Official PDA live radio thread

Most likely, and if our FO is valuing summer league over what Malone was doing, we are going to be worse off now than with the Maloofs (before they attempted to move the Kings) when they were just looking for "cash back" with all trades.
It's almost funny to try and comprehend that he was actually saying what he said. They wanted to see Summer ball carry over and it didn't happen. It just boggles my mind how this guy has the job of a NBA GM.

The entire problem in the first place is that it was SUMMER LEAGUE.... AKA glorified pick up basketball. You are an idiot if you base your entire season's wishes on summer league with scrubs playing. That poopoo don't fly in the big league. PDA is a moron, an imbecile, and deserves to be hit in the head with a shovel. That man does not deserve an ounce of respect, lying through his teeth bastard. FU Gerbil.
Lets not get carried away here.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Corbin is the coach for the rest of the year, which means that this year is about protecting that pick. I would not be surprised to see a flurry of moves to further disrupt the team. If I was Stauskas, I wouldn't go house shopping just yet.
Sadly, I think you're right. I'm guessing they expected Malone to struggle out of the gates, and Corbin to continue "the tank", so that they could have one more shot at the lottery. That didn't happen, and they weren't smart enough to think #5StepsAhead to come up with a contingency plan, so they're trying to muck it up as much as possible, not realizing that it is too late. They're not thinking about this season. They're all about the new arena.
If this keeps up, they're going to need to think about not having Cousins in the new arena. Good luck with that - just be sure to trade him to the East so that we'll only have to face him once or twice a year, if that.

heres how the interview went for those who didn't get to listen to it....

hey pete, basketball related question.. response, oooooOOOooohhhhh look shiny arena! ty is our coach! no more hard basketball related questions ok?!

i was once told by a car salesman that a car with 900 miles is a new car. anybody in their right mind knows that is NOT a new car. gerbil is in the same class as a car salesman.

I didn't hear the first fifteen minutes of the interview. Other than the snippet I posted above, the only thing that really struck me was the fact that summer league was obviously very important to PDA and Vivek. Corbin played the kind of ball they liked in summer league and they were very disappointed when they didn't see that ball being played in the regular season under Malone. What the heck offense did they run in summer league? It wasn't something I was paying attention to. The summer league strategy seems to be their model for where they want this team to go.
I wanted to point this out as well.

This was the one true take-away that I got from the interview.

It appears that Malone got fired because we won the Summer League championship.

Can you believe that?

If we had lost the first summer league game, Malone might still be our coach.

But because Corbin won with a non-iso offense (Because we had zero dominant players in summer league) *** in a meaningless exhibition league, it gave PDA the ammunition that he needed to basically say, "See our guys can win championships with-out Cousins on the floor if we play offense the 'right' way".

***Seriously, it was noted over and over again that the Kings were the only play-off team in the last couple of rounds that did not have a single player in the 'All Summer League Team' or or 'All Summer League Second Team'.

So Corbin didn't have any dominant guys for him, so he had to play 'move-the-ball' and hope it would be enough against watered down competition...and it was...and Malone got fired over it.

I too have more questions than answers after listening diligently for the full hour...

8) What has Pete D done to keep our confidence as ticket holders, viewers, and fan supporters? Why should we believe in this season? If you are trying to win, do it better or GTFO!

You ask a lot of questions, but I will at least take a shot at the last one:

1) signed DMC to another contract
2) traded away scrubs for a very good SF in Rudy Gay. The best SF seen here in years and then signed him for another contract.
3) Fired a coach who went 39-67 while here. Oddly enough, the FO office thought that they could do better than 39-67.

Someone spoke about getting robbed in 2002 of a championship and PDA snarkily replied, "With the #1 fast paced team..." And follows that up with a nervous laugh. Fingernails on a chalkboard.
What PDA fails to realize is that the 2002 Kings also had a very good defense, amazing chemistry and belief in one another and their system, 1 to 2 MVP Candidates, fantastic depth, 2 of the smartest big men in the game and future hall-of-famers, some of the highest BBIQ this city has seen and OH YEAH, a potential HOF Coach.

But, no, his nose is too far up his data to realize.

2) traded away scrubs for a very good SF in Rudy Gay. The best SF seen here in years and then signed him for another contract.
3) Fired a coach who went 39-67 while here. Oddly enough, the FO office thought that they could do better than 39-67.

Pete? Is that you?

Yep, they reeled in our 2 stars BEFORE firing one of the big selling points to reel them in with.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The Kings winning the summer league championship might have been the worst thing this team ever did. The FO saw them win with "their ideas" being implemented. They were vindicated in their beliefs and they made the huge assumption that summer league success with the run and gun could translate into regular season success. Now the FO doesn't believe their eyes with the lack of success during the regular season. They believe that the lack of success under Corbin is temporary because of Cousins not being 100% and because it is a new system and will take time; there is an adjustment period, blah, blah, blah. PDA totally dodged how long they are willing to endure losing this year until they make another coaching change, but my guess is that are going to wait a good long while until they raise the white flag of surrender on their hallowed ideas.

Sadly, I think you're right. I'm guessing they expected Malone to struggle out of the gates, and Corbin to continue "the tank", so that they could have one more shot at the lottery. That didn't happen, and they weren't smart enough to think #5StepsAhead to come up with a contingency plan, so they're trying to muck it up as much as possible, not realizing that it is too late. They're not thinking about this season. They're all about the new arena.
If this keeps up, they're going to need to think about not having Cousins in the new arena. Good luck with that - just be sure to trade him to the East so that we'll only have to face him once or twice a year, if that.
This was my thinking from the get go. PDA knew that he was going to fire Malone after this season and when he got off to a good start he realized he had to do something now as it would make him look bad if he fired a coach who gave the Kings their first winning record in years(never thinking how bad he looks now that the team has totally fallen apart). That 43% winning percentage for Corbin would catch the eye of any GM :mad:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hopefully we get more info about the "off-air" stuff, because the "on-air" left much to be desired.
Let me go ahead and disappoint you. Not much more candor off-air.

Of the 10 or so of us in the audience I'd guess only six of us got to ask questions. I had a few different things to ask but when I heard him mention Malone's record w/o Cuz I changed my question somewhat.

Afterward I waited a bit to give time to people that weren't on air before asking anything else. My last question to PDA was essentially:

"The disconnect to me is that to start this season I saw a grind it out, defensive minded coach who looked in lockstep with a GM who seemed to be giving him the exact type of players to play that sort of game. To be a tough playoff team ala Memphis. DeMarcus is the most talented big man in the league but best in the post. Rudy was ineffective in Toronto chucking from the perimeter but much more efficient under Malone getting post ups and attacking the basket, Thompson is a grinder down low, Landry is a post scorer, McLemore is best off the catch and shoot, spotting up in the half court and so on. This team seems built for the halfcourt - what about the roster to you says they should be a running team?"

The first words out of Pete's mouth - I **** you not - were: "Darren Collison, Derrick Williams, Omri Casspi, Ben McLemore, even Nik Stauskas" He then went on to say that Rudy needed to be more of a transition player to be effective, that he wasn't really a half court, physical player and that the nice thing about running is that you have a guy in DeMarcus Cousins that can get you a bucket any time. So you run out and try and get a hoop in transition and if you don't get a good look then you throw it into DeMarcus and let him work. To me, that's essentially admitting that Boogie isn't really suited for this type of offense.

Knowing he wouldn't answer a "Is Mullin the next coach?" question I was planning on asking why he was so willing to be patient with Ben and Nik and even DeMarcus but not allow Malone to grow as a coach and how the organization can get anywhere blowing up this season and then hiring a new coach next season too instead of letting something build and see where it goes. But honestly I was frustrated and I didn't think there'd be any more substance to come out so I was the first to leave.

I don't know how long the afterward Q & A went. If Capt. Factorial was there (I don't know his actual name) maybe he can fill in a bit more.

PDA, is that you?

I mean seriously, that is a horrifically disingenuous statement.

They turned over the entire roster in Malone's first year.
Only 2 players remained, JT & Cousins, and you will never, ever, win in the NBA with that sort of roster turn-over unless you're trading rookies for HOF-type veteran players.

How about this one: 3-12

That is the record that Scott Brooks started off with with-out his best players....I didn't see him getting fired.

And oh look, his players are back now and doing just fine.

As to the DMC signing....everyone wanted it to happen, including DMC...so only a complete incompetent would have messed that up.
So we shouldn't be upset with PDA because he wasn't completely incompetent in that decision?

Ok....