Kings @ Warriors - Sunday, Dec. 15 - 5:30PT/8:30ET

What will WCS do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
As for Golden State I've no idea. In regards to changing to San Francisco, I think they didn't do it because they didn't want to alienate their east bay fanbase.
They were originally the San Francisco Warriors when they moved out here from Philly in 1962. They originally played in S.F. but later started playing more - and then all - of their home games at the Coliseum in Oakland. In 1971 they dropped "San Francisco" for "Golden State", presumably because they were technically in Oakland.

At this point the brand is probably established enough that the don't want to change back. But you never know...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Random thought but I wonder why the Warriors are named “Golden State” and not just San Francisco? It’s not like they’re the only team in California and are repping California...
They played in Oakland in Oracle Arena. The name SF Warriors, which was what they were known as when they first came west, didn't sit well with some fans so they made a compromise deal. There was actually talk at one time of naming them the "Bay Area Warriors"...

EDIT: Oops. I see Capt. beat me to it.