Kings sign Darren Collison

The more I think about this, the more I like this signing. With IT as a starter, he dominates the ball so much that none of our other guards get any play and get any development. I really look forward to see how McLemore and Stauskas (esp McLemore) play next year with Collison. I think we will improve on our win total next year, even if we don't do any other move. Collison was a quality backup who contributed on playoff teams, whereas IT was IMO just a scorer on a bad team. with IT as starter, it's going to be 28 wins again next year. With that said, I'd still love to see IT back as a back sparkplug PG for a reasonable price. If not, then a sign and trade.

I think it's a good signing! Finally some D! And I'm pretty sure Collison will be better than people expect for this team.

Then, they didn't compromise their leverage at all for a s&t. Detroit is desperately trying to trade Smith. Monroe does not want him there. Van Gundy knows he's not a SF. So, if this is really what they were talking about, this deal is still on the table. Detroit can't wait to get rid of Smith.

I still have real question marks in regards to Smith. He scares the hell out of me.

I almost feel as though the Kings HAVE to make that move because it's the only way to even suggest the team could be better next season. If they stand pat now, there is no hope for next year. Smith is a swing for the fences move that may blow up, but the potential is there. There is no potential here right now.

The Kings are in a desperate spot, and that's dangerous.

Now, if you could give them Landry instead of Thompson you would make a lot of my concerns go away, because you have to make that deal. With Thompson and Isaiah .. I think that's too much for Smith considering the gamble. And that doesn't even mean I'd say no to it, but that is a tough call.

I still have real question marks in regards to Smith. He scares the hell out of me.

I almost feel as though the Kings HAVE to make that move because it's the only way to even suggest the team could be better next season. If they stand pat now, there is no hope for next year. Smith is a swing for the fences move that may blow up, but the potential is there. There is no potential here right now.

Now, if you could give them Landry instead of Thompson you would make a lot of my concerns go a
way, because you have to make that deal. With Thompson and Isaiah .. I think that's too much for Smith considering the gamble. And that doesn't even mean I'd say no to it, but that is a tough call.
Agree completely. Detroit still doesn't have the cap space to sign him to an 8+ deal plus there is motivation to move smith . Send it and Landry there and it sounds like a win win, with some risk for both sides .

Considering this signing happened about a day after Livingston, Id be willing to bet money this was plan B to Livingston plan A.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
When I think of Collison I just have to think of boring. The guy is a solid citizen, a good worker, a good character guy, all good things. As far as his play is concerned, you never have to worry about him shooting too much; he's about as conservative as you can get. He's quick and fast, but typically he doesn't play as quick or fast as his measurements would indicate. He's a mechanical paint-by-the- numbers point guard. On court real time decisions don't come naturally to him. He's a pretty good defender. He's rarely going to win a game for you. His aim is not to lose games. Sometimes when you watch him you're not going to know he's in the game. He'll pick a spot or two in the game to do something, but he's not the type that is going to put constant pressure on the opposing defense. Opposing teams are not going to fear playing against Collison.

Hopefully, the Kings will be fortunate enough to deal with a team on an IT sign and trade in which they can get something of value. If IT ends up in LA, then that would be a major screw job because they have nothing of value. We'll see...

Now, if you could give them Landry instead of Thompson you would make a lot of my concerns go away, because you have to make that deal. With Thompson and Isaiah .. I think that's too much for Smith considering the gamble. And that doesn't even mean I'd say no to it, but that is a tough call.
i haven't weighed in on the josh smith rumors yet at kf.com, but i have to say that he scares me, too. rudy gay earned a reputation as a player who is prone to chucking inefficient jumpers, but as a second option in sacramento, he's been largely successful thus far in curtailing those habits. i think it helps that he's a coachable talent...

josh smith, on the other hand, scares me because he's a goddamn knucklehead. i don't know how easy it would be to coach his bad habits out of him, and i'm not particularly fond of pairing demarcus cousins with a frontcourt partner who has a penchant for frustrating his team top-to-bottom. DMC is just starting to smooth out some of his own poor behaviors, after all...

the kings need to build a workable chemistry, and i'd hate to see them take steps backward on that front. if josh smith were to come to sacramento in a sign-and-trade for isaiah thomas, i'd give it a chance, but it would make me all kinds of nervous...

Of course until Detroit resolves their Greg Monroe RFA status, I don't think IT offer or S&T offer will happen
So It may be in IT's court as to whether he looks at other (Smaller) offers instead of waiting for the Detroit 8 mil offer?

Collison fits with our team MUCH MUCH better than IT does. Not to mention he can play a little bit of defense and he's stronger and taller than IT.

Having Collison here allows Gay and Cousins to dominate the ball more which is what we want!!! Collisons stats wont be the same as IT's but I bet you we're a better team.

not surprising, considering the considerable amount of unneccessary hate (Yes, hate) that IT got around here, that this is the move people like that the FO has made. If we resign IT, this is an excellent move and vastly improves our PG position. If not, then we took a huge step backwards and are going to have a lot of fun watching the offense stall.

One thing that this FO has been extremely good about is covering themselves encase an asset doesn't work out. Saw it with Stauskas to protect themselves in Ben busts. Now see it here with signing Collison encase IT is gone.

When I think of Collison I just have to think of boring. The guy is a solid citizen, a good worker, a good character guy, all good things. As far as his play is concerned, you never have to worry about him shooting too much; he's about as conservative as you can get. He's quick and fast, but typically he doesn't play as quick or fast as his measurements would indicate. He's a mechanical paint-by-the- numbers point guard. On court real time decisions don't come naturally to him. He's a pretty good defender. He's rarely going to win a game for you. His aim is not to lose games. Sometimes when you watch him you're not going to know he's in the game. He'll pick a spot or two in the game to do something, but he's not the type that is going to put constant pressure on the opposing defense. Opposing teams are not going to fear playing against Collison.

Hopefully, the Kings will be fortunate enough to deal with a team on an IT sign and trade in which they can get something of value. If IT ends up in LA, then that would be a major screw job because they have nothing of value. We'll see...
sometimes boring isn't so bad. the kings once famously traded the electric jason williams for a mechanical paint-by-numbers point guard in mike bibby. now, i'm not directly comparing bibby and collison, or even jason williams and isaiah thomas; i bring it up only to say that fit matters, and with rudy gay opting in, it was difficult to envision a long-term scenario in which isaiah thomas could continue to start for the kings at the price he would command...

in my opinion, the key to the collison signing has nothing to do with collison himself. i think the key is in just how much impact either nik stauskas or ben mclemore can have as offensive threats in the coming seasons. if one of them develops into a legitimate dead-eye from beyond the arc, then the fact that collison isn't "going to put constant pressure on the opposing defense" doesn't matter nearly as much. cousins, gay, and stauskas would be providing most of that pressure, and collison would be providing support as a utility roleplayer who knows when and where to pick his spots. that's just good offensive balance on a team with a more traditional first option in demarcus cousins...

but again, it's dependent on the kings' incredibly young SG's, and it's risky to put so much faith in players with so little nba experience. if stauskas pulls a mclemore in year 1, then this is all just academic, and we can expect another sub-30 win season. one of them has to contribute from beyond the arc for this team to take steps forward, especially if the kings continue to employ so many non-defensive personnel...

I wouldn't go on twitter, If you don't want to see the kings "ripped" every journalist (who probably watch the Kings twice a year) are getting their fill.

That's why I like him.. He gets good minutes in a lot of playoff games. The best word I can use for him is SOLID. He really doesn't have much of a weakness in the type of game we are going to use him in. Will he make anyone better? I think so. Just because he won't dominate the ball like IT did.

I have a feeling that he will put of the same stats as he always does (12ppm 4 or 5apg and 3rpg) but others on the team will be better because he's not going to dominate the ball.

Bill Simmons can go f*** himself. That guy takes every opportunity he has to rip the Kings. He's a big reason why we're seen as such a joke to the rest of the NBA.
Uhh, I'd say a big reason that we have been known as a joke is because of past ownership and simply because our team sucked. Simmons sucks, but it's not like he's the major reason why we're are looked at as a joke.

Bill Simmons can go f*** himself. That guy takes every opportunity he has to rip the Kings. He's a big reason why we're seen as such a joke to the rest of the NBA.
it's not just simmons; most journalists who cover the nba nationally like to take their shots at the kings, and for good reason: this team has been a notoriously bad joke for almost a decade now. the maloofs ran the kings into the ground, and the new guys are experiencing plenty of growing pains as they try to rebuild both the team and its brand. apart from that, the kings are eight seasons removed from the playoffs, which is the second-longest such drought in the nba, behind only the timberwolves. until this team starts winning, expect the criticism to continue. it's that simple...

Glenn

Hall of Famer
This idea that we are bleeding talent is BS. Remember Rudy Gay? That's not a talent bleed. Our team is in much better shape than the beginning of last year. I don't want IT and never have. Now all we needed, after getting Gay and Stauskas, is a PG who will distribute the ball and play some defense. We have enough shooters in the starting lineup and don't need a PG who will stifle them. We also have to consider the salary situation. We are bumping up against the luxury tax and with IT's popularity, we might even have to go over the luxury tax to retain him. This is all we could do. It's fine.

IT was fun. Now maybe we will win.

The Kings are a better team.

I wouldn't go on twitter, If you don't want to see the kings "ripped" every journalist (who probably watch the Kings twice a year) are getting their fill.
No, it just shows how unbelieveably biased towards IT some (quite a few) on this forum are towards IT. Actual professionals know the value of Thomas and know this is a stupid move if meant to replace him

Really like the starting 5 as it is. I'm just hoping we spend the rest of time building the bench. That's our biggest need at the moment, IMO.

Most of it is silly nonsense. One guy mocked the Kings for wanting to spend more money on Collison than IT. As if that was even a choice.

I personally can't wait for Bruski to weigh in.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
sometimes boring isn't so bad. the kings once famously traded the electric jason williams for a mechanical paint-by-numbers point guard in mike bibby. now, i'm not directly comparing bibby and collison, or even jason williams and isaiah thomas; i bring it up only to say that fit matters, and with rudy gay opting in, it was difficult to envision a long-term scenario in which isaiah thomas could continue to start for the kings at the price he would command...

in my opinion, the key to the collison signing has nothing to do with collison himself. i think the key is in just how much impact either nik stauskas or ben mclemore can have as offensive threats in the coming seasons. if one of them develops into a legitimate dead-eye from beyond the arc, then the fact that collison isn't "going to put constant pressure on the opposing defense" doesn't matter nearly as much. cousins, gay, and stauskas would be providing most of that pressure, and collison would be providing support as a utility roleplayer who knows when and where to pick his spots. that's just good offensive balance on a team with a more traditional first option in demarcus cousins...

but again, it's dependent on the kings' incredibly young SG's, and it's risky to put so much faith in players with so little nba experience. if stauskas pulls a mclemore in year 1, then this is all just academic, and we can expect another sub-30 win season. one of them has to contribute from beyond the arc for this team to take steps forward, especially if the kings continue to employ so many non-defensive personnel...
This is what I meant. We are stuck with young SGs but Stauskas can be a star. I love this pick up and suspect IT will have his dreams answered and will be a Laker.

No, it just shows how unbelieveably biased towards IT some (quite a few) on this forum are towards IT. Actual professionals know the value of Thomas and know this is a stupid move if meant to replace him
Respect the opinion but I disagree, I'll take the views of someone who watches the Kings religiously rather than some "National" journalist for Bleacher Report who looks at stats when the Kings make a move and hasn't seen us play since 2002.

That's why I like him.. He gets good minutes in a lot of playoff games. The best word I can use for him is SOLID. He really doesn't have much of a weakness in the type of game we are going to use him in. Will he make anyone better? I think so. Just because he won't dominate the ball like IT did.

I have a feeling that he will put of the same stats as he always does (12ppm 4 or 5apg and 3rpg) but others on the team will be better because he's not going to dominate the ball.
Yup. He'll also be a very solid 'culture' and locker room guy. We won't be wondering if he's having a shouting match with Cousins after a tough loss. Yes, this matters for team chemistry