Start of College Basketball season:

Hield had a rough night, but it happens. I think he can be a special player. He still has some areas he needs to improve. Lets see what he does in the tourney.
Couple questions: Now that the Kings are likely going to be in the lottery, are there any prospects that you think would fit well with the team within the range they're drafting?

And are there teams you personally like/endorse watching this year in the tournament? Trying to do my due diligence of watching NCAA basketball this year.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Couple questions: Now that the Kings are likely going to be in the lottery, are there any prospects that you think would fit well with the team within the range they're drafting?

And are there teams you personally like/endorse watching this year in the tournament? Trying to do my due diligence of watching NCAA basketball this year.
Well, this has been one of the most unpredictable years in NCAA history. For most of the year no team could hold on to the top spot for more than one week. If your looking for teams on a roll, you'd have to go with Kansas, and they might have the horses to win the whole thing. No big stars on the Kansas team, but they play a lot of seniors and Juniors. In college, experience makes a huge difference. Louisville hardly ever recruits a top highschooler, but all their recruits stay for 3 or 4 years, and as a result they're always competitive.

Teams that should be favorites, but haven't played with consistency, are teams like Maryland, Cal, although Cal has played better of late, and I would consider them a dark horse team. Oregon has surprised everyone and probably earned themselves a number one seed. I just can't see them going all the way. Keep your eye on Tyler Dorsey on the Oregon team. Michigan St. is definitely a team that could win the whole thing, and Denzel Valentine is having a career year for them. Oklahoma is another solid team, but I don't think they have enough horses to get the job done once you get past Buddy Hield. North Carolina has played very well this season, and it's another team without any top players, but with mostly seniors and juniors.

With Purdue you never know what your going to get. So goes A.J. Hammons, so goes Purdue. Villanova and Vanderbilt are both dangerous teams. Anyway, give me some time to think about this and I'll get back to you tomorrow with which teams I think will make the final four, and which players the Kings should have a shot at, and which one's I like.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
MSU just got shafted...didn't get the #1 seed. I think they were a clear cut over Virgina...but what do I know?

Holy cow, the South is damn stacked...Kansas, Nova, Maryland, Miami, Cal, Uconn, and Arizona. How is Vandy getting a shot?
That mi amigo is one tough bracket. If Kansas comes out of this bracket, they've earned it.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I don't think you can really go wrong with Kentucky players. I mean they are all either all-stars or productive players, you can count more productive UK players than not so I would pick Murray between the two.
Murray has been better than advertised. Unfortunately, not many other Kentucky players have been. Murray and Ulis have been carrying the team. The other surprise has been Derek Willis coming off the bench for them.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Murray has been better than advertised. Unfortunately, not many other Kentucky players have been. Murray and Ulis have been carrying the team. The other surprise has been Derek Willis coming off the bench for them.
I see IT like potential in Ulis...even though he is more of a pass first PG, Ulis just understands the game and plays it the right way.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I see IT like potential in Ulis...even though he is more of a pass first PG, Ulis just understands the game and plays it the right way.
You know, I love Ulis. I curse his height, but he's a terrific little player, and your right, he's more of a pass first PG, which is rare in small PG's. I definitely think he has a place in the NBA, and I wouldn't mind him on the Kings, even though that's very unlikely.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
OK, the Kings are likely to be looking at SG's in the draft, unless they have a deal in the works to acquire one through a trade. So here is a list of those I would be interested in with just a short analysis. And I have them listed in my order of interest.

1. Buddy Hield: 6'4.5", 214 lbs, 6'8.5" wingspan, Oklahoma, Senior.
35 mpg - 25.0 ppg - 49.6% fgp - 46.4% 3pp - 5.6 rpg - 2.1 apg - 1.2 spg
Hield is arguably the best shooter in college. He's was solid his first three years, but this year he took it up a notch. He can score from anywhere on the floor. He's a solid ball handler which enables him to get to the basket where he's a good finisher. He's an excellent spot up shooter, and equally good coming off screens. He can create for himself, and for others. As a defender he has good lateral quickness and fights through screens well. He's a good, but not a great athlete, but can play above the rim. He's an excellent rebounder for a SG. I think he'll be an very solid NBA player. Whether he'll be more than that is anyone's guess, but the potential is there.

2. Jamal Murray: 6'5", 185 lbs. 6'7" wingspan, Kentucky, Freshman.
35.2 mpg - 20.1 ppg - 45.6% fgp - 42.1% 3pp - 5.1 rpg - 2.1 apg - 1.0 spg
For starters, Murray is a very smart player. He simply knows how to play the game. Like Hield, he's a very good rebounder for the position. Murray is a converted PG, a position he played in highschool, but with two PG's already on the Kentucky roster, he was switched to SG. A switch that's a success. Like Hield, he's one of the best shooters in college and is capable of hitting some ridiculous shots at times. He's great coming off of screens or off the dribble. Although not an above average athlete, he seems to be able to weave his way to the basket any time he wants. Basically he and Tyler Ulis have carried the team on their backs this season. For me, it's a toss up between Hield and Murray as to who I would take first. Murray is an excellent passer, and a remarkably good defender. At least at the college level.

Denzel Valentine: 6'6", 220 lbs, 6'10" wingspan, Michigan St., Senior
32.8 mpg - 19.4 ppg - 46.4% fgp - 44.7% 3pp - 7.6 rpg - 7.6 apg - 1.0 spg
Valentine had an incredible year and would probably be higher on the draft boards if he was a freshman. With Valentine your getting a PG in a SG's body. He's a terrific passer with great court vision, and Michigan St. wouldn't be where they are right now without him. Along with his PG skills, he's also a very good shooter from the three, and excellent at getting into the lane where he can create havoc. Once in traffic, he's one of the most creative players out there, capable of throwing up a floater, a hookshot, a fall away jumper, or a dish to a teammate. Because of his ability to score around the basket, he gets a lot of easy baskets for his teammates. He's also a terrific rebounder averaging 7.6 boards a game. The major question facing Valentine is can he defend SG's in the NBA? He's not blessed with great lateral quickness.

Grayson Allen: 6'4.5", 195 lbs, 6'6.5" wingspan, Duke, Sophmore.
36.3 mpg - 21.6 ppg - 46.7% fgp - 41.7% 3pp - 4.5 rpg - 3.6 apg - 1.4 spg
Allen's stats look good, and there's no doubt he can shoot the ball, but I have serious doubts about his ability to create a shot on his own. In two games this past season, when confronted by a good aggressive defender, he struggled big time. In his game against Kentucky in particular, he was clearly frustrated as he was smothered by the Kentucky guards. My fear is that he'll be confronting that every night in the NBA. I hate to make comparisons, but Jimmer Fredette keeps leaping up in my mind. For his sake, I hope I'm wrong. That aside, he's a decent defender, and a very good passer. His ball handling is average at best, which is why he struggles to create his own shot.

Caris LeVert: 6'6", 200 lbs, Michigan, Senior
31.1 mpg - 16.5 ppg - 50.0% fgp - 44.9% 3pp - 5.4 rpg - 4.9 apg - 1.0 spg
LeVert would be much higher on my list if he wern't a senior, and if he hadn't been injured not only this season, but last season as well. He's had both foot and leg problems, missing the last 15 games this season. Hopefully he'll be recovered in time for the combine and individual workouts.LeVert is another SG that's a converted PG, a position he played his first season at Michigan. It's a shame he got injured this season because it was his best season by far. He has all the tools you look for in a SG. Good shooter, good passer, good handles, great court vision, good rebounder and excellent defender. I'm sure that if teams felt confident about his health, he'd be a top ten pick. Right now, I see him going in the bottom of the first round, and it wouldn't shock me to see him slide into the second round, where he'd be a steal.

These are my favorites but there are some others who could turn out to be better down the road. Like Tyler Dorsey of Oregon, Rodney Purvis of UCONN, Wayne Selden of Kansas, Jabari Bird of Cal, Ron Baker of Wichita St., Allonzo Trier of Arizona, Danuel House of Texas A&M, and finally, another of my favorites, Malcom Brogdon of Virginia.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
For those interested, here are my final four picks. Please, don't bet any money on my choices. This is a tough year to pick out winners. None the less, my final four are.

Oregon
Michigan St.
Villanova
Kentucky

I can think of either other teams that could be there instead. Just going on my gut, and how these teams had been playing prior to the tourney.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
My Final Four is:
Michigan state
Oregon
Kentucky
Villanova

I have Michigan state beating Oregon in the Championship game.
Well amazingly we have the same final four, and I have Michigan St. winning the whole thing as well. Great minds think alike!
I think Oregon has the easiest path to the final four and they're peaking at the right time. Kentucky is also peaking, but I just don't think they have enough horses.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Well amazingly we have the same final four, and I have Michigan St. winning the whole thing as well. Great minds think alike!
I think Oregon has the easiest path to the final four and they're peaking at the right time. Kentucky is also peaking, but I just don't think they have enough horses.
I can hardly believe you two think alike.

OK, the Kings are likely to be looking at SG's in the draft, unless they have a deal in the works to acquire one through a trade. So here is a list of those I would be interested in with just a short analysis. And I have them listed in my order of interest.

1. Buddy Hield: 6'4.5", 214 lbs, 6'8.5" wingspan, Oklahoma, Senior.
35 mpg - 25.0 ppg - 49.6% fgp - 46.4% 3pp - 5.6 rpg - 2.1 apg - 1.2 spg
Hield is arguably the best shooter in college. He's was solid his first three years, but this year he took it up a notch. He can score from anywhere on the floor. He's a solid ball handler which enables him to get to the basket where he's a good finisher. He's an excellent spot up shooter, and equally good coming off screens. He can create for himself, and for others. As a defender he has good lateral quickness and fights through screens well. He's a good, but not a great athlete, but can play above the rim. He's an excellent rebounder for a SG. I think he'll be an very solid NBA player. Whether he'll be more than that is anyone's guess, but the potential is there.

2. Jamal Murray: 6'5", 185 lbs. 6'7" wingspan, Kentucky, Freshman.
35.2 mpg - 20.1 ppg - 45.6% fgp - 42.1% 3pp - 5.1 rpg - 2.1 apg - 1.0 spg
For starters, Murray is a very smart player. He simply knows how to play the game. Like Hield, he's a very good rebounder for the position. Murray is a converted PG, a position he played in highschool, but with two PG's already on the Kentucky roster, he was switched to SG. A switch that's a success. Like Hield, he's one of the best shooters in college and is capable of hitting some ridiculous shots at times. He's great coming off of screens or off the dribble. Although not an above average athlete, he seems to be able to weave his way to the basket any time he wants. Basically he and Tyler Ulis have carried the team on their backs this season. For me, it's a toss up between Hield and Murray as to who I would take first. Murray is an excellent passer, and a remarkably good defender. At least at the college level.

Denzel Valentine: 6'6", 220 lbs, 6'10" wingspan, Michigan St., Senior
32.8 mpg - 19.4 ppg - 46.4% fgp - 44.7% 3pp - 7.6 rpg - 7.6 apg - 1.0 spg
Valentine had an incredible year and would probably be higher on the draft boards if he was a freshman. With Valentine your getting a PG in a SG's body. He's a terrific passer with great court vision, and Michigan St. wouldn't be where they are right now without him. Along with his PG skills, he's also a very good shooter from the three, and excellent at getting into the lane where he can create havoc. Once in traffic, he's one of the most creative players out there, capable of throwing up a floater, a hookshot, a fall away jumper, or a dish to a teammate. Because of his ability to score around the basket, he gets a lot of easy baskets for his teammates. He's also a terrific rebounder averaging 7.6 boards a game. The major question facing Valentine is can he defend SG's in the NBA? He's not blessed with great lateral quickness.

Grayson Allen: 6'4.5", 195 lbs, 6'6.5" wingspan, Duke, Sophmore.
36.3 mpg - 21.6 ppg - 46.7% fgp - 41.7% 3pp - 4.5 rpg - 3.6 apg - 1.4 spg
Allen's stats look good, and there's no doubt he can shoot the ball, but I have serious doubts about his ability to create a shot on his own. In two games this past season, when confronted by a good aggressive defender, he struggled big time. In his game against Kentucky in particular, he was clearly frustrated as he was smothered by the Kentucky guards. My fear is that he'll be confronting that every night in the NBA. I hate to make comparisons, but Jimmer Fredette keeps leaping up in my mind. For his sake, I hope I'm wrong. That aside, he's a decent defender, and a very good passer. His ball handling is average at best, which is why he struggles to create his own shot.

Caris LeVert: 6'6", 200 lbs, Michigan, Senior
31.1 mpg - 16.5 ppg - 50.0% fgp - 44.9% 3pp - 5.4 rpg - 4.9 apg - 1.0 spg
LeVert would be much higher on my list if he wern't a senior, and if he hadn't been injured not only this season, but last season as well. He's had both foot and leg problems, missing the last 15 games this season. Hopefully he'll be recovered in time for the combine and individual workouts.LeVert is another SG that's a converted PG, a position he played his first season at Michigan. It's a shame he got injured this season because it was his best season by far. He has all the tools you look for in a SG. Good shooter, good passer, good handles, great court vision, good rebounder and excellent defender. I'm sure that if teams felt confident about his health, he'd be a top ten pick. Right now, I see him going in the bottom of the first round, and it wouldn't shock me to see him slide into the second round, where he'd be a steal.

These are my favorites but there are some others who could turn out to be better down the road. Like Tyler Dorsey of Oregon, Rodney Purvis of UCONN, Wayne Selden of Kansas, Jabari Bird of Cal, Ron Baker of Wichita St., Allonzo Trier of Arizona, Danuel House of Texas A&M, and finally, another of my favorites, Malcom Brogdon of Virginia.
You know, you really should start your own NCAA/draft website. Back on topic, I know you think Hield and Murray are a toss up, but come draft day and both are on the board, would you take Murray because he's younger? Or Hield because his age benefits him?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
You know, you really should start your own NCAA/draft website. Back on topic, I know you think Hield and Murray are a toss up, but come draft day and both are on the board, would you take Murray because he's younger? Or Hield because his age benefits him?
That mi amigo is a tough choice, but a good one to have. An argument one could make for Murray that he's younger, and that if you compare his freshman year to Hields, he is the better player at that point in time. Both are terrific shooters, and both handle the ball very well. Both players have played some PG along the way. However, Hield has done in his four years what a player is supposed to do. He's made dramatic improvements every year in college. He went from being an average ball handler, to a very good ball handler. He improved his ability to finish at the basket. He improved at one of my pet peeves, shot selection.

Hield is the better athlete of the two, and is now, and probably will be in the future, the better defender. Murray is a willing defender, but is limited by his physical abilities. Hield has a bigger wingspan, and better lateral quickness. Both players play with extreme confidence, and both come across as the leaders of their respective teams. There is no doubt that Hield is the glue guy on the Oklahoma team. He's always smiling and seems to really enjoy playing the game. So my choice is Hield. Now if Kris Dunn slides down into the picture, then all bets are off.

Came here to say....Purdue is pathetic!! You have AJ Hammons and you decide he's not good enough to get the ball!

If you have a roster of 10 Ben McLemores and 1 DeMarcus Cousins, why would you not give it to Cousins?

Thanks for a broken bracket! (Picked Yale)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Came here to say....Purdue is pathetic!! You have AJ Hammons and you decide he's not good enough to get the ball!
That was just plain inexplicable. Purdue clenched up for the final 5+ minutes and both overtimes and Hammons touched the ball in the post, what, once?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
That was just plain inexplicable. Purdue clenched up for the final 5+ minutes and both overtimes and Hammons touched the ball in the post, what, once?
Yeah, pretty pathetic. But hey, Purdue has been doing this all year long. They don't have a decent PG on their roster. How hard can it be to get the ball into the post. Hey Capt. your UCLA team has a hell of a recruiting class next year. About time!

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Hey Capt. your UCLA team has a hell of a recruiting class next year. About time!
None too soon! We'll need these freshmen to produce some serious results, so hopefully they can. But yeah, Ball and Leaf makes a heck of a class on its own, and it looks like Anigbogu might be able to contribute on the defensive side as well - we sure need help on interior D, that's for sure. Paras looks like a long play, the kind of athletic kid that can play a good role as an upperclassman but not likely to play much if at all next year.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Great game by Buddy Hield yesterday. Stop it! We need you and if you keep this up, you'll move out of reach. The more I watch this kid the more I think he could be a star at the next level. But then, I'm desperate, so take that with a grain of salt.

Danuel House of Texas A&M,
I was with you until you mentioned House. He is the epitome of a scorer and not an efficient shooter. I've seen him play 3 times and he has relatively high scoring games but they are almost Kobe-like lines of 7-20 or 5-19. With a guy like Davis down low he constantly is chucking. He has the opposite mindset of a 2-guard the Kings need. I agree with everything else you said. Now maybe his chucking is a product of Coach Kennedy but we'll see.

Cal was missing Wallace, but I'm starting to question Brown's bball iq. I've been hesitant to call him out on his bball iq, but if you go 1-6 7tos 5fls in 17mins, then I'd have to. It's a number or factors, but his decision making has been so poor this year. Sometimes he does have the right intentions, but his lack of handling limits him. Other times, it's like wtf are you doing Jaylen??

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Cal was missing Wallace, but I'm starting to question Brown's bball iq. I've been hesitant to call him out on his bball iq, but if you go 1-6 7tos 5fls in 17mins, then I'd have to. It's a number or factors, but his decision making has been so poor this year. Sometimes he does have the right intentions, but his lack of handling limits him. Other times, it's like wtf are you doing Jaylen??
I've been in agreement with this assessment basically all season. I don't think he has remotely shown the poise to be worth a top-5 pick.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I was with you until you mentioned House. He is the epitome of a scorer and not an efficient shooter. I've seen him play 3 times and he has relatively high scoring games but they are almost Kobe-like lines of 7-20 or 5-19. With a guy like Davis down low he constantly is chucking. He has the opposite mindset of a 2-guard the Kings need. I agree with everything else you said. Now maybe his chucking is a product of Coach Kennedy but we'll see.
Well, I didn't have House as one of my top five, but as a SG that has to be noted. I was trying to be fair. I think I had him listed as someone that could turnout to be better down the road. And I think that's a fair appraisal of him. As well as some others listed.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I've been in agreement with this assessment basically all season. I don't think he has remotely shown the poise to be worth a top-5 pick.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see Brown slide. He was downright terrible in the game. He couldn't have picked a worse time to have what is probably the worse game of his college career. I can understand a team taking a gamble on him, but I certainly hope it's not us.

It seems like he reaffirmed what some of us thought for a while. I gave him the benefit of the doubt A LOT in the beginning of the year.

For ex: Settles for terrible mid range Js.....paint might be a little crowded from all the non-shooters. Commits a questionable turnover...inexperienced, but he had the right idea. Turns the ball over while driving because he inadvertently loses his handles ... just good defensive pressure. Forced a shot when 2-3 defenders started closing in when he should've kicked it out...not everyone has gifted vision at 19. Tries to make a pass that has 0.000% chance of making it...just trying to prove too much to NBA scouts that he has that ability.

I'm starting to think that some of the problem I listed above are the results of: 1) Lack of bball iq... 2)Lack of feel for the game.
That's a dangerous dice you're rolling....
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see Brown slide. He was downright terrible in the game. He couldn't have picked a worse time to have what is probably the worse game of his college career. I can understand a team taking a gamble on him, but I certainly hope it's not us.
He has so much potential. I think he'll need a team that has great developmental coaches. If the Kings draft him, I'm willing to bet a gazillion bitcoins that he's not going to reach his potential.

His floor is really nice though. Above average defender because of his size and athleticism. Every night he'll give you effort+defense with erratic offense. I'm fine with that. I just don't think his lack? of bball IQ is something we can overlook. For that reason, I think we should pass on him.. even if he turns out to be the next Khawi or the next Jimmy Butler. I highly doubt he'd develop that way behind the Kings organization.

He may not make it to the second round.
I could see a playoff team taking him. He's IT, but more of a playmaker. I think in the NBA, he'll have to be a more aggressive scorer in order to succeed. Well worth a 2nd rounder though. Him and Murray single-handily carried UK's season this year. Sucks they fell short.

Wow, Ulis is a pretty great talent. He's well worth a 2nd rounder it seems?
I'd suggest you guys check out Kay Felder

bajaden

Hall of Famer
It seems like he reaffirmed what some of us thought for a while. I gave him the benefit of the doubt A LOT in the beginning of the year.

For ex: Settles for terrible mid range Js.....paint might be a little crowded from all the non-shooters. Commits a questionable turnover...inexperienced, but he had the right idea. Turns the ball over while driving because he inadvertently loses his handles ... just good defensive pressure. Forced a shot when 2-3 defenders started closing in when he should've kicked it out...not everyone has gifted vision at 19. Tries to make a pass that has 0.000% chance of making it...just trying to prove too much to NBA scouts that he has that ability.

I'm starting to think that some of the problem I listed above are the results of: 1) Lack of bball iq... 2)Lack of feel for the game.
That's a dangerous dice you're rolling....

He has so much potential. I think he'll need a team that has great developmental coaches. If the Kings draft him, I'm willing to bet a gazillion bitcoins that he's not going to reach his potential.

His floor is really nice though. Above average defender because of his size and athleticism. Every night he'll give you effort+defense with erratic offense. I'm fine with that. I just don't think his lack? of bball IQ is something we can overlook. For that reason, I think we should pass on him.. even if he turns out to be the next Khawi or the next Jimmy Butler. I highly doubt he'd develop that way behind the Kings organization.
Well I don't think we should use his last game as a measuring stick. He had no help in the way of shooters in that game, and right now he doesn't have the experience or the skills to carry a team anywhere. But your right, his floor is pretty high and no one knows for sure what his ceiling is. He's one of those guys that might slide, and three years later, everyone that passed on him is kicking themselves. One thing is for sure. He's going to be a project for some time, so if you draft him, you do so knowing your not expecting immediate help from him.