Updated Draft and Draft Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Missing one big thing.. Chemistry and they all accepted their roles. Wouldn't work here unless everyone stopped thinking about their own numbers and played team ball.

Remember it took two seasons for the Webber/Divac Kings to make it out of the first round. We were a 7th and then an 8th seed if I remember correctly before being a top 4 seed and winning against Phoenix in a series.
A few things I would say are missing, chemistry for sure, but also shooting and depth. Allen and Pierce could definitely stretch the defense. Just like Bibby, Christie, and Peja could stretch the defense. A lineup of Rondo, SG, Gay, Smith, and Cousins there really is no way to prevent the defense from clogging the lane. This lineup wins with defensive stops, rebounds, and many transition opportunities, fun to watch for sure.

Also there would be no bench at all at this point which were very important to those other teams.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Conditioning and cutting down the fouls will help that. I trust he'll continue to work on those things.
I think fouls are more significant than weight in limiting his minutes. Let's remember he IS big and can't hustle 100% of the time and have enough energy to be effective on the court. Another reason for having another defensive big.

Per Chad Ford, Kings continuing to be very active in talks with Boston, Milwaukee, Philadelphia, and Phoenix.

Boston: This is interesting as I don't see us moving up in the draft so this seems like another play to try to get Rondo. My guess is the Kings don't want to give up McLemore, unfortunately, since we can't trade any other draft picks besides this year's we don't have many more assets to trade.

Milwaukee: Can't see us moving up, especially into top 2 so this most likely is a Henson deal. They have said that they are looking for a big man defender who is long and can block shots, this would be that guy.

Philadelphia: Not really sure here. After the top 8 players we kind of drop into the next tier of talent, I don't think we would drop out of that tier just to grab a second round pick, unless they really are set on McDermott, Payton, or Stauskas anyway and feel they can get some value by dropping just two spots back.

Phoenix: Probably the easiest to guess. Multiple first and second round picks.

Milwaukee: Can't see us moving up, especially into top 2 so this most likely is a Henson deal. They have said that they are looking for a big man defender who is long and can block shots, this would be that guy.
Probably Sanders more than Henson. Sanders was out almost all last year, was not as productive ast the year before, and has had off court issues. Sanders is also sitting on a good sized contract that may turn out to be hard to move if he has another down year. Sanders gets traded before Henson.

Philadelphia: Not really sure here. After the top 8 players we kind of drop into the next tier of talent, I don't think we would drop out of that tier just to grab a second round pick, unless they really are set on McDermott, Payton, or Stauskas anyway and feel they can get some value by dropping just two spots back.
Some rumors said Jrue Holiday for 8.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Per Chad Ford, Kings continuing to be very active in talks with Boston, Milwaukee, Philadelphia, and Phoenix.

Boston: This is interesting as I don't see us moving up in the draft so this seems like another play to try to get Rondo. My guess is the Kings don't want to give up McLemore, unfortunately, since we can't trade any other draft picks besides this year's we don't have many more assets to trade.

Phoenix: Probably the easiest to guess. Multiple first and second round picks.
Philly is possibly them pushing Thaddeus Young for JT & the #8 or some such.

Thad is a sold player, and unfortunately he's done well against the Kings, which in the old Petrie tradition meant you go get him. But he's another one of the East's WNBA sized "power" forwards, was drafted as a small forward, and boards like it. It would fit into Vivek's mythological positionless stuff, but that is just amateur hour when the big boys beat on your head.

You know what we call positionless basketball advocates from Golden State? Nellie. Not so surprising an owner who came in through that sickness could catch the disease himself while he was learning Nellie's guaranteed to never win anything philosophy.

Nevertheless, that would be a guess what would be going on. Thad is obviously proven, he puts us in the stupid Orlando tradition of surround your big man with small soft crap, and we can say we didn't risk the pick on another rookie bust. Meanwhile JT gets to go home.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Probably Sanders more than Henson. Sanders was out almost all last year, was not as productive ast the year before, and has had off court issues. Sanders is also sitting on a good sized contract that may turn out to be hard to move if he has another down year. Sanders gets traded before Henson.

Some rumors said Jrue Holiday for 8.
If Philly finds a way to trade Jrue Holiday to us here, then they truly have the GOAT GM. :)

I'm sure that Milwaukee would much rather move Sanders than Henson, but that may be hard to do at this point. I don't think they could get the #8 for just Sanders. They have also already said that Henson was available for the right price.

Jrue Holiday is actually on New Orleans now, Philadelphia traded him to there during the draft last year.

If Philly finds a way to trade Jrue Holiday to us here, then they truly have the GOAT GM. :)

hell yah.. I can see how that call would go with the Hornet GM. He would explain how Jrue and Evans can do a lot of the same things then say "look at all the salary you could cut if you give the Kings Jrue. Hmmmmmm..

dude12

Hall of Famer
I was checking out ESPN lead up coverage to the draft and Jay Bilas' big board has the usual 8 in the first 8 spots, followed by McDermott at 9 and then Zach Lavine surprisingly at 10. Hadn't seen Lavine that high and Bilas usually has decent insight fwiw. If we trade down for multiple 1sts maybe he is a guy Sac gets in midround.

Philly has #10 too.

houston just shipped asik to new orleans for a 2015 pick. no mention of protection on pick.
The draft pick included in the deal has protections. It will go to the Rockets if it falls between picks 4-19.

A lottery pick this year and likely a lottery pick next year...

Seems like a lot to give up considering Houston was/is desperate to unload Asik and Lin quickly for a chance at Lebron/Melo.

Last edited:
If PDA does manage to get at least one of Embiid/Josh Smith/Rondo (and better yet more than one) I will be very pleased with him. It may not work out in the end, but it at least shows an attempt to address real needs and improve the team. Personally I have no issue with giving up McLemore for one of those guys. He's young but underperformed last season. In addition, Malone's system doesn't seem to require a very talented SG as opposed to a 3 and D guy.

Tomorrows gonna be a fun day. (Draft is tomorrow for me)

@WojYahooNBA: Orlando has agreed to send Arron Afflalo to Denver for Evan Fournier and 56th pick in 2014 Draft, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

And this is why I keep saying trading the 8th pick and Ben is just too much for some of the guys we say we want. Players can be had for less.

Rumor once again has us looking to get Rondo for at least the 8 pick. I don't see anything about ben, but we would need fillers for the contracts. Also, rumor has it we are interested in shaun livingston if IT leaves

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Rumor once again has us looking to get Rondo for at least the 8 pick. I don't see anything about ben, but we would need fillers for the contracts. Also, rumor has it we are interested in shaun livingston if IT leaves
If we aren't offering Ben, I'm assuming we'd have to offer all three of our expirings + take Wallace's contract as well AND to make the numbers work, we'd probably need to give them Landry or Thompson, something I wouldn't be all that broken up about.

@WojYahooNBA: Orlando has agreed to send Arron Afflalo to Denver for Evan Fournier and 56th pick in 2014 Draft, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

And this is why I keep saying trading the 8th pick and Ben is just too much for some of the guys we say we want. Players can be had for less.
That's all for Affalo? So Asik gets moved in a salary dump, Affalo for this and Kings just keep getting mentioned in pipe dream scenarios for players who most likely won't sign back. Last time I checked they needed a defensive big and some perimeter defenders that can shoot...well 2 players that fit the bill just got dealt for garbage.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Denver is apparently intent on being as mediocre as possible for as long as possible. As they are, they're currently a collection of good role players, undersized small ballers, and Javale McGee. Does their front office get a bonus if they pick in the 10-15 range every year or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.