[Game] Game 8: Sacramento Kings @ Dallas Mavericks, 11/11/14 5:30 PST 8:30 EST

Kings record for the season:

• Total voters
Carl has 3 boards in 27 minutes. Sessions 0 assists in 30.
The kings have made an effort to not add frontline talent around Cousins to overpower teams inside. Instead, they have arguably the second best big in the league and decided to play small ball...while letting their best guard go and replacing him with a career backup for the same price. Oh, and they are benching their promising guard to give minutes to Sessions. I really don't get this front office and coaching strategy.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
one other thing I want to note; I don't remember Cousins struggling so much with Chandler in the past. I think it's because he gave him some jump shots with a mix of post moves, instead of exclusively just trying to bury his shoulder in his chest and hoping to create space and/or a whistle.

2nd game in a row, a veteran team gets physical with this team, and seems to get in their heads. Kings played strong early but wilted against a physical team that didn't back down.

This looks like a bad case of "haven't been there before." We need a vet who's fought in meaningful games and knows what this is like.

How perfect would Ray Allen be for this team?

The one guy, besides Collison, who has looked very solid mentally, is Casspi. He's playing smart team ball and continues to make the right play. Only shoots the three if it makes sense for the team play etc etc

The kings have made an effort to not add frontline talent around Cousins to overpower teams inside. Instead, they have arguably the second best big in the league and decided to play small ball...while letting their best guard go and replacing him with a career backup for the same price. Oh, and they are benching their promising guard to give minutes to Sessions. I really don't get this front office and coaching strategy.
I'm not missing IT at all and we are paying Collison considerably less.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Not sure where Collison fits in this rant.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We've been doing pretty well with our replacement for Isaiah Thomas. Unfortunately, he's injured tonight. But don't let facts get in the way of your rant.

one other thing I want to note; I don't remember Cousins struggling so much with Chandler in the past. I think it's because he gave him some jump shots with a mix of post moves, instead of exclusively just trying to bury his shoulder in his chest and hoping to create space and/or a whistle.
Really? I somehow do.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's a big-assed difference between "not folding" and "winning a game you were trailing by twenty-six."

"Not folding" is getting back to within single digits, maybe even tying the game. Coming all the way back to take a double-digit lead goes way beyond "not folding." There's some choking involved in that exchange.
The Kings played good basketball early and then progressed from mediocre to absolutely awful.

And honestly while I was frustrated to see the team give up such a big lead (even to an offensive powerhouse on their home floor) I am much more upset to see how they reacted to that turn of events.

If the Kings reaction to adversity is going to be selfish, sloppy and really just dumb basketball then Kendrick Perkins will be proved right and these WILL be the same old Kings.

They don't have the talent to play bad basketball and win. They have to play a solid team game on both ends of the floor.

Don't get me wrong, I like Landry and Thompson, but Kings need a scoring or all-around PF badly, the lack of offense overall from the PF position (especially when needed), is scary

I disagree with the talent part. We do have enough to "contend" for playoffs....but the mental fortitude and composure needs to solidify
I disagree. They are worse off in the backcourt than last season, they still have no wing talent outside of Rudy, and they have overpaid, underwhelming frontcourt players surrounding Cousins. They are not a top 8 team in this conference. Put them in the east and they might make it.