Willy Cauley-Stein Interview

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Double checked link. Seems to work fine.
No, it redirects me to the NBA League Pass page as well. But like 206Fan I found the video anyway. Nothing earth shattering, but I like his mindset. He feels he'll be able to come to a team with a very good sense of what he can do to help them succeed.

Elsewhere on NBA.com there's a draft article that claims Porzingis is moving up quickly and now could be drafted in the top 3. I'm not sure whether I buy that or not, but the more I think about it the more it seems like with Gay in his prime (and Collison assuming he's back) and Cousins getting frustrated it makes a lot more sense to take the guy who can contribute more early on. To me (barring a chance to grab Towns) that's Cauley-Stein.

This is the guy I want and the guy that we need. Please don't screw this draft up he's right there the guy we have always needed next to Cousins. Vivek keep your nose out of the draft proceedings.

Any team that drafts him in the top 5 is going to regret that. In a weak draft it's possible, but in a draft with as much raw talent as this one he should be there around 9 or 10 if not later. The only way I can see him going to a team that high is if they figure on him to be their starting center. He doesn't have the offensive skills to survive at PF on most teams, with the Kings maybe being the only exception.

Any team that drafts him in the top 5 is going to regret that. In a weak draft it's possible, but in a draft with as much raw talent as this one he should be there around 9 or 10 if not later. The only way I can see him going to a team that high is if they figure on him to be their starting center. He doesn't have the offensive skills to survive at PF on most teams, with the Kings maybe being the only exception.
But would he start at PF with us, or would DMC slide to PF with WCS starting at C?

WCS is a talented kid and could be a good addition, but it is debatable which his best position for the pros will be, I suspect he would have a brighter future at center.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
But would he start at PF with us, or would DMC slide to PF with WCS starting at C?

WCS is a talented kid and could be a good addition, but it is debatable which his best position for the pros will be, I suspect he would have a brighter future at center.
You just put them on the floor together. It doesn't matter what you call them. Too many people get caught up in titles. WCS i my choice and has been for a long time. Like two years. The only player I like better next to Cousins is Towns, and that's not likely. I'd love for it to happen, but not holding my breath.

Dally worked with Cuz. In fact Dally was probably the best front court partner Cousins has had.

I see WCS fitting into that Dally role. Even better, is that unlike Dalembert, WCS understand his role and won't ***** about how many shots he's getting.

I can still see Daly posting up UNDER Cousins' post up in the mid post. They had their strengths and weaknesses. Considering Cuz just had a HOF level statistical season I wouldn't change a thing in relation to his role as a center. I'd personally rather they add a player that will give Cuz even more space on offense but WCS will be a valuable addition to whatever team he ends up on.

WCS just spent a year as a PF next to a poor man's Cousins.
IF you watch games of Kentucky of this past season, you notice, that all the good teams just put their PF on WCS with the game plan of never losing contact with him, when he was closer than 15 feet to the hoop. Forcing defender to stay at home - that's kinda the main attraction of stretch 4s.
Some opponents did leave WCS, when he drifted to perimeter, crowding paint and giving him 4-6 feet, because Kentucky used WCS as a guy swinging the ball at the top of the arc (Calipari is great at recruiting and mental preparation, average at game time), but never ran screen action either for a shooter to receive the ball off a curl (Mclemore scored .94 PPP off screens last year - 12th last year among guys with at least 100 possessions, Nik had .97 PPP in 39 possessions; average half court possession yields .89 PPP) or a ballhandler to shoot (Darren Collison was tied at #6-#8 in the league scoring as a ballhandler after screen action with at least 100 possessions at .94 PPP). Notice, that was usually with a big defender nearby and Kings bigs not being devastating roll options, plus includes Corbin era. It's just two simple plays off the top of my head - I believe, Karl might think of something more sophisticated.
P.S. From Mr Jones: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/kings-blog/article21142326.html

P.S. 2. Larry is blowing smoke: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/237815/Larry-Bird-Believes-Willie-Cauley-Stein-Is-A-$100M-Player :rolleyes::D

Last edited:
I agree. The only real team that has interests in WCS aside from us is Magic(5), Hornets(9), Pacers(11), and Suns(13).

The only real team we have to fear is Orlando.. I liked Aaron Gordon last year and I was bummed that Orlando drafted him. Hopefully they don't draft WCS.

We don't need a stretch 4.. we can accomplish the proper floor spacing for Cousins to operate with good three point shooters. It's what killed the Grizz. They were just too poor a shooting team. We need to not do the same.

We don't need a stretch 4.. we can accomplish the proper floor spacing for Cousins to operate with good three point shooters. It's what killed the Grizz. They were just too poor a shooting team. We need to not do the same.
Well the inclination from Karl is that he likes to play that way. It pains me to say this but an option is we cover this itch of his by playing Rudy at the 4 in some limited minutes but i feel our FO will go hard out to bring in a stretch 4