Following 2019 draftees!!!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
It seems like Louie the King's chances of falling to us in the 2nd rd seem to be increasing...

Bazeley and Samanic seem to have overtaken him on most boards, or they should..
King came on strong toward the end of the year. Don't know if he's staying in the draft or not. He's definitely first rd talent, but I could name about 15 players that are all projected to go somewhere between 25 and 30 in the draft. It's a numbers game. The more players that move up, the more that move down.

I'm currently working on my final mock draft which will take the team drafting into consideration. That usually means it's the way I think it should go, and not the way it will go. At least after you get past the top 15 or so.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
WOOOOOOOOO ---- **SLEEPER ALERT**

Look at how he swoops into the mid post area with the left handed runners and floaters and mini hooks and stuff.... thats what Marvin does!!! except clearly Marvin has more bounce in his step.. This kid is a smart basketball player tho i can't stress that enough, his instincts are good...

Tony Delk thinks EJ Montgomery is gonna stay in this draft.....

Ppl who watch college ball casually and dont follow any recruiting wont like him, but they would be failing to really notice all the trends of today's NBA in making that assumption.

given the Kings draft position a kid like this would be a very nice haul, because he's got PLENTY of upside, there's no doubt he will get better evey year, for many years to come.. no doubt about it..

As I've said before, and I'll say it again, he is sorta like Marvin Bagley(also a lefty, so u'll see them running the same lanes and spots on the floor.. he's not that kind of explosive, but he's 6'11" and his guard skills are excellent... he can block shots, he's a JACKPOT SCENARIO for the KINGS... I think so anyways... We have a running team, why would you pass on a kid like this who's so young and skilled...

He and Marvin to me will also always be linked thru recruting, if you hit the rewind button, the first 2 players in the HS class of 2018 to recieve over 20 confirmed d1 offers, were definitely EJ and Marvin, and I remember EJ's father saying he had 27 d1 offers back then and we're talking the other side of this decade...

He worked out for the spurs the other day, rumor is he got positive feedback.
E J sort of falls into the same slot that Gabriel did. He got lost in the numbers game and didn't get a legit chance to show his ability. Honestly, I think he should go back to Kentucky for at least one more year. That extra year did wonders for Washington. However, if not, he'd certainly be worth a developmental spot.

E J sort of falls into the same slot that Gabriel did. He got lost in the numbers game and didn't get a legit chance to show his ability. Honestly, I think he should go back to Kentucky for at least one more year. That extra year did wonders for Washington. However, if not, he'd certainly be worth a developmental spot.
I think its more like a Jarred Vanderbilt situation than Gabriel. PPL had a good idea of what Gabriel was, Vanderbilt and EJ more shrouded in mystery for the college basketball fan.

He's gonna turn 20 in september, tho.. and UK's frontcourt is gonna be completely loaded next season, his chances of seizing the "the guy" spot on that team LIKE pj did this year, are slim and none, he's not that guy as a pro, idk if showcasing that way would be some great help, he's a rotation guy not a lotto pick. and then he's in a similar position as this year and months away from turning 21, idk.

I always ask myself "what woudl I do if i was in his shoes" and for me thats a no-brainer, I'd go, cuz I'd be very confident in my abilities.. EJ is one of these guys who if he makes it in the NBA they'll talk about how high he was ranked in HS and this period between UK and that time will be sorta swept under the rug, thats the way his narrative will be spun if he hits..

Cuz i mean Baja do you actually think theres some chance he ISNT a professional basketball player in some form? like he's some risk to have to work a 9-5??? I think he's a definite pro in some form, so why not get paid? I like challenges, the ideo of big fish in a small pond isnt all that appealing to me, I'd wanna dive in with the sharks right away and then adjust on the fly. Fundamentals of Chess, only way to get smarter is by playing a smarter opponent type of thing.

Last edited:
King came on strong toward the end of the year. Don't know if he's staying in the draft or not. He's definitely first rd talent, but I could name about 15 players that are all projected to go somewhere between 25 and 30 in the draft. It's a numbers game. The more players that move up, the more that move down.

I'm currently working on my final mock draft which will take the team drafting into consideration. That usually means it's the way I think it should go, and not the way it will go. At least after you get past the top 15 or so.
Rumors is Lou came off as immature in his interviews..

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think its more like a Jarred Vanderbilt situation than Gabriel. PPL had a good idea of what Gabriel was, Vanderbilt and EJ more shrouded in mystery for the college basketball fan.

He's gonna turn 20 in september, tho.. and UK's frontcourt is gonna be completely loaded next season, his chances of seizing the "the guy" spot on that team LIKE pj did this year, are slim and none, he's not that guy as a pro, idk if showcasing that way would be some great help, he's a rotation guy not a lotto pick. and then he's in a similar position as this year and months away from turning 21, idk.

I always ask myself "what woudl I do if i was in his shoes" and for me thats a no-brainer, I'd go, cuz I'd be very confident in my abilities.. EJ is one of these guys who if he makes it in the NBA they'll talk about how high he was ranked in HS and this period between UK and that time will be sorta swept under the rug, thats the way his narrative will be spun if he hits..

Cuz i mean Baja do you actually think theres some chance he ISNT a professional basketball player in some form? like he's some risk to have to work a 9-5??? I think he's a definite pro in some form, so why not get paid? I like challenges, the ideo of big fish in a small pond isnt all that appealing to me, I'd wanna dive in with the sharks right away and then adjust on the fly. Fundamentals of Chess, only way to get smarter is by playing a smarter opponent type of thing.
OK, I'll be honest. I don't think he gets drafted, and if not, he's in the same situation that Gabriel was in. He has to hook on to a summer league team, hope someone takes notice, and offers him a two way. Look, I like the kid, but like I said, he got caught in a numbers game. So did Gabriel, who was far more raw since he came to the game late. Not comparing talent, just situations. As you stated, if he goes back, it's once again a numbers game, but if he's confident in his ability, then he does have the advantage of one years experience. PJ took that to the bank.

I also think any feedback he's getting should be beneficial. That's one of the things PJ said, that the feedback from the teams at the combine helped prepare for his next college season. You either have the confidence and talent, or you don't. But one way or the other, you have to prove it. If I'm him, I take the gamble and go back, have a good season and get drafted in the 1st rd next year. I do think he's professional material, it's just a matter of when and with who.

OK, I'll be honest. I don't think he gets drafted, and if not, he's in the same situation that Gabriel was in. He has to hook on to a summer league team, hope someone takes notice, and offers him a two way. Look, I like the kid, but like I said, he got caught in a numbers game. So did Gabriel, who was far more raw since he came to the game late. Not comparing talent, just situations. As you stated, if he goes back, it's once again a numbers game, but if he's confident in his ability, then he does have the advantage of one years experience. PJ took that to the bank.

I also think any feedback he's getting should be beneficial. That's one of the things PJ said, that the feedback from the teams at the combine helped prepare for his next college season. You either have the confidence and talent, or you don't. But one way or the other, you have to prove it. If I'm him, I take the gamble and go back, have a good season and get drafted in the 1st rd next year. I do think he's professional material, it's just a matter of when and with who.
What if he's got a Corey Brewer type of situation at home and his family needs money? U still think he should go back? Tell everyone; "just wait another year, we've been poor our whole lives, whats one more year?"--- like Robert Williams did to his mother, whos a cafeteria lady.

I really dont understand where u think the minutes are gonna come from at UK tho with this take, its not really well thought out... You want EJ montgomery to come back and get big minutes and create a log-jam for the incoming freshman F's, so they can have yet another EJ Montgomery situation?? u get that right? or are u gonna tell me that Keion Brooks and Khalil Whitney arent ready to handle div 1 starters minutes?

PJ Washington is not some ideal UK situation, this season was plan b.... plan a ofc was to be one-and-done.

Everything UK does, coach cal does, works thru an A, B, C type of priority.. EJ Montgomery is not gonna return to UK and be an A priority guy, the show must go on, he'd be nothing more than a Trey Lyles type of player for this team, not "the guy", and given his advanced age, i just dont see how it's really an ideal showcasing spot, too much to lose, not enough to gain....... Thats the way it's always worked, Devin Booker wasnt even the guy and he's gonna make half a billion dollars playing basketball... Luckily for EJ though he's good enough to go pro, right now, so he doesnt have to take the Charles Matthews route.

These guys who are old for their class, they do that to prepare for the pros, right? So he's been preparing, I think its beyond absurd to think that all these other pro teams across the world, many of whom SIGN 12 YEAR OLD KIDS TO JUNIOR CONTRACTS, wouldn't be just head-over-heels to sign a player like EJ.. His profession is clearly basketball, if he wants to start getting paid now, so be it.

Do you think he's like a lottery pick if he returns? this is some buddy hield type of situation? cuz if not we get to the point very quick;y where the math starts to lean in the "go" direction, just so u can start collecting checks asap. Same deal as Nic Claxton and Nic Claxton is definitely gonna get drafted before the Kings ever pick if he sticks in this draft...

there is most certainly a 'strike while the irons hot' element to the draft, and if EJ has another lackluster year and is 21 in the 2020 draft, his appeal will diminish, and it'll be his own fault, for hesitating when he shoulda pulled the trigger...

The story of Coach Cal and DeJuan Wagner(who's son is filthy btw!) is one of the best, sometimes ppl hesistate when they need to be pushed out into the world(Cinema Paradiso is a classic Italian film that demonstrates this spectacularly), in that case Coach Cal did Dejuan a HUGE favor, if his ulcerative colitis would've been uncovered by NBA teams before the draft, he'd have made a pittance as a pro compared to what he did.

Last edited:
He's also a bit immature physically as well. Another 195 lb SF/PF. If his mentals are underwhelming then he'll truly get lumped into the Travis Outlaw category on both fronts. I'd take Dawkins over him any day.
What? Dawkins is a nobody compared to Lou King, you've taken it too far... This is one, you've been fooled by age... Aubrey Dawkins is 24 years old, He's older than Dante Exum!!!! 24 year old Lou King is gonna be miles ahead of where Dawkins is at right now at 24.

What? Dawkins is a nobody compared to Lou King, you've taken it too far... This is one, you've been fooled by age... Aubrey Dawkins is 24 years old, He's older than Dante Exum!!!! 24 year old Lou King is gonna be miles ahead of where Dawkins is at right now at 24.

Let's put this in context. I like Dawkins. Especially for a 2ND ROUNDER and I don't doubt that King has more upside, but... players that have a guaranteed skill or hustle role player ability are typically a safer bet with where a team like the Kings are at currently. If a player is considered "more talented" but not as developed and comes in as a 2nd rounder they are going to find it tough to get minutes and by virtue are usually cannon fodder since they are so easy to cut ties with financially. It happens sometimes but looking for super talent steals in the 2nd round of a draft like this in particular at pick 40 and beyond could very well yield you nothing of value. There are too many choices that could seriously crack the teams rotation to gamble like that IMO. If you're the team that drafted that talent, put in work with him, never use him, then just cut him anyway it doesn't do anything for you at the end of the day. Teams tend to get really wishy washy with 2nd rounders and ones that are likely not physically ready for the big time are longer term bets and therefore under the gun from the get. I don't think the Kings are in a position to take a clean slate player in the 2nd that isn't a perfect fit with so many more developed players that do fit that in the end could make just as much of a dent even if the raw talent isn't comparable. Dawkins comes in ready, I like him and think he could help the team from day 1. If anyone sees huge upside with King then he should go in the 1st, not with where the Kings are drafting. If he's dropped that far in this of all drafts, there is a reason. If he's at the deep 40's pick, go ahead, consider him, but there should be solid choices that also fill more needs at 40 if everything pans out right.

Last edited:
What if he's got a Corey Brewer type of situation at home and his family needs money? U still think he should go back? Tell everyone; "just wait another year, we've been poor our whole lives, whats one more year?"--- like Robert Williams did to his mother, whos a cafeteria lady.

I really dont understand where u think the minutes are gonna come from at UK tho with this take, its not really well thought out... You want EJ montgomery to come back and get big minutes and create a log-jam for the incoming freshman F's, so they can have yet another EJ Montgomery situation?? u get that right? or are u gonna tell me that Keion Brooks and Khalil Whitney arent ready to handle div 1 starters minutes?

PJ Washington is not some ideal UK situation, this season was plan b.... plan a ofc was to be one-and-done.

Everything UK does, coach cal does, works thru an A, B, C type of priority.. EJ Montgomery is not gonna return to UK and be an A priority guy, the show must go on, he'd be nothing more than a Trey Lyles type of player for this team, not "the guy", and given his advanced age, i just dont see how it's really an ideal showcasing spot, too much to lose, not enough to gain....... Thats the way it's always worked, Devin Booker wasnt even the guy and he's gonna make half a billion dollars playing basketball... Luckily for EJ though he's good enough to go pro, right now, so he doesnt have to take the Charles Matthews route.

These guys who are old for their class, they do that to prepare for the pros, right? So he's been preparing, I think its beyond absurd to think that all these other pro teams across the world, many of whom SIGN 12 YEAR OLD KIDS TO JUNIOR CONTRACTS, wouldn't be just head-over-heels to sign a player like EJ.. His profession is clearly basketball, if he wants to start getting paid now, so be it.

Do you think he's like a lottery pick if he returns? this is some buddy hield type of situation? cuz if not we get to the point very quick;y where the math starts to lean in the "go" direction, just so u can start collecting checks asap. Same deal as Nic Claxton and Nic Claxton is definitely gonna get drafted before the Kings ever pick if he sticks in this draft...

there is most certainly a 'strike while the irons hot' element to the draft, and if EJ has another lackluster year and is 21 in the 2020 draft, his appeal will diminish, and it'll be his own fault, for hesitating when he shoulda pulled the trigger...

The story of Coach Cal and DeJuan Wagner(who's son is filthy btw!) is one of the best, sometimes ppl hesistate when they need to be pushed out into the world(Cinema Paradiso is a classic Italian film that demonstrates this spectacularly), in that case Coach Cal did Dejuan a HUGE favor, if his ulcerative colitis would've been uncovered by NBA teams before the draft, he'd have made a pittance as a pro compared to what he did.
OK, get control of yourself. I never said he would be a lottery pick if he returned, but that he would have a chance to be a 1st rd pick if he returned. It would be up to him of course to prove to Cal he deserved the minutes. You mentioned Trey Lyles, and if you remember, he was a 1st rd pick, so being used as a Trey Lyles type player isn't such a bad thing. All I know is that right now, he's not likely to get drafted. Doesn't matter how much you or I might like him. I'm just being a realist.

Believe me, I know how Coach Cal works. I've been following him since UMASS. I know one thing for sure about him. If you prove to him you should be on the floor, you'll be on the floor.

Looks like you may get your wish. So far it looks like Montgomery will stay in the draft. Also looks like Andrew Nembhard is staying in. I'd certainly pluck him up in the 2nd rd. I didn't include him in my mock because I figured he'd go back to school.

Charles Bassey is returning to school for next season.
Bassey really needed to go back. He was flat out terrible at the combine, at everything. The five on five games, and the agility drills. He had the 2nd worse lane agility time at the combine, with only Tacko Fall having a worse time. He came in 4th worse in the sprint. In the shooting drills, he was fair in the catch and shoot, but was downright terrible in the off the dribble shooting, not making one basket as many of the stations. It's highly likely he would have gone undrafted if he stayed in the draft.

Just saw a highlight reel on Sagaba Konate. Any of you guys know the story on him?
I like him a lot but this year you rarely heard anything about him due to that injury. He really came on the scene last year with his hustle and defensive energy. I'm surprised you don't really see him on any mocks even with his season this year, I'd take him over plenty of other bigs to be honest. I guess it comes down to his injury status and fit in the league. I do think he fits. When healthy he's a defensive menace.

I know we only have 2nd round picks, but I'm not impressed by any of the names the Kings have brought in... I hope we can convince some 1st round talents to come in.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I know we only have 2nd round picks, but I'm not impressed by any of the names the Kings have brought in... I hope we can convince some 1st round talents to come in.
Well they haven't brought in any of the players projected to go in the top half of the 2nd rd. The closest one is Roby. Maybe their saving the best for last...

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Just saw a highlight reel on Sagaba Konate. Any of you guys know the story on him?
Very athletic player that blocks a lot of shots. Actually took a few three's this year for the first time and shot close to 40%. But it was a very small sampling, something around 24 or 25 attempts. He's a bit undersized for the PF position at 6'8", and I don't think he has the skill level to play SF. But hey, he might be worth a late 2nd rd pick.

NCAA moving three point line to 22 feet for next season. Trying to keep the sport relevant before the NBA lifts the banner for high schoolers to enter their names in the draft again

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
NCAA moving three point line to 22 feet for next season. Trying to keep the sport relevant before the NBA lifts the banner for high schoolers to enter their names in the draft again
I think it's kind of funny that fans on NBA boards see the impending demise of the One-and-Done era as a bad thing for college basketball, while fans on NCAA boards overwhelmingly consider it a positive move (and have been crying at the NBA to change the rule for years).

I think it's kind of funny that fans on NBA boards see the impending demise of the One-and-Done era as a bad thing for college basketball, while fans on NCAA boards overwhelmingly consider it a positive move (and have been crying at the NBA to change the rule for years).
we will know soon enough how it affects both parties

Talent is going to get skimmed at the college level, but it would even out the playing field by a lot imo. We’ll see more and more HS declare than before because now they have more options like 2-way contracts and more opportunities in the GLeague. I think this could be the end of John Calipari as a high tier recruiter. I respect the program a lot, but Calipari is more of a NBA development coach than a college coach.

Talent is going to get skimmed at the college level, but it would even out the playing field by a lot imo. We’ll see more and more HS declare than before because now they have more options like 2-way contracts and more opportunities in the GLeague. I think this could be the end of John Calipari as a high tier recruiter. I respect the program a lot, but Calipari is more of a NBA development coach than a college coach.
Calipari made a name for himself bringing UMass to prominence. He did that first with 3 & 4 star recruits.

Don't hold your breath on that one, lol. Louisville is very good recruiting, u think UL is gonna run over UK or something? thats not the way things work down there...

Last edited:
The one-and-done rule was always unfounded, at its inception they stated something about helping teams avoid busts or something to that effect, which is of course nonsense, it was just a players association thing I think too, to keep more $$$ in the players hands who were in the league, second the HS kids are back, that means the back end of the league is getting pushed out that much faster.......

It's affect on college was always wildly unnecessary. All u needed to do was see Kevin Durant or Anthony Davis play in college to know that they were being held back from the competition they were plenty equipped to handle.

Its funny to me that ppl are kinda all gung-ho about Silver making this happen, but honestly it should've never been...

When the rule was first instituted. the "All-HS team" in the NBA at that time, with guys like KG, LeBron, Kobe, T-Mac, Jermaine O'Neale, Bynum etc would've murdered the "all international team" at the time or any of the best colleges players, crap u probably could've taken whole college conferences reps of players and the HS team still woulda smacked em...

Word is Carsen Edwards lit up his workout with Utah...

I know for a fact that their private workout with Trey Lyles is one of the reasons they ended up taking him 1 pick before Devin Booker in that draft. Could be some legs to it.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Word is Carsen Edwards lit up his workout with Utah...

I know for a fact that their private workout with Trey Lyles is one of the reasons they ended up taking him 1 pick before Devin Booker in that draft. Could be some legs to it.
We all know that Edwards can score. I only have one problem with him, as far as the Kings go, and that's his size. We already have two undersized PG's. We don't need another one. But someone near the bottom of the 1st rd might take a stab at him.

We all know that Edwards can score. I only have one problem with him, as far as the Kings go, and that's his size. We already have two undersized PG's. We don't need another one. But someone near the bottom of the 1st rd might take a stab at him.
U kno me by now. It was never my intention for it to be this way, I have no horses in the race, but u will see time and time again I'll end up that guy playing devils advocate for the "Grassroots" kids. Some of them, when i feel it's warranted, also much more rarely will i kinda redflag a kid i dont like LOL, from now on that will be called the Josh Jackson designation...

There is a major level of distortion that goes on with these kids stories with all the bs involved in basically 1-2-3-4-sometimes 5 year vacuums in college.

When I watch the Warriors this year I can't help but think "Kevon Looney never shoulda fell to the bottom of the 1st rd that year..."

I try to stay unbiased, I really do, but also when i am, i try to admit it, I always say i'm slightly biased toward the lefties.

This is a great pic, this is why I am biased towards Edwards. I first saw Edwards cuz I was tuned in to watch De'Aaron.

This pic also is kinda funny on a recruting angle.. Texas letting all this great talent get poached out of state.... But actually the story of Andrew Jones is actually intertwined with that slightly, it's strange the way things play out.

It was awesome to hear JVG explain in game 1 of the finals how no one could've ever imagined how Kahwi could've gotten so good offensively looking back, and he broke it down.. Sometimes i think especially in draft discussions this is lost.

Carsen I think could function as our backup PG here. He is a combo guard though.

I just believe in his 1st step, I think he's clutch too and that really is why I like him, and I dont really think hes gonna fall past the playoff teams in the 1st rd, so dream scenario i think.

I've said it before tho I think he could be a new age David Wesley type of player. I think he's a big shot taker/maker.

Edwards and Buddy at guard???? Sign me up..