Omri Casspi - good signing or not?

Omri - good signing or waste?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This forum is kinda like advanced stats. I would guess that if PDA's eye test says good things about someone, he rushes to KF.com to see what the consensus is. If his eye test is backed up by our opinions, he pulls the trigger. I can sure think of worse ways to go about things.
lol if that were true he probably wouldn't have gotten Casspi

lol if that were true he probably wouldn't have gotten Casspi
I agree with you. There is a LOT of us who reacted negatively and do not want Casspi back when it was first reported the Kings was talking to him.

But I agree with Glenn. He was signed for the vet minimum and probably will rot at the end of the bench. So, all may be okay for now, except that I'd rather have Terrence Williams over Casspi. Casspi is not talented enough to play in the NBA. Casspi is a waste on roster spot and money for the Kings.

Last edited:
K

KingMilz

We have Travis Outlaw who sucks and is better that's all you need to know and to top it off at two of the 3 places Casspi has played at he's complained.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Don't really care for it, but at the vet minimum and for a one year deal it really doesn't make a difference. He really hasn't improved much from the time he left Sacramento so I'm not really sure the reasoning behind the signing, only thing I can come up with is adding him as trade filler at the deadline and in the mean time hope to boost his trade value by playing time spot minutes.

For the minimum he is a useful 9th, 10th, 11th man. Unfortunately our roster right now is full of end benchers.

Cousins- starter
JT- 7th-8th man
Gay- starter
Stauskas- ?(projected 7th-8th man this season)
Collison- 6th-7th man
Landry- 7th man
McCallum- 8th-9th man
Mclemore- 7th-9th man
Reggie Evans- 9th-10th man
Derrick Williams- 8th-9th man
Travis Outlaw- 10th-13th man
Eric Moreland- 12th-14th man
Quincy Acy- 1oth-13th man
Omri Casspi- 9th-11th man
Jason Terry- 15th man

We have exactly 2 proven starters and Gay isn't even a proven #2, did well last season as a #2/#3 hybrid on a 28 win team. We have 3 proven rotation players in Collison, Landry and JT and we will have to start two of them at this point. Everyone else are what they are and we have some young guys that could step up but could just as easily have struggles.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I don't see how it is a BAD signing, let's put it that way. He's cheap, and as serviceable as Travis Outlaw on a micro contract. Now whether it turns out to be a GOOD signing depend son what else we do. If we perfect world it, dump one of the larger contracts ahead of him as part of a larger deal, then swap in Omri on his micro contract in place of that larger contracted guy? Then its a good signing, and good cap strategy. If we don't and Omri is just sitting their as a third string SF on an unnecessary contract? Then obviously it accomplishes little.

I don't see how it is a BAD signing, let's put it that way. He's cheap, and as serviceable as Travis Outlaw on a micro contract. Now whether it turns out to be a GOOD signing depend son what else we do. If we perfect world it, dump one of the larger contracts ahead of him as part of a larger deal, then swap in Omri on his micro contract in place of that larger contracted guy? Then its a good signing, and good cap strategy. If we don't and Omri is just sitting their as a third string SF on an unnecessary contract? Then obviously it accomplishes little.
It's already a good signing through the sheer fact that we can throw around $11mil in enders in any trade scenarios we're looking at. That freedom is pretty important moving forward, especially with the sort of trades we'll be looking for with those contracts.

We have Travis Outlaw who sucks and is better that's all you need to know and to top it off at two of the 3 places Casspi has played at he's complained.
^yea i too would take Outlaw over Casspi. And i think we all know what the general consensus around here on Travis Outlaw has been
This is how bad of a player Casspi is. And this is no matter how cheap we got him. His talent is not for NBA. He belongs to D-League.

I'd rather the FO gambled and wasted that roster spot on the talent of Marshon Brooks or Terrence Williams (or even BJ Mullens to have a reserve center) for the same amount of cheap money.

Last edited:

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
This is how bad of a player Casspi is. And this is no matter how cheap we got him. His talent is not for NBA. He belongs to D-League. I'd rather gamble and waste a roster spot on the talent of Marshon Brooks or Terrence Williams (or even BJ Mullens to have a reserve center) for the same amount of cheap money
That's certainly not true. He helped Hou for a few solid stretches this year. Was an important bench option for them at times. Signing him isn't bad in and of itself, it just doesn't answer any real pressing needs. Better SF than Outlaw though.

Casspi at the vet minimum is a good signing. He is serviceable and basically fills the backup behind Rudy without breaking the bank. He can fill in a role similar to what Matt Barnes has been for clippers.
Matt Barnes role comparison?

I think you are comparing heaven and earth on that one.

Oh well, I guess the Clippers are building Heaven and the Kings are building earth.

K

KingMilz

That's certainly not true. He helped Hou for a few solid stretches this year. Was an important bench option for them at times. Signing him isn't bad in and of itself, it just doesn't answer any real pressing needs. Better SF than Outlaw though.
In games that actually mattered he NEVER played, Travis Outlaw helped us as well during times in the season, it's a crap signing for a whining average at best player.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I really like the Casspi signing...

Just in terms of basketball fit, it's good but not great. There aren't a lot of minutes at SF left to go around with Rudy expected to play a lot and Derrick Williams on the one-year "show me something" plan. If anything we just need a guy who can knock down shots in spot minutes and Omri has always been streaky, not reliable. But it's a minimum deal for an established vet with NBA talent who's maybe just looking for the right fit. That's a relative bargain. We have a young team with a lot of rotation roles still up for grabs. It doesn't cost us much to give him a shot. Also I can't stand Travis Outlaw on any level -- absolutely hate the way that guy plays -- so if there's any chance this keeps him on the bench for good I like it.

What pushes it over the top for me into "great" territory is that Casspi sought out our organization and said he wants to wear that jersey again. That's pretty special. A lot of things went sour in the waning days of Maloof tyranny, but I do faintly remember Casspi and Tyreke giving us hope in an otherwise miserable 09-10 season before high expectations and cheapskate management brought everything crashing back down again. Perhaps that's why I still remember Casspi more fondly than most. Sure some of the blame is on him, but he's coming back now older and wiser and hungry to prove something. I'd like to see him succeed with "Kings" written across his chest. Cause maybe in some small way his redemption would also be redemption for those doomed final Maloof squads who were so mismanaged they never really had a chance.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't know if everyone else has forgotten, but in the early days of Casspi's rookie year, he actually showed an inclination to play defense. Of course he was soundly discouraged from doing that, but the spark just might still be buried in there somewhere. :)

I don't know if everyone else has forgotten, but in the early days of Casspi's rookie year, he actually showed an inclination to play defense. Of course he was soundly discouraged from doing that, but the spark just might still be buried in there somewhere. :)
He kinda reminded me of a young Peja during his rookie season...but with more of the defensive ability

I do not see how this signing of Omri Casspi can be bad in any sort of way....

It's a low risk signing, Casspi will not earn a significant amount of money from the Kings and he is only signed for one year, which means the risk is totally minimal.
Casspi was a member of the Kings for two straight seasons, he was picked in the draft by the Kings, his best season thus far was his rookie season where he played for the Kings, as a matter of fact, Casspi was very productive when played with the Kings, especially in his rookie season, he was playing with a lot of heart and enthusiasm and were running a lot on the court, Casspi has regressed in his second season with the Kings, I remember he was frustrated with coach Paul Westphal, but to be honest Casspi is a mediocre player in this league, but I was reading lots of comments here saying he is not talented enough for this league, it is definitely incorrect, Casspi is a decent bench player in the NBA, he is suitable player to come off the bench a contribute to the team, Casspi is a legitimate player in the NBA, this is why this is his sixth consecutive season in this league.

But don't get me wrong here, I believe Casspi was doing a mistake by deciding to leave the Kings, in retrospect I really reckon the trade request from the Kings has really affected his career, he landed in Cleveland where he finally comprehended how tough is to survive in the NBA, but I also think it molded him as a person and as a player, I think he is more mature and wiser than he was in the beginning.

To be honest, I think Casspi still has a lot to contribute in the NBA, I think him reuniting with the Kings is a smart move, his best days were with the Kings, and I sincerely hope we will be witnessing sparks from his rookie season.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I do not see how this signing of Omri Casspi can be bad in any sort of way....

It's a low risk signing, Casspi will not earn a significant amount of money from the Kings and he is only signed for one year, which means the risk is totally minimal.
Casspi was a member of the Kings for two straight seasons, he was picked in the draft by the Kings, his best season thus far was his rookie season where he played for the Kings, as a matter of fact, Casspi was very productive when played with the Kings, especially in his rookie season, he was playing with a lot of heart and enthusiasm and were running a lot on the court, Casspi has regressed in his second season with the Kings, I remember he was frustrated with coach Paul Westphal, but to be honest Casspi is a mediocre player in this league, but I was reading lots of comments here saying he is not talented enough for this league, it is definitely incorrect, Casspi is a decent bench player in the NBA, he is suitable player to come off the bench a contribute to the team, Casspi is a legitimate player in the NBA, this is why this is his sixth consecutive season in this league.

But don't get me wrong here, I believe Casspi was doing a mistake by deciding to leave the Kings, in retrospect I really reckon the trade request from the Kings has really affected his career, he landed in Cleveland where he finally comprehended how tough is to survive in the NBA, but I also think it molded him as a person and as a player, I think he is more mature and wiser than he was in the beginning.

To be honest, I think Casspi still has a lot to contribute in the NBA, I think him reuniting with the Kings is a smart move, his best days were with the Kings, and I sincerely hope we will be witnessing sparks from his rookie season.
Well, in fairness to Omri, that was a lose-lose trade for all sides involved.

Well, in fairness to Omri, that was a lose-lose trade for all sides involved.
And I am not going to deny it, you are definitely right, a very abortive trade for both Sacramento and Cleveland, I think it would have been best for both Casspi and Hickson if they stayed on their teams, Casspi's career since that trade is going through ups and downs, very inconsistent, I hope he will find his place here in Sacramento.

CK: Lastly, is there anything new in regards to signing Omri Casspi?

PD: No, nothing new. We’ll continue to have discussions. He had a really good run when he was here. And we see him as a very talented player, a really talented player.
- See more at: http://cowbellkingdom.com/pete-dale...ffseason-moves/#sthash.cxi22q3m.ulyTYB9O.dpuf

In article today in interview with PDA

We went from "in process of finalizing deal" to "We'll continue to have discussions"

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

gunks

Hall of Famer
I clicked on this thread, already prepared to post a snarky "Where is the 'Meh' option?".... And lo! There it was!

You can't really get mad at a 1 year vet minimum deal. I was initially, but that was more over roster space...Now that we have Moreland locked up, I'm less peeved about that.

Omri is what he is. If he can scrap and hit an open 3 from time to time he'll be a decent deep bench guy. I have zero expectations of him being more than that.

So....Meh.