George Karl's Wild Ride

• Thread starter SacramentoKings
  • Start date
K

KingMilz

Well that escalated quickly.

2. Rudy Gay is not a Power Forward, please don't do that every again. Karl needs to forfeit his salary for that Memphis game for asking him to guard Zach Randolph.

3. Rondo has lost a step. I know it's sad but he needs to come off the bench and Collison needs to start. Rondo just can't stay in front of his man well enough to start.
I don't think playing Rudy Gay @ the 4 is the problem it's Rudy's complete lack of competitiveness/desire and the fact he doesn't like playing defense (which he's capable of doing), also if what your saying about Rondo is true we should have just kept Andre Miller as the back up PG at 1/10th of the cost.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Me thinks you should read the conversation again before you decide to reply...

Opinions are evidence when I am trying to prove what the majority of this forum thinks about our talent vs the Nuggets' talent.
I read it. You're making an assumption based solely on what you say is the majority opinion of this forum. If you really want to know what the majority thinks, start a poll. Otherwise, you're just assuming that those who have chosen to voice their opinion represent the majority. (I'm not saying they don't in this instance; I'm just saying it's a common mistake to jump to a conclusion based on opinion rather than evidence).

I read it. You're making an assumption based solely on what you say is the majority opinion of this forum. If you really want to know what the majority thinks, start a poll. Otherwise, you're just assuming that those who have chosen to voice their opinion represent the majority. (I'm not saying they don't in this instance; I'm just saying it's a common mistake to jump to a conclusion based on opinion rather than evidence).
But that's the thing. I never labeled it as a conclusion. I clearly said it was an assumption based off the posts that are scattered throughout the threads.

No where did I say "the majority believes that the Kings are more talented." I said "I think the majority believes that the Kings are more talented" which was taken from reading countless posts in the Kings Rap forum.

Again, my assumption about the majority of KingsFans opinions is derived from the opinions that they have shared. I wouldn't call that a mistake. I would call it logical and taking the safer bet versus me thinking that the majority of KingsFans think that the Nuggets are more talented without reading one post that backs that claim up.

I have no problem saying that "I think the majority of us believe ____" after reading many posts that confirm that claim and none that discredit it.

There is such a thing as taking a sample from a population and trusting that the sample is representative of that population. Not everything has to be a census (in fact, many would argue that our very own census is a lot less accurate versus if we were to do a sample). The only thing we would need to worry about is the amount of people who have commented that the 7th/8th seed playoff contenders include the Kings and do not include the Nuggets (sample size) and the psychographic characteristic of people who simply read and do not post on KingsFans.com (weighting our sample so that it represents our population).

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I don't think playing Rudy Gay @ the 4 is the problem it's Rudy's complete lack of competitiveness/desire and the fact he doesn't like playing defense (which he's capable of doing), also if what your saying about Rondo is true we should have just kept Andre Miller as the back up PG at 1/10th of the cost.
You really don't think so? The way it looks to me at least is Rudy is not playing with the so called "desire" and competitiveness because he is being played out of position and he doesn't like it. Therefore the longer this goes on, the more you get to see this ineffective Rudy just going through the motions.

Part of the problem is that Rudy's advantage at the 3 is in large part due to his size and length. That gets negated at the 4

K

KingMilz

Part of the problem is that Rudy's advantage at the 3 is in large part due to his size and length. That gets negated at the 4
You could be right but I don't think his struggles the last two games are cause he played the 4, it's cause that's who Rudy Gay is a guy that sometimes competes and sometimes does not. Rudy is not like the other top notch SF's which show up every night I never see Paul Geroge''s effort waiver regardless of him not liking playing PF.

Part of the Kings biggest problem the last decade is we don't have enough hunger player that go out and compete in particular when things take a turn for the worst it's just a quit feast. If we plan on keeping this core (which part of me hopes not) we need a stretch 4 you can't play 2 bigs with limited range and Rondo.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
You could be right but I don't think his struggles the last two games are cause he played the 4, it's cause that's who Rudy Gay is a guy that sometimes competes and sometimes does not. Rudy is not like the other top notch SF's which show up every night I never see Paul Geroge''s effort waiver regardless of him not liking playing PF.

Part of the Kings biggest problem the last decade is we don't have enough hunger player that go out and compete in particular when things take a turn for the worst it's just a quit feast. If we plan on keeping this core (which part of me hopes not) we need a stretch 4 you can't play 2 bigs with limited range and Rondo.
What we really need is to have the coach change his schemes to his players strength and stop with this pace basketball that does not suit this team despite trying to beat it like a drum. Either that or he needs to get out of town. Stretch four? Nahh the team needs a two guard that produces and maybe two more shooters to spread the floor.

I doubt I'm adding anything new here, but you can't win games giving up 110+ every night.

It's also horse ** that they are asking people to watch.

In America is there not also football, baseball, hockey and soccer? Plus the arts, sometimes good TV, consumerism, social media and whatever else? It is a privilege to have fans. It's also a privilege to have a city build a new stadium. Maybe treat your fans with respect and play some defence???

We really need to stop this conveyor belt culture.
Yeah we do and the fact that we have one is the only reason Karl is still here and will be for some time and that in itself is a fallacy.

He is not the right fit as coach for this team simply put and more and more fans are realizing it.

J

jdbraver

Other than the Suns, which was on the road...which team are you surprised we lost too? Which were we more talented than? Let's see how we fare against teams in our realm of talent b4 we call for the Coaches head. Also adding 9 new players doesn't help. Maybe we should fire Vlade b/c the players he put together has not jelled.

its not Vlade's job to get the most out of the squad which he assembled in consultation with Karl in any case.

You'd expect one of the most winningest coaches in the league to do better with the roster we have. We have depth and options with or without demarcus but he is obsessed with going small and pushing the tempo when its clear our squad isnt cut out for that.

At the 3 Rudy can use his size/length advantage to simply rise over smaller/less lengthy defenders in isolation and drain jumpers. It also opens up his 3 point game. At the 4 his advantage tends to wither away as does his effectiveness.

It's a big waste of talent playing Rudy out of position. He was part of a very solid starting unit just last year.

Last edited:
J

jdbraver

its not Vlade's job to get the most out of the squad which he assembled in consultation with Karl in any case.

You'd expect one of the most winningest coaches in the league to do better with the roster we have. We have depth and options with or without demarcus but he is obsessed with going small and pushing the tempo when its clear our squad isnt cut out for that.
Sorry but Vlade is Karl's boss the buck stops w him and Vivek. and other than the Suns you expect a coach with 9 new players to beat Elite teams? Really? He is a good coach not a miracle worker.

Part of the reason why Karl is running small ball is because of our lack of a stretch 4, which I think we need as well. My requirement is that there can only be two players MAX that cannot shoot from mid-range or three on the floor at once. It seems that Karl is running with the philosophy of ONE player MAX at once, which is understandable but does not fit our personnel. We sacrifice defense for the sake of that philosophy.

A stretch 4 type big would solve our problems, no doubt. If Moreland or WCS can show some competency at mid-range, we might see some Koufos/WCS action, but then again, Karl won't allow as of right now. I'd prefer it if this talent would emerge from our current players, rather than have to sacrifice something to get a stretch 4.

One thing is sf or pf. Gay has to get going there's no excuse for this autopilot play he's been having lately, cmon now letting harden bully you for a board? No sense of defense? Paul George states he doesn't like the 4 but guess what? He's still playing hard, Chris bosh playing the 5 for Miami? Guess what he still competed.

The problem is that Karl keeps trying to match up to the other team strenghts, instead of playing players in their comfortable position and make the opponent adjust to our size and strengths.

For example, instead of going big against Phoenix, he tried a two PG system instead of using our size with either Belilini or Anderson starting.

Against Houston, with Howard out, we could have used our size advantage with WCS at PF and Koufos at Center. But he tried to adjust to the opponent and started Gay at PF.

Enough with trying to match up with the opponents strengths. Their strengths will always be better than our makeshift line up to match up to them.

We need to keep our players in the optimal positions and forget this positionless basketball crap.

Another thing is that we suck at the end of every quarter, like we just quit playing the last two minutes. We can have cut the deficit down to 4 points with 2 minutes and by the end of the quarter we are down 10 or more!!! That just kills us all the time!

P.S. How about starting Seth Curry at SG, he seems to be the only SG that can shoot right now!!!

Sorry but Vlade is Karl's boss the buck stops w him and Vivek. and other than the Suns you expect a coach with 9 new players to beat Elite teams? Really? He is a good coach not a miracle worker.
I'll say it again. I expect Karl to play a style that fits better with the personnel we have at hand something I feel he isn't doing well at all with or without Demarcus. This small ball tempo pace thing is not what we are built for, nor is it pushing us to play at both ends, nor is it enabling us to leverage the strengths of our players. Square peg in a round hole, but hey just keep battering away.

Idk. It seems like George Karl was more vocal and animated than I've seen him all year in tonight's game, from my vantage point. Makes me wonder if he's sensing that he might be on the hot seat pretty damn soon. Hence, the extra effort.

J

jdbraver

I'll say it again. I expect Karl to play a style that fits better with the personnel we have at hand something I feel he isn't doing well at all with or without Demarcus. This small ball tempo pace thing is not what we are built for, nor is it pushing us to play at both ends, nor is it enabling us to leverage the strengths of our players. Square peg in a round hole, but hey just keep battering away.
What are we built for. Grind it out slow pace...well that would rely on a solid defensive core. And idk if you have noticed but we don't have that w these players. Perhaps its the fact that small markets just have to grab talent whether or not they fit.

J

jdbraver

Idk. It seems like George Karl was more vocal and animated than I've seen him all year in tonight's game, from my vantage point. Makes me wonder if he's sensing that he might be on the hot seat pretty damn soon. Hence, the extra effort.
Doubt it he has millions owed with a longer contract I'm sure Vivek doesn't want to pay for.

You really don't think so? The way it looks to me at least is Rudy is not playing with the so called "desire" and competitiveness because he is being played out of position and he doesn't like it. Therefore the longer this goes on, the more you get to see this ineffective Rudy just going through the motions.
Rudy is not, never has been, never will be a power forward. He is a terrific sf. Play him there. Playing players where they don't belong hurts two positions. Where he is playing and where he should have been playing.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Rudy is not, never has been, never will be a power forward. He is a terrific sf. Play him there. Playing players where they don't belong hurts two positions. Where he is playing and where he should have been playing.
I wonder how many games it will take for George Karl to realize this. Second half I saw a lot more post ups by Rudy...he missed some shots he usually makes but I will live with that as long as he is shooting in the painted area.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
One thing is sf or pf. Gay has to get going there's no excuse for this autopilot play he's been having lately, cmon now letting harden bully you for a board? No sense of defense? Paul George states he doesn't like the 4 but guess what? He's still playing hard, Chris bosh playing the 5 for Miami? Guess what he still competed.
Yeah the Geroge playing PF thing...not so much. Bird can get as senile as he wants, but the coaching staff sort of quietly pulled the plug on that as a nightly event, and Jordan Hill and Ian Mahini have been starting together in a twin towers set depending on opponent, with George back down at SF.