[Rumor]Kings/Ranadive interested in Sam Hinkie

The revisionist history on Hinkie has been amazing. The Sixers have nothing but young, injured potential after years of pure misery.

The lack of cohesiveness this rumor creates is just more chaos in the eyes of players. I doubt Joerger wants another new boss either and the coach situation for the Kings is one of the rare solid parts of the entire franchise.

gunks

Hall of Famer
This would be terrible.

We have no assets to get any first round picks, we do not have first round pick in two years, Hinkie showed about nothing regarding how to develop players, his drafting skill is not better than Vlade's..... so again how would Kings benefit from this?
Well, he um. ..... got a bunch of draft picks?

He's the "it" name when it comes to tanking, so of course Vivek will be down with it.

Between forcing Vlade's hand in the Cuz trade, to going after Hinkie, it seems like Vivek is committed to keeping the Kings as awful as possible.

Why do you want to tank so bad?

In 2 years we won't even own our own draft pick and we will be in a tank spiral.

We actually want someone that can build a young viable team ASAP, not someone who will be tanking galore.
I dont want to tank, I want to win championships. Winning a championship normally takes a generational star. A generational star does not come to Sacramento by choice. I think you know where this is going.

Going the ASAP route has worked quite well since Vivek got here(sarcastic). Going for the ASAP playoffs is what created this mess.

Its time to forget the ASAP talk and look at the reality of the situation. We do not have the assets to make the playoffs in 2019 nor do we have many assets in general. That pick is gone. Trying to do another quick patchjob just to maybe not embarass ourselves by giving up a top 5 pick is just going to bring more embarassment.

Its finally time to follow the blueprint of tanking which is the only proven way for a small market team to build up a contender. (Unless Lebron is born in your city).

Rent out capspace, take d-league flyers, try to get some late 1st or 2nd rounders for cash etc anything to accumulate assets. No one is better than Hinkie at that. The sixers have arguably the best setup going forward from a talent and asset standpoint. They are LOADED (partly because of deals like the one we made with them going for the ASAP winning). All of the credit goes to Hinkie.

In a situation like ours the best path to winning is tanking. Its an ugly thing to say but it is a product of the enviroment of the current CBA.

People roosting Hinkie for his drafting skills? We took WCS 6th! Why didnt Vlade recognize that Booker was better?? Come on if you look at their complete bodies of work objectively, Hinkie blows Vlade away.

So again how would Kings benefit from this?
Hinkie has relationships around the league and other teams would know they are no longer dealing with a GM they can try to exploit as a naive negotiatior. And as far as I know Hinkie does not have an aversion to speaking on the phone. As we know, Vlade doesn't do phones. ;)

I dont want to tank, I want to win championships. Winning a championship normally takes a generational star. A generational star does not come to Sacramento by choice. I think you know where this is going.

Going the ASAP route has worked quite well since Vivek got here(sarcastic). Going for the ASAP playoffs is what created this mess.

Its time to forget the ASAP talk and look at the reality of the situation. We do not have the assets to make the playoffs in 2019 nor do we have many assets in general. That pick is gone. Trying to do another quick patchjob just to maybe not embarass ourselves by giving up a top 5 pick is just going to bring more embarassment.

Its finally time to follow the blueprint of tanking which is the only proven way for a small market team to build up a contender. (Unless Lebron is born in your city).

Rent out capspace, take d-league flyers, try to get some late 1st or 2nd rounders for cash etc anything to accumulate assets. No one is better than Hinkie at that. The sixers have arguably the best setup going forward from a talent and asset standpoint. They are LOADED (partly because of deals like the one we made with them going for the ASAP winning). All of the credit goes to Hinkie.

In a situation like ours the best path to winning is tanking. Its an ugly thing to say but it is a product of the enviroment of the current CBA.

People roosting Hinkie for his drafting skills? We took WCS 6th! Why didnt Vlade recognize that Booker was better?? Come on if you look at their complete bodies of work objectively, Hinkie blows Vlade away.
The Kings have a pretty good foundation of young players right now. Buddy, Skal, Papa, WCS and Malichi and possibly Bogdan.

We have 2 (hopefully) top 10 draft picks this year and the draft is loaded. We also have our 2018 picks.

There is no reason why, with a little luck and 2 stud rookies, we can't make a push for the playoffs by 2019.

Franchise players don't necessarily need to be picked number 1 overall, in fact most aren't drafted top 1.

Tanking doesn't do you any good, if you don't know how to pick players and construct a viable team.

Last edited:
The Kings have a pretty good foundation of young players right now. Buddy, Skal, Papa and Malichi and possibly Bogdan.

We have 2 (hopefully) top 10 draft picks this year and the draft is loaded. We also have our 2018 picks.

There is no reason why, with a little luck and 2 stud rookies, we can't make a push for the playoffs by 2019.

Tanking doesn't do you any good, if you don't know how to pick players and construct a viable team.
Skal is the only one who has shown legit potential. Its only potential so far though not consistant production. Buddy and WCS are "old" prospects and may be closer to their ceiling than we would like. Malichi has had a cup of coffee as far as playing time nothing definitive their yet either and Bogden hasnt set foot on an nba court yet. These guys are going to have a hard time stringing together consecutive wins next year let alone even sniffing the playoffs.

There are zero all young teams that make the playoffs out west. It just does not happen.

Tanking doesnt always work so give up on it all together? and do what exactly? Sign Toliver and Afflalo every year while drafting in the teens to land more Toliver and Afflalo type players? the most probable way to acquire talent in Sacramento is via the draft. To increase your draft odds the losses must pile up. Ugly reaility but if done right its only short term.

Try to nail your picks(less margin of error at the top) play hard, compete and develop. But this time of losing for the next 3-5 years should be about asset accumulation. No one better than Hinkie.

Oh and if your a long time fan you know that kings and luck do not go together.

Hinkie has relationships around the league and other teams would know they are no longer dealing with a GM they can try to exploit as a naive negotiatior. And as far as I know Hinkie does not have an aversion to speaking on the phone. As we know, Vlade doesn't do phones. ;)
I heard he took pigeon farming, so we are covered.

Primary skills for the next few years are drafting and developing. Negotiations skills are distant third.

All you tank-masters who come out of the woodwork to pay homage to your god, Sam Hinkie, are just... so misguided. We are on the right track. Can't you just believe in our process?? Where has Hinkie ever built a championship team? Why so much confidence in a guy who has never accomplished anything but tanking and drafting high picks? Your confidence in Hinkie is severely misplaced. Please crawl back under your rock. If Vivek does hire Hinkie, he will be well past forgiveable.

How many teams have been successful at tanking to build a winner? San Antonio did a one year tank to get Duncan. Maybe the Celtics? Minnesota, 76ers haven't done it successfully.

Skal is the only one who has shown legit potential.
Are you watching the games? Buddy has shown star potential with a 63% TS and 15 PPG. He won the game yesterday though WCS made the game winner. He's old for a rookie but so was Curry and I think the Warriors are happy with how that old geezer worked out. :cool: I am not saying Buddy will be Curry but if shows average development, he is a borderline all-star at 20-24 PPG. I would call that "legit potential". If you factor in his high character and renowned work ethic, you fairly can conclude his development will at least be average, probably more so!

The rest of argument is specious. Hypothetically if you nail your two picks this year and nail your pick in 2018 your team is set with EIGHT first round picks over three seasons and a quality starting line-up that can grow together:

• 2016 (Papa)
  • 2016 (Malachi)
  • 2016 (Skal)
  • 2016 (Buddy
  • 2017 (Bogdan)
  • 2017 (pending own)
  • 2017 (pending NOP)
  • 2018 (pending own)
If this team does not form the makings of a winner at a high level (not just an 8th seed), Vlade will be fired or he will resign. In fact he has said so! So the objective the next 3-5 years is NOT tanking, it is nailing these picks and developing these players. Hinkie would have value in this context as someone to work the phones with his established relationships around the league and let it be known the Kings front office was not someone you could exploit and low ball anymore. But if the intention if his hire would be to reimagine " Trust The Process" then you are talking about tearing down the foundation before the cement has dried. You don't intentionally try to lose when you have the makings of something special.

All you tank-masters who come out of the woodwork to pay homage to your god, Sam Hinkie, are just... so misguided. We are on the right track. Can't you just believe in our process?? Where has Hinkie ever built a championship team? Why so much confidence in a guy who has never accomplished anything but tanking and drafting high picks? Your confidence in Hinkie is severely misplaced. Please crawl back under your rock. If Vivek does hire Hinkie, he will be well past forgiveable.
Wheres Vlades championship roster so I can compare it to Hinkies? Many believe Hinkie was given a raw deal as he was unable to see his roster all the way thru. Ill forgive Vivek just fine if he fires Vlade, How many teams will be falling over themselves to hire Vlade as there VP and head shotcaller?

Sam Amick says Hinkie has other suitors and does not seem interested in the kings so this is all moot anyway.

Sure Ill believe in our process, Wait what is our process? No clear direction at all.

Again Hinkie accumlates assets, something we do not have and need desperately.

Hinkie is a respected GM around the league with established reletionships among players and agents. We need that right now. The clown show must end.

We are only missing 1 pick in 2019 and I'm very much on board with what Vlade did last draft night. Yes the 76ers trade was bad but if there's no swap this year I can call it a wash.

Kings say they aren't, Woj says they are (I believe)
There is a difference between a team releasing an official statement and random GM speak about a star who, if you believe the GM, wasn't going to be traded because a suitable offer didn't appear

Not to say the team won't hire Hinkie, just it would be unusual

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Wheres Vlades championship roster so I can compare it to Hinkies? Many believe Hinkie was given a raw deal as he was unable to see his roster all the way thru. Ill forgive Vivek just fine if he fires Vlade, How many teams will be falling over themselves to hire Vlade as there VP and head shotcaller?

Sam Amick says Hinkie has other suitors and does not seem interested in the kings so this is all moot anyway.

Sure Ill believe in our process, Wait what is our process? No clear direction at all.

Again Hinkie accumlates assets, something we do not have and need desperately.

Hinkie is a respected GM around the league with established reletionships among players and agents. We need that right now. The clown show must end.
This is outdated.

Vlade put this team on a new path when he traded away Cousins. Unless you've been watching a different team than I have, you've seen the focus on developing the kids, assessing their potential and making sure they learn the fundamentals of playing like a cohesive team. That's a process...and PROGRESS.

That's more than good enough for me right now.

What assets are you talking about? We have a young core with two lottery picks (most likely) and cap space. I honest to God don't know what more Hinkie could do. People need to give the new process a chance to work. At some point, you have to STOP tanking and get something done.