Trade deadline approaching for Kings

Guess the Omri trade looks inevitable now? always wanted to see him get some run here this year. Don't know if his value is super high
He doesn't get us much in a trade. Probably cash considerations.

Just noticed, that James Johnson is having one hell of a shooting season (by his standards, of course): .357 on 4.5 attempts per 36 minutes - both career high by a margin. That comes mostly due to .404 on corner 3s. Of course, big caveat is that he did as at PF, not as an SF, so I guess, he gets slower closeouts/more time to gather himself, but still open by 4+ feet shot is now a good one for him.
On top of that you get very strong defense and savvy passing as he has 4.5 assists/3 TOs per 36 (top mark of his career by a margin).
Johnson turns 30 in a few days, but has less than 9k NBA minutes in his legs, and never had any injury problems. Rudy has logged almost 27k to give you an idea.
So if Rudy opts out, is Johnson a viable option as a role-playing starter SF?
FA market for guards/forwards, who can bother elite SFs, is very slim, and there are certainly no good all-around forwards available.
Johnson is another ball dominant SF. He's more of a point-forward, and that doesn't work with Cousins. Not interested.
Ibaka to the raptors for Ross and first round pick. Glad we didn't pay that.
Kings didn't have the assets for Ibaka. I don't know why people would think terrible trades of Koufos+filter would be able to get Ibaka.

Who could Rudy land?

A longer contract the other team wants out of?

I was thinking Omri for a long shot prospect maybe, or a second perhaps is about the best he could get on his own.
Return from Achilles is not kind to its victims. Rudy is opting out and grabbing whatever contract is available, cause no matter how awful people think Rudy will look next year, he'll almost certainly will be worse. That means, that Kings are indeed only selling cap relief. Unless Cavs want him. Do they have any assets at all? :D

Johnson is another ball dominant SF. He's more of a point-forward, and that doesn't work with Cousins. Not interested.

Kings didn't have the assets for Ibaka. I don't know why people would think terrible trades of Koufos+filter would be able to get Ibaka.
Johnson is different type of ball-dominant as he's more similar to Barnes (though not quite as he's a better scorer), not Gay: passes more than shoots and operates much farther out (this one is very important as Boogie and Rudy like to get the ball in similar spots). With his level of defense better comp for James Johnson would be "forward version of Garrett Temple".

Kings could have done better than Ross and a pick in the 20's if Vlade really wanted Ibaka. 2 of WCS, Malachi, Skal, Papa plus a future 1st would beat the Raptors offer

if Ibaka re-signs then it's great for Toronto, they need another scorer next to that dynamic duo. If he signs elsewhere, Ujiri has some explaining to do.
why would we give all that up for serge? he hasn't shown much without KD/russ drawing all the attention.
Ibaka to the raptors for Ross and first round pick. Glad we didn't pay that.

^ I posted that in the page above, you guys need to stop assuming I want to go all in for Ibaka just because in the last thread I mentioned it as a possibility and he did indeed get traded, just not to Sacramento....I just said that is what it would take in response to 206fan, not that I would offer that....

Last edited:
Kings could have done better than Ross and a pick in the 20's if Vlade really wanted Ibaka. 2 of WCS, Malachi, Skal, Papa plus a future 1st would beat the Raptors offer
Vlade knows better to mortgage anymore picks. I think he's learned from the Philly trade. I guarantee that Vlade will not touch anymore future draft picks. If he does, he'd seriously be Billy King terrible... arguably worse.

Our strongest offer for Ibaka was probably WCS+Lawson. Orlando has too many bigs right now. Even after Ibaka, they still have Vucevic, Biyombo, and Gordon. They really wanted a young PG or SF. Kings don't have either. Ben isn't worth much for them, Malachi wouldn't be worth much either. So in reality, Kings just didn't have the pieces to make any type of Ibaka trade possible. Yeah you're right, we could mortgage another future 1st round pick, but that would be bad on us.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Vlade knows better to mortgage anymore picks. I think he's learned from the Philly trade. I guarantee that Vlade will not touch anymore future draft picks. If he does, he'd seriously be Billy King terrible... arguably worse.

Our strongest offer for Ibaka was probably WCS+Lawson. Orlando has too many bigs right now. Even after Ibaka, they still have Vucevic, Biyombo, and Gordon. They really wanted a young PG or SF. Kings don't have either. Ben isn't worth much for them, Malachi wouldn't be worth much either. So in reality, Kings just didn't have the pieces to make any type of Ibaka trade possible. Yeah you're right, we could mortgage another future 1st round pick, but that would be bad on us.
Which makes you question why trade for Ibaka back in June, and then trade him 50 games in...why pursue him in the first place then? experiment gone wrong perhaps?

The only player I see moving is Casspi. Joerger just doesnt like him, i think its all the bonehead plays he makes, plus he is a free agent and wont re sign. If he can get us back a bench SF that Joerger could use that would be fine.

Maybe a Corey Brewer or Luc Bah Moute.

The only player I see moving is Casspi. Joerger just doesnt like him, i think its all the bonehead plays he makes, plus he is a free agent and wont re sign. If he can get us back a bench SF that Joerger could use that would be fine.

Luc Bah Moute.
Never happen. Did you forget the kings failed his physical and he sued the team?

I would look to Toronto for a potential trade partner for Ben. They just lost T. Ross and Ben is a similar type of player who doesn't hurt their cap next season. Casspi could also fit for them. I would like to pry C. Joseph away from them even if we have to give up Ty as well.

Never happen. Did you forget the kings failed his physical and he sued the team?
If I remember his case was dismissed.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I would look to Toronto for a potential trade partner for Ben. They just lost T. Ross and Ben is a similar type of player who doesn't hurt their cap next season. Casspi could also fit for them. I would like to pry C. Joseph away from them even if we have to give up Ty as well.

You would give up Ty Lawson for Cory Joseph???

How about you resign Ty Lawson for probably lower the price that Joseph makes and get the better player? Joseph is a better version of Ray McCallum, just solid. Lawson can change a game and he makes guys like WCS, Tolliver Barnes look very good with all the open shots, lobs and dump offs he can produce. Joseph can competently run a structured second unit but he isnt a game changer. Theres a reason Lawson was the engine of those Denver teams.

You would give up Ty Lawson for Cory Joseph???
Why not? Joseph is 6'3 and before this season played pretty good defense. He is shooting the 3 at above league average this year and can play off the ball. If Joerger could ressurect his defensive intensity, he is at worst a very capable and flexible backup PG. At best he would start for the Kings.
Depends on which kind of PG you want going forward. A change of pace guard and good creator like Lawson or a more well rounded player like Joseph.
In the end Joseph might be one of the few PG's, who are somewhat realistically in the Kings reach (though I highly doubt the Raptors take the risk to trade their primary backup PG). I doubt we have a shot at any of the upcoming FA PG's and we don't have the assets to trade for a proven above average PG or else a Dragic deal would have been done by now.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Return from Achilles is not kind to its victims. Rudy is opting out and grabbing whatever contract is available, cause no matter how awful people think Rudy will look next year, he'll almost certainly will be worse. That means, that Kings are indeed only selling cap relief. Unless Cavs want him. Do they have any assets at all? :D
One thing Rudy has going for him is that although he's a very good athlete, the style of ball he plays doesn't heavily rely on his athleticism. So if he loses some of his athletic ability, I don't think it will be as big an impact on his game as if a player like Wiggins was equally affected. For that reason, if his rehab seems to be going as planned, I think he'll opt out. Don't know about finding any buyers as far as trading him goes. Obviously you'd either want him for the future and your getting you foot in the door early, or your looking to clear cap space. I really doubt that will happen.

Why not? Joseph is 6'3 and before this season played pretty good defense. He is shooting the 3 at above league average this year and can play off the ball. If Joerger could ressurect his defensive intensity, he is at worst a very capable and flexible backup PG. At best he would start for the Kings.
Depends on which kind of PG you want going forward. A change of pace guard and good creator like Lawson or a more well rounded player like Joseph.
In the end Joseph might be one of the few PG's, who are somewhat realistically in the Kings reach (though I highly doubt the Raptors take the risk to trade their primary backup PG). I doubt we have a shot at any of the upcoming FA PG's and we don't have the assets to trade for a proven above average PG or else a Dragic deal would have been done by now.
Because we have a few guys that can't create their shot and when Cousins sit, they kind of reply on a PG to get them good open shots. WCS for one, at least for the time being needs to have a PG that will create for him. Ty Lawson is the type of player that this team needs. I would like to re-sign him and hopefully at a reasonable price and tell him to work on his 3PT shot over the summer. Get that back to respectable level and we have ourselves a pretty decent PG for a few years.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The Raptors wanted a first round pick in this years draft. We don't have one we can trade.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
you don't give up youth and draft picks for a 30 game rental, especially if there is no verbal commitment.
Ummm, I think you might if you think it wins you a championship this year...Obviously that's what this move was about. And if you do, or even come close, it enhances your chance of resigning him.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
In my humble opinion Lawson is a well rounded PG. Give him 30 minutes a game and he'll get you 15 pt's and 9 or 10 assists, and he'll do it without being ball dominate like Rondo used to be. Lawson has been a far better defender than I expected. Yeah, his size is a bit of a disadvantage, but all in all, he's been a very good defender. Lawson does a great job of breaking down the other teams defense on a regular basis. If you can resign him to a reasonable contract, I'd do it. All things being equal, I'd take Lawson 10 out of 10 times over Joseph.

One thing Rudy has going for him is that although he's a very good athlete, the style of ball he plays doesn't heavily rely on his athleticism. So if he loses some of his athletic ability, I don't think it will be as big an impact on his game as if a player like Wiggins was equally affected. For that reason, if his rehab seems to be going as planned, I think he'll opt out. Don't know about finding any buyers as far as trading him goes. Obviously you'd either want him for the future and your getting you foot in the door early, or your looking to clear cap space. I really doubt that will happen.
Cavs is basically the only team, that would trade for him with intention to resign due to their payroll situation. For everybody else Rudy is an expiring.

Would anyone give Matthews in 2016 same contract as he got in 2015? And Wes had no set-backs. That's just how Achilles affects players, especially 1 year removed from operation. You won't argue, that Rudy is more jumping-reliant than Wes, right? Rudy is opting out with 100% certainty to get whatever contract is out there, especially with no further cap jump in 2018.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Ummm, I think you might if you think it wins you a championship this year...Obviously that's what this move was about. And if you do, or even come close, it enhances your chance of resigning him.
getting Ibaka doesn't make the Raptors any bigger favorites than they were prior to this trade IMO...they still have to get past Cleveland and that isn't happening. You do have to try and not sit on your hands though, so the move made sense for both parties.