[Game] Kings vs. Hornets, October 30, 7 PM

Do we remember post-ASB when the league realized how to play the Kings? We sucked again, and we suck now.

Joerger was no savior of a coach.
This isn't exactly the case. The Kings lost more games than they won after the all-star break, but they had a tough stretch where they were losing to top teams by 5 or less points. They just couldn't get over the hump and I think they ran out of gas. And then at the end of the season, joerger was just being spiteful.
This year is just a cluster.

When the team consistently falls behind in the 3rd quarter, it points to the other coach consistently making better adjustments.
No, it’s not that simple. Everything bad doesn’t always come down to coaching as much as some of you like to think. There’s more than one factor or one reason these things are happening.

Am I suggesting that Luke Walton and his staff isn’t a part of the problem? Or even a big part of the problem?? No!

All I‘m saying is there is no black and white answer. It’s not cut and dry.

The KINGS are missing lots of open shots. IDC what ‘sets’ or ‘system’ the freaking coach is running — that’s on the players! Defensively, they aren’t boxing out at key times. They aren’t hustling on switches or in transition. Again, that’s on the players! Low IQ passes are on the players!

Guess what? This type of stuff was happening the last 1/3 of last season too, when Joerger was still at the helm. It’s actually not new. That’s how they faltered and missed the postseason. Once they reached 30-26, it was all downhill from there. 9-17 the rest of the way.

Was that Luke Walton’s fault too?

Last edited:
This isn't exactly the case. The Kings lost more games than they won after the all-star break, but they had a tough stretch where they were losing to top teams by 5 or less points. They just couldn't get over the hump and I think they ran out of gas. And then at the end of the season, joerger was just being spiteful.
Yes, this is much worse than Joerger, MUCH WORSE. The team cannot string together a win and the offense has fallen into the nether void to follow the defense. I didn't like the firing of Joerger last year, but was willing to see what Walton might do - well I've seen and had enough now.

When you have an owner who is as clueless to the game of basketball as we have, there will be no accountability. I honestly wish mastrov would've been allowed to be the main investor because i really believe we'd be in a better place. Vlade has had a very long leash to say the least..
But we are seriously going to rule the India market after that trip in the preseason. I mean just look at all of the marketing potential on the international stage, just like the rockets and China....

9-17 to end the season. That’s a 26 game stretch. Not exactly the smallest of sample sizes.

The point is, the team was faltering under the old coach too.

Not all the same problems, but a lot of similar issues defensively. Which is why I say it’s on the players, not the coaches. At some point the guys have to buy into playing defense and securing defensive rebounds whatever the scheme is.

No, it’s not that simple. Everything bad doesn’t always come down to coaching as much as some of you like to think. There’s more than one factor or one reason these things are happening.

Am I suggesting that Luke Walton and his staff isn’t a part of the problem? Or even a big part of the problem?? No!

All I‘m saying is there is no black and white answer. It’s not cut and dry.

The KINGS are missing lots of open shots. IDC what ‘sets’ or ‘system’ the freaking coach is running — that’s on the players! Defensively, they aren’t boxing out at key times. They aren’t hustling on switches or in transition. Again, that’s on the players! Low IQ passes is on the players!

Guess what? This type of stuff was happening the last 1/4 of last season too, when Joerger was still at the helm. It’s actually not new. That’s how they faltered and missed the postseason. Once they reached 30-26, it was all downhill from there. 9-17 the rest of the way.

Was that Luke Walton’s fault too?
I'll take 9-17 over 4-22 which is what this team could very well be........when do you think the Kings will get their first win? Answer, right - beats the hell outta me. The level of dysfunction is bottom dweller-type which was not last year.

Addendum to my last post, I will say that, offensively, this team is much worse than they were under Dave Joerger.

I mean, they’ve always suffered from long stretches when they can’t score. But they also had lots of hot stretches where they just blew up and overwhelmed teams. We haven’t seen anything like that yet.

Ball movement and turnovers largely weren’t issues last season. But they are now.

However, the defensive and rebounding issues were already there.

I‘m starting to believe those problems to be player flaws. The kids they’ve got just aren’t naturally good defensive players and don’t seem intent on buying into playing team defense and rebounding the ball consistently enough to win.

Coaches have changed. The core is largely the same. However they are one of the worst defensive teams yet again.

Im tired of seeing the opposition seemingly do whatever they want to do. Getting and making open 3’s. Scrub players continually look like all-stars against the KINGS. Our fan base starts overvaluing and coveting these scrub players.

It sucks!!!!!

To 'improve', we should get Bogie & Ariza off the floor. I don't think they'll do it though. It's addition by subtraction. Problem is, Kings would have no bench depth especially with Dedmon playing badly.

Probably should have traded Bogi for Steven Adams when we had the chance, eh?

(A trade, for the record, I would have accepted the second it was offered)
Funny thing is, when OKC blew up their team losing both PG and Westbrook, everyone was wondering what the hell they were doing.

Not only are they a better team than the KINGS right now after the roster blow up, they have a ton of assets in the bank!

Every other franchise seem to be able to figure out how to improve and make a postseason. But not the freaking KINGS. Even when it looks like they got lots of young talent, they either don’t improve enough or become injury prone.

Every other franchise seem to be able to figure out how to improve and make a postseason. But not the freaking KINGS. Even when it looks like they got lots of young talent, they either don’t improve enough or become injury prone.
It really is amazing. Sometimes I look at Cleveland Browns fans and think....”what are you all doing? How it the world could you be a browns fan?” And then....reality strikes....

A 12 win improvement over his OWN disaster the prior year, and then we still went on to tank the end of the season.
Thank you. And if you look back, even as bad as this season is going so far at least there are individuals shining from time to time. The year before last Joerger ran a lineup and style that saw the Kings with ZERO players listed in the ESPN top 100 the following year. I don't care if the "players suck" is the come back, even mediocre players should be making it in based on usage alone. Joerger with the right team could be a fine coach, but this clearly wasn't it and the end results matter more than anything.

Probably should have traded Bogi for Steven Adams when we had the chance, eh?

(A trade, for the record, I would have accepted the second it was offered)
Why? Holmes makes like 5 times less per season than Adams? We don't need another overpaid player we got plenty.

If the Kings could find two non brain dead G-League guys to go with Fox/Holmes/Bjelly we would be a better team than what we have now we legit have a battle between Bogie and Buddy on who is going to chuck the team out of the game.

Holmes is the answer to the world energy needs imo what a beast.

Addendum to my last post, I will say that, offensively, this team is much worse than they were under Dave Joerger.

I mean, they’ve always suffered from long stretches when they can’t score. But they also had lots of hot stretches where they just blew up and overwhelmed teams. We haven’t seen anything like that yet.

Ball movement and turnovers largely weren’t issues last season. But they are now.

However, the defensive and rebounding issues were already there.

I‘m starting to believe those problems to be player flaws. The kids they’ve got just aren’t naturally good defensive players and don’t seem intent on buying into playing team defense and rebounding the ball consistently enough to win.

Coaches have changed. The core is largely the same. However they are one of the worst defensive teams yet again.

Im tired of seeing the opposition seemingly do whatever they want to do. Getting and making open 3’s. Scrub players continually look like all-stars against the KINGS. Our fan base starts overvaluing and coveting these scrub players.

It sucks!!!!!
I'm not sure what defense is anymore honestly. This year it's even more RIP in a natural sense than last year which I didn't think was possible. Defense now has to be played up front and not at the rim as both Joerger and Walton appear to desire. I hear "team defense" now and I cringe because the last few years that was the gameplan as most teams that put up any sort of challenge defended based more on spacing than anything else. There were team defensive aspects but there is much better balance. The Kings aren't stocked with great defenders but I do see 3 really good ones potentially in Fox, Barnes, and Holmes. Dedmon is solid in the post too but the first 4 games he was so lost offensively you couldn't really see the impact.

Why? Holmes makes like 5 times less per season than Adams? We don't need another overpaid player we got plenty.

If the Kings could find two non brain dead G-League guys to go with Fox/Holmes/Bjelly we would be a better team than what we have now we legit have a battle between Bogie and Buddy on who is going to chuck the team out of the game.

Holmes is the answer to the world energy needs imo what a beast.
I want to see them use Holmes more aggressively defensively when guarding pick and roll. He switched out on one play nearly picking up a foul because of how wuss the league is right now but he did very well covering the small coming over the screen. He showed way up and recovered quite well individually.

Put me on record as officially saying this:

I don't want Bogdan on this team anymore.
I have to admit. I’m firmly off the Bogi train. Have been for a while.

I know he’s a stoic type of player, but he is emblematic of what I see as a lack of passion or fight. I just rarely see it in him.
I get that he’s been successful in Europe. But he’s been largely underwhelming in SAC.

I had much higher expectations for him. There was a time when he looked like a pretty good passer and playmaker. But that ship seemingly sailed a while ago. And he’s never been the consistent shooter and scorer I expected him to be.

Instead, he looks to be about hero isolation ball. I hate that dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, shoot crap the bearded hag does and I don‘t want to see it from anyone on this team.

I don’t recall who it was, but someone on this site once said that the tipping point seemed to be after Bogi hit the game winner against LAL. He’s been a different player since.

I know acquiring Barnes seemed like an upgrade, but it is pretty clear all the advanced stats tell something the eyes and conventional stats don't. Barnes is a mediocre starting small forward. He has good vertical athletic ability and size but isn't a successful defender, and on offense takes away as much as he gives.

He is the exact opposite of the moneyball type of player, because he checks all the boxes on paper but doesn't make real contributuons.
Yes, everyone was laughing at us for signing him. Dallas fans thought he was a great guy, but they were glad to get rid of him.

I just had a glance of what was written here and everybody is accusing anybody and everybody for everything.. When things go bad everyone can become the scapegoat. Well I am more positive. This team is better than last year's. They will figure it out.

It's scapegoat time! Fox, Bogi, it doesn't matter, take your pick.

In reality it was a terrible idea to fire Joerger, especially for Walton. This FO didn't learn it's lesson with Malone. Plenty of other stupid moves too which would get me banned as this isn't the designated thread.

This team is headed straight for another top 5 pick at the moment. Better start watching college ball so we can repeat the process of getting our hopes up, only for the FO to mess it up again.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
He sure ain't playing like a star.

Hed also be getting a lot worse than a fairly polite but uninformed attempt at a rallying call if he was playing in New York for eg.

If he left a team over that I'd be worried.
16 pts, 7 rbs, 10 asts (5 to, though several of those of the pass-that-sails-through-an-open-guy's-hands variety), 2 stl, 1 blk. He certainly didn't have a great game but De'Aaron is pretty far down on the list of reasons we lost.

16 pts, 7 rbs, 10 asts (5 to, though several of those of the pass-that-sails-through-an-open-guy's-hands variety), 2 stl, 1 blk. He certainly didn't have a great game but De'Aaron is pretty far down on the list of reasons we lost.
Yeah, while I said that Richaun Holmes was the only player I see consistently playing hard and with energy, heart, passion etc. The next best player on my list would be Swipa. While I expected more from him, he hasn't been terrible.