Players to watch: 2016/17 college season.

One final thought on the UCLA/Kentucky game. I think anyone that watched that game had to admit that it was one entertaining game. The speed that both teams played at, especially Kentucky made the game a lot of fun to watch, not to mention the talent level on both teams. I went back and rewatched parts of the game to focus on certain players, and it struck me that I was enjoying the game more than I have most of the Kings games this season.

I could live with either Ball or Fox as the Kings PG of the future. Both players are unselfish, and while both have very good court vision, they both have their way of getting the job done. No right or wrong there, just different. Both are fun to watch.. I've also been very impressed with Leaf so far. Not flashy, but always around the ball grabbing rebounds and getting putbacks. Capable of hitting the 15 to 18 foot shot. Very smart player.

Monk had another typical game for him scoring either from the three, or at the basket. Monk is a good defender as well.

Another player to watch for Kentucky is Gabriel. Good rebounder and shotblocker who can step out and hit the three. Also good man to man defender.

I think Derek Willis will find himself a spot in the NBA with his ability to hit the three. The NBA seems to be in love with PF's that can shoot from the outside.

Did anyone notice Bam Adebayo's lateral quickness. He can really move his feet for a 6'10", 255 lb big man.
I am really high on Adebayo for the reason you already mentioned. At the end of the first half, they even had Adebayo guard Lonzo Ball and Ball couldnt get a step on him. Compared to other centers with that much lateral quickness (f.e.Willie) Adebayo is also very strong, a unique combination.

Not the thread for this for international prospects, but I'll put him here too: 6'5 190lbs PG Frank Ntilikina. Great size, good playmaker, good athlete, solid shooter, solid handles, and a ton of potential on defense.
He's been the forgotten player in this PG core due to how well both Fultz and Ball have been playing. I personally have him 3rd in my PG rankings right behind Fultz and Ball, but ahead of Dennis Smith Jr.
Right now, he's playing overseas for France's best league. He has had limited PT while being forced to play almost exclusively off-ball. However, in the last few games, he's been able to operate as a ball handler, and looks extremely impressive doing so. Flashes the same things everyone saw in U-18.

vs. Mornar: 19mins, 10pts 4asts 3rebs 1stl 0to
  • 2pt: 2-2
  • 3pt: 1-3
  • FT: 3-4
vs. Juventus: 24mins, 11pts 5asts 3 rebs 3stls 2tos
  • 2pt: 4-7
  • 3pt: 1-2
I've been meaning to do a write-up on him for some time, but I saw that DX had a really good video-breakdown of his game vs. Mornar.

I think him and Mudiay were extremely different prospects, but if Mudiay can get drafted at 7 with extremely question bball IQ and a broken-looking shot, then I think Ntilikina is a top 5 pick.

Some thoughts from today's earlier games:
  • Really unsure why people continue to over-look Josh Hart. He's a high bball IQ player who can play on both ends of the floor. Are there any real concerns about his game? He should be a late 1st rounder. Very solid role player.
  • It's games like today for Lauri Markkanen that make me think he's more of a late lotto player than a top 5 guy. 21mins, 8pts 6rebs 2asts but 3tos and fouled out. He didn't show up in the Gonzaga game either. Extremely inconsistent, and it's hard to get a real feel on him. At this point, the only things I know for sure about him is that A) he's a good shooter and B) he's extremely raw, and will be a project.
  • Hard to see whether or not Josh Jackson will be able to be a franchise player in the NBA. I'm leaning towards no.
Lots of prospects playing today, Jackson, Tatum, Ball, Kuzma, etc. It'll be a fun Saturday.

Last edited:
Finally been able to watch some college ball. Feltz looks to be on another level, he has franchise cornerstone written all over him. This draft looks very strong at the top actually, some amazing prospects. This would be the year to jump into the top 3 if we don't make the playoffs.

There's so much talent on the floor with this Duke team. Wow. Jayson Tatum, Marques Bolden, Grayson Allen, and Luke Kennard with very good college players in Matt Jones, Frank Jackson, and Amille Jefferson.

If Duke is able to develop chemistry, they'll be unstoppable.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Finally been able to watch some college ball. Feltz looks to be on another level, he has franchise cornerstone written all over him. This draft looks very strong at the top actually, some amazing prospects. This would be the year to jump into the top 3 if we don't make the playoffs.
The Kings don't have the luxury of landing in the top 3...history repeats itself time and time again when those ping pong balls bounce around

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Some thoughts from today's earlier games:
  • Really unsure why people continue to over-look Josh Hart. He's a high bball IQ player who can play on both ends of the floor. Are there any real concerns about his game? He should be a late 1st rounder. Very solid role player.
  • It's games like today for Lauri Markkanen that make me think he's more of a late lotto player than a top 5 guy. 21mins, 8pts 6rebs 2asts but 3tos and fouled out. He didn't show up in the Gonzaga game either. Extremely inconsistent, and it's hard to get a real feel on him. At this point, the only things I know for sure about him is that A) he's a good shooter and B) he's extremely raw, and will be a project.
  • Hard to see whether or not Josh Jackson will be able to be a franchise player in the NBA. I'm leaning towards no.
Lots of prospects playing today, Jackson, Tatum, Ball, Kuzma, etc. It'll be a fun Saturday.
Well if had to bet money on either Markkanen or Jackson, I'd take Jackson. Whether he's a franchise player of not is something we won't know for some time. Very talented player that needs to improve his outside shot. I might remind most out there that Michael Jordan wasn't a good outside shooter, nor was Lebron. There are many others as well. Look how many players come out of college as good shooters, and then struggle to shoot the ball in the NBA for a couple of years. Tough transition for all of them. I agree with you on Markkanen. So far I'm not that impressed. He has some obvious skills, but appears lost at times. So like you I have him going somewhere between 11 and 15. He could slide further if he doesn't start to show some improvement. Maybe he should have a conversation with Skal.

Funny you should mention Josh Hart, who is having his best year yet, and I'm sure all the scouts are thinking the same thing I'm thinking, is he for real, or is this season so far an abberation? Throughout Hart's career, every time he's had a chance to shine against top competition, he's failed to show up. Yes, I know he helped win an NCAA championship, but I'm talking about individual matchups throughout his career. He's always seemed to lack that "It" factor. Right now he's doing everything he can to work his way into the first round. Hart could be one of those guys that ends up being a better pro than he was a college player.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
There's so much talent on the floor with this Duke team. Wow. Jayson Tatum, Marques Bolden, Grayson Allen, and Luke Kennard with very good college players in Matt Jones, Frank Jackson, and Amille Jefferson.

If Duke is able to develop chemistry, they'll be unstoppable.
Think about this, their best player hasn't even suited up yet, Harry Giles. Duke is taking their time and letting him fully recover from his surgery. Don't know if you've ever seen him play in highschool, but before his current injury, he was ranked hands down as the best highschool player in the nation. Of course it remains to be seen how he plays after the injury, but he has youth on his side. He's a terrific talent.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
UCLA has some ball players; Ball, Leaf, Holiday, Anigbogu all had nice outings tonight versus the Wolverines
Ball is getting all the press, but I really like how Leaf plays the game. Always around the ball, defends the basket well, can hit the outside shot, rebounds and can pass the ball. Real solid player. He makes what Ball is trying to do much easier.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
If Giles comes back and looks like his former self, he's a top five player, and maybe the number one pick in the draft. The way the draft is shaping up, the top five is getting crowded, which means this could end up being a very deep draft with potential starters and future stars. To bad that Fultz is on an underachieving team that might not make the NCAA tournament, similar to Simmons last season.

Leaf might not be a franchise player, or a star, but he's the type of player that will have a solid productive career and really help a team win. There are some other players like Wenyen Gabriel of Kentucky, that is still rough around the edges, but you can see that he has the potential to maybe be something special in a couple of years. If Briscoe can eventually become just a decent shooter, he can be a very good player. He can get to the basket at will right now. Of course all you have to do is watch Fultz play for five minutes and you can see what a special player he is. And Ball is who Fox wants to be when he grows up. :rolleyes:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Watched the Florida St./Florida game today. A player to keep you eye on is Dwayne Bacon of Florida St. He had a great game today. Athletic 6'7" SF that could possibly play some SG in the NBA. He can attack the basket, and he's shooting over 40% from the three. Over 50% overall. Everyone thought he was going to be a one and done player after last season, but his mother convinced him to return for his sophmore year. He's a talented kid...Isaac got into early foul trouble, and as a result didn't play much in the first half.

What are your thoughts on forward OG Anunoby from IU if we keep our pick and miss out on the top PG prospects? He has his weaknesses namely his handles but plays strong defense, a good shot blocker, gets in passing lanes for steals. His shooting percentages are very nice as well. Seems to be having a good sophomore year minus his recent ankle injury which I think he has since been cleared from. Also seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

What are your thoughts on forward OG Anunoby from IU if we keep our pick and miss out on the top PG prospects? He has his weaknesses namely his handles but plays strong defense, a good shot blocker, gets in passing lanes for steals. His shooting percentages are very nice as well. Seems to be having a good sophomore year minus his recent ankle injury which I think he has since been cleared from. Also seems to have a good head on his shoulders.
Not Baja, but the Kings should be able to get a franchise PG in the top 10.

I think Anunoby would be a great defensive prospect. As good as he is on defense, he's also a solid offensive player. He's starting to shoot the 3 ball a little bit more consistently. He also does a nice job with his straight line drives. With that being said, he's still a really limited offensive player. He doesn't have a lot of moves in his arsenal at this point. Some people have compared him to Kawhi, but Kawhi was a much better scorer from SDSU.

I'd look to find a franchise player, but I don't know if Anunoby could be that player. He's still extremely young, but I hesitant a lot when it comes to the Kings' player development.

Watched the Florida St./Florida game today. A player to keep you eye on is Dwayne Bacon of Florida St. He had a great game today. Athletic 6'7" SF that could possibly play some SG in the NBA. He can attack the basket, and he's shooting over 40% from the three. Over 50% overall. Everyone thought he was going to be a one and done player after last season, but his mother convinced him to return for his sophmore year. He's a talented kid...Isaac got into early foul trouble, and as a result didn't play much in the first half.
Last year, I think Dwayne Bacon was the better guard for FSU, but Beasley had the shooting and age. Bacon seems like a guy who can come in and take over a game, similar to someone like Nick Young. If he's able to consistently shoot the 3 ball, I could see him being taken in the late 1st. However, since this is an incredibly deep class, he could slip to the 2nd.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
`
Anunoby has a chance to be a very good defensive player. I don't see him as a guard though. He's a 6'8" SF with a huge wingspan. My only knock on him right now is that he has a tendency to disappear at times. Don't want to overstate it. He's not as bad as McLemore was at Kansas.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Not Baja, but the Kings should be able to get a franchise PG in the top 10.

I think Anunoby would be a great defensive prospect. As good as he is on defense, he's also a solid offensive player. He's starting to shoot the 3 ball a little bit more consistently. He also does a nice job with his straight line drives. With that being said, he's still a really limited offensive player. He doesn't have a lot of moves in his arsenal at this point. Some people have compared him to Kawhi, but Kawhi was a much better scorer from SDSU.

I'd look to find a franchise player, but I don't know if Anunoby could be that player. He's still extremely young, but I hesitant a lot when it comes to the Kings' player development.

Last year, I think Dwayne Bacon was the better guard for FSU, but Beasley had the shooting and age. Bacon seems like a guy who can come in and take over a game, similar to someone like Nick Young. If he's able to consistently shoot the 3 ball, I could see him being taken in the late 1st. However, since this is an incredibly deep class, he could slip to the 2nd.
Yeah the key with Bacon is his outside shot. If he can continue to shoot well from there, his stock will rise. But your right, in this class, his ceiling is lower than normal. I certainly hope that we can acquire a first round pick when we trade Gay.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Yeah the key with Bacon is his outside shot. If he can continue to shoot well from there, his stock will rise. But your right, in this class, his ceiling is lower than normal. I certainly hope that we can acquire a first round pick when we trade Gay.
What team will give up a first round pick for a rental of Gay without commitment? No one. Especially since this draft is being labeled as one of the "deeper" drafts. First round picks most likely won't be thrown around as it would of been in a draft such as the 2016 one.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
What team will give up a first round pick for a rental of Gay without commitment? No one. Especially since this draft is being labeled as one of the "deeper" drafts. First round picks most likely won't be thrown around as it would of been in a draft such as the 2016 one.
I don't disagree, but one can always hope. First you have to find a team that really wants Gay, and I'm not sure one even exists. Maybe we throw McLemore into a deal as a sweetener. Remember, other teams don't always look at our players in the same negative light that we do. Be interesting to see if Philly would trade Stauskas back to us for McLemore. My guess is that they wouldn't....Stauskas playing well now.

The first round pick thing was kind of why I had an eye on Anunoby. When we lose Gay, another SF would be nice to have in the pipeline. Denver has their own pick as well as the Memphis pick if it falls into 6-30 which it certainly will. I dont know who Denver has at SF but perhaps reuniting Gay with Malone is a possibility. Not likely but like Bajaden said one can always hope.

We're almost 1/3 way through the season, so we do have a rough idea of the prospects in this class. This looks like the best and deepest PG class since

PGs:
*IN BOLD are guys who have a higher chance of going in the top 10
  • Markelle Fultz
  • Lonzo Ball
  • Dennis Smith Jr.
  • Frank Ntilinka
  • DeAron Fox
  • Frank Jackson
  • Jawun Evans
  • Edmund Sumner
  • Melo Trimble
  • Monte Morris
On top of being a very deep PG class, it's also deep with talent elsewhere. I'll give the list of guys who could legitimately go in the 1st round this year:
*IN BOLD are guys who have a higher chance of going in the top 10

SGs
1. Malik Monk
2. Terrance Ferguson
3. Grayson Allen
4.Kostja Mushidi
5. Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk
6. Dwayne Bacon

SFs
1. Josh Jackson
2. Jonathan Isaac
3. Jayson Tatum
4. OG Anunoby

5. Miles Bridges

PFs
1. Harry Giles
2. Lauri Markkanen
3. Ivan Rabb

4. Isaiah Hartenstein
5. Tyler Lydon
6. TJ Leaf
7. Jonathan Jeanne

Cs
1. Marques Bolden
2. Thomas Bryant
3. Omer Yurtseven
4. Bam Adebayo

my rankings aren't necessarily a representative of who I think is better...but more about me being able to think of the guys off the top of my head.

Alright, I'll admit, I do have an agenda with what I just posted up there ^

There's a very real chance that we lose our pick in this draft.

Our pick is only top 10 protected. There's a chance that we can miss the playoffs, while still losing our pick. Now, my question: Knowing how deep this draft class is already shaping out to be(with lots more games left, and lots more player improvements), what situation do you think would be best for the Kings?

It would be really unfortunate for the Kings to not be able to pick out from any of those names this year. Those are all extremely talented players. I feel confident when I say this. If the guys in bold were in last year's draft class, they would replace about 10 players who went in the lotto last year..

K

KingMilz

The first round pick thing was kind of why I had an eye on Anunoby. When we lose Gay, another SF would be nice to have in the pipeline. Denver has their own pick as well as the Memphis pick if it falls into 6-30 which it certainly will. I dont know who Denver has at SF but perhaps reuniting Gay with Malone is a possibility. Not likely but like Bajaden said one can always hope.
Gallaneri/Wilson Chandler (was/is leading the NBA in bench scoring)/this years pick Hernangomez

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Alright, I'll admit, I do have an agenda with what I just posted up there ^

There's a very real chance that we lose our pick in this draft.

Our pick is only top 10 protected. There's a chance that we can miss the playoffs, while still losing our pick. Now, my question: Knowing how deep this draft class is already shaping out to be(with lots more games left, and lots more player improvements), what situation do you think would be best for the Kings?

It would be really unfortunate for the Kings to not be able to pick out from any of those names this year. Those are all extremely talented players. I feel confident when I say this. If the guys in bold were in last year's draft class, they would replace about 10 players who went in the lotto last year..
First, you list is pretty accurate in general. One could argue the order, but that usually depends on the team picking and what their looking for. As to the question, what would be the best course of action for the Kings, my answer would be to find a way to keep the pick, and if not, then acquire as high a pick as possible. Doing the second might be difficult in a year where were about to have the deepest draft in 20 years.

Personally, I'm leaning toward blowing up the team. I've been a huge fan of Cousins. I supported drafting him, and I've defended him over and over again. But for whatever reason, it's not working. I truly wish it were, but it's not, and I'm tired of offering reasons as to why it's not. I was listening to Marc Spears on Grants show yesterday, and this question was put to him. And his answer was the same as mine, and his reason was because if the Kings were ever going to blow up the team, then now is the time to do so, because of this draft.

He said he would make the trade with Boston, if that trade was still on the table and he thinks it is. Trade Cousins, Gay, Mclemore, and acquire both Net's 1st round picks, this years and next. And then tank the rest of the season. It's possible the Kings could end up with two top five picks. He, like me thinks that Ball is one of the most special players in the draft, and wouldn't it be nice to walk away with lets say, Ball, and Jackson, both considered possible franchise players. I know your not yet that high on Jackson, but trust me, he's going to be a great NBA player.

Add those players to what we already have and you have the beginnings of a very good team, with the possibility of another top pick the following year. There will be some growing pains, but the team will be fun to watch, and will have a long term future. I have no idea what the market is for either Gay or McLemore, but get what you can. That would include Collison as well, and anyone that's on the last year of their contract that you don't want to resign, or you think won't resign. It's possible that Casspi, who I like, is in that group.

By the way, as a side note, I wouldn't have Melo Trimble in my top thirty. I've watched that dude play too many games, and there's nothing about him that I like... Just me!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I know your not yet that high on Jackson, but trust me, he's going to be a great NBA player.
I like Jackson quite a bit, but he has a few warts that are showing up in outside shooting and decision making that throw up a bit of a yellow flag. I only saw Tatum play one game, but I definitely need to see more. He impressed me a ton. I'm open to the idea of Tatum jumping Jackson in the SF list, at least for now.

By the way, as a side note, I wouldn't have Melo Trimble in my top thirty. I've watched that dude play too many games, and there's nothing about him that I like... Just me!
It's not just you. :)

First, you list is pretty accurate in general. One could argue the order, but that usually depends on the team picking and what their looking for. As to the question, what would be the best course of action for the Kings, my answer would be to find a way to keep the pick, and if not, then acquire as high a pick as possible. Doing the second might be difficult in a year where were about to have the deepest draft in 20 years.

Personally, I'm leaning toward blowing up the team. I've been a huge fan of Cousins. I supported drafting him, and I've defended him over and over again. But for whatever reason, it's not working. I truly wish it were, but it's not, and I'm tired of offering reasons as to why it's not. I was listening to Marc Spears on Grants show yesterday, and this question was put to him. And his answer was the same as mine, and his reason was because if the Kings were ever going to blow up the team, then now is the time to do so, because of this draft.

He said he would make the trade with Boston, if that trade was still on the table and he thinks it is. Trade Cousins, Gay, Mclemore, and acquire both Net's 1st round picks, this years and next. And then tank the rest of the season. It's possible the Kings could end up with two top five picks. He, like me thinks that Ball is one of the most special players in the draft, and wouldn't it be nice to walk away with lets say, Ball, and Jackson, both considered possible franchise players. I know your not yet that high on Jackson, but trust me, he's going to be a great NBA player.

Add those players to what we already have and you have the beginnings of a very good team, with the possibility of another top pick the following year. There will be some growing pains, but the team will be fun to watch, and will have a long term future. I have no idea what the market is for either Gay or McLemore, but get what you can. That would include Collison as well, and anyone that's on the last year of their contract that you don't want to resign, or you think won't resign. It's possible that Casspi, who I like, is in that group.

I'm right with you. Rebuilding would be a really nice option.
On Trimble, I was much higher on him in his freshman year, and he's starting to pick things up. I don't think he'll be a starting PG, but he's going to be a very solid backup.

I'd be extremely happy to come out of the draft with Ball-Jackson. Kings need a franchise PG....and there are a lot in this draft. please....can we get at least just 1? I'll settle for DeAaron Fox....

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I like Jackson quite a bit, but he has a few warts that are showing up in outside shooting and decision making that throw up a bit of a yellow flag. I only saw Tatum play one game, but I definitely need to see more. He impressed me a ton. I'm open to the idea of Tatum jumping Jackson in the SF list, at least for now.

It's not just you. :)
I like Tatum quite a bit too. Just to see him play more. Looks like Duke is trying to slowly work him in along with Bolden. Still waiting to see Giles suit up.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm right with you. Rebuilding would be a really nice option.
On Trimble, I was much higher on him in his freshman year, and he's starting to pick things up. I don't think he'll be a starting PG, but he's going to be a very solid backup.

I'd be extremely happy to come out of the draft with Ball-Jackson. Kings need a franchise PG....and there are a lot in this draft. please....can we get at least just 1? I'll settle for DeAaron Fox....
I thought Maryland had a lot of talent last year, and the only thing holding them back was Trimble. Just my opinion..

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
this Kentucky/North Carolina match up is fun to watch...better than watching pro basketball as of late. Fox & Monk came to play...bringing their A games