Kings and free agency - part 4

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
grant seemed to think moreland might not make the team if you waive stockton get Bonner and Miller you have 15 contracts. Is moreland and anderson both guarrenteed contracts or do they need to get though pre season first?
With the last CBA teams can have 15 players on their roster with two designated as inactive each night.

My guess is that most nights (barring injury) Anderson and Moreland would be inactive.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Technically there would be 14 under contract.

Koufos, Cauley-Stein
Cousins, Mbah a Moute, Moreland
Gay, Casspi, Butler
McLemore, Bellinelli, Anderson
Rondo, Collison, Stockton

but David Stockton's contract is not guaranteed and he would likely be waived if a veteran 3rd PG (Miller etc) were signed.
We've already given his number away so ...

Gone are the days when maybe a Kings' fan would be contented to have a starting lineup of Rondo, Belinelli, Butler, Luc, and Koufos.
Oh wait!!!!! that's like our bench now! And we still have our core last year of DC, Ben, Rudy, Casspi, and DMC.
And what???? We still got 2 young shot blockers in Moreland and Stein?
And what???? We got a possible gem who just scored 36 pts in one his NBA games named James Anderson?

What's happening to these Kings's team? Thank you Vlade.

On the marketing side, I think Vivek is a winner as well. We just nabbed the best players from a few countries Luc(Cameroon), Casspi(Israel), Marco (Italy), Kosta (Greece), Vlade (Serbia) LOL!!!
That means bigger fan base and ka-chings!!!

So it's :

C - DMC/Koufos
PF - WCS/Luc/Moreland
SF - Gay/Casspi/Butler
SG - Marco/Ben/Anderson
PG - Rondo/DC/Stockton

Though I know Vivek has not shaved yet. But I'm totally fine with this roster to open up the season. Keep 1 spot free for any jumpers come mid season.
Stockton may be disposable. But I see a good value on the kid.
I don't mind him not getting minutes at all this season to really keep Rondo and DC a lot of good runs.
But just keep little Stockton in roster. His pops should drop by in a lot of practices and seeing hall of fame PG in practice might just be what the doctor need for Rondo to keep his goal to HOF in check.

J

jdbraver

So it's :

C - DMC/Koufos
PF - WCS/Luc/Moreland
SF - Gay/Casspi/Butler
SG - Marco/Ben/Anderson
PG - Rondo/DC/Stockton

Though I know Vivek has not shaved yet. But I'm totally fine with this roster to open up the season. Keep 1 spot free for any jumpers come mid season.
Stockton may be disposable. But I see a good value on the kid.
I don't mind him not getting minutes at all this season to really keep Rondo and DC a lot of good runs.
But just keep little Stockton in roster. His pops should drop by in a lot of practices and seeing hall of fame PG in practice might just be what the doctor need for Rondo to keep his goal to HOF in check.
Stockton looks terrible in SL. He has a few nice lay ups but that's about it.

We have quite frankly needed exactly that "douchy moves" vet. Watching Pierce in the playoffs last year, I was thinking man, that's exactly what we need. An old arrogant vet with a bit of butthead in him, unafraid of anything. Unfortunately Caron is a bit further gone than Pierce, but the confidence/arrogance is a huge plus. You can't even call us a remotely young team anymore, but every team needs as much oozing confidence as it can get. Last year it was too easy for far too many of our players not to believe. To wilt.

And if we want to call him a mentor to Ben, have at it. Ben's a nice kid. Too nice. Were I an NBA player I would absolutely see fresh meat every time he stepped on the floor. I'd punk him. Chip him in the ribs. Whisper in his ear about his mother. Taunt him, bang him, stare him down. And Ben might flinch, he might. He's too nice, and his confidence fluxuates wildly. If Caron comes in and teaches Ben toughness and oncourt arrogance, great. Go for it.

No doubt in my mind that Caron has a ton of confidence. He wore those capri pants in Vegas, with no regrets. Daring people to mock his attire.

This may help a lil bit:
Sacramento Kings ‏@SacramentoKings 10h10 hours ago
Boogie treats Willie and some Kings staff to dinner in Vegas

DeMarcus Cousins and Willie Cauley-Stein

View photo188 retweets468 favorites
Retweet188
Favorite468
More

What a bad attitude and team killer.

Seriously though, WCS look at least 3 inches taller than Cuz in that photo... How tall is that guy!? Wouldn't mind if we UNDERreported his height to fool people about the monster they are going up against.

What a bad attitude and team killer.

Seriously though, WCS look at least 3 inches taller than Cuz in that photo... How tall is that guy!? Wouldn't mind if we UNDERreported his height to fool people about the monster they are going up against.
WCS w/o shoes is 6'11.5". Cousins w/o shoes is 6'9.5". WCS has a couple of inches on him, though Cousins has a wider wingspan.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Boogie is 6'9.5" in bare feet but he's got a 7'5" wingspan and a 9'5" standing reach. That makes him a half inch taller than CWebb with a wingspan 1.5" longer.

So while his long arms let him play bigger Cuz can make a good argument for playing PF.

No doubt in my mind that Caron has a ton of confidence. He wore those capri pants in Vegas, with no regrets. Daring people to mock his attire.
one thing i didnt know until vlades interview this morning was him and caron were actually teammates - i know a lot us dont want to remember vlade went back to that other team for one more year - but it was cool to know that vlade and peja were both with caron in a locker room before and know what hes like - also to hear vlade talk about calling caron and saying it took like 2 mins for him to be on board is cool - if it really went down like that.

one thing i didnt know until vlades interview this morning was him and caron were actually teammates - i know a lot us dont want to remember vlade went back to that other team for one more year - but it was cool to know that vlade and peja were both with caron in a locker room before and know what hes like - also to hear vlade talk about calling caron and saying it took like 2 mins for him to be on board is cool - if it really went down like that.
But he has no front office experience. :D

So if Vlade says we are still looking for a stretch 4 and a 3rd PG

But since Omri and Luc has officially been signed, does that mean those two signings have used up our Cap Space?

If that is the case does that mean we would now still have the Room exception available and the second signing would be a Vet or rookie min contract?

So last question would be would room exception be enough to get a good stretch 4?

I remember in recent history sitting here, wondering how the heck can we improve this roster, trying to come up with ways to move Landry, wondering where to even start at times.

And just like that, we draft a promising prospect, Vivek opens the wallet, and like magic we fill out the roster better than my wildest expectations.

I'm really trying to be conservative with my expectations, but I'm certainly optimistic for the first time in awhile.

I remember in recent history sitting here, wondering how the heck can we improve this roster, trying to come up with ways to move Landry, wondering where to even start at times.

And just like that, we draft a promising prospect, Vivek opens the wallet, and like magic we fill out the roster better than my wildest expectations.

I'm really trying to be conservative with my expectations, but I'm certainly optimistic for the first time in awhile.
That's how I feel, too. "How are we doing this? How have we never done this before?"

And yes, I realize that in some ways, we hurt our future selves, but I LOVE the fact that we are giving ourselves a chance at making the playoffs. We were already doing lousy...give up some future assets, roll the damned dice and let Vlade go to freaking work. They better roll him out on opening night, because I want to cheer for the man.

1) Risky moves like taking on Rondo.

2) Risky moves like trading away future firsts plus useful players to dump bad contracts.

3) A free agent class that was fairly deep in quality bigs and had teams overpaying marginal talents because their contracts will make relative sense next year.

4) Draft a defensive big man.

5) Acquire a couple of potential diamonds in the rough in Moreland and Anderson.

Some of this goes back to PDA as well. Without trading for Rudy, there is no draw to bring in Rondo. That was a gutsy call as Rudy's shine had come off in Toronto at the time. Sure, PDA managed to muck things up afterward, but that was a pivotal moment for the franchise.

All of those moves are prototypical moves for making the leap from rebuild to contender as a small market franchise. It is similar to what the Kings did before; taking a risk to bring in Webber, drafting Peja, trading away the young talent (Williams) to get a steadier hand on the till, and signing limited roleplayers like Christie. You have to get lucky in a few different ways for it all to come together. I am cautiously optimistic that it will come together for the Kings this year. At the very least, it is a relatively cheap team with salary coming off next season in time to make a run at the big free agent class. If the Kings are in the conversation for the playoffs, that should earn the FO some respect, leading to more free agent interest.