George Karl's Wild Ride

• Thread starter SacramentoKings
  • Start date

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Don't know if this has come up yet, I haven't seen it, but apparently we only owe George Karl $6.5 million after this season.
Here's a report regarding the terms of the contract from last February:

$11 million of $14.5 million Guaranteed

We already paid for the end of last year and this year.
So remaining on the deal is $5 million for next season and a $1.5 million buyout for the season after that.
I know there was a buyout for Mike Malone's fourth season as well (that would be next season) but I don't know what it was.

In any case, we may owe as much as $7.5 million to clear out the last of our dismissed former coach contracts.
That's bad, but it's not terrible. I wouldn't think it would prevent us from targeting an expensive head coach again--
considering that's basically the equivalent of a one year mid-level exception deal at this point.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Just once, well technically Malone was too, but just once I'd like to see Sac hire a proven coach who stresses defense. Thibs is THE guy to get. That would be a big time hire and reignite the playoff chase.

Don't know if this has come up yet, I haven't seen it, but apparently we only owe George Karl $6.5 million after this season.
Here's a report regarding the terms of the contract from last February:

$11 million of $14.5 million Guaranteed

We already paid for the end of last year and this year.
So remaining on the deal is $5 million for next season and a $1.5 million buyout for the season after that.
I know there was a buyout for Mike Malone's fourth season as well (that would be next season) but I don't know what it was.

In any case, we may owe as much as $7.5 million to clear out the last of our dismissed former coach contracts.
That's bad, but it's not terrible. I wouldn't think it would prevent us from targeting an expensive head coach again--
considering that's basically the equivalent of a one year mid-level exception deal at this point.
The contract buyout is nothing. NBA just signed a new TV deal and Kings have a new deal with Comcast. Karl should be fired right now. Money shouldn't be a factor.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
The contract buyout is nothing. NBA just signed a new TV deal and Kings have a new deal with Comcast. Karl should be fired right now. Money shouldn't be a factor.
One thing I have noticed about Ranadive is that money is NOT a factor. Not sure how the other partners feel about that. :)

gunks

Hall of Famer
One thing I have noticed about Ranadive is that money is NOT a factor. Not sure how the other partners feel about that. :)
The dude spends, I'll give him that. It's funny, he has both the traits of an amazing owner and a horrible one.

Willing to spend? Check.
Passion for the team? Check.

Horribly meddlesome, to the point where he is making draft picks, picking coaches, and texting coaching advice to the head coach during games? Check.

Now, hopefully Vivek is getting better about that last one. Because if he can control his "This team is MY toy" impulses, he'd be a hell of an owner.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
The dude spends, I'll give him that. It's funny, he has both the traits of an amazing owner and a horrible one.

Willing to spend? Check.
Passion for the team? Check.

Horribly meddlesome, to the point where he is making draft picks, picking coaches, and texting coaching advice to the head coach during games? Check.

Now, hopefully Vivek is getting better about that last one. Because if he can control his "This team is MY toy" impulses, he'd be a hell of an owner.
I'm hoping those were rookie mistakes (every new owner makes them) and we're going to benefit from his passion for the team in the future now that's become humbled a bit. A lot of that stuff he talked about last year has quieted down this year after he saw his decisions backfire badly. And he talked a lot last year. (look what I did with my daughter's middle school team, NBA 3.0, why hasn't anyone else tried crowd-sourcing personnel decisions, we need to make the game more appealing for a global audience, 4-on-5 defense, we all want to draft this guy am I right, we need a jazz conductor on the sidelines) So it's pretty obvious a change has been made in at least one area -- the frequency with which he's willing to publicly put his foot in his mouth.

Looking at it all in retrospect, I think he genuinely expected to reinvent the NBA overnight. As a smart, successful, self-made businessman at least you could say his hubris was coming from some place genuine. And now that he's seen how the NBA works up close, how everything you say is a social media storm waiting to happen, and he's gotten some different perspectives outside of his close circle of trusted experts (the folks he brought with him from Golden State) -- I personally feel like he's learned some important lessons and he'll allow Vlade and his team to run the basketball operations their own way with minimal input from him.

That is absolutely painful./

Fine. Trade him. JUST ****ING DO IT ALREADY. Let's not waste another hall of fame career. I just cannot stand it any longer.

FREE BOOGIE!

This article brings up the true boogeyman of this season:
The lie that all the defensive problems with this team are because of "lack of effort".

That lie is starting to metastasize, and takeover the narrative about the team.

The effort on defense is SECONDARY.
The primary problem is the SCHEME.
Until the scheme changes, the effort isn't nearly as important.

But you are seeing the hyper-focus on players EFFORT and the fanbase is shying away from keeping Karl's (and the FO's) feet to the fire to CHANGE THE DEFENSIVE SCHEME.

Why is it that every time someone dare questions Karl, you start reminding me of
Who knows? I question what I feel are unreasonable, biased questioning of Karl. You won't hear me giving any opposition in the Karl's defensive schemes suck-thread. Or that defense isn't a focus of Karl's. I question something like expecting the team's entire defense to change overnight just because a telephone conversation took place.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Who knows? I question what I feel are unreasonable, biased questioning of Karl. You won't hear me giving any opposition in the Karl's defensive schemes suck-thread. Or that defense isn't a focus of Karl's. I question something like expecting the team's entire defense to change overnight just because a telephone conversation took place.
I don't think there is any way Karl will be able to change the defense. It takes time and there are limited practices. It's too bad.