Bogdan Bogdanovic

Status
Not open for further replies.
from what ive seen so far wingspan is the greatest indicator of whether or not someone has the potential to be a star

but those with average wingspans can at least become contributors like jj barea

Bogdan looks like a talent the Kings can use ASAP. I will say he has done the smart thing collecting larger paychecks in Europe during the time when he would be limited by the NBA Rookie salary structure.

For those that follow the game in Europe one question I have is when would his season be done? Is there a chance he will finish up in Europe and we see him towards the end of the NBA season?

from what ive seen so far wingspan is the greatest indicator of whether or not someone has the potential to be a star

Its not the greatest indicator but so important. The greatest indicator to me is reaction time or concept that first to the ball wins. And when you have long arms you are often first to the ball. But you can have length and react slowly to plays. That's one of the reasons I knew a guy like Jason Thompson was a scrub before it was made official and he washed out of the league in the "prime years" of his career. He was a half step late on every play because he just did not have instincts to go after it.

It's also one of the reasons I LOVE players like Buddy Hield and Kris Dunn before the draft. Their reaction time is outstanding. While Buddy is known for his ability to shoot and create, he does a tremendous job in transition, a function of reaction time to change in team possession. Dunn also reacts well to get through picks anticipate where his opponent is headed to cut him off at the pass.

If I were an NBA scout, I would look to size and speed and length as first indicator, and then reaction time as an intangible within context of tangibles. As an aside this is something that could hold back Willie from developing into a ferocious presence in the paint. His reaction time and anticipation the ball is poor as a rebounder (better as a shot blocker) despite his extraordinary length. I am not sure how much he can improve in this regard, since the instinct to go after the ball and anticipate is often there or it is not.

Getting stronger in his base will help him hold his ground and clean the glass but he needs to do a better job of going and getting it instead of standing there before it is too late. 4-5 times in the first summer game he missed rebounds he could (should) have had.

Bogdan looks like a talent the Kings can use ASAP. I will say he has done the smart thing collecting larger paychecks in Europe during the time when he would be limited by the NBA Rookie salary structure.

For those that follow the game in Europe one question I have is when would his season be done? Is there a chance he will finish up in Europe and we see him towards the end of the NBA season?
To answer your question, it is highly unlikely!

The thing with Bogdan, his decision to stay in Europe for a few years after he got drafted was not necessarily made because of money. He often said that he wants to develop his game to the point where he can be a contributor when he comes over to the NBA. He didn't want to come over, sit at the end of the bench and play in D-League which is much more inferior league to Euroleague. He signed with a team whose coach knows how to develop players so it worked our great for him.

Fener is highly likely to contend for Euroleague title next season as well so there will be no early, buy outs and Bogdan coming over early.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
BTW, Serbia is in the same group as USA so a lot of you can see Bogdan up against NBA competition, including our own DMC.
I want to see how Bogdan does against Team USA's wings. Euroleague is one thing but Jimmy Butler, Paul George, and Draymond Green are different monsters altogether. If he manages to look good against those guys, I'll buy every Bogdan jersey I can get my hands on. If not, oh well, he's probably still a plus player in the NBA.

K

KingMilz

IF you have league pass you can probably go back to last years preseason to see what he looked like against NBA comp I believe they played the Nets and he played for Fenerbaca (spelling). There's also a game against the Thunder.

IF you have league pass you can probably go back to last years preseason to see what he looked like against NBA comp I believe they played the Nets and he played for Fenerbaca (spelling). There's also a game against the Thunder.
Fenerbahçe. Apparently he was on a holiday in Turkey near the Greek islands while the attempted coup and escaped to Greece. Maybe we have a better chance to get him now!!

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Barea is a midget and he's 6'6". A wee bit of a difference. Wingspan is helpful of course, but it's the skill set that matters, and he appears to be very skilled. If he struggles at all it will probably be on the defensive end. We'll see!

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I read that somewhere but that was Bojan, the guy who has played for the Nets.
Easy to confuse the two, and there are two of them. Only difference is position, height, and first name. The Nets player is Bojan who is a 6'8" SF and the one the Kings acquired is Bogdan, a 6'6" SG who has never played in the NBA. Same last name, but I don't think there's any relationship.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Your talking about the wrong player. Bogdan is the Kings player and Bojan is the player that played for the Net's.

K

KingMilz

Your talking about the wrong player. Bogdan is the Kings player and Bojan is the player that played for the Net's.
Nah I said they played the Nets both guys actually played for Fener with our Bogdanovic basically replacing the Nets one after he left to the NBA.

Fenerbahçe. Apparently he was on a holiday in Turkey near the Greek islands while the attempted coup and escaped to Greece. Maybe we have a better chance to get him now!!
I doubt he continues playing in Turkey after what has happened. The only question is whether he takes the year off or comes over and plays with us.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I doubt he continues playing in Turkey after what has happened. The only question is whether he takes the year off or comes over and plays with us.
Again, the reports say this was Bojan who "escaped" the attempted coup, not Bogdan.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report...escaped-turkish-coup-on-a-boat-165504076.html

I don't imagine it is at all clear whether the attempted coup is going to affect the Turkish basketball leagues. But even if it did, it would probably still be financially prudent for Bogdan to wait a year to come over, because he can avoid being constrained to the rookie salary scale.

Again, the reports say this was Bojan who "escaped" the attempted coup, not Bogdan.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report...escaped-turkish-coup-on-a-boat-165504076.html

I don't imagine it is at all clear whether the attempted coup is going to affect the Turkish basketball leagues. But even if it did, it would probably still be financially prudent for Bogdan to wait a year to come over, because he can avoid being constrained to the rookie salary scale.
My mistake... As I read the news on Turkish newspapers I assumed without giving much thought that it was Bogdan. Anyway. Turkish league will go on as usual. I am sure if any, only few players might opt out of Turkey. They earn huge money and life is pretty nice here despite all the crap going around. But who knows? I completely agree with you that even if Bogdan opts out he might choose another Euroleague team for a year and then come to the Kings for the reasons you mention about salaries of rookies and drafted players.

Really?!

Dude he is from Serbia, what happened in Turkey hardly scares. I am sure he has faced something at least as scary as that in Serbia. I would be absolutely shocked if he leaves Fenerbahce before his contract is up.

Really?!

Dude he is from Serbia, what happened in Turkey hardly scares. I am sure he has faced something at least as scary as that in Serbia. I would be absolutely shocked if he leaves Fenerbahce before his contract is up.
Whats going on in Turkey can turn really ugly really quick and he's a high value person. I'm trying not to make this political but lets be honest....what happening in Turkey is kinda chilling.

Whats going on in Turkey can turn really ugly really quick and he's a high value person. I'm trying not to make this political but lets be honest....what happening in Turkey is kinda chilling.
I live in Turkey, I am Turkish. When you know the place, nothing to be scared of. Bogdan knows Istanbul. So he will not be afraid. If he had never been in Turkey and was preparing to play here for the first time, then he might have change his mind. Before that i lived 4 years in Tel Aviv during Cast led operation and more. Same. Nothing to be afraid.

To someone looking from the Western world then yes, it might be chilling but in reality it is hardly anything that people who are familiar with that region are overly scared off. he would have lived through simialr things in Serbia. He is no stranger to that type of thing.

I live in Turkey, I am Turkish. When you know the place, nothing to be scared of. Bogdan knows Istanbul. So he will not be afraid. If he had never been in Turkey and was preparing to play here for the first time, then he might have change his mind. Before that i lived 4 years in Tel Aviv during Cast led operation and more. Same. Nothing to be afraid.
Precisely! He is a kid that has grown up though bombings of his home town as a kid, he would have experienced this sort of thing previously in Serbia with the government there not to mention the "wild west" that Serbia was during his teenage years. He has played basketball games where he would have feared for his life because the opposition supporters are out of control and wanting to beat him up. Knowing the mentality of the kid, he wouldn't have blinked at what was happening, let alone looking to leave early.

To someone looking from the Western world then yes, it might be chilling but in reality it is hardly anything that people who are familiar with that region are overly scared off. he would have lived through simialr things in Serbia. He is no stranger to that type of thing.

Precisely! He is a kid that has grown up though bombings of his home town as a kid, he would have experienced this sort of thing previously in Serbia with the government there not to mention the "wild west" that Serbia was during his teenage years. He has played basketball games where he would have feared for his life because the opposition supporters are out of control and wanting to beat him up. Knowing the mentality of the kid, he wouldn't have blinked at what was happening, let alone looking to leave early.
So many assumptions! What's going on in his head is total guesswork - until we have some insight based on an interview with the man himself. What's going on in Turkey is not business as usual, if one is paying attention.

BOLD PREDICTION

Sadly I am assuming his game wont transition to the potential all of us Kings Fans want it to be. Solid Player but I cant help but think when he plays against elite players at his position. I was very angry about trading our pick. We would've been better with keeping "Chriss" at #8, MARK MY WORDS.

BOLD PREDICTION

Sadly I am assuming his game wont transition to the potential all of us Kings Fans want it to be. Solid Player but I cant help but think when he plays against elite players at his position. I was very angry about trading our pick. We would've been better with keeping "Chriss" at #8, MARK MY WORDS.
Oh, okay. Well, since you said "MARK MY WORDS" I'll have to take your word for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.