George Hill to the Cavaliers?

Given the following I would not rule out Nuggets here

- They are looking for a PG
- Indiana don’t really want to let Collision go
- They showed significant interest in Hill in the off season but didn’t have enough money left over once they signed Millsap
- They have young players and acceptable contracts to trade out

While it might be a bit of a long shot, I would not rule them out.

So has Cavs general manager Koby Altman put the pick in play? Yes again, Pluto wrote:

The Cavs would trade the pick for a younger player who is under team control for a few years. But they are willing to deal their own first-round pick in 2018 for the right short-term fix.
Prior to the season, Altman told Amico Hoops the pick is sure to draw lots of interest.

“I think we have a responsibility to see what’s out there,” he said. “I think there will be tremendous interest. We have a responsibility to listen to calls.”

Along with all that, Pluto wrote he has heard Cavs shooting guard J.R. Smith “is being offered to multiple teams.”

Maybe, but good luck. Smith is having a lousy season with averages of 7.8 points and 38-percent shooting, and as Pluto mentioned, is making a whopping $13.7 million this season, with $14.7 million due next year.

Basically, if the Cavs want to unload Smith, they would likely need to attach the Brooklyn pick. It could happen — but only if the return will help the Cavs in both the short and long term.

All things considered, that blend undoubtedly will be tough to find.

http://amicohoops.net/nba-rumors-cleveland-cavaliers-jr-smith-brooklyn-pick/

Clev Gets Short term Help-George Hill, Long Term Help -Young player - Skal, Salary Relief
Sac Gets Shumpert and JR Smith and Brooklyn Pick

If CLE wants short term big man help we can throw in Koufos, too if they want

works on trade checker -
Change in Team Outlook: +11.9 ppg, +7.5 rpg, and +1.4 apg.
Incoming Players
George Hill
31 year old, 6-3, 188 lb G from IUPUI
10.3 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 2.7 apg in 26.9 minutes in 2017-2018
Kosta Koufos
28 year old, 7-0, 265 lb C from Ohio State
5.9 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 1.1 apg in 18.9 minutes in 2017-2018
Skal Labissiere
21 year old, 6-11, 225 lb C from Kentucky
7.9 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 0.9 apg in 18.0 minutes in 2017-2018
Outgoing Players
J.R. Smith
32 year old, 6-6, 225 lb SG from Saint Benedict's Preparatory School (New Jersey)
7.8 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 2.0 apg in 29.8 minutes in 2017-2018
Iman Shumpert
27 year old, 6-5, 220 lb G from Georgia Tech
4.4 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1.2

Last edited:
OK its only 4 days left, even though Cavs may be desperate, I just do not see any deals gonna happen for the Kings
Cavs are gonna loose LeBron this summer, they will hold on to both of their Picks
Yeah they are shopping JR Smith - sure like someone will take that contract

Bottom line: NOBODY wants our crappy veterans
hot trade Items now? Tyreke, Lou williams , yes they could help playoff team short term

But Hey Im ok with it, We dont loose Skal, we will have some vets in their final year next year
that have value to teams that need to clear salary cap, two picks in the draft so I hope the kids keep up
their development and we have a good year

I would absolutely do that deal for the BKN pick. Even if we had to sweeten it a bit and add something else. That BKN pick is going to be right in the wheelhouse where Wendell Carter and the Bridges are going to be selected.

I hope Vlade is on the phone trying to get a deal done.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Cleveland is an incredible mess right now. I don't see how they save themselves, no matter what they do. They are so bad off I could even see them doing the unthinkable - trade LBJ and burn it to the ground. I just can't see how moving around the other pieces on the board is going to do them any good at all.

I would absolutely do that deal for the BKN pick. Even if we had to sweeten it a bit and add something else. That BKN pick is going to be right in the wheelhouse where Wendell Carter and the Bridges are going to be selected.

I hope Vlade is on the phone trying to get a deal done.
It's actually not a bad offer really. George Hill should go right back to who he actually is as a player once he's off our team and Kosta fills an immediate need of rim protection/rebounding that they desperately lack. And they get a young talented prospect out of it. All of which while clearing two atrocious contracts of players who have done absolutely nothing for them.

It's actually not a bad offer really. George Hill should go right back to who he actually is as a player once he's off our team and Kosta fills an immediate need of rim protection/rebounding that they desperately lack. And they get a young talented prospect out of it. All of which while clearing two atrocious contracts of players who have done absolutely nothing for them.
I just don't know if we have enough to get it done. Their options are endless at the moment thanks to LBJ being so passive aggressive and non committal.

What if they wanted Hill, Skal and WCS? Would you do it?

I just don't know if we have enough to get it done. Their options are endless at the moment thanks to LBJ being so passive aggressive and non committal.

No. That's burning two assets for a chance of an unknown. With so many teams with the motivation to tank and NJ with none, that pick might not end up as good as expected.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer

NO and HECK NO! Even trading Skal for a mystery box is too much if you ask me. I fail to see any wisdom in trading young players that are NOT a bust for anything outside a top 5 pick.

The Cavaliers continue to engage Sacramento on George Hill, sources told Yahoo Sports, and the Kings have quietly been looking for a third team to involve. The Cavs — who have little interest in taking on the $19 million Hill is owed next season — have pushed for J.R. Smith and Iman Shumpert to be part of the package, a source said, which the Kings have no interest in. Cleveland has shown a willingness to part with its own first-round pick in other deals, but thus far trading the coveted unprotected Brooklyn Nets pick has not been seriously considered. https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-trade-...-teams-appear-ready-make-moves-180159428.html

so their offer keeps getting worse?

Pound Sand cavs!!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The Cavaliers continue to engage Sacramento on George Hill, sources told Yahoo Sports, and the Kings have quietly been looking for a third team to involve. The Cavs — who have little interest in taking on the $19 million Hill is owed next season — have pushed for J.R. Smith and Iman Shumpert to be part of the package, a source said, which the Kings have no interest in. Cleveland has shown a willingness to part with its own first-round pick in other deals, but thus far trading the coveted unprotected Brooklyn Nets pick has not been seriously considered. https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-trade-...-teams-appear-ready-make-moves-180159428.html

so their offer keeps getting worse?

Pound Sand cavs!!
And just for an actual down-to-earth look at what this proposal entails (salaries to the nearest half-million):

Since we don't have an open roster spot, we'd have include/waive a player, like, say Malachi Richardson just to make a deal 2-for-2. So, let's assume we include Malachi and see what this looks like. I'll assume that the Kings do not pick up Hill's year-3 option, but do pick up Malachi's year-4 option. Their salaries are:
2018: $7.5M (pro-rated from $21.5M for the full year)
2019: $20.5M
2020: $3.5M
Total: about $31.5M

The Cavaliers want to include J.R. Smith (team option in '19-20) and Shumpert (who won't turn down his option next year). Their salaries are:
2018: $8.5M (pro-rated from $24M for the full year)
2019: $25.5M
2020: $4M
Total: about $38M

So this deal costs us a total of $6.5M (and costs us money in each of the three affected years). In addition, we trade away by far the best player in the deal (Hill) and a young player with potential who could at least be useful, and in return we get two vets who don't fit with our team (one with a horrific attitude/locker room presence)...and they AREN'T EVEN WILLING TO THROW IN A MID-20'S PICK?

HELL
TO
THE
NO!

I mean, this is not even remotely close to looking through a telescope at a kindergartener trying to lay aside their biases and put together a fair trade proposal. Frankly, I wouldn't even do this for the Cavs pick. Money, we lose. Players, we lose. Locker room, we lose so very very hard. For the BRK pick? Sure. For the CLE pick? No way. Obviously Cleveland doesn't want to give up the BRK pick, and who would? That's fine. They can hold on to a useless Iman Shumpert and the cancerous J.R. Smith and watch their team tailspin out of even having homecourt in the first round of the playoffs, get easily booted by Boston if they make it that far, watch LeBron walk in free agency over their complete inability to put a decent roster around him and then see if they can build a team out of those ashes with a BRK pick that they can probably turn into Miles Bridges. Good Freaking Luck, Cavs. Good Freaking Luck. Because I don't see where in the NBA By-Laws it says we're supposed to give you our good players for your trash. If you want to crap on our plate and tell us how good it smells, and you think that's going to sound great to us, you've got another think coming: and that is, think about how you haven't been to the playoffs since 1998 without the greatest player of his generation on your team, and how he's leaving this summer never to return, and how this is your LAST CHANCE before you return to NBA oblivion. We're fine. We don't need to trade Hill. His trade value will be higher next year anyway. We're good. You have our phone number if you have a change of heart.

Cleveland is an incredible mess right now. I don't see how they save themselves, no matter what they do. They are so bad off I could even see them doing the unthinkable - trade LBJ and burn it to the ground. I just can't see how moving around the other pieces on the board is going to do them any good at all.
You'd have to consider trading LBJ if he didnt have a no trade clause. They are a mess, seasons a wash. Hamstrung by the fact that those picks they have are their only chips and they are key building blocks to the inevitable life without Lebron.

I Agree Capt!!

As I said earlier If we add in Skal and they throw in the Brkn pick
Its 2 for 2

Then maybe we take their crap contracts

Cleveland seems to think someone is gonna Help them out with their short term needs, take the bad contracts, and let them keep the best pick they own?
I just dont see it,

If clippers do it shame on them, If Vlade does it Shame on him too

It's really funny that these reports keep coming out about the same old deal with CLE. As if they're dangling this carrot in front of Vlade that he can't seem to walk away from.

There is zero incentive in that deal for the Kings. Doesn't make a lick of sense from the Kings perspective.

I don't think we have enough to get the BKN pick from them unless we give up WCS, Hield or Bogs. No one is going to trade a lottery pick for Skal and Hill so we would have to sweeten the deal to get that done. The only positive I can think of is if Cleveland includes their own pick, it could possibly wind up closer to 20th in the draft since they're playing so poorly. But the odds of finding a solid player that far down are pretty low.

What if the Cavs are trying to get Lebron to commit to one more year? It seems like they have 2-3 deals lined up that free up cap space for 2019. We know Gilbert is looking to sell. A year for the new owner to wine and dine Lebron and then do some bigtime shopping in 2019 would really juice the franchise value.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's really funny that these reports keep coming out about the same old deal with CLE. As if they're dangling this carrot in front of Vlade that he can't seem to walk away from.

There is zero incentive in that deal for the Kings. Doesn't make a lick of sense from the Kings perspective.

I don't think we have enough to get the BKN pick from them unless we give up WCS, Hield or Bogs. No one is going to trade a lottery pick for Skal and Hill so we would have to sweeten the deal to get that done. The only positive I can think of is if Cleveland includes their own pick, it could possibly wind up closer to 20th in the draft since they're playing so poorly. But the odds of finding a solid player that far down are pretty low.
I'm pretty much convinced they're all coming from the Cleveland camp. And I'm equally sure Vlade is paying them no mind. Of course, we could wake up tomorrow to find out Cleveland had traded Lebron for George Hill and whatever filler it takes. LOL! :p

I honestly would not be surprised to see WCS moved but I think it is more likely to happen as a draft day trade than in the next few days.

My reasons for thinking is are:
- This draft is LOADED with bigs so if the Kings fall into the "bigs range" then they will have option to either pick the big, OR trade back
- I am not sure if franchise's vision aligns with that of Willie. Willie has been talking about being an alpha dog on this team since Cousins trade and while the progress has been pretty good, he will never be a #1 option on a perennial play off team or a championship contender. The game the other day, WCS took first 3 shots and was in the middle of posting up when the coach called a TO and took him out of the game. While I like the attitude of wanting to be the best, there is a fine line of becoming too self centered and not team oriented. If WCS believes that he is #1 option and the team doesn't see him in that light, then the partnership is not going to work.
- His lack of rebounding is a serious issue for us. It's not that he can't do it, it's more that he doesn't do it more consistently. He is too focused on developing his offensive game to be the #1 option instead of making sure his "bread and butter" is at a consistently high level before expanding his repertoire
- Payroll. This is where is gets a bit interesting. Do you pay to keep WCS or do you "reset" in a sense that the new draftees are more aligned to the current young core in terms of age profile and staggered re-signings that you require? This opens up more cap space for the free agency class of 2019 that the franchise seems to be targeting.

Essentially if Kings end up selecting in the "bigs range" and select let's say Ayton, would you trade WCS for a pick that allows you to pick up a SF (e.g. Bridges) essentially upgrading a position in the long term and addressing a need at the other position?

I am not necessarily saying we should do it but it is worth considering.

I honestly would not be surprised to see WCS moved but I think it is more likely to happen as a draft day trade than in the next few days.

- This draft is LOADED with bigs so if the Kings fall into the "bigs range" then they will have option to either pick the big, OR trade back
- I am not sure if franchise's vision aligns with that of Willie. Willie has been talking about being an alpha dog on this team since Cousins trade and while the progress has been pretty good, he will never be a #1 option on a perennial play off team or a championship contender. The game the other day, WCS took first 3 shots and was in the middle of posting up when the coach called a TO and took him out of the game. While I like the attitude of wanting to be the best, there is a fine line of becoming too self centered and not team oriented. If WCS believes that he is #1 option and the team doesn't see him in that light, then the partnership is not going to work.
- His lack of rebounding is a serious issue for us. It's not that he can't do it, it's more that he doesn't do it more consistently. He is too focused on developing his offensive game to be the #1 option instead of making sure his "bread and butter" is at a consistently high level before expanding his repertoire
- Payroll. This is where is gets a bit interesting. Do you pay to keep WCS or do you "reset" in a sense that the new draftees are more aligned to the current young core in terms of age profile and staggered re-signings that you require? This opens up more cap space for the free agency class of 2019 that the franchise seems to be targeting.

Essentially if Kings end up selecting in the "bigs range" and select let's say Ayton, would you trade WCS for a pick that allows you to pick up a SF (e.g. Bridges) essentially upgrading a position in the long term and addressing a need at the other position?

I think he's our best player right now but I think he's the worst "best player" on any team. We just need more. I think they are a long long ways from being able to compete for the playoffs with the current guys we have, even if you add in a top 3 pick. I think they are a couple of dice rolls away from having a chance to compete and this would be one of them. They have to give up something valuable to get something valuable in return.

I like your idea but I would personally do the opposite and grab a SF with the Kings pick and a big man with the BKN pick. Either way you do it, something is going to have to change because I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel here with the way things are going.

I wouldn't trade Willie for a pick that allows us to pick someone like Bridges. This is an extremely young team, and Willie is one of our "vets". We need some consistency and experience on the roster, and once the current vets are off the team, Willie will be the (or one of the) senior most guys. You don't trade that for an unknown.

I would trade Willie for someone like Paul George, but not for a rookie. As for cap space, this would be interesting. I do think that by 2019, we have the potential to be interesting to some good FAs. If we have a realistic shot at any, moving Willie for some picks to free up space could make sense. That said, I think sign and trade is more likely.

I think he's our best player right now but I think he's the worst "best player" on any team. We just need more. I think they are a long long ways from being able to compete for the playoffs with the current guys we have, even if you add in a top 3 pick. I think they are a couple of dice rolls away from having a chance to compete and this would be one of them. They have to give up something valuable to get something valuable in return.

I like your idea but I would personally do the opposite and grab a SF with the Kings pick and a big man with the BKN pick. Either way you do it, something is going to have to change because I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel here with the way things are going.
I personally think there is a light at the end of the tunnel but the team needs a franchise player or two. Fox can develop into one but he needs someone to play with. I am a bit old school and believe that best way to do it is to have a franchise big and franchise PG. Those also happen to be the hardest positions to find genuine star quality. I think that next year the kids will improve even more but still be a lottery team. The season after this could be a team sniffing play offs with around a .500 record.

I like Willie but I question if he can be #1big on a very good team. His rebounding is a weakness. The rest of the skills are really well suited to a running team. He is our best defender and has potential to be All-NBA type of defender but he seems to be more focused on developing his offensive game.

I wasn’t necessarily talking about the BKN pick but any mid to late lottery pick on draft day (draft day trade being more likely if this is going to happen).

With our pick you have to go best available and that will likely be a big man rather than a SF. Just as we were more likely to draft a PG in last draft. Time will tell but it’s something to think about.

I wouldn't trade Willie for a pick that allows us to pick someone like Bridges. This is an extremely young team, and Willie is one of our "vets". We need some consistency and experience on the roster, and once the current vets are off the team, Willie will be the (or one of the) senior most guys. You don't trade that for an unknown.

I would trade Willie for someone like Paul George, but not for a rookie. As for cap space, this would be interesting. I do think that by 2019, we have the potential to be interesting to some good FAs. If we have a realistic shot at any, moving Willie for some picks to free up space could make sense. That said, I think sign and trade is more likely.
Next year you still have the vets to guide these guys. No one is taking ZeBo off our hands and I suspect Hill until at least the offseason.

We are reportedly targetting free aggency class of 2019 and that is where you get your high quality, very productive vets to replace the ones we are getting off our books after next season. I don’t think that not having vets will be a problem for us if we trade WCS.

Now this could all be speculation on my part and Giles could very well be a stud rebounder and a franchise level big. We just don’t really know anything when it comes to Giles except what the team feeds us. I am personally reluctant to believe them. History tells me I should not.

I personally think there is a light at the end of the tunnel but the team needs a franchise player or two. Fox can develop into one but he needs someone to play with. I am a bit old school and believe that best way to do it is to have a franchise big and franchise PG. Those also happen to be the hardest positions to find genuine star quality. I think that next year the kids will improve even more but still be a lottery team. The season after this could be a team sniffing play offs with around a .500 record.

I like Willie but I question if he can be #1big on a very good team. His rebounding is a weakness. The rest of the skills are really well suited to a running team. He is our best defender and has potential to be All-NBA type of defender but he seems to be more focused on developing his offensive game.

I wasn’t necessarily talking about the BKN pick but any mid to late lottery pick on draft day (draft day trade being more likely if this is going to happen).

With our pick you have to go best available and that will likely be a big man rather than a SF. Just as we were more likely to draft a PG in last draft. Time will tell but it’s something to think about.
I'm going to disagree about the WCS analysis here. I think he is the perfect role player to put besides most "templates" in the league now at either the 4 or 5.

Remember in summer league may have been two years ago, forgot, but when they kept forcing him the ball and he was making so many mistakes?

I think he and the coaching staff are trying to make him a complete basketball player, and why not?

There's not much to develop for him defensively besides rotating well and helping the team defense.

He also is not always in good rebounding position.

He's faster and more athletic than the guys he is guarding, but a bruiser can hurt us on the boards sure. Few people have it all in the NBA, I think his gifts like team defense, running the floor, finishing above the rim are something we better hold on to and extend after next season.

So hypothetically if it's Giles, or Skal, or someone else I feel comfortable saying I want WCS to be the fellow big on the floor.

I don't think I'd trade WCS for the BKN pick unless it was top 3.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm open to the discussion of whether WCS should or should not be on the Kings' team in the long term because 1) he's not the consistently good rebounder you need from the position, and 2) he can't draw the opposing team out to the 3 point line on defense, and 3) he doesn't have a consistent go-to move in the post. If somebody has a good counter argument, I'd like to hear it, but I don't see how he fits with Fox and I can't see the right player that you would have to complement his strengths and weaknesses. If you find the center that can do all of the above three things, then where exactly does WCS fit into the picture? My mind isn't made up on him, but I do have a lot of questions.

So I really dont think CLE will let the Bkn pick go

Based on the numbers above I am ok taking the 7-8 mil addl salary Hill,Malichi for Shump,JR
AS LONG AS WE GET CLE 1ST ROUND PICK

NO PICK NO TRADE!!

The desire to get rid of Hills contract needs to be put into perspective. He's an expiring next year and he's good. No point in adding Malachi just to get a late first......it's a terrible deal for Sac.
I don’t think Malachi has any perceived value... he’s a salary number that’s all

Cleveland's pick will be around the same spot we used to pick Malachi, in a draft that's considered top heavy, but not too deep. Do we really expect to land a significantly better player than him?

It can certainly be argued that he hasn't shown anything. If the new kid shows some progress, great. Else, no loss. However, it's not a zero cost transaction for us. Hill might have greater trade value as his contract duration reduces, and we are taking on added salary.

Moreover, next year we will be trying to win, and a low level draft pick will see virtually no playing time. He's likely be relegated to G league most of the year. Sure, we might have something worthwhile in a few years, but again, it comes with some cost.

Finally, Malachi is unable to break into the rotation right now. We have too many players above him. Next year we won't have Vince, and Temple might not pick his option. That might open some minutes for Malachi, potentially increasing his trade value. I know too many ifs, but the proposed trade is not a slam dunk to ignore the options.

Just a random thought. Cleveland needs a shake up. Portland wants some cap relief especially going forward.

Hill and Edward going to Cleveland. Giving them the shake up they needed along with the player they reportedly want.

IT, Papa and Frye going to Portland. All expiring giving them the cap relief they want. Along with a young big they can develop.

Harkless and Shumpert plus draft compensation from both teams. Like Cleveland's first and a first from Portland (reported they were willing for cap relief)

Just a random thought. Cleveland needs a shake up. Portland wants some cap relief especially going forward.

Hill and Edward going to Cleveland. Giving them the shake up they needed along with the player they reportedly want.

IT, Papa and Frye going to Portland. All expiring giving them the cap relief they want. Along with a young big they can develop.

Harkless and Shumpert plus draft compensation from both teams. Like Cleveland's first and a first from Portland (reported they were willing for cap relief)
We get two Firsts for Hill & Papa? Executive of the Year