Coaching Candidates for next season (merged)

Yall are downplaying Mike Woodson. He had the Hawks in the playoffs and took the Knicks to the playoffs. Atlanta was horrible when he arrived.

It looks like the Kings are going to interview Mike Woodson and Vinny del Negro in the near future. Kevin McHale is also in the interest list, but it is not clear if he is interested. Maybe two more candidates on the list. That's the rumor on the Bleacher Report.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mike Woodson added to the coaching pool options in the first post of this spread.

Right now it is sounding like:

JVG to Houston
Thibs to Minnesota
Brooks to Washington
also sounds like the Lakers are considering keeping Scott and the Knicks are considering keeping Rambis. I figured one of them would go hard after Luke Walton.

I would expect Vlade to interview as many candidates as possible, the fact that Woodson is on the list should not be of great interest or concern at this point. To my way of thinking the two candidates that are a best fit are likely Mchale and Blatt but that does not mean you don't cast a wide net and take some time in the search.

Mike Woodson did turn the Hawks around about a decade ago so he's got that going for him. As a fan the prospect of him coaching in not exciting or intriguing really, but I don't really care who all they interview.

We might turn out nose up at Mike Woodson, but let us remember the head coach we have just fired...

George Karl had twenty one .500 or better seasons consecutively before taking the job here. He missed the play offs once in that run and that was when his Milwaukee team went .500, the other seasons his team's were better than .500 and made the play offs. His career win percentage currently stands at .588, not sure what it was before he came here, but Karl's resume was extremely impressive before coming to this team and yet he failed to get this team back into the play offs.

So what I'm saying is, we just had a future HOF coach and he couldn't get this team to the next level, and if someone like that can't get the job done then there's no clear cut route when picking our next head coach. Maybe a retread like Thibs is the right man for the job, or maybe we need to look at the best assistant and first time head coach, or perhaps we need a college head coach. I don't know which is the right type for us to go after because coaching hires don't get much better than future hall of famers...

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Leave no stone unturned... I like it Vlade!

We are also in no position to deny an interview to anyone at this point with the way Malone and Corbin were disrespected last year.
And that's the reality.

There will almost always be 4-8 potential job openings with NBA teams. Unless they are nearing the end of their coaching career (as Karl was) in demand coaches know that even though there are only 30 head coaching jobs, they can wait a year for better options than to take a gig they aren't comfortable with. That goes for guys like JVG who can just remain in his television role or a assistants like Luke Walton or Udoka/Messina who can remain on the bench of the NBA's best teams.

Thibodeau was never a realistic option. The Kings are a small market team without promising young talent who have built a terrible reputation as a franchise with a revolving coaching door, no long term plan for success and a meddling owner. Add in at least one (DeMarcus) and possibly two (Rondo) headache players and it's very easy for a coach with other options to pass on the Kings opening and consider other jobs.

Vlade will not get his pick of all available coaches. But hopefully of the coaches who ARE willing to take the Kings job he picks the best one.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Mike Woodson added to the coaching pool options in the first post of this spread.

Right now it is sounding like:

JVG to Houston
Thibs to Minnesota
Brooks to Washington
also sounds like the Lakers are considering keeping Scott and the Knicks are considering keeping Rambis. I figured one of them would go hard after Luke Walton.
How come you haven't added Nate McMillan or Patrick Ewing to the coaching candidate list yet? Both have been cited by reputable sources (Marc Stein and Jason Jones, respectively).

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Sacramento would be so good to Thibs, no need for him to disrespect our city.
I'm a little confused. How is Tibs disrespecting our city? To the best of my knowledge, I don't think he's mentioned Sacramento. I don't think accepting coaching job elsewhere is being disrespectful. What am I missing?

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Actually, as far as paraphrases go, that's close enough. He said he read it here, you challenged him for a quote, and he delivered one in about five minutes. Can't win 'em all.
Yes he delivered a quote -- it just doesn't say what he claimed it said. As far as paraphrases go, his attempt falls somewhere between facetiousness and straw-man reasoning. Maybe that's close enough for you, but from my point of view misquoting someone and then claiming victory on the basis of a throwaway line attributed to "unnamed sources" is bottom of the barrel provocation at best. And it makes me wonder why I even bother trying to converse with people if they're going to twist words to mean what they want them to mean anyway. If that's how it's going to be then we're not even communicating with each other at all, much less having a meaningful conversation.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
How come you haven't added Nate McMillan or Patrick Ewing to the coaching candidate list yet? Both have been cited by reputable sources (Marc Stein and Jason Jones, respectively).
There I added them. Are you happy now?

;)

I saw McMillan's name mentioned by I missed Jason Jones saying Patrick Ewing was under consideration. Ewing has never struck me as head coach material.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are there any assistant coach gems out there?
There are some highly regarded guys. Kenny Atkinson was one. He was an assistant in Atlanta and just got hired by the Nets and new GM Sean Marks.

Others still out there would be Jay Larranaga from the Celtics, David Fizdale from the Heat, Luke Walton from the Warriors and my favorite Ime Udoka from the Spurs.

I'd love JVG but he's not taking this gig. Kevin McHale is intriguing to me. But if he's not the guy I'm more interested in looking at current assistants and college coaches than I am in guys like Del Negro, Mike Brown or Mark Jackson.

One interesting option might be Brett Brown. I'm wondering if Colangelo doesn't push his current coach out the door in favor of current assistant (and previous Suns head coach under Colangelo) Mike D'Antoni.

If so, Brown would be available and I think he's a very good head coach despite having what must be the lowest winning percentage of any NBA coach in history.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I would expect Vlade to interview as many candidates as possible, the fact that Woodson is on the list should not be of great interest or concern at this point. To my way of thinking the two candidates that are a best fit are likely Mchale and Blatt but that does not mean you don't cast a wide net and take some time in the search.
I have a somewhat odd take on this that adds up to an agreement that Vlade will interview as many people as he can. Vlade doesn't know what a good coach sounds like when interviewed. If I was he, I would interview certifiably bad coaches to get a feel of the warning signs. I would have him interview many others to learn what to look for. He can have as much time as he needs because we really can't afford to screw up another signing.

So far we know that a coach who gives a PowerPoint demo may be one to think twice about. :)