Votes: 13 38.2%
  • The third half

Votes: 20 58.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Why's that? I actually respect the guy for having the balls to be honest. Nothing wrong with having an opinion that we should go in a different direction without DeMarcus. I am in that camp too. Should I be "Draymond'ed" as well?
It doesn't really have anything to do with "having an opinion," and that's a disingenuous way to frame it, in my opinion.

It doesn't really have anything to do with "having an opinion," and that's a disingenuous way to frame it, in my opinion.
I would like Thabo to play at the 3 and Temple at the 2 guard.
So please explain. DeMarcus asked him if he thought he should be resigned and stay in Sac and Andy was honest and said no. How was he supposed to answer it? Say "Yes" and kiss his ass?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Not the point.

Your mileage obviously varies but, in my opinion, a journalist - or anyone who gets to express themselves on a platform that size - has to be held to a higher standard when it comes to 'expressing their opinion' than a private citizen. Andy Furillo isn't just some schlub on a message board, like you and me. He has a greater responsibility to be objective than you or I do, and he has a greater responsibility to be unbiased than you or I do... at least, when he's on the record.

When you have a platform the size of an Andy Furillo, or an Ailene Voisin, or a Grant Napear, I don't think that you get to say whatever pops into your head, and then hide behind the shield of, "Just my opinion, man." That's why I think that saying that Furillo voicing his opinion is just the same as when you or I do it is disingenuous. Because it's totally not the same.

Not the point.

Your mileage obviously varies but, in my opinion, a journalist - or anyone who gets to express themselves on a platform that size - has to be held to a higher standard when it comes to 'expressing their opinion' than a private citizen. Andy Furillo isn't just some schlub on a message board, like you and me. He has a greater responsibility to be objective than you or I do, and he has a greater responsibility to be unbiased than you or I do... at least, when he's on the record.

When you have a platform the size of an Andy Furillo, or an Ailene Voisin, or a Grant Napear, I don't think that you get to say whatever pops into your head, and then hide behind the shield of, "Just my opinion, man." That's why I think that saying that Furillo voicing his opinion is just the same as when you or I do it is disingenuous. Because it's totally not the same.
Not sure I agree here. Furillo, Voisin, and Napear (on the radio at least) all traffic in their opinions. They may be journalists but they are not reporters, they are opinion columnists.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
You don't have to agree, but the fact is that your opinion about the Kings, nor mine, nor @New Era's, doesn't matter as much as theirs does. Because we don't have the ability to influence as many other people's opinions as they do. Because we don't have the broadcast footprint that they have. There aren't dozens-to-hundreds of people in your Twitter mentions (presuming that you're even on Twitter) when you express your opinion. That alone indicates that their opinion carries more weight, because there are more people checking for it.

When you have that kind of influence on other people, I think that you have a responsibility to be more conscientious about how you express your opinion, when you're on the record, whether you're a beat writer, or a columnist, or a radio host.

Rudy was trash this game.
When he wasn't fumbling away turnovers, he was making some dumb play right when the momentum started shifting the Kings' way.

That play where the Kings finally played solid team D for 23.5 seconds, then he bailed the Pistons out by lunging into a 3-pt shooter was unforgivable.

If McLemore had done that, people would be demanding his outright immediate release.

When you have that kind of influence on other people, I think that you have a responsibility to be more conscientious about how you express your opinion, when you're on the record, whether you're a beat writer, or a columnist, or a radio host.
many of this country's media-related problems would subside if various arbiters of opinion and taste were simply more conscientious with their words and with their timing. the social media age has created an environment in which everybody has become too free with their thoughts. just because something can be said doesn't necessarily mean that it should be said, especially by those with considerable influence.

You don't have to agree, but the fact is that your opinion about the Kings, nor mine, nor @New Era's, doesn't matter as much as theirs does. Because we don't have the ability to influence as many other people's opinions as they do. Because we don't have the broadcast footprint that they have. There aren't dozens-to-hundreds of people in your Twitter mentions (presuming that you're even on Twitter) when you express your opinion. That alone indicates that their opinion carries more weight, because there are more people checking for it.

many of this country's media-related problems would subside if various arbiters of opinion and taste were simply more conscientious with their words and with their timing. the social media age has created an environment in which everybody has become too free with their thoughts. just because something can be said doesn't necessarily mean that it should be said, especially by those with considerable influence.
These points are correct. But they do not apply to the situation we're discussing. Cousins asked Furillo question in a playful banter, and Furillo answered honestly and transparently. He's not tweeting "Kings to OVERPAY for OVERRATED and OVERWEIGHT cetner! Sad!". He didn't release this video. The timing was not his choice, and the words were simple and clear.

I agree with New Era, it would have been a lot worse look if he had hemmed and haweed and BS'ed when everyone knew how he really felt. I guess he could have just said, "No comment," but do you think Cousins would have stopped there?

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Temple is a true pro and should be a player every team wants. Rudy was just god awful and getting worse as the season goes on.

It wasnt his most eye popping performance but this has to be one of Boogies best and most complete games as a King. Not forcing the issue but getting everyone involved. Moving the ball and getting it back in a better position to score. Getting after it on the boards. Being engaged on defense, blocking shots and forcing turnovers. Coming up clutch with two big threes with the game on the line.

Not the point.

You make no sense. He DID express his opinion when Cousins asked him. He said he thinks the team would be better off without him. So, it's only okay for him to express his opinion if his opinion coincides with yours??

Not the point.

He sounded like a schlub. Timid and socially awkward when Boogie put him on the spot. The guy is a nobody with modicum of talent. This does not mean Boogie was out-of-line when he verbally assaulted him because I think he was, but he did not come off well in that exchange. He came off as a sad sack, a nerd with a laptop, incapable of repertoire and accepting olive branch extended. A good reporter has requisite social skill to respond in moment, to be confident and self-assured not intimidated so easily. Who reads his columns by the way? Old timers stuck in the 70s and 80s who still subscribe to the newspaper instead of getting news on-line? And if he is writing commentary his role is NOT to be objective, it is to offer opinion, his subjective take. How does this differ from you or I? It is still a perspective with or without merit based on persuasiveness and verifiable data with which it is presented. A guy with press pass may have access to more information than the average fan, but it is still partial and subject to the filter through which the information is processed. The point is his relevance and significance is not what you assign it to be, especially when has done little to garner respect or attention for his body of work.

You're new here. You'll find out quickly that if you try and keep people from sounding a bit childish, you won't have time for much else. We're a sports message board. Being petulant and childish is what we do. :)
Unrelated but I do think the level of "childishness" is much higher these days than it used to be. No wonder some of the good old timers don't post or hang around anymore

It wasnt his most eye popping performance but this has to be one of Boogies best and most complete games as a King. Not forcing the issue but getting everyone involved. Moving the ball and getting it back in a better position to score. Getting after it on the boards. Being engaged on defense, blocking shots and forcing turnovers. Coming up clutch with two big threes with the game on the line.
Collison and Rudy will be shipped out soon enough.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Unrelated but I do think the level of "childishness" is much higher these days than it used to be. No wonder some of the good old timers don't post or hang around anymore
A lot of the good old timers quit because of the vitriolic tone so many posts seem to have. This place was a lot more friendly and fun back when the Kings were a team on the rise. Had we just quit winning it would have been one thing. But the way the Maloofs managed the attempt to scuttle the Kings ship created animosity and anger and divisiveness that some just didn't feel like enduring. Good souls like Prophetess, sixth, Kingsgurl and more slowly but surely dropped away. Incredible posters like NME faded into the distance. :(

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
He sounded like a schlub. Timid and socially awkward when Boogie put him on the spot. The guy is a nobody with modicum of talent. This does not mean Boogie was out-of-line when he verbally assaulted him because I think he was, but he did not come off well in that exchange. He came off as a sad sack, a nerd with a laptop, incapable of repertoire and accepting olive branch extended. A good reporter has requisite social skill to respond in moment, to be confident and self-assured not intimidated so easily. Who reads his columns by the way? Old timers stuck in the 70s and 80s who still subscribe to the newspaper instead of getting news on-line? And if he is writing commentary his role is NOT to be objective, it is to offer opinion, his subjective take. How does this differ from you or I?...
I already explained what the difference is; re-read post #38, if you are still unclear.

L

Lopes

You're new here. You'll find out quickly that if you try and keep people from sounding a bit childish, you won't have time for much else. We're a sports message board. Being petulant and childish is what we do. :)
I just irony in complaining about someone being childish and then acting childish

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I just irony in complaining about someone being childish and then acting childish
MOD VOICE: I was trying to be subtle but apparently that didn't work. It's not up to you to decide if someone is "acting childish"... and it's not up to you to tell someone to stop. Those kinds of comments never lead to anything good. Thanks for understanding.

L

Lopes

MOD VOICE: I was trying to be subtle but apparently that didn't work. It's not up to you to decide if someone is "acting childish"... and it's not up to you to tell someone to stop. Those kinds of comments never lead to anything good. Thanks for understanding.
My bad apparently I missed the purpose of a message board.

Concerned Poster Voice:
But this is ok?:

BricklayerDon't Make Me Use The BatStaff Member Contributor
"This is basically a very primitive I.Q. test.

You either agree with the extension or you have the basketball I.Q. of a flatworm.

That's kind of insulting to flatworms though as doing this extension is literally a no brainer. "

Therefore I will change my post to:

One who calls others childish in childish ways has a basketball IQ of a flatworm.

Last edited by a moderator: