Kings hire Luke Walton

Coach Luke Walton. What's your initial reaction?

• Great

• Pretty happy

• Unsure

• Not real happy

• Bummed

Results are only viewable after voting.
You know, people really need to give this a rest. (Just quoting you sono because your the latest to make that comment.) It doesn't matter how good the players are - a coach still has to keep the wheels turning. There are some pretty strong egos on GSW and Walton could easily have become a puppet in their eyes. He wasn't. From all reports, he was well liked and respected. Walton was calling the plays, setting the tone and making sure the guys didn't lose their focus. He also had to deal with Draymond Greene on a nightly basis. That's no easy task for anybody.

Was it easier because Kerr had culture and chemistry in place? Yes, it was a well-oiled machine. But somebody still had to drive it.
I'm cool, I'll wait and see, if it works out we all win. It must have been hard to deal with Bron. The good thing is we don't have that huge egos in here, he could easily instill his plays.

Last edited:
I won't, I'm not well informed about his coaching except his Warriors days. I think his success 39-4 as the interim head coach of Warriors is mostly because of the players, the team culture and chemistry that Kerr established.
It wasn't really much, which is why I am also unsure about this. It was just from some of his early Lakers team, where he ran some high post horns (that could benefit our big passers like Harry Giles), Zipper action (which would benefit our constant-runner Buddy), and some triangle, you know, just things that Warriors, Spurs and his Lakers back in the days use.

It doesn't matter how good the players are - a coach still has to keep the wheels turning.
Yeah, I agree 100%. It is a common misconception about sport coaches in general. When the team plays horribly, everyone blames the coaches (And even the most unfortunate thing which is their teams would almost always fire the coach regardless for an instant adjustment when the team goes through a prolonged period of poor games, which plays into the whole idea) But when the team is great, it is now suddenly nothing to do with the coaches because of how great the players are.

Sometimes I wonder what the fans think the coaches do.

Even tho I hate the Lakers, I'm not usually one of those "once a laker always a laker, keep them away from my team" but...
Minority owner: Shaq
GM: Vlade
Coach: Luke Walton
Possible assistant coach: Brian Shaw
TV color commentator: Doug Christie
:eek::eek::eek:
They’ve had a few go in the other direction as well. Just off the top of my head...

Mitch Richmond
Vlade, after his glory years in SAC
Larry Drew

Just a report about what the Local media is saying about Luke Walton here in So Cal.

The radioheads from the Lakers flagship station says that Luke Walton landed in the perfect spot with the Kings. They say that the Kings roster with Fox, Bagley, and Hield is tailor made for Luke's style of play. A young and exciting running team. The announcers also gushed about Bagley and how in high school they went to one of his games and was literally blown away by his skill and athleticism, they said he's going to be a stud.

They also agree that Walton was dealt a raw deal with the Lakers and that Walton is a very good coach. They think he got screwed, because LeBron was never going to listen to him. They all said that Luke is a quality person and coach and they wished him all the best.

They also said that the Lakers dysfunction starts at the top and how Jeannie Buss is running the team like that they are still in the 80's and 90's. They said until Jeannie hands over the reigns to a real basketball management team, the Lakers are going to toil in mediocrity.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Just a report about what the Local media is saying about Luke Walton here in So Cal.

The radioheads from the Lakers flagship station says that Luke Walton landed in the perfect spot with the Kings. They say that the Kings roster with Fox, Bagley, and Hield is tailor made for Luke's style of play. A young and exciting running team. The announcers also gushed about Bagley and how in high school they went to one of his games and was literally blown away by his skill and athleticism, they said he's going to be a stud.

They also agree that Walton was dealt a raw deal with the Lakers and that Walton is a very good coach. They think he got screwed, because LeBron was never going to listen to him. They all said that Luke is a quality person and coach and they wished him all the best.

They also said that the Lakers dysfunction starts at the top and how Jeannie Buss is running the team like that they are still in the 80's and 90's. They said until Jeannie hands over the reigns to a real basketball management team, the Lakers are going to toil in mediocrity.
Thank you. I honestly think we're gonna have a great time watching Luke and our Kings grow together. :)

Ballsy move.

I'm glad Brandon Williams is gone. I thought Joeger should've been here longer--if anything, because of the development of the kids under his watch.

But whatever you may think of Vlade and his GM'ing abilities, it's becoming pretty clear that this is how he operates. It's the Vlade Pivot:

1. Trade 1/4 of the team plus a draft pick and swaps for cap space. Fail (although not quite as bad as most seem to think). He made a bet that he could reshape the culture overnight. It didn't work.

2. Trade the #8 pick for 2 picks and Bogdan. The two picks sucked. Bogdan was a hit and better than anyone we could've gotten at #8. Win.

3. Trade Boogie for Buddy, Giles, & Justin Jackson. Plus sucking enough to get the #5 (Fox; #3 swapped into the #5). Win.

4. Fire Joeger for Luke Walton. Time will tell, but, in hindsight, I get the reasoning. It's the Kings' ceiling.
1 was a hypothetical fail. In reality it was nothing. You could say it was too gambley... but it was largely a wager that we would be so good by 2019 that the unprotected first wouldn’t hurt. And it looks like about 95% likely to come out that way