Low key free agents to keep your eyes on

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I don't pretend to know the situation in Memphis, but when Randolph is eating up 34/35 minutes a game, that doesn't leave many minutes for Davis. That's sort of like saying that Aaron Gray sucks (which in this case is true) because he can't get any minutes behind Cousins.
He couldn't pull any minutes while Gasol was out either.

The per minute numbers continue to look solid, but his inability to carve out even a main rotation role now after 4 years is a real concern. Wouldn't mind seeing him come on board, but we have very little evidence he's any better than JT or Reggie at this point. I'd be ok, but not thrilled, if that were the frontcourt foursome: Cousins/JT/Reggie/Davis. But without dumping Landry its not affordable, and might just amount to Cousins and 3 random mediocres again. Sure would be nice to team him with just 1 impact helpmate, then fill in with the mediocres afterward.

I think the draft will dictate the Kings FA market. If we get a big in Embiid, Vonleh or Randal, look for PDA to get some PG help on the cheaper contract than IT will command.

1) Darren Collison- has been a solid backup PG in league behind Chris Paul. Can see PDA going after him once IT gets overpaid somewhere else. Could step in as a starter until McCallum is ready. Could be poised for a breakout year like Goran Dragic.

2) Grevis Vasquez- Don't underestimate PDA admiration for Vasquez game. He was never really healthy here and is proving his worth in Toronto now. May be a backup plan if IT is offered a big contract elsewhere.

3) Ed Davis/ Udoh/ Samuel Dalmebert- Ed Davis would be preferable, but I don't know if PDA has a great eye for unproven talent. Dalembert might be a nice rim protector if we can't get one in the draft. And I don't think they make a big play for another forward, unless they can move JT or Landry contracts in a trade.

That Landry signing just continues to look bad. The front office really should be going hard after an Ed Davis or Jordan Hill type big to give the team energy and effort on the boards with the ability to defend past the foul line. I don't know how you unload enough PF's to make that happen.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
It has crossed my mind the last two days, with KJ now being heavily involved with the players union and garnering much respect from them, that he might potentially be our biggest FA recruiter.

Not sure to what extent he'd be willing to do that but saying a few nice things about Sac and what we're doing to the right players could have some level of an impact.

have we mentioned rodney stuckey in this thread yet? he doesn't satisfy the team's passing/defense/shooting needs, but he's low key and plays the position we need the most help at, so he's someone we should be aware of and possibly afraid of.

Last edited:
Not a fan of Davis, he got his chances but he never really worked on his body much to earn the right to bang with NBA starting bigs.

Thabo would help this team mature and be that glue guy who himself is a disciplined role model.
Anthony Morrow could also be shooter DMC has been looking.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Interesting that Brooks benches Thabo and the Thunder seem to function better. Wonder if this will make him more attainable this summer.
In this series there is nobody for Thabo to guard. Be different in a series where they are facing wings more formidable than Lee/Miller/Allen.

But yes, we could certainly use him, so by all means let's have OKC lose the series, get a little unhappy, and start bleeding pieces we need. :)

In this series there is nobody for Thabo to guard. Be different in a series where they are facing wings more formidable than Lee/Miller/Allen.

But yes, we could certainly use him, so by all means let's have OKC lose the series, get a little unhappy, and start bleeding pieces we need. :)
Sign Thabo and trade Landry/Williams for Ibaka, because it works in trade machine. Get on it PDA.

The Thabo stuff is interesting. Same reason why I rooted for the demise of Chicago and Indiana.

If Thibs moves on, those Chicago pieces will too ... Hinrich, potentially Gibson, etc.

If the Thunder lose in round one, it might be time to put Jackson in the starting lineup for good. Let Thabo go, give some room to Lamb, etc.

And with Indiana's mess .. Hibbert is right there if we're willing to take a shot on him.

Ibaka and Thabo would fit like a glove here! :D

Entity

Hall of Famer
I fully expect Ben to be getting 15 pts a game next year shooting 40+ and 30+ %. This kid is gonna get better and better. By 15-16 season he will be huge factor. I'm not sold on having to replace him.

K

KingMilz

Stuckey can actually penetrate/get to the line and post up rather than just chucking 3's and getting easy buckets in transition, if IT leaves Stuckey can be our combo guard off the bench and he can play either position unlike Thornton due to his lack of handles.

S

SacKings2002NBAChampions

I'd like to add Blair from Dallas. Great big man that offers a lot of hustle and post defense. He was superb in this series against San Antonio.

Collison actually makes a lot of sense, a guy who has been very solid for years on different teams, but I think playing alongside Chris Paul has helped him a lot. Very quick, very good defender, has improved his jumper. He is probably also looking for a stability and a solid payday too after bouncing around the league. If IT leaves Collison would be a very good, realistic signing, a guy entering his prime with all the qualities Malone is looking for.

Collison actually makes a lot of sense, a guy who has been very solid for years on different teams, but I think playing alongside Chris Paul has helped him a lot. Very quick, very good defender, has improved his jumper. He is probably also looking for a stability and a solid payday too after bouncing around the league. If IT leaves Collison would be a very good, realistic signing, a guy entering his prime with all the qualities Malone is looking for.
Collison was there in New Orleans with malone I think.

K

KingMilz

I'd like to add Blair from Dallas. Great big man that offers a lot of hustle and post defense. He was superb in this series against San Antonio.
If we didn't have Reggie I would love Blair but he's 6'6 at max which means another undersized PF and I think we got enough of those. I rememeber you saying Kyle O Quinn and I watched some Magic games and I had no idea he would block shots like he does and seems like a solid passer with a fairly money mid range J I really like his game.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Reggie already fills that role, above average man defender who's frustrating to go against and good on the glass. We however need a team defender who excels in helping from the weak-side, in rotations and altering/blocking shots. Neither does that.

S

SacKings2002NBAChampions

If we didn't have Reggie I would love Blair but he's 6'6 at max which means another undersized PF and I think we got enough of those. I rememeber you saying Kyle O Quinn and I watched some Magic games and I had no idea he would block shots like he does and seems like a solid passer with a fairly money mid range J I really like his game.
Yeah, Quinn has been my choice for a while now. He is an energetic big man who is an incredible shot blocker. It'd be hard to get him now as Magic fans kept getting annoyed with management for not starting him and he ended up starting the last 15 or so games of the season.
Could have gotten him next to nothing during all-star break.

K

KingMilz

Yeah, Quinn has been my choice for a while now. He is an energetic big man who is an incredible shot blocker. It'd be hard to get him now as Magic fans kept getting annoyed with management for not starting him and he ended up starting the last 15 or so games of the season.
Could have gotten him next to nothing during all-star break.
Yeah props to you for seeing that cause I didn't see it till it was to late. Love Quinns beard as well dude has everything going for him.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think the draft will dictate the Kings FA market. If we get a big in Embiid, Vonleh or Randal, look for PDA to get some PG help on the cheaper contract than IT will command.

1) Darren Collison- has been a solid backup PG in league behind Chris Paul. Can see PDA going after him once IT gets overpaid somewhere else. Could step in as a starter until McCallum is ready. Could be poised for a breakout year like Goran Dragic.

2) Grevis Vasquez- Don't underestimate PDA admiration for Vasquez game. He was never really healthy here and is proving his worth in Toronto now. May be a backup plan if IT is offered a big contract elsewhere.

3) Ed Davis/ Udoh/ Samuel Dalmebert- Ed Davis would be preferable, but I don't know if PDA has a great eye for unproven talent. Dalembert might be a nice rim protector if we can't get one in the draft. And I don't think they make a big play for another forward, unless they can move JT or Landry contracts in a trade.
Very difficult to see Grevis coming back to the Kings. You can't go home again with Grevis. PDA may have admired his game when he acquired him; not so much when he dealt him.

We were in the mix for Oden in het beginning of the season. Obviously it hasn't worked out (yet?) in Miami and he'll be an unrestricted FA after the season. I wouldn't be surprised if Pete brought him in, if he leaves Miami. He's had his moments this year and proved that he's still able to block and alter shots and also rebound the basketball. Although I think he won't be a 20+ minutes contributor anymore, he could be a solid backup for Cuz. Won't hurt to bring him in to take a look at him.

I think we need to make a run at Thabo, he would be a great 3-D roleplayer type with experiance, he fell off in the playoffs a bit so it would help on the price tag.

I think we need to make a run at Thabo, he would be a great 3-D roleplayer type with experiance, he fell off in the playoffs a bit so it would help on the price tag.
Would be an experienced vet to help with the culture, and definitely a defensive boost, but didn't OKC bench him because he was no longer providing the first essential "3-and-D" skill?