All-Purpose Reno Bighorns thread

dude12

Hall of Famer
Watched Reno make a basket and then Rio would inbound it and score on a FB layup or dunk with no Reno player past the FT line....happened like 3 of 4 possessions in one stretch. How does that happen?

Watched Reno make a basket and then Rio would inbound it and score on a FB layup or dunk with no Reno player past the FT line....happened like 3 of 4 possessions in one stretch. How does that happen?
The sad truth? It's deliberate. That's actually part of the strategy. To try and get the ball back either through a pressure to or a quick basket for the other team. It's a garbage system that has no place in college hoops let alone the pros.

As I remember, questions about Reno were not asked to PDA on Carmichael Dave show. Too bad, it would be interesting to hear any reasonable explanation of running this circus with a grown men's basketball team, in the NBA Development League. I know PDA was successfully spinning his answers, but still.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Having watched the game, Sim has some soft hands, showed some nice hook shots and blocks but my gawd man, get in shape. Going to be a long process for him to work on his body. You can't teach 7'5" but you can work on the body.

P

Pace

"Fun basketball..???" It doesn't look like basketball at all! Ridiculous.
That's what you plan to do with the kings as well? What's exactly fun about it? That's just horrible :eek::eek::eek:
Didn't say it's good basketball lol, it's the d-league. Just that's it sounds fun to watch.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
So irritating to see most D-league teams (group of the top teams for sure) emulate their parent team so as to help the transisition of their players to the NBA parent BUT NOT RENO AND THE KINGS!

Bighorn basketball is unwatchable! It is nothing more than playground level shooting drills. No plans (whoa, that makes sense considering), no plays, no defense, no nuturing of players, no preparation for players to advance to the NBA style of play. If this is Ranadive's idea of NBA 3.0 then to this long time fan, past STH and ex-college player it is a failure insifar as game style or pace or play is concerned. Went to a few Reno games in past years but not this year. It's not basketball anymore and it sure as h... doesn't prepare players get into the NBA much less help the Kings with player development.

So then, why should we support it? Why should we be encouraged to buy season tickets if there is no minor league team to help our Kings with up and coming players?

First, you need a plan for the Kings team to win more games. Winning solves all ills. But Kings don't seem to have a plan. Neither does Reno. Second you need a good coach who gets the team to play to their strengths, plays defense and plays together. Had that and threw it away.

What is really going on here? I sure don't know. Do you in the FO? Where is my encouragement to watch and pay to see Kings NBA style basketball? Or don't you care about the team and us any more?

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
As I remember, questions about Reno were not asked to PDA on Carmichael Dave show. Too bad, it would be interesting to hear any reasonable explanation of running this circus with a grown men's basketball team, in the NBA Development League. I know PDA was successfully spinning his answers, but still.
Yes, as a matter of fact I wanted to ask that question, but time ran out.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Not sending him to Reno right now is just being stubborn....send his ass down there for a few games when the timing is right.....a break between Kings games at home.....and let the kid get some run. Let him shoot in a game situation so he can get some confidence going. I don't care what offense they run, he just needs to play and get back to not thinking and just play.

Normally I'd say sending a struggling rookie to D league to get more PT is a good thing, and it still might be. But I worry about what he will learn in that mad house. Sure he will get LOTS of shot attempts but I am not sure what else.

Really, what's the point of having a d league team if you can't send players to it?

I really wish someone would pin these guys down and have them explain what is going on in Reno.