[SPOARTS!] Comments that don't warrant their own thread

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Now, I'm watching Lily King embarrass the field in the 200y breaststroke, setting a new American and NCAA record in the process. This is, like, unfair: I just saw King coast to a win, after watching Manuel coast to one. I think I missed Ledecky's race, but she probably could have named her own time against the field.

People love to pontificate about the sham amateurism in the 'revenue-generating' sports, but how the hell are Olympic and World champions in the non-revenue sports allowed to complete against college undergrads?

Is there such thing as "non revenue" sport?

Olympics gave up the ghost 3 decades ago maybe NCAA could just do the same. Let kids get drafted out of high school and the teams that draft them pay them a stipend until they are ready to join the bigs.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Is there such thing as "non revenue" sport?
For the purposes of this conversation, everything in the NCAA besides football and men's basketball is generally considered a 'non-revenue' sport. They're the ones that the "keep 'em broke" crowd pivot their arguments to, whenever their initial arguments (usually something about 'they get paid with an education') fall apart under scrutiny.

For the purposes of this conversation, everything in the NCAA besides football and men's basketball is generally considered a 'non-revenue' sport. They're the ones that the "keep 'em broke" crowd pivot their arguments to, whenever their initial arguments (usually something about 'they get paid with an education') fall apart under scrutiny.
Gotcha, I realized that's what you meant, but it's just that there does seem to be money for these sports outside of tv/ticket money because the elite athletes in these sports seem to rake in pretty good sponsorship money, they just have to make it to the Olympic or World circuits to do so.

Now, I'm watching Lily King embarrass the field in the 200y breaststroke, setting a new American and NCAA record in the process. This is, like, unfair: I just saw King coast to a win, after watching Manuel coast to one. I think I missed Ledecky's race, but she probably could have named her own time against the field.

People love to pontificate about the sham amateurism in the 'revenue-generating' sports, but how the hell are Olympic and World champions in the non-revenue sports allowed to complete against college undergrads?
There have been many American swimmers who have won Olympic medals while college students. I don't see anything unfair about it. Before the Rio Olympics, nobody outside of the swimming community knew who Simone Manuel was. She shouldn't now be prevented from swimming for Stanford just because she's really good. Ledecky is leaving the swimming team (after sophomore year) to turn pro, but will continue as a student.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
There have been many American swimmers who have won Olympic medals while college students. I don't see anything unfair about it. Before the Rio Olympics, nobody outside of the swimming community knew who Simone Manuel was. She shouldn't now be prevented from swimming for Stanford just because she's really good.
Yeah, I'm not really swayed by appeals to "This has been happening for years." I've also got better things to do than argue with you about this so, if you don't see anything unfair about it, then you don't. As it happens, I do, but I intend to expend zero energy trying to change your mind.

Ledecky is leaving the swimming team (after sophomore year) to turn pro, but will continue as a student.
I already knew this, which is why I said that Stanford had Manuel and Ledecky.

Yeah, I'm not really swayed by appeals to "This has been happening for years." I've also got better things to do than argue with you about this so, if you don't see anything unfair about it, then you don't. As it happens, I do, but I intend to expend zero energy trying to change your mind.

I already knew this, which is why I said that Stanford had Manuel and Ledecky.
I would point out that female gymnasts are usually in their prime as teenagers, but still compete on the college level after no longer competing on the world stage.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
As I realized, back when this thread first started. I'm not a fan of that, either. Even then, there's a difference: gymnastics might be the only athletic competition (I hesitate to call anything that is subjectively scored as a sport) where a 21 year-old is less capable than a 16 year-old. A twenty-one year-old gymnast has come back to the pack, somewhat; a twenty-one year-old swimmer is still ascending.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
As I realized, back when this thread first started. I'm not a fan of that, either. Even then, there's a difference: gymnastics might be the only athletic competition (I hesitate to call anything that is subjectively scored as a sport) where a 21 year-old is less capable than a 16 year-old. A twenty-one year-old gymnast has come back to the pack, somewhat; a twenty-one year-old swimmer is still ascending.
That might be a discussion to revisit during TDOS. :)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
So, I started this thread a year ago, to talk about how incredulous I was that UCLA finished fourth at the 2017 NCAA Women's Gymnastics National Championships, even though they had two Olympic Gold medalists on their team. Well, the 2018 Championships just concluded and, this time, UCLA came away with the hardware. Apparently Christine "Peng Peng" Lee, their redshirt senior from last year, was inexplicably granted one more year of eligibility, and had to score two perfect 10s in the Super 6 final for UCLA to barely squeak past defending champions Oklahoma.

I'm still trying to figure out how you can have a gymnast to score two perfect 10s at a meet (we'll ignore the fact that she was, like, two years older than the next oldest gymnast, since that's not actually supposed to be an advantage in gymnastics), and two Olympic Gold medalists, for that **** to be that close, in the first place?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Shout out to #JudoBae Kayla Harrison, on winning her first ever professional MMA fight tonight, by submission (armbar) over Brittany Elkin, at the 3:17 mark of the first round. It looks like Kayla, who won both of her Olympic Gold Medals at 78 kg (~172 lbs) will be fighting at Lightweight (155 lbs).

Congrats, #JudoBae!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Watching the PGA Championship, and rooting for Tiger. He looks good, really good, for most of the time with an occasional "Oh crap" moment. If he ever puts it all back together, it's gonna be really interesting. He's 3 behind the leader at this point, having just teed off on the 4th (not a good tee shot).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This has to be one of the most entertaining PGA tournaments I've watched in a long time. Lots of flubs followed by lots of "Hail Mary" shots that are working...