Is Cauley-Stein a Good Defender?

Willie is below average in my book. Yep, not even average. Occasionally showing flash, but if you average it out, he's terrible. You can do pick n roll against him and your man will be free wide open straight for a dunk. His team help defense is also bad due to lack of awareness. If his teammate got beat by his man, don't expect Willie to protect them. He's still wondering what the hell just happened lol. Transition defense is also bad...his movement, angle and speed is like that of jogging while everyone is running.

How are they affording all of those players? If they sign Vucevic to any type of max I’d expect them to lose one to two of the existing core

Vucevic will be highly pursued. Starting with Orlando, a city he likes, who have already put Bamba on the market with their probable intention of keeping him
Link?

I highly doubt they are putting the player they drafted some 8 months ago as a long term project on the market. The front office in Orlando originates from the Bucks where they are clearly following the identical pattern of drafting talent as they did with the Bucks....i.e. draft players with length. In Orlando they have done this two drafts in a row by drafting Isaac and Bamba in back to back drafts.

In terms of how they afford it, its a matter of timing their contract and deals in a right manner. One thing the Kings have done exceptionally well in the last couple of years is manage the cap really well thanks to Ken Catanella.

We still have a big number coming off the books in the off-season which would around the mark it would take to bring Vucevic in. This of course means waving goodbye to WCS, not bringing Burks back. Barnes comes off the books after next season if he picks up his player option. His annual salary will come down no doubt. Bogdan and Buddy will warrant a significant pay increases (bigger increase with Buddy) before Fox's extension kicks in at which point Vicevic is close to an expiing deal.

I think the cap situation is very healthy with the Kings who will have enoug cap room to bring in a quality FA before extending the core.

I kinda hope Willie goes elsewhere, just so we can see who the next scapegoat will be.

Willie is not the best center in the world, but he is FAR from being as bad as many would like to make him out to be.He is well suited for the style we run. Just because another center might block a few more shots or grab a few more rebounds, does not account for what they wont be able to do that Willie can and does. The few games he has missed, it was very noticeable.

I mostly stay out of the "bash" Willie threads because, thankfully, no one on this board is the GM. You don't have to love what Willie brings, but all his detractors pretending he is easily replaceable in our system and plain garbage are fooling themselves for the sake of playing armchair GM.

I kinda hope Willie goes elsewhere, just so we can see who the next scapegoat will be.

Willie is not the best center in the world, but he is FAR from being as bad as many would like to make him out to be.He is well suited for the style we run. Just because another center might block a few more shots or grab a few more rebounds, does not account for what they wont be able to do that Willie can and does. The few games he has missed, it was very noticeable.

I mostly stay out of the "bash" Willie threads because, thankfully, no one on this board is the GM. You don't have to love what Willie brings, but all his detractors pretending he is easily replaceable in our system and plain garbage are fooling themselves for the sake of playing armchair GM.
While another center might not account for the specifics Willie can do, hopefully they can account for what Willie doesn’t do (defend the rim/rebound)

This goes to how one views the game, and I realize that interior defense can be a more subjective concept. But we are a bad interior defending/rebounding team, per stats, and for those who note it, it’s nails to the chalk board to see the layups and “not getting the rebound on one” as I yell to the tv

I think a tough paint presence will more than mitigate WCS running the floor and rim running IMO. I think it would catapult us greatly

Link?

I highly doubt they are putting the player they drafted some 8 months ago as a long term project on the market. The front office in Orlando originates from the Bucks where they are clearly following the identical pattern of drafting talent as they did with the Bucks....i.e. draft players with length. In Orlando they have done this two drafts in a row by drafting Isaac and Bamba in back to back drafts.

In terms of how they afford it, its a matter of timing their contract and deals in a right manner. One thing the Kings have done exceptionally well in the last couple of years is manage the cap really well thanks to Ken Catanella.

We still have a big number coming off the books in the off-season which would around the mark it would take to bring Vucevic in. This of course means waving goodbye to WCS, not bringing Burks back. Barnes comes off the books after next season if he picks up his player option. His annual salary will come down no doubt. Bogdan and Buddy will warrant a significant pay increases (bigger increase with Buddy) before Fox's extension kicks in at which point Vicevic is close to an expiing deal.

I think the cap situation is very healthy with the Kings who will have enoug cap room to bring in a quality FA before extending the core.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-in-trades-mavericks-attempted-to-land-rookie

The Dallas Mavericks acquired Kristaps Porzingis on Thursday from the New York Knicks, but they almost went in a very different direction in a trade including Dennis Smith Jr.

As ESPN's Brian Windhorst noted on The Hoop Collective podcast (h/t Sam Vecenie of The Athletic), the Mavericks were considering a deal for Orlando Magic rookie Mo Bamba.

"When they iced Dennis Smith a few weeks ago...one of the teams they were talking to was Orlando about Mo Bamba," Windhorst said (20:11 into podcast). "Mo Bamba is available on the market."
Those guys are very reliable sources. Bamba has been a big disappointment considering how high they drafted him. He was always a big project, but there were so many other players who would've been better picks. Doesn't help that their best player on the team is a C who was also an all-star this year.

There's rumors that Dallas is serious about going after Vucevic in FA. While you brought up 2 of our Serbs, Dallas themselves have a half serb in Doncic and a Latvian in Porzingis. It'll be hard to compete against Dallas. I think we have a more attractive team, but Doncic-Porzingis are 10x better than Bogdan-Bjelica who at this point, are more like role players than stars.

Link?

Windhorst had it, you can google that. He’s usually reputable, but maybe I should have said it’s been reported.

Fox/Buddy/Bogdan/Bagley/Barnes/Vucevic would all be making 8 figures at some point if Vuc is maxed. Seems a tough fit economically but we’ll see. He will garner some attention for sure, as an all star.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-in-trades-mavericks-attempted-to-land-rookie

Those guys are very reliable sources. Bamba has been a big disappointment considering how high they drafted him. He was always a big project, but there were so many other players who would've been better picks. Doesn't help that their best player on the team is a C who was also an all-star this year.

There's rumors that Dallas is serious about going after Vucevic in FA. While you brought up 2 of our Serbs, Dallas themselves have a half serb in Doncic and a Latvian in Porzingis. It'll be hard to compete against Dallas. I think we have a more attractive team, but Doncic-Porzingis are 10x better than Bogdan-Bjelica who at this point, are more like role players than stars.
Except Vucevic is friends with Bogdan and Bjelica, they speak the same language etc..then there is the Vlade and Peja factor.

I am not saying Vucevic will sign with the Kings but we are not as out of the running as some people seem to think. FWIW, I think Orlando would be the favorites to get his signature because he likes the place there but if he is seriously considering moving teams, then I am very confident that the Kings will be a serious contender for his signature. No guarantees but I don't think we are out of the running.

I'm not a big fan of the players you included. Mejri plays 6.8mins, Chandler 12.7, Maker 13.7, Nene 13.6, Noel 14.1, Mahinimi 14.4, Noah 14.3, Zaza 14.5, Baynes 14.9, Zubac 15.6, Kornet 15.9, and Zizic 16.4.

Willie plays 28.4mins, 10 more than any of those guys on the list. Not sure it's fair to compare him to non-starters or a team's 3rd big who goes up against bench players on a small sample size. I'm going to assume the rest of the data includes these bench bigs in the data which I think will skew some of your results a bit.
Theoretically, it shouldn't skew the stat as it is supposed to control for level of competition. However, I think it is skewed for another reason. When players play less minutes, they tend to be able to exert themselves in a way that isn't sustainable over long periods of time.

I like Ed Davis, but I see him more of a PF. He would be a good 3rd big, but I don't think he can be a Willie replacement.
I tend to agree. His lack of size gives me a pause as a C.

Noel would be an interesting candidate. As you said, he lacks strength for the C position. I think he still has some potential left in him. Still only 24.
I have similar concerns with him as a I do with Davis...size. He was 206 lbs coming out of college. Willie was 242 lbs (although he was older).

Baynes is kinda washed up at this stage of his career. Not sure why people like him as much...a 3pt shooting Kosta.
A 3pt shooting Kosta is nothing to scoff at. That's a pretty darn useful player.

I really like Brook Lopez. I think he's probably the best center out of these guys. However, our team rebounding will probably very bad unless the other guys step up.
Lopez is my top option out of those guys as well. He has:
- Size (6'11.25" w/o shoes & 9'5" standing reach)
- Length (7'5.5" wingspan)
- Strength (260 lbs)
- Rim Protection (2.7 BLK per 36 min & Opponents FG% at the Rim was 53.4%)
- Floor Spacinng (37% 3PT%)
- FT% (82%)

He would easily allow Bagley to play PF due to his shooting and Bagley can obviously help with the rebounding.

The one thing that is extremely interesting about Lopez when it comes to rebounding is the team rebounding. The last 7 seasons, Lopez's team has a higher DRB% & TRB% when he is on the court vs. off the court. How does a C achieve that when he averages the following amount of rebounds per36 for the past 7 seasons...
- 5.0 DRB / 5.5 TRB
- 4.6 DRB / 6.1 TRB
- 4.6 DRB / 6.5 TRB
- 5.4 DRB / 8.4 TRB
- 5.5 DRB / 9.2 TRB
- 4.3 DRB / 6.9 TRB
- 4.9 DRB / 8.2 TRB
...he boxes out. He has a .986 % Def Box Outs (2nd among Cs who have played more than 15 games this year). Last year, he was at .934 (4th among Cs who have played more than 15 games).

Compare this to Cauley-Stein who's team has only had a higher DRB% once in his 4 seasons when he is on the court vs. off the court (last year).

Nonetheless, this list is pretty sad.. for us I think we'll end up having to "overpay" WCS because none of these FAs deserve over $10million except for Vucevic if we're being truthful. Vuc will have a competitive market. Jordan will probably get over $10mpy, but he's already 30 and not someone you want to handicap your cap for.

ehh... I just don't see a WCS upgrade. If the FO really believes in Harry, I can see them going after a cheap vet big to bridge the gap for Harry. Even then... Harry is a pretty big risk himself. Yes we're still rebuilding, but if he doesn't progress as quickly as Fox or Bagley, then we won't have the patience to wait on him. It's why I think we'll fall back on WCS. He's a safe player for us because he can bridge the gap for Harry AND be a 26 yearold average starting C. Whereas with the other players, you're looking at 30+. I'm all for upgrading the C position, but I just don't see an upgrade available through FA.........unless you want DeMarcus back.
I still haven't made my mind up on Vucevic yet, but the point I'd make is that we really shouldn't be investing that type of money in a C. Our best lineup/death lineup (in the future) likely will have Bagley at C. Why would we pay a C big bucks when they are off the floor to finish games?

Signing Lopez for $6-8 mil a year for 2-3 years would be an under the radar move that would likely pay dividends. This is really only if Cauley-Stein is not willing to take a smaller deal like that or gets offered a big deal by another team.

It's not so much about upgrading from Cauley-Stein as it is recognizing the value of the C position vs. the perimeter and recognizing that our best lineup in the future will likely have Bagley playing C.

Last edited:
Interesting list....but it seems like defensive metrics can be all over the place. I’ll keep it simpler, all of the potential replacements you listed, are flawed as much as WCS as is many on that list of 44. If you went to a GM convention and were given the chance to tell them you can select Noel or WCS for your team at $12M per, how many would take Noel over WCS?
To answer the question, I'd take WCS if the contracts are equal. If there is a 3rd possible option available to me, I would walk away from both.

But that's not how things work in real life. What if it's Noel for $5 mil a year and WCS for $12 mil a year?

I don't think we should be giving Cauley-Stein a big contract. If we can sign him for a reasonable price (looking at the contracts given to Randle, Harrell, & Bjelica) then keep him. If he wants more, we should look elsewhere. We shouldn't be giving a big payday to someone who isn't an ideal fit, isn't a great player, isn't a guy that says the right things (which makes me question what drives him as a player), isn't a guy who's known for putting in effort, isn't a guy who (likely) will be finishing games for us in the future considering Bagley seems like the type of player that would slide up to C in the 4th.

Last edited:
I think Bagley is the five man of the future. He needs to add strength/put on weight, but he can eventually be a prototypical NBA big who rebounds, offers some interior defense/paint protection and runs the floor but who can spread the floor as an outside threat.

He lacks Willie's length but he's already a more stout interior defender. So far his rebounding is about the same as WCS (which isn't great) but that will improve in time and with added strength. Where Bagley is far behind Cauley-Stein is as a passer and his defensive awareness isn't close to where you could start him for a team with playoff aspirations. But he's growing by leaps and bounds.

So the question for me is whether it's worth spending a lot of money on Trill just to be a bridge to Bagley and then as his backup. I think the Kings are better off saving that money for Hield and Bogdanovic next offseason and Fox the year after that. Just as with Fox, you take the training wheels of MB3 and let him start next season. Maybe alongside Bjelica at the 4 with Giles getting the bulk of the backup minutes at both PF and C.
This is more or less the point.

I don't know yet if Bagley is a guy that can start at C (as you suggest), but I can easily see him as a guy who can close out games for us at C. If that's the case, why would we pay someone a pretty penny just to sit the bench at the end of the game? I'd rather invest in our death lineup than our regular season, starting lineup.

And the reason I would suggest Bagley at PF and a cheap C starting alongside him is to take some of the pounding off of him. He can probably fight through it for a solid 8-12 minutes a game but if he's exclusively playing 30 minutes a night against 250-275 lbs grown men, we may see diminishing returns from him later in games or as the season progresses.

Last edited:
While another center might not account for the specifics Willie can do, hopefully they can account for what Willie doesn’t do (defend the rim/rebound)

This goes to how one views the game, and I realize that interior defense can be a more subjective concept. But we are a bad interior defending/rebounding team, per stats, and for those who note it, it’s nails to the chalk board to see the layups and “not getting the rebound on one” as I yell to the tv

I think a tough paint presence will more than mitigate WCS running the floor and rim running IMO. I think it would catapult us greatly
It might be surprising to some since I don't hate on Willie, but good defense is more enjoyable to me than watching teams jacking up 3's. Ben Wallace,KG,Ron Artest etc. are some of my favorite players.

With regards to the layup drills it has been pointed out by several others that just because the points were scored in the paint does not = Willie failed to defend said paint. How many of those layups are from bigs? How many are because our guards or SF let their man get by and either scores or causes someone else (Willie for example) to have to rotate? When they rotate does someone cover the big they were covering? It's not so simple as some would like to make it seem and Willie takes the fall every time. Maybe the problem is scheme based. Maybe the guards and forwards need to do a better job at containing. Maybe the other bigs need to recognize the situations quicker when a guard or SF gets beat and cover for when Willie or whoever has to switch. Maybe it's a lot of these and more? I think so.

I don't want to spend on Willie anymore than the market dictates he is worth. Vucevic would be great here and I would be happy with the signing. However everywhere one can consume information about the Kings it's the same divided opinions regarding replacing Willie. Opinions wouldn't be so divided across numerous Kings related outlets if it was simply a matter of "one side doesn't value interior defense and one does".

I have said this before and I will say it again. With the Kings trading for Harrison Barnes and addressing that SF position with a player who can also play PF in smaller line ups the next issue for us to address is rebounding. Ideally, the player would also be able to spread the floor so that you can afford to start Bagley instead of Bjelica while Marvin is still developing his 3pt range.

Vlade comes from Serbian school of basketball where fundamentals are drilled into players from a very young age. I firmly believe that the #1 target for the Kings in free agency in Nikola Vucevic. He is in the right age bracket, an UFA and a fundamentally a very good player. He can dribble, pass, shoot, rebound and provide some shot blocking. I think that he would fit really well with the current team especially when you consider that our pace is likely going to slow down when the players learn to execute at a lower pace and in half court. I am not saying we will fall off the cliff in terms of pace but I am saying that we will still be up there but a more capable team in the half court sets as the youngsters mature.

Where the Kings might have some real inside running with Vucevic is precisely because of the multiple Serbian connections with the Kings. Vlade, Peja, Bogdan and Nemanja. There is some real comfort there with the pre-existing relationships with these guys and as was the case with Bjelica, "when Vlade calls, you pick up the phone"....this might just be the case with Vucevic.

Vucevic
Bagley
Barnes
Hield
Fox

Bogdanovic
Giles
Bjelica
Farrell

That is a pretty solid young team that is good now and still has a great deal of scope for improvement in coming years.
I mentioned earlier in another post that I'm still undecided on Vucevic.

On one hand, he would make us better right now. I don't doubt that. He's very skilled offensively and can stretch the floor. He's underrated defensively and is a very good rebounder. His floor spacing makes for a good fit next to Bagley.

The reason I pause on him right now is a much more long term question and when thinking through to the endgame. When I think of our current core pieces, I try to think of which position is (or will be) their best position if we needed to close a game out for the last 7 minutes.
  • Fox: no question it's PG
  • Hield: no question it's SG. His length limits his potential to guard SFs regularly
  • Bogdan: I lean SG here but I would still consider him effective in a SF role considering he has excellent length for a SG
  • Barnes: I think he can easily be a SF or PF without there being much difference. I lean towards SF because his length isn't great but he's deceptively very strong.
  • Giles: I don't think he'll ever have the size, rim protection, rebounding ability to play C so I have to say PF here. However, his shooting very much would hurt a "death lineup"
  • Bagley: easily picking C here. He's already a good sized rookie. He doesn't have great length for C, but his aggresiveness, energy, and hops make up for it. He operates best around the rim and on the offensive glass. He can clear the boards on defense and provide some interior defense as well. His shot may never be very consistent which is why I said "easily picking C here". If he was a knockdown shooter (e.g., Bjelica, Barnes, Bogdan, etc. level), I think you're probably looking at either PF or C without much of a difference.
So we have 1 PG, 2 SGs, 1 SF/PF, 1 PF, & 1 C.

I'm having trouble seeing Giles as a "death lineup" piece when considering our other core pieces. His lack of size at C and his lack of shooting at PF lay that to rest for me.

So really we have 1 PG, 2 SGs, 1 SF/PF, & 1 C.

I think we can get by with a Fox / Hield / Bogdan / Barnes / Bagley death/closing lineup. That is still very good. However, if we wanted to optimize the potential of our core pieces, I'm locking Fox in at PG, Hield at SG, Barnes at SF or PF, and Bagley at C. That means I would look for another SF/PF to complete this death lineup of the future. This is why I brought up Porter Jr. (still holding out hope :)) in another thread.

A Fox / Hield / Barnes / Porter / Bagley death lineup would be very impressive and tough to beat as it grows together.

Now I understand that's a lot of words and you're probably dozing off by now, but the reason I wrote all of that was to circle back and say, why would we pay Vucevic $20+ mil a year knowing he would have to play the position that would be Bagley's most effective position in late game situations? If we're trying to optimize our lineup and have this core take us as far as they can, I see Bagley sliding up to C and having that money spent on a SF/PF.

I'm willing to listen and be convinced otherwise in regards to Vucevic, but that's where my head is at right now. Do we take one step forward by signing Vucevic (admitting we would be better by signing him) only to limit the remaining amount of steps we can take after that move?

Last edited:
It might be surprising to some since I don't hate on Willie, but good defense is more enjoyable to me than watching teams jacking up 3's. Ben Wallace,KG,Ron Artest etc. are some of my favorite players.

With regards to the layup drills it has been pointed out by several others that just because the points were scored in the paint does not = Willie failed to defend said paint. How many of those layups are from bigs? How many are because our guards or SF let their man get by and either scores or causes someone else (Willie for example) to have to rotate? When they rotate does someone cover the big they were covering? It's not so simple as some would like to make it seem and Willie takes the fall every time. Maybe the problem is scheme based. Maybe the guards and forwards need to do a better job at containing. Maybe the other bigs need to recognize the situations quicker when a guard or SF gets beat and cover for when Willie or whoever has to switch. Maybe it's a lot of these and more? I think so.

I don't want to spend on Willie anymore than the market dictates he is worth. Vucevic would be great here and I would be happy with the signing. However everywhere one can consume information about the Kings it's the same divided opinions regarding replacing Willie. Opinions wouldn't be so divided across numerous Kings related outlets if it was simply a matter of "one side doesn't value interior defense and one does".

Thats Willie’s job to make the guards/small forwards think twice when they beat our guards/small forwards. Absolutely.

Bajaden, I respect how long you've been here and your contributions to the board. I really do. I think you have a good eye for talent and enjoy reading your take, but sometimes you tend to put words in my mouth and make assumptions on my position. Give me the opportunity to explain my position rather than misrepresent my ideas and attack statements that were never even made by myself.

I didn't respond back because frankly, it's probably a waste of my time. But what the hell. I know what my eye's tell me, and if you think those stats tell the whole story, then your crazy.
I never said those stats tell the whole story. I posted a plethora of defensive stats. Some favor Cauley-Stein and some don't (the majority don't). I posed the question "is Cauley-Stein a good defender" and left it at that.

Willie is a starting center, which means he goes up against the other teams starting center on a nightly basis. Players like KAT, AD, Gobert, Ädams, etc. Do you honestly think that Thon Maker would do a better job against AD than Willie. Maker goes up against the bench players in the league, so does Harrell for the most part.
It's something to be considered when looking at the stats. That's for sure, but when you're ranked 73rd among Cs for contested 2PT shots per 36 min, 62nd among Cs for contested 3PT shots per 36 min, 79th among Cs for opponent % at rim when defended, you can't use that excuse. He simply performs poorly in those particular stats.

I don't think Thon Maker would do a better job against AD. I never said that. Again, please don't misrepresent my ideas.

If your question would have been, is Willie a great defender, I would have said no. But you asked if Willie is a good defender, and he definitely is. But the question shouldn't only be about Willie's defense, it should be about his entire game. The Kings run the ball through Willie out of the high post. Try doing that with Thon Maker, or Harrell. Willie's a good passer, and seldom turns the ball over. And Willie has proved to be a very durable player, seldom missing games due to injury.
No it shouldn't. I opened up a thread to discuss his defense. Why do I need to discuss his offense? If you would like to discuss his entire game, feel free to create your own thread.

Do you really think that Alex Len, who is a stones throw away from being out of the league, is a better player than Willie? Really? I mean have you watched Len play? Would I like an upgrade at center? Your dam right I would, but that doesn't mean I think Willie isn't a good player. He's just not a great player. Everyone loves Capella, but the Kings couldn't use Capella the same way they use Willie. Take Capella away from the basket, and he's useless on offense. He has terrible handles, and is a bad passer. How often do you see Capella out at the 3 pt line going one on one with a PG. Willie does it all the time. You could never run the ball through Capella out of the high post.
I don't think Alex Len is a better player than Willie. I never said that. Again, please don't misrepresent my ideas.

Again, the thread was created to discuss his defense.

I've heard people complain about the Kings running their offense out of the high post. Well, if you want to spread the floor, then you don't want your center standing under the basket. Webber operated from there, and so did Cousins, and both were better from there because both could shoot the ball better than Willie. But Willie is good enough from out there, either by shooting, or by putting the ball on the floor if you leave him, or turn your head, and going to the basket. In other words, you have to guard him. Have you ever seen how closely teams guard Steven Adams when he moves out there? They don't!

My point is, there's a lot that goes into playing the center position other than how many blocked shots he has. Willie blocked 5 shots in a recent game. Can anyone tell me how many of those blocks ended up in a possession for us? I'm not saying it's not important, but it's not as important as some make it out to be. If Willie blocks a shot at the basket, and the ball ends up back in their hands, and they hit a three, what did we gain?
I agree. There is a lot that goes into playing C. Thankfully, I didn't post this thread and only list his blocks per game. Thankfully, I pulled together a lot more metrics to reference.

All in all, this reply is not even on topic in regards to what I replied to you about. You said "Most of those stats are reflective of a post defender." They weren't. I replied and said so. That's really it at the end of the day.

Bajaden, I respect how long you've been here and your contributions to the board. I really do. I think you have a good eye for talent and enjoy reading your take, but sometimes you tend to put words in my mouth and make assumptions on my position. Give me the opportunity to explain my position rather than misrepresent my ideas and attack statements that were never even made by myself.

I never said those stats tell the whole story. I posted a plethora of defensive stats. Some favor Cauley-Stein and some don't (the majority don't). I posed the question "is Cauley-Stein a good defender" and left it at that.

It's something to be considered when looking at the stats. That's for sure, but when you're ranked 73rd among Cs for contested 2PT shots per 36 min, 62nd among Cs for contested 3PT shots per 36 min, 79th among Cs for opponent % at rim when defended, you can't use that excuse. He simply performs poorly in those particular stats.

I don't think Thon Maker would do a better job against AD. I never said that. Again, please don't misrepresent my ideas.

No it shouldn't. I opened up a thread to discuss his defense. Why do I need to discuss his offense? If you would like to discuss his entire game, feel free to create your own thread.

I don't think Alex Len is a better player than Willie. I never said that. Again, please don't misrepresent my ideas.

I agree. There is a lot that goes into playing C. Thankfully, I didn't post this thread and only list his blocks per game. Thankfully, I pulled together a lot more metrics to reference.

All in all, this reply is not even on topic in regards to what I replied to you about. You said "Most of those stats are reflective of a post defender." They weren't. I replied and said so. That's really it at the end of the day.
But, but he’s switching and not near the rim...

While this team continues to be a bad rebounding/paint defensive team, and the center is the goalie of the defense. And I have to watch it nightly

Last edited:

Save your breath. Willie has been Bajaden's boy since before we drafted him.

Willie is an outside threat? He can handle the ball and force defences to guard him more so than Capella?? That's news to me.

Last edited:
But, but he’s switching and not near the rim...

While this team continues to be a bad rebounding/paint defensive team, and the center is the goalie of the defense. And I have to watch it nightly
I was going to respond to your above attempt at insulting my intelligence, but then you posted this gem. You have no interest in having a civil adult discussion.

I was going to respond to your above attempt at insulting my intelligence, but then you posted this gem. You have no interest in having a civil adult discussion.
Legit question though - are we perpetually going to blame our defense on our guards? Isn't Fox supposed to be a good defender?

Perhaps more constructively - the question is what do we need out of our center from a defensive POV? I think this is the right question because offense isn't the priority when we have Fox, Hield, Barnes, Bagley etc. Looking at the team's weakness, I'm inclined to say rim protection and rebounding are more crucial than the ability to switch into guards.

Legit question though - are we perpetually going to blame our defense on our guards? Isn't Fox supposed to be a good defender?

Perhaps more constructively - the question is what do we need out of our center from a defensive POV? I think this is the right question because offense isn't the priority when we have Fox, Hield, Barnes, Bagley etc. Looking at the team's weakness, I'm inclined to say rim protection and rebounding are more crucial than the ability to switch into guards.
No one is saying our interior defense couldn't be better, or that our guard/sf defense is all to blame. I just take issue with blaming one position, especially the one that has long been called the LAST line of defense, not the first.

Vlade comes from Serbian school of basketball where fundamentals are drilled into players from a very young age. I firmly believe that the #1 target for the Kings in free agency in Nikola Vucevic. He is in the right age bracket, an UFA and a fundamentally a very good player. He can dribble, pass, shoot, rebound and provide some shot blocking. I think that he would fit really well with the current team especially when you consider that our pace is likely going to slow down when the players learn to execute at a lower pace and in half court. I am not saying we will fall off the cliff in terms of pace but I am saying that we will still be up there but a more capable team in the half court sets as the youngsters mature.
I brought up his name in another thread a month or so back. So it should go without saying that I agree with you. I'd be beyond thrilled if the KINGS could get him. It's likely a steep uphill battle since Vučević seems to like Orlando, but hopefully Vlade and Peja can convince him to come here.

Bajaden was wrong stating that most of those stats are reflective of a post defender. I called him on it. It’s as simple as that. No need to turn this into an emotional discussion and derail the thread.
The point that keeps going over your head is that he's not wrong. So it's clearly not as 'simple as that'. Baja has elaborated, again, why your advanced statistical data is misleading and not at all comprehensive or absolute. Several others have chimed in to essentially say the same thing. Your problem is that you have convinced yourself that advanced statistical data that doesn't factor certain context is the end-all-be-all truth. This is far from the first time you've employed the same tactic and now you've been called on it. Only seems fair, right?

The point that keeps going over your head is that he's not wrong. So it's clearly not as 'simple as that'. Baja has elaborated, again, why your advanced statistical data is misleading and not at all comprehensive or absolute. Several others have chimed in to essentially say the same thing. Your problem is that you have convinced yourself that advanced statistical data that doesn't factor certain context is the end-all-be-all truth. This is far from the first time you've employed the same tactic and now you've been called on it. Only seems fair, right?
I believe you are missing the point, and similar to Baja, you're misrepresenting my stance.

In my reply to Baja, I was not saying that he is wrong by dismissing or challenging any of the stats in my original post. In fact, stats should be scrutinized and dissected while keeping things in context. With that in mind, you can see why this comment from you is quite silly & misleading of my stance:
\Your problem is that you have convinced yourself that advanced statistical data that doesn't factor certain context is the end-all-be-all truth.
What I called Baja on was claiming that most of the stats in my original post were "reflective of a post defender." That is inherently incorrect and I called it out. For some reason, you're trying to take that statement and extrapolate it to a stance that YOU want me to have.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but you're fighting with yourself right now.

Last edited:
No one is saying our interior defense couldn't be better, or that our guard/sf defense is all to blame. I just take issue with blaming one position, especially the one that has long been called the LAST line of defense, not the first.
Well it has also been called the anchor of the defense.

This line of argument is constantly baffles me. Clearly it's a team game. NOTHING is ever the sole fault of one player or position. Does that mean that we never criticize individuals? Or does every criticism have to be prefaced with a paragraph stating how despite the criticisms to follow said player does bring other things to the table? It's a forum and ideas are going to be repeated multiple times by multiple posters - I kind of assume that any argument or point being made should be taken in context of the historical bias of the poster, previous points made etc.

Again to my honest question - do you or do you not agree that defensive rebounding is one of our biggest problems? Do you or do you not agree that interior defense is another one of our biggest problems? If you do, don't you think that we should care less about switching our center onto Steph Curry and more about securing more boards? I'm not setting out to bash anyone, my intention is team improvement, but I don't see how you answer that question without in some way or another implicating Willie Cauley Stein.

Just for the fun of it, here are some of the old pre-draft WCS threads to see how perceptions have shifted.
https://community.kingsfans.com/threads/willy-cauley-stein-interview.60866/
https://community.kingsfans.com/threads/can-wcss-d-make-up-for-his-lack-of-o.60447/
https://community.kingsfans.com/threads/2015-draft-prospects.57720/
https://community.kingsfans.com/threads/willie-cauley-stein-is-your-newest-sacramento-king.61353/

Some great gems include:
@gunks
I'm getting too excited about WCS....this can only mean he's getting drafted before our pick and we end up with Porzingis (sp?).
;)

Last edited:
Well it has also been called the anchor of the defense.

This line of argument is constantly baffles me. Clearly it's a team game. NOTHING is ever the sole fault of one player or position. Does that mean that we never criticize individuals? Or does every criticism have to be prefaced with a paragraph stating how despite the criticisms to follow said player does bring other things to the table? It's a forum and ideas are going to be repeated multiple times by multiple posters - I kind of assume that any argument or point being made should be taken in context of the historical bias of the poster, previous points made etc.

Again to my honest question - do you or do you not agree that defensive rebounding is one of our biggest problems? Do you or do you not agree that interior defense is another one of our biggest problems? If you do, don't you think that we should care less about switching our center onto Steph Curry and more about securing more boards? I'm not setting out to bash anyone, my intention is team improvement, but I don't see how you answer that question without in some way or another implicating Willie Cauley Stein.

Just for the fun of it, here are some of the old pre-draft WCS threads to see how perceptions have shifted.
https://community.kingsfans.com/threads/willy-cauley-stein-interview.60866/
https://community.kingsfans.com/threads/can-wcss-d-make-up-for-his-lack-of-o.60447/
https://community.kingsfans.com/threads/2015-draft-prospects.57720/
https://community.kingsfans.com/threads/willie-cauley-stein-is-your-newest-sacramento-king.61353/

Some great gems include:
@gunks ;)
its not switching out of a pick and roll, its more rotating to cover a player beat off the dribble. dribble penetration creates a numerical advantage and your anchor has to choose who to defend: his own man or the penetrator. when this happens constantly, your "interior" defence becomes poor.

Willie came into the League with a reputation for being able to defend a lot of different positions. I am tired of watching him swat at the ball instead of moving his feet. He is slow to rotate from the weak side. (Late in games he makes some good plays). He is afraid of the rim and backs down from contact. When was the last time he took a charge? Mentally he is just not suited to playing against full grown men. I don't think there is a way to fix it. A guy like Stephen Adams would change the character of this team and get them to the next level.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Actually Willie probably does more switching than any other player on the team. Most of those stats are reflective of a post defender, which Willie is seldom used as. How often do you see Willie hanging out near the basket on defense. He constantly switches onto other players. He's basically being used as a ball stopper, plugging holes in our defense. I've said it before and I'll say it one last time. Watch a game and only watch Willie, and see how many times he leaves his man to stop lane penetration, and then get back to his man. Because of his athleticism, he's being used in a way most teams wouldn't use a center.

That's not to say I don't get frustrated with him at times. Too often he's late to react to a loose ball or a rebound. I wish he would head for the basket when a shot goes up instead of watching. I don't think Willie is perfect by any means, but I also think people are far too critical of his defense. In a typical game, Willie spends half his time defending on the perimeter. That alone would affect most of those stats that are typical of a center. At Kentucky, Calipari had Willie exclusively in the post his first year, and he almost led college in blocks. It's all about how a team uses a player.

All that said, I'm not for overpaying him. However, he's a better player than almost everyone one of those players listed above, with emphasis on almost. Everyone loves Harrell, as do I, but Harrell has a defensive rating of 108, while Willie has a defensive rating of 107. Willie has the lowest defensive rating of any player on our team, and yet, there's no criticism of anyone else. A bit strange me thinks. Willie isn't perfect, but he's hardly the problem. Hey, if you can trade him for AD I'm on board. But lets try to be fair, and not point to one mistake, while ignoring three good plays.

Just generalizing and not referring to you by the way.
Ok. Let's get to the bottom of this. WHY is WCS used as a switching perimeter defender as opposed to an interior defender? Could it be that Joerger wants to use him where he is best (perimeter) as opposed to worst (interior)? I think so. By the same token, Joerger has taken WCS out of games where he has gotten abused inside and put Kosta in his place. Thus, WCS has fewer minutes against interior bruisers, which skews his stats more favorably to him, not less. In sum, WCS does not "hang out near the basket on defense" for the very good reason that his coach wants to mask his weakness and accentuate his strength.

They are reflective of that IMO. He’s s terrible interior defender from the eye test and the stats portray that IMO

Everything else is subjective. How much he switches as opposed to other centers? If that’s an issue that’s incumbent on you guys to prove