Report: Kings finalizing sign and trade with Suns for Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a way to match that. You don't have the caproom? Every other team can work around it. Find a way.

Another poor evaluation of someone's value. Wether you like IT or not, that is a contract you find a way to keep. Despite whatever garbage he spouts, he's clearly ok with coming off the considering he signed for a bench role.

Can't help but go back to declining the chance to have Lopez. Signing Landry. Drafting back to back SG's. Dropping Evans without giving much effort towards keeping him.

If he didn't make that Rudy Gay trade he'd have nothing but poor decisions to fall back on.

Everyone should be upset. Blown asset.

Lowe was spot on. No direction. No plan.

Thank you! Mully is angling his way to gm this team. We are gonna be gsw north soon. Mark my words!

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
The Traded Player Exception isn't an asset guys, it's an exception to the normal cap rules. You can make any trade the same way you normally would but whereas normally we could only take back 125% in salary as what we send out, we can now take back 125% plus 7 million. That means us sending out 3 million and taking back 11 million (4+7 million exception) works under the salary cap rules. It can be one player or multiple players going each way in the trade. It's only the salary numbers which have to match.

If this updated CBA FAQ is correct, nothing was changed in the new CBA which changes the way Traded Player Exceptions work.

Find a way to match that. You don't have the caproom? Every other team can work around it. Find a way.

Another poor evaluation of someone's value. Wether you like IT or not, that is a contract you find a way to keep. Despite whatever garbage he spouts, he's clearly ok with coming off the considering he signed for a bench role.

Can't help but go back to declining the chance to have Lopez. Signing Landry. Drafting back to back SG's. Dropping Evans without giving much effort towards keeping him.

If he didn't make that Rudy Gay trade he'd have nothing but poor decisions to fall back on.

Everyone should be upset. Blown asset.

Lowe was spot on. No direction. No plan.

Thank you! Mully is angling his way to gm this team. We are gonna be gsw north soon. Mark my words!

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Really, look at it like this.

We have one year with a competent role-playing PG to see if Cousins and Gay works.
Next year we'll have cap space. We'll have this TPE coming into the draft and free agency period to use, if we haven't executed it before. I don't think we are going to lure a big name here but I think we can use this space and the exception to bring talent in via trade.

We'll probably get Gay at a more reasonable salary or we'll cut the cord depending on how it works.

We'll probably see some minor moves in the interim.

We got rid of a very talented player who was clearly a locker room cancer. Maybe even JT is happier with IT gone. JT is a valuable 3rd big man who may still be forced to start. I think getting him happy would be a plus.

We didn't get a miracle fix for a team that was a huge mess but I think I see a team that is hoping to make its real splash around the same time a new arena opens. I know that doesn't make up for the last 10 years of suck but I think that's what we're seeing.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
would be true hrd, but the problem is we're not just capped out, we are luxury taxed out. If we could get to the point where we were over the cap, but still $7+mil below the tax limit I would agree with you. Be most useful. As is...what do you think the odds are a team with cap space would be willing to accept a Carl Landry for nothing trade to help us out. :)
We're not luxury taxed out until the end of the season. I don't see the value into continuing to assume the worst at this point. I know it's been part and parcel of being a Kings fan for a long time, but I'm just gonna sit back and wait and see what else happens. I'm pretty sure PDA and everyone else in the front office is more intimately concerned with salary cap and luxury tax than any of us.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Alex Oriakhi

@ 1min 35sec thru the video:
"I'm looking to come in and do the dirty work, rebound, defend, I love being physical and the NBA is physical; this suits me very well. I feel I have a high monitor when it comes to rebounding and you need to have a motor to do that, especially for my position."
THIS IS WHAT WE'VE BEEN WANTING! A body that wants to "do the dirty work - rebound, defend." Good grief, folks. Give the guy a chance. The "gerbil" may have just snuck one over on the Suns.

THIS IS WHAT WE'VE BEEN WANTING! A body that wants to "do the dirty work - rebound, defend." Good grief, folks. Give the guy a chance. The "gerbil" may have just snuck one over on the Suns.
Only you can turn a guy unlikely to ever play meaningful minutes in an NBA game into something positive. Sometimes, I wish had your glass 3/4 full outlook.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
He may want to do the right things and have the right attitude. He's also a guy who averaged 6pts 6rebs in the D-League last year. 50 games of it.

The irony here is he's the guy Drummond squashed at UConn. So of course being the Sacramento Kings we blow off Drummond, and a couple of years later pick up the guy who's career he stepped on.

The TPE is an actual asset we could use. But that depends on us somehow making other moves to free that cap room.

The Traded Player Exception isn't an asset guys, it's an exception to the normal cap rules. You can make any trade the same way you normally would but whereas normally we could only take back 125% in salary as what we send out, we can now take back 125% plus 7 million. That means us sending out 3 million and taking back 11 million (4+7 million exception) works under the salary cap rules. It can be one player or multiple players going each way in the trade. It's only the salary numbers which have to match.

If this updated CBA FAQ is correct, nothing was changed in the new CBA which changes the way Traded Player Exceptions work.
sorry its #88 on that FAQ

hrdboild

Staff member
would be true hrd, but the problem is we're not just capped out, we are luxury taxed out. If we could get to the point where we were over the cap, but still $7+mil below the tax limit I would agree with you. Be most useful. As is...what do you think the odds are a team with cap space would be willing to accept a Carl Landry for nothing trade to help us out. :)
I think I've found the offending rule:

Starting in 2013-14, teams cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade transaction (see question number 91) if their team salary is above the apron at the conclusion of the trade. (link)
Looks like the hard cap restriction is limited to sign-and-trade transactions. For all other trades, the usual 125% rule applies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
He may want to do the right things and have the right attitude. He's also a guy who averaged 6pts 6rebs in the D-League last year. 50 games of it.

The irony here is he's the guy Drummond squashed at UConn. So of course being the Sacramento Kings we blow off Drummond, and a couple of years later pick up the guy who's career he stepped on.

The TPE is an actual asset we could use. But that depends on us somehow making other moves to free that cap room.
You can't talk me out of my good mood about this.

Who's to say that Collison/B-Mac doesn't explode this year, like Dragic and Bledsoe last year? We haven't played one minute of basketball yet.
If they do explode, or Ben does show any considerable improvement, that would be exactly why you don't draft SG's back to back with your top picks.

It would not be surprising at all the see Ben look somewhat competent this year. He's young. 2nd season. And for a FO and coach who've appeared to be very high on him, drafting Stauskas remains highly questionable, not because of Stauskas himself, but given our needs and last year's draft.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The only place I've heard the IT starting thing is from Bruski which just feels like saving face from all his "only the Kings don't see him as a starter" nonsense.
Oh, ok then.

Yeah, tells me all I need to know about that report. maybe with some luck this trade means that Bruski will follow IT on down to Phoeniix in his continuing efforts to mate with him and leave us alone. What a tool.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
In bizarro world the Seattle Supersonics are shedding "talent" they don't want and being hailed as geniuses for it.

The narrative is that we are a joke franchise and everything we do is a joke. That's why NO can be lambasted for overpaying for a mediocre talent like Reke while simultaneously the Kings can be blasted for letting a franchise player slip away.

It's why Danny Ainge can throw away an entire season (and miss the top of the lottery) and make a TPE trade right as the exception expires, for a draft pick and role players and be heralded as a genius while the Kings can trade a locker room cancer with shiny stats for a similar exception and have completely lost the plot.]

I'm sorry I don't buy it. If this were the NFL I'd expect a quick one year turn around but we can't do that in this league with a restrictive cap and guaranteed salaries.

hrdboild

Staff member
sorry its #88 on that FAQ
That question is about combining multiple salary cap exceptions, not combining Traded Player Exceptions with players. A trade exception is not a salary, it merely allows you to circumvent the usual rules for acquiring salary in a trade. In our case (over the salary cap) our limit is 125%. Now it's 125% plus 7 million.

Last edited:
I think that's a very doable contract for IT. Whatever reason the Kings had for not matching it would have to do with their plans. If IT refused to come off the bench then I guess they just didn't want to commit long term to him. It was a waste of a valuable asset though.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
At least this thing is settled finally. Addition by subtraction. Now lets see what else is out there. We need a starting 4/5 next to Cousins. Top choice is Hibbert!
This is the way I feel and I'm not going to debate it. The Kings lost IT. The Kings became a better team. I don't feel so negative that this is a talent bleed and we can't afford to do this. We have talent on the team. Some of it is unproven but we have Cuz and Gay. We also have Stauskas who I think will prove to be a very good player. We have a 50/50 chance of having very good players in Ben and DWill. I have more faith in Ben than DWill but that's just an opinion that can be backed up by nothing. Landry (groan) will contribute offensively.

I am happy with the loss of IT. For those of you who thought "we" were delusional about his worth, he did NOT get an outrageous salary like some were thinking.

If this new guy is really 6'9", we may have the biggest set of 6'9"-6'11" players in the league. The good thing about that is that a 6'9" player is easier to trade than a 6' player. Tall people have value.

Might as well add that to have traded him at the trade deadline assumes we had a trade partner. As we would have needed to match salaries, it might even have been a little complex. I'm not going to complain on an assumption that the FO missed out on something when I don't know the details.

Jason Thompson and $7 mil TPE to Detroit for Josh Smith works out and gets PDA the shot blocker/ stretch 4 he is rumored to want.

Jason Thompson and $7 million TPE for Larry Sanders also works, gets PDA a shot blocker.

This TPE will be used and I think very soon. Just be patient.

Vivek wants big changes and to challenge for the playoffs ASAP and I think it will come sooner rather than later.

Jason Thompson and $7 mil TPE to Detroit for Josh Smith works out and gets PDA the shot blocker/ stretch 4 he is rumored to want.

Jason Thompson and $7 million TPE for Larry Sanders also works, gets PDA a shot blocker.

This TPE will be used and I think very soon. Just be patient.

Vivek wants big changes and to challenge for the playoffs ASAP and I think it will come sooner rather than later.
No the TPE can not be combined.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
If we are allowed to combine the TPE with salary out than it needs to be for someone other than JT who may not like being the third big right away but probably will accept it if he is used correctly and without IT hogging the ball. Especially since the other teams get rid of players they don't want and shed salary.

Otherwise who is our backup center?

That question is about combing multiple salary cap exceptions, not combing Traded Player Exceptions with players. A trade exception is not a salary, it merely allows you to circumvent the usual rules for acquiring salary in a trade. In our case (over the salary cap) our limit is 125%. Now it's 125% plus 7 million.
From #88

A rule of thumb is that a trade exception can only be used to acquire a player making up to the amount of the exception plus $100,000.

In some cases, teams have up to one year to acquire the replacement player(s) to complete a trade. These trades are considered non-simultaneous. In a non-simultaneous trade, a team can acquire only up to 100% plus $100,000 of the outgoing salary1 (as opposed to a higher amount in a simultaneous trade). A trade in which salaries are aggregated (see question number 84) cannot be non-simultaneous.

Last edited:
The kick the can down the road defense of our FO always makes me chuckle. The same people that used that defense for years with Geoff and the Maloofs now urge us to be patient since the new guys have so much crap to clean up. At some point moves need to make sense is ways beyond "let's see what they do in the future".

I get the positive approach to things. Just frustrates me when we can see where the moves/lack of moves are going apparently before guys paid to do this.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
The contracts we have right now aren't horrible. Landry is overpaid, but it's not a laughably overpaid contract. We just have too many PFs that aren't good enough, which leads me to believe that we still have more moves that we will make. Our PG position isn't horrible by any stretch of the imagination, neither is SG. SF and C is where most of the money is tied up and the rest at PF. We need to clear the PF slot up, maybe then we will be able to make some sense of what is going on.
I happen to agree with you. Maybe we should form a club for self protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.