There is no topic

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You know how you know when you're getting old? I'll tell you. It's when the artists who performed the songs that make up the playlist of your life are dropping like flies.

When I heard that Nokie Edwards (lead guitarist of The Ventures) had died, I immediately thought back to a warm summer day in 1969 when I drove my 65 Mustang convertible for the first time. It had an 8-track player in it and the first tape I bought was The Ventures. Believe me when I say there was no feeling like driving a convertible around Sacramento on a beautiful summer day with the volume turned up on the Hawaii 5-0 theme song (I posted it just now in the Gone but Not Forgotten thread).

Getting old is not for the faint of heart.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I saw this but also am interested in the circumstances. There are times when someone walks out from between parked cars, etc., that you just can't stop quick enough. I hope it was a situation like that (if that doesn't sound uncaring), as I actually would like to see this technology advanced and get some of the really lousy drivers off the road.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Her name is Sarah (O)'Connor and she never heard of Skynet? And had no idea her tweet about a deadly robot would elicit those kinds of responses? Hrm... Not sure I buy it, even if it did happen 3 years ago. ;)

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I saw this but also am interested in the circumstances. There are times when someone walks out from between parked cars, etc., that you just can't stop quick enough. I hope it was a situation like that (if that doesn't sound uncaring), as I actually would like to see this technology advanced and get some of the really lousy drivers off the road.
A few more details here:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a...lf-driving-suv/ar-BBKxiyy?ocid=spartanntp_edu

The video shows the vehicle traveling in the right-hand lane of a divided four-lane roadway. Suddenly, the vehicle's headlights illuminate a woman directly in front of it who is crossing the SUV's lane with her bike.

Although the exact specifics of Uber's technology are not known, self-driving cars generally use a combination of sensors, including radar and light-based Lidar, to identify objects around the vehicle, including potential obstacles coming into range.

One question on regulators' minds would be why the sensors did not pick up on the presence of Herzberg, who would ostensibly have already crossed three lanes of traffic before arriving in the path of the Uber vehicle.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
A Navy Chief noticed a new seaman and barked at him, “Get over here! What’s your name sailor?”

“John,” the new seaman replied.

“Look, I don’t know what kind of bleeding-heart crap they’re teaching sailors in boot camp nowadays, but I don’t call anyone by his first name,” the chief scowled. “It breeds familiarity, and that leads to a breakdown in authority. I refer to my sailors by their last names only; Smith, Jones, Baker, whatever. And you are to refer to me as ‘Chief’. Do I make myself clear?”

“Aye, Aye Chief!”

“Now that we’ve got that straight, what’s your last name?”

The seaman sighed. “Darling, My name is John Darling, Chief.”

“Okay, John, here’s what I want you to do …..

A Navy Chief noticed a new seaman and barked at him, “Get over here! What’s your name sailor?”

“John,” the new seaman replied.

“Look, I don’t know what kind of bleeding-heart crap they’re teaching sailors in boot camp nowadays, but I don’t call anyone by his first name,” the chief scowled. “It breeds familiarity, and that leads to a breakdown in authority. I refer to my sailors by their last names only; Smith, Jones, Baker, whatever. And you are to refer to me as ‘Chief’. Do I make myself clear?”

“Aye, Aye Chief!”

“Now that we’ve got that straight, what’s your last name?”

The seaman sighed. “Darling, My name is John Darling, Chief.”

“Okay, John, here’s what I want you to do …..
:);):cool::p:D

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Quick anecdote: my last duty station, one of my direct reports was named Darling. We called her by her last name, though.

She and a dude in the workcenter ended up having an affair; they were both married at the time. I think they ended up leaving their spouses, and marrying each other.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Quick anecdote: my last duty station, one of my direct reports was named Darling. We called her by her last name, though.

She and a dude in the workcenter ended up having an affair; they were both married at the time. I think they ended up leaving their spouses, and marrying each other.
o_O