on the Kings’ long-struggling franchise.

This was pre-tipoff in the NBA, that time when hoops colleagues talk shop while players warm up and the crowd trickles in. And Joerger, the former Memphis Grizzlies coach who has been known to share his views on his team’s personnel in any setting, no matter who it might pee off, had an uncomfortable joke to share about the Dallas Mavericks’ Luka Doncic.

He had been chatting with a member of the Mavericks’ staff who was in town that day, and was seated near the general manager, Kings legend Vlade Divac, who was behind the choice to take big man Marvin Bagley III out of Duke with the No. 2 pick rather than the Slovenian sensation in Doncic. They were hardly alone on this front, as Phoenix took center...

https://theathletic.com/1541189/202...gs-fans-cant-move-on-from-the-mavs-star-miss/

joeger did want luka. Exactly what I remember leading up to the draft.

I’m also looking forward to hearing grant call Sam amick on his BS article because yesterday grant said anyone who thought joeger wanted luka and made it known was just peddling in lies.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Grant; “IF YOU LOVE LUKA DONCIC GO ROOT FOR THE MAVRICKS.”

Pulling the “We also didn’t take Lillard, Giannis, etc” card as well.

Lol

“YOURE NOT A REAL FAN IF YOURE KILLING MARVIN BAGLEY AND LOVE LUKA DONCIC”

Grant; “IF YOU LOVE LUKA DONCIC GO ROOT FOR THE MAVRICKS.”

Pulling the “We also didn’t take Lillard, Giannis, etc” card as well.

Lol

“YOURE NOT A REAL FAN IF YOURE KILLING MARVIN BAGLEY AND LOVE LUKA DONCIC”
Grant "Skip" Bayless at his finest. No one should be killing Bagley though, it's not his fault.

This Amick piece really bums me out. I really have no hope right now in the decision makers, but I'm also weary of constant change.... I dunno man... I just don't know.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Is this also the de-facto Mavs thread?
The de facto what, now?

Rooting for players not on the Kings is one thing; a LOT of us have done that. But I think that, at the point at which you are rooting hard enough for a whole other team that you start intimating that there might - even hypothetically, even facetiously and in jest - be a need for that team to have a dedicated thread on KingsFans.com, it might be time to drop all pretenses, and just secede.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The de facto what, now?

Rooting for players not on the Kings is one thing; a LOT of us have done that. But I think that, at the point at which you are rooting hard enough for a whole other team that you start intimating that there might - even hypothetically, even facetiously and in jest - be a need for that team to have a dedicated thread on KingsFans.com, it might be time to drop all pretenses, and just secede.
^^ If I’m watching a game for a single guy, there’s still a good chance I’ll just want to talk about or mention something that happens with others in the game. Figured posting it here where others are probably watching the same game would be most appropriate.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
^^ If I’m watching a game for a single guy, there’s still a good chance I’ll just want to talk about or mention something that happens with others in the game. Figured posting it here where others are probably watching the same game would be most appropriate.
I mean, I guess. If you say so. It just seems to me like you're ready to get like your mans Paul, from the Sprint commercials, and switch uniforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.