Get Cousins, Rudy & Ben to the NYC All Star Game

Merely trying to point out that "politically correct" might not mean what you think it means. I'll leave you alone now.
My mistake on literal accuracy! Pardon if that has caused confusion; in replace of "politically correct", place "literal accuracy".

Hopefully that came across as genuine. I still stand by my point, though, that someone could possibly see Cousins in a bad light.

The one positive is every TNT guy and people i've seen from NBATV all had both Cuz and LeMarcus in their All-Star reserves. Seems to me that the majority of NBA minds would have Cousins in the game this year regardless of if Aldridge plays or not. I wouldn't think the coaches could be that far off

The one positive is every TNT guy and people i've seen from NBATV all had both Cuz and LeMarcus in their All-Star reserves. Seems to me that the majority of NBA minds would have Cousins in the game this year regardless of if Aldridge plays or not. I wouldn't think the coaches could be that far off
Group think takes over. Right now, Boogie seems a lock.

Of course, when they vote this may be a 10 game plus losing streak.

Please, just beat the knicks. That's all I ask.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Coaches ballots are due Monday night, IIRC, so that game could decide it. Also, I'm concerned that the other coaches are closer to Kerr's utterly noncommittal sentiment than the largely pro-Cousins talking heads.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If Cousins gets snubbed, PDA and the FO are to be blamed. Since starting 9-5 we have gone 7-22 thats going on Knick and Sixer bad. Meanwhile teams like the Jazz are coming into their own with young talent getting behind their coach. Meanwhile we have a lameduck coach for the rest of the year and our core players are 5 to 9 year vets. Another wasted season.
Well, let's be honest. Some of the blame has to go to viral meningitis.

No, this team has no cohesion, its once again a bunch of mercenaries out there playing for their next pay check, just going through the motions. With Malone we had a gameplan every night, guys had defined roles. Now its back to what he have been seeing for years. An injury doesn't mask the stupidity of a FO, if anything it makes them look even stupider for making rash decision when its not necessary.

How many games did Kobe miss? Durant? Durant is still likely to be voted in even though he was out for longer than Cousins. Kobe sat out plenty of games (due to being old) and was still voted a starter over a SG many consider to be in the running for MVP in James Harden.

At this point I couldn't less who gets on the all star roster (and yes I did vote for Cuz). I'm so disgusted with the direction of this team, that All Star week will just be depressing (unless we hire a real head coach that week).

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm watching the Sunday TNT game and both Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy don't have Cousins on their respective Western Conference reserves team. (Didn't even mention his name). I'm starting to get concerned that Cousins is not going to be on the team. And if he isn't, I'm just glad I'm not in the Sacto metropolitan area. The nuclear fallout could be deadly.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
At this point I couldn't less who gets on the all star roster (and yes I did vote for Cuz). I'm so disgusted with the direction of this team, that All Star week will just be depressing (unless we hire a real head coach that week).
I think you gotta care.

Even if Cousins himself wasn't concerned, Cousins' agent is one of the most powerful men in the game. If his client's career is being depressed, if honors that should be his are being denied, we will lose him. Then firing Malone becomes a direct assault on Boogie himself, and at this point there are about 29 other more deserving franchises that would love to have him, and the agent will know that.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
How many games did Kobe miss? Durant? Durant is still likely to be voted in even though he was out for longer than Cousins. Kobe sat out plenty of games (due to being old) and was still voted a starter over a SG many consider to be in the running for MVP in James Harden.
And your point is?

I was responding to someone who said it would be PDA and the front office to blame if Cousins didn't make the All-Star team. I reminded him that had Cousins not contracted viral meningitis there is every reason to believe he would have played at a high level during all those games he missed, making it almost impossible for the coaches to overlook him.

It's not about the popular votes.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think you gotta care.

Even if Cousins himself wasn't concerned, Cousins' agent is one of the most powerful men in the game. If his client's career is being depressed, if honors that should be his are being denied, we will lose him. Then firing Malone becomes a direct assault on Boogie himself, and at this point there are about 29 other more deserving franchises that would love to have him, and the agent will know that.
Every single Kings fan needs to read this as many times as it takes for it to get into their heads. Dan Fegan is not to be trifled with. We need Cousins to get to the All-Star game just as much as we needed him to get onto Team USA. If Fegan ever truly believes Cousins legacy is being torpedoed by him remaining in Sacramento...

I'm watching the Sunday TNT game and both Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy don't have Cousins on their respective Western Conference reserves team. (Didn't even mention his name). I'm starting to get concerned that Cousins is not going to be on the team. And if he isn't, I'm just glad I'm not in the Sacto metropolitan area. The nuclear fallout could be deadly.
Yep. Jackson and van Gundy have consistently ignored him as being even a candidate. I have a feeling there's a story there with those two potential King's coaches in particular. Wouldn't surprise me if both have been informed by Boogie's agent that they are not on the Boogie list of potential candidates. Especially Jackson, since as yet he's the only guy rumored to have had anything close to an interview and that went nowhere Despite reports saying Vivek wanted to hire Jackson.

I mean, both Jackson and Van Gundy are arrogant a-holes. I wouldn't want either as a work place proximity associate either.

I have a sneaking suspicion enough coaches will feel that way also that he'll have to hope Silver adds him to the team somehow.

The second Malone got fired I became very concerned.

I don't think he'll make it, as crazy as that sounds. I just can't see it. This team fell apart way too badly. We will see this big uproar, and then because he is cursed to be a Sacramento King, it'll fade away quickly.

Wait an f-ing minute here.

If Vivek and Co. actually see Demarcus as a roadblock/impediment to their "style" and "vision", they may just have fired Malone to pee off the guy and instill their "vision". And if Demarcus isn't on board with their coach ideas (Jackson, Mullin)?
It follows that the FO might suggest to the league to have the refs treat him horrendously on the court.
It follows that the FO wouldn't be protecting him or fighting for a fair treatment from the league.
It follows that they wouldn't make a big fuss if he doesn't make the All-Star game (despite a historic season, never been done before so far).
Then if Demarcus' attitude goes to crap and/or the team goes bad, DMC can be blamed for being "Selfish" and "an empty stat guy".

Demarcus is completely ****ed if the FO isn't behind him. He will lose this power struggle, since if the team wins, it validates that Malone wasn't necessary, and if the team loses, it validates (the idiotic thought) that he's not strong enough to make a winning team.

Seriously, if Boogie doesn't make the All-Star team this year, after having a season so far that has never been accomplished before in the history of the NBA..... and no national media pounces on it as a horrendous injustice/travesty, then Demarcus may well not be a King much longer because it may reveal how the FO doesn't want him.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Quoting selectively because o_O

And if Demarcus isn't on board with their coach ideas (Jackson, Mullin)?
It follows that the FO might suggest to the league to have the refs treat him horrendously on the court.
You realize that this is guano-loco, right?

Seriously, if Boogie doesn't make the All-Star team this year, after having a season so far that has never been accomplished before in the history of the NBA..... and no national media pounces on it as a horrendous injustice/travesty, then Demarcus may well not be a King much longer because it may reveal how the FO doesn't want him.
So, if the national media, who should be almost completely uninfluenced by the Kings' FO, weren't to decry a potential All-Star snub, this would be evidence that the FO doesn't want Cousins on the team. Got it. By the way, I've got a glossy color 8x10 photograph of Elvis in the Texas School Book Depository, want to buy it?

I think you gotta care.

Even if Cousins himself wasn't concerned, Cousins' agent is one of the most powerful men in the game. If his client's career is being depressed, if honors that should be his are being denied, we will lose him. Then firing Malone becomes a direct assault on Boogie himself, and at this point there are about 29 other more deserving franchises that would love to have him, and the agent
will know that.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: If this ownership somehow manages to lose Demarcus Cousins, I'm done. I'm just done. The ESC will still be in place, KJ will have saved the city, all that. But the team... there is no way I could enjoy rooting for a team that squandered the greatest center to come along in 20 years. For the entirety of Boogie's career elsewhere, I would always be wondering "what if", and that state of mind is not worth my energy. I'll seriously become a casual Warriors fan. I'm a Giants fan anyway. Not too big a leap. And I'll root for the Warriors to beat the Kings just so that they teach them a lesson. At a certain point, I my allegiance cannot withstand incompetence. I cannot believe in incompetence. That's why I'm a Giants fan and not an A's fan (Billy Beane notwithstanding.)

It's like if the Jazz got new owners shortly into Karl Malone and John Stockton and Jerry Sloan's career, and they just sent them all packing. We've already done that with 2 out of 3. (Tyreke not the same level as Stockton, but similar, especially if his first few years of development wasn't botched.)

You realize that this is guano-loco, right?
So, if the national media, who should be almost completely uninfluenced by the Kings' FO, weren't to decry a potential All-Star snub, this would be evidence that the FO doesn't want Cousins on the team. Got it.
You obviously have a different belief than I do about how much influence a near-billionaire businessman (with strong ties to India) spearheading an NBA 3.0 international vision can have on the league.
I believe that if he (and the Kings' front office) wanted Demarcus to get unfair attention from the refs, they'd be happy to give it.

You also seem to believe that the NBA can't control the national media's narrative.

We just believe the owners and front office have a different level of interaction with the multi-billion dollar product, is all - it's not bat-crap craziness.

If you think sports owners have zero control over the intangibles and unproveable backroom deals and PR of their sport (business), then I think you are naive to the point of not looking at the world.

K

KingMilz

Yep. Jackson and van Gundy have consistently ignored him as being even a candidate. I have a feeling there's a story there with those two potential King's coaches in particular. Wouldn't surprise me if both have been informed by Boogie's agent that they are not on the Boogie list of potential candidates. Especially Jackson, since as yet he's the only guy rumored to have had anything close to an interview and that went nowhere Despite reports saying Vivek wanted to hire Jackson.

I mean, both Jackson and Van Gundy are arrogant a-holes. I wouldn't want either as a work place proximity associate either.

I have a sneaking suspicion enough coaches will feel that way also that he'll have to hope Silver adds him to the team somehow.

The second Malone got fired I became very concerned.

I don't think he'll make it, as crazy as that sounds. I just can't see it. This team fell apart way too badly. We will see this big uproar, and then because he is cursed to be a Sacramento King, it'll fade away quickly.
I agree with Jeff Van Gundy when he says impact on winning > stats, to me the ASG is for the best players that year right? Well to me the best players are the top players playing on the best teams. I think Dallas fans/Spurs fans should be far more upset than us if they don't get a All-Star in the game, I mean Monta Ellis has been a beast leading his team to wins and being clutch and he's virtually no shot of getting in so why should Cousins be a lock?

You don't deserve anything if your a crap team in particular when your the only crap team way below 500. that's not trying to tank.

I agree with Jeff Van Gundy when he says impact on winning > stats, to me the ASG is for the best players that year right? Well to me the best players are the top players playing on the best teams. I think Dallas fans/Spurs fans should be far more upset than us if they don't get a All-Star in the game, I mean Monta Ellis has been a beast leading his team to wins and being clutch and he's virtually no shot of getting in so why should Cousins be a lock?

You don't deserve anything if your a crap team in particular when your the only crap team way below 500. that's not trying to tank.
But if we follow this rule of winning>stats there would be several players, that shouldn't be All Stars over the last several years - Anthony, Irving for example.

K

KingMilz

But if we follow this rule of winning>stats there would be several players, that shouldn't be All Stars over the last several years - Anthony, Irving for example.
As far as Anthony you can't do anything about fans being dumb and voting him in, as far as Kyrie imo he should not have a single All-Star selection in his entire career (I believe he was also voted in). Both these guys are in the East...so yeah to me this year Knight/Teague/Butler/Lowry/Wall are all way better than Irving (who to me is the most overrated player in the NBA).

K

KingMilz

All the noises you hear from the national types are coaches value the winning record over all else.

If there's a coin flip demarcus will miss out.
That is why we play basketball is it not? You can throw out every stat in the back it all comes back to W/L's in particular in the West.

That is why we play basketball is it not? You can throw out every stat in the back it all comes back to W/L's in particular in the West.
To be perfectly honest I really couldn't care less about the all star game, but it obviously means something to the players so I hope Cuz gets in.

As for the W/L's It's a bit of a grey area really isn't it, I always thought the all star game was about the best individual players coming together, though it could be said if you're a top individual you should be making your team better... not quite as simple as that though is it, put Kevin Durant on the Sixers and they probably get a bit better... but not enough to have a winning record but there's no question KD is one of the best individual players in the game.. etc etc.