Official PDA live radio thread

Let me go ahead and disappoint you. Not much more candor off-air.

Of the 10 or so of us in the audience I'd guess only six of us got to ask questions. I had a few different things to ask but when I heard him mention Malone's record w/o Cuz I changed my question somewhat.

Afterward I waited a bit to give time to people that weren't on air before asking anything else. My last question to PDA was essentially:

"The disconnect to me is that to start this season I saw a grind it out, defensive minded coach who looked in lockstep with a GM who seemed to be giving him the exact type of players to play that sort of game. To be a tough playoff team ala Memphis. DeMarcus is the most talented big man in the league but best in the post. Rudy was ineffective in Toronto chucking from the perimeter but much more efficient under Malone getting post ups and attacking the basket, Thompson is a grinder down low, Landry is a post scorer, McLemore is best off the catch and shoot, spotting up in the half court and so on. This team seems built for the halfcourt - what about the roster to you says they should be a running team?"

The first words out of Pete's mouth - I **** you not - were: "Darren Collison, Derrick Williams, Omri Casspi, Ben McLemore, even Nik Stauskas" He then went on to say that Rudy needed to be more of a transition player to be effective, that he wasn't really a half court, physical player and that the nice thing about running is that you have a guy in DeMarcus Cousins that can get you a bucket any time. So you run out and try and get a hoop in transition and if you don't get a good look then you throw it into DeMarcus and let him work. To me, that's essentially admitting that Boogie isn't really suited for this type of offense.

Knowing he wouldn't answer a "Is Mullin the next coach?" question I was planning on asking why he was so willing to be patient with Ben and Nik and even DeMarcus but not allow Malone to grow as a coach and how the organization can get anywhere blowing up this season and then hiring a new coach next season too instead of letting something build and see where it goes. But honestly I was frustrated and I didn't think there'd be any more substance to come out so I was the first to leave.

I don't know how long the afterward Q & A went. If Capt. Factorial was there (I don't know his actual name) maybe he can fill in a bit more.
Thanks for repping us and dealing with his BS in person.

Honestly, there was 1 to 2 things that made total sense.

1. He said that isolation ball is not the way to go. We did seem to have an isolation heavy offense. I seem to remember LOTS of complaining about this.
2. Because of the focus so heavily on defense, the players were not well conditioned. This seems to show in the way that we'd get off to good starts and flounder.

Look, I am as upset as the next that we got rid of Malone, but those do make at least some sense.

The Kings winning the summer league championship might have been the worst thing this team ever did. The FO saw them win with "their ideas" being implemented. They were vindicated in their beliefs and they made the huge assumption that summer league success with the run and gun could translate into regular season success. Now the FO doesn't believe their eyes with the lack of success during the regular season. They believe that the lack of success under Corbin is temporary because of Cousins not being 100% and because it is a new system and will take time; there is an adjustment period, blah, blah, blah. PDA totally dodged how long they are willing to endure losing this year until they make another coaching change, but my guess is that are going to wait a good long while until they raise the white flag of surrender on their hallowed ideas.
The scary part is I think they actually believe this rather than it just being lip service or excuses to buy time. The whole summer league trophy thing might have been the tipping point in giving the ok to fire malone for a basketball novice in Vivek who might not have grasped the huge difference in the NBA vs the summer league.

You ask a lot of questions, but I will at least take a shot at the last one:

1) signed DMC to another contract
2) traded away scrubs for a very good SF in Rudy Gay. The best SF seen here in years and then signed him for another contract.
3) Fired a coach who went 39-67 while here. Oddly enough, the FO office thought that they could do better than 39-67.
One of the above 3 is not the same as the other 2.

Of the 10 or so of us in the audience I'd guess only six of us got to ask questions. I had a few different things to ask but when I heard him mention Malone's record w/o Cuz I changed my question somewhat.

Afterward I waited a bit to give time to people that weren't on air before asking anything else. My last question to PDA was essentially:

"The disconnect to me is that to start this season I saw a grind it out, defensive minded coach who looked in lockstep with a GM who seemed to be giving him the exact type of players to play that sort of game. To be a tough playoff team ala Memphis. DeMarcus is the most talented big man in the league but best in the post. Rudy was ineffective in Toronto chucking from the perimeter but much more efficient under Malone getting post ups and attacking the basket, Thompson is a grinder down low, Landry is a post scorer, McLemore is best off the catch and shoot, spotting up in the half court and so on. This team seems built for the halfcourt - what about the roster to you says they should be a running team?"

The first words out of Pete's mouth - I **** you not - were: "Darren Collison, Derrick Williams, Omri Casspi, Ben McLemore, even Nik Stauskas" He then went on to say that Rudy needed to be more of a transition player to be effective, that he wasn't really a half court, physical player and that the nice thing about running is that you have a guy in DeMarcus Cousins that can get you a bucket any time. So you run out and try and get a hoop in transition and if you don't get a good look then you throw it into DeMarcus and let him work. To me, that's essentially admitting that Boogie isn't really suited for this type of offense.

Knowing he wouldn't answer a "Is Mullin the next coach?" question I was planning on asking why he was so willing to be patient with Ben and Nik and even DeMarcus but not allow Malone to grow as a coach and how the organization can get anywhere blowing up this season and then hiring a new coach next season too instead of letting something build and see where it goes. But honestly I was frustrated and I didn't think there'd be any more substance to come out so I was the first to leave.

I don't know how long the afterward Q & A went. If Capt. Factorial was there (I don't know his actual name) maybe he can fill in a bit more.
Wow. Thanks for representing us.
Pete sucks. He sucks so bad

PDA, is that you?

I mean seriously, that is a horrifically disingenuous statement.

They turned over the entire roster in Malone's first year.
Only 2 players remained, JT & Cousins, and you will never, ever, win in the NBA with that sort of roster turn-over unless you're trading rookies for HOF-type veteran players.

How about this one: 3-12

That is the record that Scott Brooks started off with with-out his best players....I didn't see him getting fired.

And oh look, his players are back now and doing just fine.

As to the DMC signing....everyone wanted it to happen, including DMC...so only a complete incompetent would have messed that up.
So we shouldn't be upset with PDA because he wasn't completely incompetent in that decision?

Ok....
Regarding DMC signing, one of the biggest surprises or shameless lies was PDA's statement that the vast majority of folks were advising Vivek and Kings NOT to sign up DMC and that he was one of the rare (or only) interviewed GM that trusted in DMC.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
How about this one: 3-12

That is the record that Scott Brooks started off with with-out his best players....I didn't see him getting fired.
Forget about missing his best players: Scott Brooks started his coaching career 41-63, through the first 104 games of his career, the latter 35 (when he went 19-16), he had Durant, Westbrook, Green, Harden and Ibaka. I guess it pays to be on the same page as the GM.

Great question and one I've been wondering myself. My dad was a longtime successful HS bball coach, and his main concept was coaching and developing a scheme to fit his roster each year, not a roster to fit his scheme. This roster as constructed is a grind it out half court team. Malone knew that, and coached it up.

Yes, that was a horrible answer from Pete.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Honestly, there was 1 to 2 things that made total sense.

1. He said that isolation ball is not the way to go. We did seem to have an isolation heavy offense. I seem to remember LOTS of complaining about this.
2. Because of the focus so heavily on defense, the players were not well conditioned. This seems to show in the way that we'd get off to good starts and flounder.
What does a focus on defense have to do with a lack of conditioning?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
As I expected, lots of spin from D'Alessandro. But what concerned me much more was that what little substance I did hear was frightening.

1) Corbin is the coach until the end of the season.
2) PDA thinks that there is a lot more talent on this roster than there really is
3) He thinks the team should be taking a lot more threes
4) There was no plan in place after firing Malone - just that his style wasn't "the kind of team we want to be"
5) He thinks the team will play the same level of defense they did under Malone for Corbin
6) He chalks up DeMarcus being upset about Malone's firing to Boogie being "an emotional guy" and not much else
7) When asked about STH not renewing he raised his eyebrows and said, "Because we fired a coach? Come on."

Originally I was thinking this was a power play or some other behind the scenes machinations. But after this morning my thought is that the guy just doesn't get it.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
He then went on to say that Rudy needed to be more of a transition player to be effective, that he wasn't really a half court, physical player.
This point is very key in my mind. This is where I diverge greatly from the PDA assessment and would appreciate having this point discussed. Rudy Gay's strength is not in transition. He's not particularly fast by NBA standards; he doesn't make good decisions when he is moving fast with the ball in his hands; he's not all that great at rising up off the run for a pull-up jumper. Moreover, when you run in this league on a consistent basis your opponent is going to run on you on a consistent basis. Gay is not a good defender in space, which is exactly what the running game produces - situations in which you have to flash to your man who is running in space, often at the 3 point line. A lot of people focus on Cousins as the fish out of water in the running game. Yes, he is with the current roster we have, but with players who can run complementing him he could be in my view. But that leads to the key player around him - Rudy Gay. To my mind Gay is the fish out water with the running game regardless of the other players on the floor.

What does a focus on defense have to do with a lack of conditioning?
They weren't running as much as maybe needed. I don't know about you, but when I was playing bball, we didnt run a lick while practicing defense....unless we screwed up. Not saying it's 100% correct, it was just a little eye opening. Like I said, I am pissed that Malone is gone, especially without a better replacement, but I think this somewhat explains that philosophical difference.

Thanks for representing us today.

I'm glad to hear that the mood in the room wasn't really a positive one, because I certainly wasn't buying what PDA was trying to sell, and it seems as if that was the general sentiment from those who were actually present.

I think it was mentioned earlier, but perhaps another grass-roots effort is in order.

I'm not really a twitter guy, but does anyone know the best places to tweet out that I will not be attending the Friday (Jan 7th) and Sunday (Jan 9th) games with my wife specifically due to the decisions the FO have made and the lack of direction and basketball acumen being displayed in subsequent interviews attempting to justify said decisions?
And unless changes are made that appear to have a semblance of a plan I don't plan on attending any more Kings games.

I'm not really up on who to send them to and what hash-tags make sense, so advice from people who live and breath that stuff would be great.

Thanks for representing us today.

I'm glad to hear that the mood in the room wasn't really a positive one, because I certainly wasn't buying what PDA was trying to sell, and it seems as if that was the general sentiment from those who were actually present.

I think it was mentioned earlier, but perhaps another grass-roots effort is in order.

I'm not really a twitter guy, but does anyone know the best places to tweet out that I will not be attending the Friday (Jan 7th) and Sunday (Jan 9th) games with my wife specifically due to the decisions the FO have made and the lack of direction and basketball acumen being displayed in subsequent interviews attempting to justify said decisions?
And unless changes are made that appear to have a semblance of a plan I don't plan on attending any more Kings games.

I'm not really up on who to send them to and what hash-tags make sense, so advice from people who live and breath that stuff would be great.
The only advice I have would be to tweet @Vivek and @pdoro. Otherwise, I'm not too saavy on what hashtags should be used. I was actually thinking a new hashtag might be appropriate and I can include that in all of my tweets to vivek and pda

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
They weren't running as much as maybe needed. I don't know about you, but when I was playing bball, we didnt run a lick while practicing defense....unless we screwed up. Not saying it's 100% correct, it was just a little eye opening.
Somebody on the Kings' staff should watch Coach Carter, then.

The only advice I have would be to tweet @Vivek and @pdoro. Otherwise, I'm not too saavy on what hashtags should be used. I was actually thinking a new hashtag might be appropriate and I can include that in all of my tweets to vivek and pda
Perhaps people who are really savvy at that sort of stuff can help coordinate and put something together for everyone to be consistent and maximize the impact so our voices can be best heard.

They weren't running as much as maybe needed. I don't know about you, but when I was playing bball, we didnt run a lick while practicing defense....unless we screwed up. Not saying it's 100% correct, it was just a little eye opening. Like I said, I am pissed that Malone is gone, especially without a better replacement, but I think this somewhat explains that philosophical difference.
Of course they weren't. Defense slows down the game. That's the point.

This point is very key in my mind. This is where I diverge greatly from the PDA assessment and would appreciate having this point discussed. Rudy Gay's strength is not in transition. He's not particularly fast by NBA standards; he doesn't make good decisions when he is moving fast with the ball in his hands; he's not all that great at rising up off the run for a pull-up jumper. Moreover, when you run in this league on a consistent basis your opponent is going to run on you on a consistent basis. Gay is not a good defender in space, which is exactly what the running game produces - situations in which you have to flash to your man who is running in space, often at the 3 point line. A lot of people focus on Cousins as the fish out of water in the running game. Yes, he is with the current roster we have, but with players who can run complementing him he could be in my view. But that leads to the key player around him - Rudy Gay. To my mind Gay is the fish out water with the running game regardless of the other players on the floor.
Yup...

Rudy is an iso player no matter how you slice it and he's good at it in a half court set with the defense unwilling to commit to him with dmc on the other side of the block ready to get the rebound or finishing. We're in trouble folks.

Tweet to to me @HereWeBoogie, and i'll retweet it, and i know my followers will as well.

Shockingly, Vivek has not unfollowed me, yet