Coaching Candidates for next season (merged)

Mchale in 2011:
"I'm not one of those guys that says 'this is my offense, run it,'  " McHale said. "If I had Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and I don't run a low-post offense, I'm not very smart. Same if I have Chris Webber,Vlade Divac and those guys and don't run a high-post offense. I'd say it is to have a team that plays very hard and plays to its strengths.

"Is there an ideal team? Yeah. For me, an ideal team would be two 7-foot guys that can flat-out block shots, rebound and score in the paint. When you find those guys, let me know."
http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets...ching-philosophy-lives-thrives-in-1684948.php

You know what Kevin, I think I know 2 guys

I'm rooting hard for Kevin Mchale as both a coach/GM. He knows talent and was a truly underrated GM. He did what he could with a less than desirable situation in Minnesota with Garnett's contract bascially hamstringing them from day 1. He's also proven he knows talent in the draft as well. I remember how bashed he got in that Love/Mayo trade. He also got a terrific trade package for Garnett and set them up for a quick rebuild but then that dingus stepped in and squandered it.

I dunno, Cousins seems to like honest people, people who he believes will support him too. Jackson doesn't seem to fit that for me. He reminds me more of a slick politician absorbing the talents of those around him, while throwing you under the bus if need be.

Mark Jackson is just, ugh, I'm not sold on him and he comes across much the same way to me. I think he'd be good for a team full of "nice" guys, not a team with an edge to it.

Report: Tom Thibodeau, Jeff Van Gundy, Scott Brooks not interested in Kings

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/04/13...n-gundy-scott-brooks-not-interested-in-kings/

Thibs and Brooks would've been my two favorites too.
Van Gundy is a TV guy now and I don't see him back as a Coach. Thibs will have his pick of the open positions most likely, why would he choose Sacto? IMO Brooks is not going to be so sought after that he would not listen to Vlade if an offer was made. Fortunately those 3 are not the only coaches in the world:)

No. When a coach becomes successful, he doesn't have to take a rebuild/change the culture/ prove I can make a winner out of anyone type of job. That's what's needed here, even with Cousins. So it's fun to wish for the big names, but in reality we're going to need to make a hire of someone who has a lot to prove. It's going to need to be an assistant waiting to take his shot, or a good college coach whose had success in college, but isn't yet fully ingrained in that culture.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
No. When a coach becomes successful, he doesn't have to take a rebuild/change the culture/ prove I can make a winner out of anyone type of job. That's what's needed here, even with Cousins. So it's fun to wish for the big names, but in reality we're going to need to make a hire of someone who has a lot to prove. It's going to need to be an assistant waiting to take his shot, or a good college coach whose had success in college, but isn't yet fully ingrained in that culture.
That's not always true at all though, as Karl proves. Adelman went to Minny to try to win with Love. Larry Brown finished up in New York and Charlotte. Dick Motta tried his hand here etc. Maybe that only works for old guys, but only a handful of guys can truly pick their shot. Cousins is a good block. I've noted several times that I think rondo is another block. And Vlade might help. Its still Sacramento, but there is a lot more to work with there than Brooklyn, let's say.

Could Vlade (an ex-Laker guy) really hire McHale (an ex-Celtics guy) to coach his basketball team?:rolleyes:

If Vlade can get over that fact, McHale is a very intriguing coaching candidate. :cool:

A little old (came out this morning), so I venture to guess this might've already been posted, but just in case.

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/720304448002609152

NBA coaching sources say Kevin McHale, Mark Jackson and Vinny Del Negro are among the names Sacramento is considering for its coaching job.

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/720345973721927682

Note about Kings coaching search: Sources say it will be lengthy and broad, with more names to come, but McHale/MJackson/Vinny D all on it

-----

I almost lean towards picking up the best assistant coach we can find. It worked out well for us last time with Malone.

With Thibs out, my next hope is McHale. I'm not sure if we can go the Assistant Coach route when the Front Office is in win-now mode. However, what might lure McHale is if we made him coach/GM with Vlade having the ultimate roster decision.

That's not always true at all though, as Karl proves. Adelman went to Minny to try to win with Love. Larry Brown finished up in New York and Charlotte. Dick Motta tried his hand here etc. Maybe that only works for old guys, but only a handful of guys can truly pick their shot. Cousins is a good block. I've noted several times that I think rondo is another block. And Vlade might help. Its still Sacramento, but there is a lot more to work with there than Brooklyn, let's say.
True. I may have been too black and white on the issue. I'd still prefer a fresh face. The middle tier of former head coaches do not excite me at all. Yes Cousins is a good block, but we have the history of our FO weighing us down as well. Maybe Vlade has a trick up his sleeve to pull a first rate established coach, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'd be cool with McHale. He got scapegoated because his star players turned on him. But you can't argue with the results; he got a lot out of those Houston rosters and completely adapted the to personal given to him. He also has a great track record in working with bigs in Houston; Jones, Howard, DMO, Capela and Smith were all productive players under him. Something to keep in mind when the two building blocks here are 7'0's.

I'd be cool with McHale. He got scapegoated because his star players turned on him. But you can't argue with the results; he got a lot out of those Houston rosters and completely adapted the to personal given to him. He also has a great track record in working with bigs in Houston; Jones, Howard, DMO, Capela and Smith were all productive players under him. Something to keep in mind when the two building blocks here are 7'0's.

I think a flawed identity failed him and the team with that layup/3 pointer only crap. I was surprised McHale was such a team guy about it because being a stickler for fundamentals and classic basketball it had to be eating him up inside playing that way.

This franchise would be so lucky to have McHale and McHale would be soooo lucky to have a player like Cuz to build his offense/defense around. Personality wise he's the coach Cuz wanted all year this year. He's a super player coach, he keeps the mood light, but he sticks up for his guys and you can tell he cares.

I dunno, Cousins seems to like honest people, people who he believes will support him too. Jackson doesn't seem to fit that for me. He reminds me more of a slick politician absorbing the talents of those around him, while throwing you under the bus if need be.
Cousins seems to be a very religion person....which would bode well with Jackson. Jackson is a preacher, and I think that's what Cousins needs. He needs someone who he can look up to. A coach that will tell Cuz to calm down. I remember Jackson once said that he's not subbing any of his players out right now for defense. They brought him back, and he's sticking with them all the way through. He's a players coach. All of the Warrior players loved Jackson. He would be a great coach for Cousins. For the Kings? Eh...

Cousins seems to be a very religion person....which would bode well with Jackson. Jackson is a preacher, and I think that's what Cousins needs. He needs someone who he can look up to. A coach that will tell Cuz to calm down. I remember Jackson once said that he's not subbing any of his players out right now for defense. They brought him back, and he's sticking with them all the way through. He's a players coach. All of the Warrior players loved Jackson. He would be a great coach for Cousins. For the Kings? Eh...
That's the exact reason I want Monty Williams to be this teams next head coach. He seems more honest and genuine than Mark Jackson and he has the X's and O's background that Jackson does not have.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
That's the exact reason I want Monty Williams to be this teams next head coach. He seems more honest and genuine than Mark Jackson and he has the X's and O's background that Jackson does not have.
Monty Williams? really? the same Monty that didn't know how to use Anthony Davis? There has to be some better options than him out there, no? go for a college coach.

McHale is the man for me. He will not play this team like the Warriors but will probably let lose Demarcus and WCS down low until teams start hiring bumper big guys just to bump these 2 out of the paint. When that happens, the NBA will be a big mans game again.

Rockets fans seem to still think McHale was not a good coach, saying he doesn't know how to run plays. Clearly just words from other armchair analysts, but I'd rather look elsewhere because we've had plenty of coaches that didn't know how to draw things up.

Rockets fans seem to still think McHale was not a good coach, saying he doesn't know how to run plays. Clearly just words from other armchair analysts, but I'd rather look elsewhere because we've had plenty of coaches that didn't know how to draw things up.
Here is a breakdown of the Rockets offense in 2011-2012. they hadn't aquired Harden yet, so their roster was more "old school" and therefore they ran more sets that I think would work with our personell as well

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Monty Williams? really? the same Monty that didn't know how to use Anthony Davis? There has to be some better options than him out there, no? go for a college coach.
I have no interest in Monty Williams, but I will note that this season has made a pretty good argument that Monty Williams had a helluva lot better idea of how to use A.D. than does Alvin Gentry.

He had a 30 plus PER season under him and played the Warriors competitively under his watch. He shouldn't have been fired. Made Tyreke Evans talents useful on a playoff team. He's a Popovich disciple, coached for Team USA and has been known to relate to young players. Every big name player in the league loves him and respects the hell out him. Better than any coach we've had around here in a long time.

K

KingMilz

Assuming Indiana bounce the Raptors out of the first round I say take a look at Dwyane Casey imo the Raptors rosters while he has been there post Rudy Gay have grossly overachieved in the regular season and are basically a team that does get bounced in the first round (people make a big deal out of them losing in the first round but they just are not that good imo). Also if memory serves me correct the Timberwolves had there best records with Casey coaching them (41-41 or close to it) the guy has milked a couple of decent teams and made them look spectacular during the regular season but never had playoff type killer players to go past the first round.

Aside from Derozan/Lowry those Toronto teams imo have had limited supporting cast talent at best.

He preaches defense and milks his best players in the half court, he has but taken heat also for not developing Big Val (they rarely throw the ball into him).