Who do we draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and no. I like watching Tatum the most. He's insanely skilled for his age.

Jackson is a bit of a weird prospect. Not super long and shooting is a big concern but he's got a motor, is aggressive defensively and is a capable and willing passer. He's like a poor man's Scottie Pippen, minus the freakish wingspan.

Isaac to me looks like a role player. But he looks like an ideal roleplayer for today's NBA if he fills out and shows the ability to play on the wing as well as a small ball four.

He's long, he rebounds, he defends, he blocks shots and while he has a slow motion and the results aren't quite there it's easy to see him as a 3&D player who can maybe be more.

Tatum might well have the most upside and I think he has the highest floor. But is his game too much of a throwback in this day of analytics saying threes and dunks only?

I don't know.
I agree that Tatum has the most potential and the highest floor. It seems like his game has gotten more complete as the year has worn on and he is a more willing passer and better shooter now than he was at the start of the season. He seems to get his shot off quicker when he's moving than when he is set so I think with a little work he could speed up that release significantly. I think he has the best all around game and has potential to be a leader and a star in the NBA. I really like Isaac's game and I wouldn't be at all sad if we ended up with him, but I'm not sure he's shown the variety of skills that Tatum has.

How good are the guys projected to be around 35? I keep hearing it is a deep draft... but does that peter out after the top 10 or so? Or is there the chance to get a keeper at ~35?
Funkykingston did a good job with his list.

Jawun Evans- small, but very quick PG who can score from anywhere on the floor.
Josh Hart- high IQ 3&D SG
Mathias Lessort- Strong and athletic PF/C with a lot of defensive upside, but not a lot of offensive upside. Think Tristan Thompson
Cameron Oliver- Athletic PF with a lot of offensive versatility, but slightly undersized. Athletic prospect version of Draymond Green, but not high IQ.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
With Ball I worry about two things: One is his dad and his seeming desire to push him to the Lakers (who may not even have a pick) and the other is how he operates a halfcourt offense which is where things go in the playoffs.
But Ball is such a rare talent that I think you take the same approach I was advocating last year with Simmons. You put the ball in his hands, build your team around his skillset and let him run things. His shot isn't actually slow, it's just awkward looking but his release point is actually pretty close to ideal. And given that Jason Kidd was the 2nd pick, and co-rookie of the year I don't worry about Ball. He's on the same level as a passer and floor general and while his shot is funky, he's far more advanced offensively than Kidd who couldn't shoot a lick early on. Not to mention being bigger/longer, more athletic and a slightly better defender.
As for Tatum I like him a lot. But is he a Jabari Parker or Rudy Gay type player? A decent rebounder, decent defender (when engaged) and good iso scorer who doesn't move the ball and isn't super efficient?
He's a smooth athlete but not a really explosive or gifted one. And he HAS shown some vision but isn't always willing to pass. If that changed I could see him as a poor man's Grant Hill which would be an great package, especially if his outside shooting continues to develop.
Talent wise I have him as the third or fourth best prospect. But the TYPE of player he becomes is the big concern to me.
More Rudy Gay than Parker in my humble opinion. If I have a choice between Tatum and Isaac, I'll take Isaac, but not to be greedy, I'll take either. No one seems to be talking about Fox much, and I like the kid, especially with our second 1st round pick, depending on who else is available. He has a couple of flaws, but also has a big upside. Most of this is already being discussed in the prospects forum.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Players that I like in the 2nd round are, in no particular order:

Jaron Blossomgame: Great athlete who needs to improve his outside shot.
Jawun Evans: Don't understand why he's in the 2nd round. He definitely cooled down from his start, but a very good, if not undersized PG.
Josh Hart: He just continues to be a glue guy that helps his team win. Very very underrated. I'd compare him to Malcom Brogdon.
Jordan Bell: Part of a very good Oregon team could surprise in the tournament.
Kobi Simmons: Probably won't declare, but he as a lot of potential. Long term project at PG.
Frank Mason: Another player that doesn't get enough credit. Yeah, undersized, and more quick than fast, but the dude can play.
Dwayne Bacon: Has improved his outside shot this season, but still favors attacking the basket.

These are all players I might draft if I'm looking for a player to actually take a roster spot. However the Kings may look at drafting a European player and stash him for a couple of years.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

Jawun Evans: Don't understand why he's in the 2nd round. He definitely cooled down from his start, but a very good, if not undersized PG.
Josh Hart: He just continues to be a glue guy that helps his team win. Very very underrated. I'd compare him to Malcom Brogdon.
Kobi Simmons: Probably won't declare, but he as a lot of potential. Long term project at PG.
Frank Mason: Another player that doesn't get enough credit. Yeah, undersized, and more quick than fast, but the dude can play.
Dwayne Bacon: Has improved his outside shot this season, but still favors attacking the basket.

These are all players I might draft if I'm looking for a player to actually take a roster spot. However the Kings may look at drafting a European player and stash him for a couple of years.
Are you not a fan of Dillon Brooks or do you think he won't be available in the second round?

Wow OP, I'm not sure what planet you're living on if you think Fox is unathletic. When he gets to the league he'll instantly be one of the fastest PGs in the league. He's also 6'4'' and has serious bounce. I'm a big fan of him.

If we come away with Tatum/Isaac + Fox/Ntilikina, I'll be a happy camper. Ideally I'd like Tatum and Fox.

Seeing we have two 2nd round picks draft and stash of a European makes sense. I guess we could also package and move up or trade. Never know what direction Vlade might go.

Are there any players up in the lottery area that you guys don't want? That either have red flags for possibly being a bust or that simply just don't fit with our team?

Are there any players up in the lottery area that you guys don't want? That either have red flags for possibly being a bust or that simply just don't fit with our team?
Malik Monk is a smallish SG that is projected top ten. The guy could very well end up being the steal of the draft but with all our SG's my head will be shaking big time if hes the pick. Also after the top 10 picks instead of PG's and SF's, most draft boards project a run of good but nothing stands out bigs. They might be OK but not exactly what I want out of this draft.

Wow OP, I'm not sure what planet you're living on if you think Fox is unathletic. When he gets to the league he'll instantly be one of the fastest PGs in the league. He's also 6'4'' and has serious bounce. I'm a big fan of him.

If we come away with Tatum/Isaac + Fox/Ntilikina, I'll be a happy camper. Ideally I'd like Tatum and Fox.

Fox is quickly becoming one of my favorite players in this draft. He's a fantastic ball-handler and playmaker and his quickness like you said is truly special. I really like the transition opportunities he would open up for the guys already on the team like Hield, Skal and WCS and I really want to get a top-notch playmaker developing with these guys to help everyone else develop. The shooting is a concern, but the young guys we already have provide a ton of spacing (Skal, Hield, Malachi, Bogdan?) and I don't think Fox's shot is even close to broken.

Basically, there isn't anything he's really good at on the floor on both ends of the court other than shooting. Needs to put on some weight without losing the quickness too, but I really like his chances of being a really, really good NBA starter.

Seeing we have two 2nd round picks draft and stash of a European makes sense. I guess we could also package and move up or trade. Never know what direction Vlade might go.
I believe the deal with Chicago is that the 1st round pick is top 10 protected and if not conveyed this year the Bulls instead get the Kings 2nd round pick.

If I'm correct the Kings would only have two second rounders if the lose their 1st rounder. Otherwise they just have the Philadelphia 2nd via the trade with New Orleans.

Funny, I'd lean Isaac & Ntilikina.

I definitely prefer Isaac but am pretty split on Fox and Ntilikina. I give Ntilikina the edge only because of the defensive versatility he provides.

Ntilikina
Temple (or Hield/Richardson)
Isaac
Labissiere
Cayley-Stein

Could be a swarming defense that could switch nearly anything. They'd be vulnerable to traditional power bigs and bowling ball style wings and guards but they'd be a lot of fun to watch.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I won't be crunching numbers (yet) because there's just too much we don't know. The standings are actually bunched up very tight so it might not make much sense until the regular season is over to start putting odds on things. At that point crunching the lottery will probably happen.
OK, so I said I wasn't going to do this early, but I got a chance to code it up, so...I did it. But don't expect me to update this super often until the final standings are set.

That said, if the season ended as of the games on 3/7, the Sixers would be in the 5th slot, the Pelicans would be in the 6th slot, and the Kings would be in the 7th slot, pre-lottery.

The Kings would not be in danger of losing their pick to Chicago. The Pelicans would have a 21.5% chance of winning one of three lotto spots, thus the Kings would have a 78.5% chance of having two first-round picks.

There would be 13 possible outcomes for the Kings (if we ignore where the picks ultimately came from, since that's not important). In order of probability, and rounded:
Picks 6 and 7: 52%
Picks 7 and 8: 22%
Pick 7 only: 17.5%
Pick 8 only: 3.5%
Picks 8 and 9: 2%
Picks 3 and 7: 2%
Picks 2 and 7: 0.7%
Picks 3 and 8: 0.1%
Pick 3 only: 0.1%
Pick 9 only: 0.1%
Picks 2 and 8: <0.1%
Pick 2 only: <0.1%
Picks 9 and 10: <0.1%

OK, so I said I wasn't going to do this early, but I got a chance to code it up, so...I did it. But don't expect me to update this super often until the final standings are set.

That said, if the season ended as of the games on 3/7, the Sixers would be in the 5th slot, the Pelicans would be in the 6th slot, and the Kings would be in the 7th slot, pre-lottery.

The Kings would not be in danger of losing their pick to Chicago. The Pelicans would have a 21.5% chance of winning one of three lotto spots, thus the Kings would have a 78.5% chance of having two first-round picks.

There would be 13 possible outcomes for the Kings (if we ignore where the picks ultimately came from, since that's not important). In order of probability, and rounded:
Picks 6 and 7: 52%
Picks 7 and 8: 22%
Pick 7 only: 17.5%
Pick 8 only: 3.5%
Picks 8 and 9: 2%
Picks 3 and 7: 2%
Picks 2 and 7: 0.7%
Picks 3 and 8: 0.1%
Pick 3 only: 0.1%
Pick 9 only: 0.1%
Picks 2 and 8: <0.1%
Pick 2 only: <0.1%
Picks 9 and 10: <0.1%
The key is for the Kings to drop below New Orleans and then ideally the Pelicans to climb into the 8th slot where their chance of a top 3 pick drops to just under 10%

Should the Magic and/or the Suns choose to leapfrog the Kings and Sixers then all the better.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Are you not a fan of Dillon Brooks or do you think he won't be available in the second round?
Arrrgh, brain fade on my part. I mean't to include Brooks, and I think he's borderline bottom of the first, or top of the second. I also like Tyler Dorsey, since were talking about the Ducks.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I guess it all depends on someone's definition of a bust. But at the moment, I don't see any of them being busts. Maybe someone at the top will never reach the level you think he should, but that doesn't make him a bust.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I believe the deal with Chicago is that the 1st round pick is top 10 protected and if not conveyed this year the Bulls instead get the Kings 2nd round pick.

If I'm correct the Kings would only have two second rounders if the lose their 1st rounder. Otherwise they just have the Philadelphia 2nd via the trade with New Orleans.
You would be correct. It's one of the other, and personally, I'm rooting for the 1st round pick.:rolleyes:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Funny, I'd lean Isaac & Ntilikina.

I definitely prefer Isaac but am pretty split on Fox and Ntilikina. I give Ntilikina the edge only because of the defensive versatility he provides.

Ntilikina
Temple (or Hield/Richardson)
Isaac
Labissiere
Cayley-Stein

Could be a swarming defense that could switch nearly anything. They'd be vulnerable to traditional power bigs and bowling ball style wings and guards but they'd be a lot of fun to watch.
Fox is a very good defender. He certainly needs to add some muscle, but he's a very aggressive defender right now. Where he struggles is fighting through screens.

Fox is a very good defender. He certainly needs to add some muscle, but he's a very aggressive defender right now. Where he struggles is fighting through screens.
Absolutely. Fox would likely be a solid defender in the NBA right away which is definitely unusual for a rookie and in time he can be a very good PG defender.

What I like about Ntilikina is that he reportedly has a 7' wingspan and is a very good defender at his level of competition. In today's NBA having a team full of guys who can switch almost everything (at least briefly) would be huge.

Since I live overseas I don't see as much college ball anymore. Is the new arena hosting any March Madness and if so can we expect to see any of the top players?

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Since I live overseas I don't see as much college ball anymore. Is the new arena hosting any March Madness and if so can we expect to see any of the top players?
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ament/2017-ncaa-tournament-schedule-key-dates

Sacramento is on the schedule for First Round and Second Round games on March 17th-March 19th. It doesn't specify region yet, but I would assume we'll get whoever is in the West bracket. Selection Sunday is the 12th so just check which teams are slotted into the West Bracket on Sunday and you'll know which players to expect.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ament/2017-ncaa-tournament-schedule-key-dates

Sacramento is on the schedule for First Round and Second Round games on March 17th-March 19th. It doesn't specify region yet, but I would assume we'll get whoever is in the West bracket. Selection Sunday is the 12th so just check which teams are slotted into the West Bracket on Sunday and you'll know which players to expect.
I don't watch college ball but scored a free ticket to Sunday, so I will be watching the second round games. Looking forward to experiencing it even if I don't know any of the players!

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I don't watch college ball but scored a free ticket to Sunday, so I will be watching the second round games. Looking forward to experiencing it even if I don't know any of the players!
You scored a FREE ticket?!?

I'll be there, on a paid ticket (jerkface) so we should catch up a bit.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member

The NCAA no longer associates the First/Second Round venues with specific regions. They use a pod system which initially sounds complicated but is actually relatively simple. Imagine it like this: Each of the Sweet Sixteen teams comes out of a unique group of four teams - for instance out of the #1/#16/#8/#9 seeds in the West, one team will win and go to the Sweet Sixteen. Call this group of four teams a "pod". There are thus 16 pods. There are 8 First/Second Round venues, so each venue will host two pods. However, there is no region restriction as to where the pods from Sacramento will go on to. For instance the winners of the pods from Sacramento might be destined for the East and the Midwest, or any other combination.

This allows the NCAA to, say, put teams in the East Regional (for the Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight games), but allow them to play closer to home in the first two rounds.

In principle, the committee will try to have the "pod leaders" (that is, the #1, #2, #3, #4 seeds) as close to home as possible. Because we have a pretty good idea of what teams could possibly be pod leaders, and because there are basically exactly four pod leaders west of the Rockies (Gonzaga, Arizona, Oregon, UCLA), and because there are two First/Second Round venues west of the Rockies (Sacramento, Salt Lake City) and because of geographical considerations, it is almost certain that the two pods in Sacramento will be led by UCLA and Oregon, and the two pods in Salt Lake City will be led by Gonzaga and Arizona...regardless of what exact seeds those teams get or what regions they are slotted into for the Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight.

We will likely only have one 2nd rounder. Our 2nd rounder gets relayed to Chicago if our 1st rounder is a top 10 pick as its very likely to be.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
The NCAA no longer associates the First/Second Round venues with specific regions. They use a pod system which initially sounds complicated but is actually relatively simple. Imagine it like this: Each of the Sweet Sixteen teams comes out of a unique group of four teams - for instance out of the #1/#16/#8/#9 seeds in the West, one team will win and go to the Sweet Sixteen. Call this group of four teams a "pod". There are thus 16 pods. There are 8 First/Second Round venues, so each venue will host two pods. However, there is no region restriction as to where the pods from Sacramento will go on to. For instance the winners of the pods from Sacramento might be destined for the East and the Midwest, or any other combination.

This allows the NCAA to, say, put teams in the East Regional (for the Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight games), but allow them to play closer to home in the first two rounds.

In principle, the committee will try to have the "pod leaders" (that is, the #1, #2, #3, #4 seeds) as close to home as possible. Because we have a pretty good idea of what teams could possibly be pod leaders, and because there are basically exactly four pod leaders west of the Rockies (Gonzaga, Arizona, Oregon, UCLA), and because there are two First/Second Round venues west of the Rockies (Sacramento, Salt Lake City) and because of geographical considerations, it is almost certain that the two pods in Sacramento will be led by UCLA and Oregon, and the two pods in Salt Lake City will be led by Gonzaga and Arizona...regardless of what exact seeds those teams get or what regions they are slotted into for the Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight.
Thanks Capt! Good stuff. So I guess the short answer is check the schedule on Sunday to see which teams are on the menu for the Golden 1 Center. UCLA and Oregon are likely, after that it's hard to say right now but don't expect to see top seeds from other regions like Kentucky and Kansas.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Thanks Capt! Good stuff. So I guess the short answer is check the schedule on Sunday to see which teams are on the menu for the Golden 1 Center. UCLA and Oregon are likely, after that it's hard to say right now but don't expect to see top seeds from other regions like Kentucky and Kansas.
Exactly! Very good short answer which distills out all the technicalities I am by nature forced to include.

If UK is the top or 2nd #2 seed, they could go out West, possibly.

Status
Not open for further replies.