Kings possible draft picks game

I don't even know where to begin. Why would I draft anyone if I thought they were going to stink. What if an asteroid hits the earth tomorrow? Can we deal with facts please, and the fact are, that just about every college scout, and I agree, that Parker is going to be at minimum, a good NBA player, and at best, a superstar. Now I don't know how you watch basketball, but to my eye, he's already proven that he has very good BBIQ, is a very good athlete, and has excellent shot selection. Most of the criticism has to do with his defense, which I don't think is a big issue. Put him on a team where he doesn't have to carry the entire team, and he can concentrate on his defense, and he'll be fine.

Now you can try and lay every possible negative on him you want, but that doesn't make it true. Everyone agrees that Parker is going to be a very good basketball player, and if you have that sitting in front of you, I don't think you gamble on someone else that's a bigger risk. So let me ask you, as I make up my scenario. What if you pass on Parker and he becomes the next Durant? What then? How does Willie Cauley-Stein look to you then? The pendulum swings both ways.
Scouts also said that T-Rob was the most NBA ready player in that draft (besides Davis) and he would contribute to any team anywhere.. yet he's already been on 3 different teams and has been the rawest out of that bunch. While many also said Drummond was raw as hell and he wouldn't be anywhere near T-Rob.. look at where both are now..

You're the one who said he would be a trade commodity down the road if nothing else. I don't think it works that way. Put him on a team where he doesn't have to carry itand make him work on his defense. Basically he'd be a Quincy Acy for us, but take Gay's spot? He needs to overall improve on all aspects of his game specifically his defense. I don't understand the mentality of lacking defense, then drafting guys who play no defense. Parker is a slow lazy defender. Defense is his biggest issue more than anything.

What if Parker turns into the next Durant? How do you even know he'll develop the same with the kings. I don't like people's argument about how we should have drafted another player because he would have been better than the guy we already drafted. It all depends on player development.. look at Tyreke for example. 20-5-5 his rookie year as a pg...then what do they do next year? Move him to a SF then wonder why his numbers don't look the same. If we had drafted Kobe, he probably wouldn't have been the same great player he is today..he might have even been just another bench warmer with crazy athleticism. I don't think the kings have the best player development I pray that's only from the Maloofs era, but look at Ben. You start a rookie, then bench him that same season. I think that kills his confidence a little. What if he was drafted into a team that had a pure pg that passes... he might have been a better fit there and it might have helped his development better.

I'd be all up for drafting him if we trade Gay, Landry, and MT to get younger and better players. I like Parker but I wouldn't want the kings drafting him if we are moving forward with Gay as our SF

I like Cauley-Stein. His weakness is his offense, but his strength is his defense which I really like. He's a very good rim protector and can stop penetration to the rim. He's very quick for his huge size and is a great on man defender as well as rim protector. I think he also needs to improve on his rebounding, but that shouldn't be an issue because he has a pretty big frame. He might be the best defensive big in this draft.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Scouts also said that T-Rob was the most NBA ready player in that draft (besides Davis) and he would contribute to any team anywhere.. yet he's already been on 3 different teams and has been the rawest out of that bunch. While many also said Drummond was raw as hell and he wouldn't be anywhere near T-Rob.. look at where both are now..

You're the one who said he would be a trade commodity down the road if nothing else. I don't think it works that way. Put him on a team where he doesn't have to carry itand make him work on his defense. Basically he'd be a Quincy Acy for us, but take Gay's spot? He needs to overall improve on all aspects of his game specifically his defense. I don't understand the mentality of lacking defense, then drafting guys who play no defense. Parker is a slow lazy defender. Defense is his biggest issue more than anything.

What if Parker turns into the next Durant? How do you even know he'll develop the same with the kings. I don't like people's argument about how we should have drafted another player because he would have been better than the guy we already drafted. It all depends on player development.. look at Tyreke for example. 20-5-5 his rookie year as a pg...then what do they do next year? Move him to a SF then wonder why his numbers don't look the same. If we had drafted Kobe, he probably wouldn't have been the same great player he is today..he might have even been just another bench warmer with crazy athleticism. I don't think the kings have the best player development I pray that's only from the Maloofs era, but look at Ben. You start a rookie, then bench him that same season. I think that kills his confidence a little. What if he was drafted into a team that had a pure pg that passes... he might have been a better fit there and it might have helped his development better.

I'd be all up for drafting him if we trade Gay, Landry, and MT to get younger and better players. I like Parker but I wouldn't want the kings drafting him if we are moving forward with Gay as our SF

I like Cauley-Stein. His weakness is his offense, but his strength is his defense which I really like. He's a very good rim protector and can stop penetration to the rim. He's very quick for his huge size and is a great on man defender as well as rim protector. I think he also needs to improve on his rebounding, but that shouldn't be an issue because he has a pretty big frame. He might be the best defensive big in this draft.
I don't think you've been watching the same Jabari Parker as the rest of the world.

I don't think you've been watching the same Jabari Parker as the rest of the world.
Is this the same Jabari Parker that gave up 28pts to Flair tonight with 12-20 shooting? Parker is a horrible defender... he's a great scorer and offensive player, but no doubt a bad defender.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Is this the same Jabari Parker that gave up 28pts to Flair tonight with 12-20 shooting? Parker is a horrible defender... he's a great scorer and offensive player, but no doubt a bad defender.
He's also being asked to defend out of position a lot because of the lack of size in the Duke program right now

He's also being asked to defend out of position a lot because of the lack of size in the Duke program right now
I agree, but he can't defend any 4s. He gets overpowered by 4s, and he's not quick enough to keep up with 3s. Lack of lateral quickness is what's really killing him defensively

edit: Gilles was right on, I thought you meant overall he defends out of position. In this game, no he didn't. Flair and Grant are both SFs.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer

From this moment on, I will no longer be responding to any of your posts. I gave you my opinions. I'm not going to argue about what I believe. It appears that arguing is all your interested in, and I'm not. So take my opinion, or not, frankly I don't give a damm. I spend hours and hours watching and sometimes re-watching college games, and I don't do that so I can argue about what I've seen. (there's a difference between arguing and discussing) I do it because I love doing it, and also because maybe I can impart some knowledge to those that don't have the time or the inclination to do it. I don't do it to prove I know more than you of anyone else. I'm way past that in my life. My ego doesn't need anymore elevating. Just ask my wife.

You gave me a hypothetical, and I gave you one in return. Both bordered on the extreme, but mine was probably more realistic than yours. But both are hypothetical's. Neither are reality, thus arguing about them is insane. I don't live in a fantasy world. I don't believe in making decisions on whether something else will or won't happen (whether Gay stays or not). If you ask me who I'll draft, I'll take who I think is the best player available at that moment, regardless of who else might be on the team at the time. If I have a choice between two players that I think are equally talented, then I'll choose the one that I think best fits the needs of the team. Right now, I can't give you my choice because we're not at that moment.

What I will say, is that if you really think Parker is going to be a bust, your in the minority, and if you don't, then why the hell are you arguing about it. This has nothing to do with disagreement by the way. There are people who I disagree with, and vice versa all the time. The difference is I respect them and their opinion, even if I might disagree with it. I'm intelligent enough to know that I might be wrong about what I believe. (not often). So whats the difference. You argue for the sake of arguing, and some of it is just nonsense. Dimemaker and I may disagree on Smart, but our disagreement is based on realistic projections of his future. Neither of us thinks he'll be a failure, we just diagree on how high his upside is, and whether he'll be able to overcome some of his negatives. Gilles and I don't always see the same thing when we watch a player, but I respect his opinion. I respect it enough to sometimes go back and rewatch the game again to see if I missed something. (Usually not) :eek:

There are gray areas with just about every player, but there are some things that just aren't arguable. If someone watches just one game with Parker and then says he can't shoot the ball because he had a bad shooting night, what the hell are you supposed to say to that? That would be like Chris Webber go 2 for 22 one night and saying the same thing. The truth is, he couldn't shoot that ball that night. It happens! Things don't happen in a vacuum! A person or a player shouldn't be defined by one moment in time. Unfortunately it does happen from time to time, but he should be defined by his entire body of work. Sadly, some people will see only what they want to see. If you look for mistakes, you'll find them. In anyone doing any kind of job. You've taken Parker, a player that will probably never wear a Kings uniform, and described him as a worthless piece of crap. A bust! Quincy Acy for gods sake. Your response to my post was the most insensible, incomprehensible response possible. Words have intent, and you seem incapable of understanding my intent, and then you twist it into something that never entered my mind. Do me favor, go argue with someone else. I'm done wasting my time.

From this moment on, I will no longer be responding to any of your posts. I gave you my opinions. I'm not going to argue about what I believe. It appears that arguing is all your interested in, and I'm not. So take my opinion, or not, frankly I don't give a damm. I spend hours and hours watching and sometimes re-watching college games, and I don't do that so I can argue about what I've seen. (there's a difference between arguing and discussing) I do it because I love doing it, and also because maybe I can impart some knowledge to those that don't have the time or the inclination to do it. I don't do it to prove I know more than you of anyone else. I'm way past that in my life. My ego doesn't need anymore elevating. Just ask my wife.

You gave me a hypothetical, and I gave you one in return. Both bordered on the extreme, but mine was probably more realistic than yours. But both are hypothetical's. Neither are reality, thus arguing about them is insane. I don't live in a fantasy world. I don't believe in making decisions on whether something else will or won't happen (whether Gay stays or not). If you ask me who I'll draft, I'll take who I think is the best player available at that moment, regardless of who else might be on the team at the time. If I have a choice between two players that I think are equally talented, then I'll choose the one that I think best fits the needs of the team. Right now, I can't give you my choice because we're not at that moment.

What I will say, is that if you really think Parker is going to be a bust, your in the minority, and if you don't, then why the hell are you arguing about it. This has nothing to do with disagreement by the way. There are people who I disagree with, and vice versa all the time. The difference is I respect them and their opinion, even if I might disagree with it. I'm intelligent enough to know that I might be wrong about what I believe. (not often). So whats the difference. You argue for the sake of arguing, and some of it is just nonsense. Dimemaker and I may disagree on Smart, but our disagreement is based on realistic projections of his future. Neither of us thinks he'll be a failure, we just diagree on how high his upside is, and whether he'll be able to overcome some of his negatives. Gilles and I don't always see the same thing when we watch a player, but I respect his opinion. I respect it enough to sometimes go back and rewatch the game again to see if I missed something. (Usually not) :eek:

There are gray areas with just about every player, but there are some things that just aren't arguable. If someone watches just one game with Parker and then says he can't shoot the ball because he had a bad shooting night, what the hell are you supposed to say to that? That would be like Chris Webber go 2 for 22 one night and saying the same thing. The truth is, he couldn't shoot that ball that night. It happens! Things don't happen in a vacuum! A person or a player shouldn't be defined by one moment in time. Unfortunately it does happen from time to time, but he should be defined by his entire body of work. Sadly, some people will see only what they want to see. If you look for mistakes, you'll find them. In anyone doing any kind of job. You've taken Parker, a player that will probably never wear a Kings uniform, and described him as a worthless piece of crap. A bust! Quincy Acy for gods sake. Your response to my post was the most insensible, incomprehensible response possible. Words have intent, and you seem incapable of understanding my intent, and then you twist it into something that never entered my mind. Do me favor, go argue with someone else. I'm done wasting my time.
You're wasting your time because you didn't know how to interpret anything I was saying. I never called Parker a bust. Yea alright... that's why the last time we took BPA it turned out so well for us. I respect your opinion but these are opinions. We all have our own

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Smart is struggling with his shot, and I might add, his team isn't winning to boot. Not that I'm laying that all on him. Yesterday he scored 15 points on 3 of 14 shooting while going 0 for 7 from beyond the arc. He's still rebounding the ball at a high rate, but I think we can all agree that he won't rebound at that rate in the NBA. Right now its his ability to get to the line that's providing most of his points. He needs to correct that shot!

S

SacKings2002NBAChampions

If I had a top 3 pick, it'd be hard not to choose Embiid, Wiggins, Parker
If I was any team.
If Exum showcases his talent at the next event, he could easily go top 3 as well. Everyone else is a league below...so far

Smart is struggling with his shot, and I might add, his team isn't winning to boot. Not that I'm laying that all on him. Yesterday he scored 15 points on 3 of 14 shooting while going 0 for 7 from beyond the arc. He's still rebounding the ball at a high rate, but I think we can all agree that he won't rebound at that rate in the NBA. Right now its his ability to get to the line that's providing most of his points. He needs to correct that shot!
It is on him - he's missing a ton shots. Yesterday he showed bad temper: got angry about bad foul called against him, and went jacking up bad shots the other way. Okla St. really miss Cobbins - have no big man depth, and Smart often plays rim protector. :eek:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
It is on him - he's missing a ton shots. Yesterday he showed bad temper: got angry about bad foul called against him, and went jacking up bad shots the other way. Okla St. really miss Cobbins - have no big man depth, and Smart often plays rim protector. :eek:
This isn't the first time he's thrown a temper tantrum. I don't hold his emotions against him. I hated losing as well. But when he lets it affect his play on the court, then he has to be held accountable. He's really struggling right now, and his problem, some of it self induced, is that he's trying to do it all on his own. By the way, after watching the Michigan/Indiana game, I think we should draft Yogi Ferrell and start him next to IT. It would be an awesome backcourt. Of course no one else would ever get a shot.:eek:

Smart still looked a little lost last night vs Iowa State - 3OT loss. His confidence is shaken. Still played well on D. But his shot...man, hope he finds it.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Embiid
Vonleh
Exum* (I've seen the video; hopefully I can see him in actual game from start to finish).
Hood

Everyone of those guys is a two-way player. Everybody else, I'm lukewarm on at this point. I'm taking fit into account also. For example, it's hard for me to warm up to Parker, given the type of team the Kings have. Randle, Wiggins, Stein, Gordon and Smart all have certain risk factors that I don't see with above four players, especially Smart.

It's going to be interesting when we see these guys in the NCAAs. That's when the cream rises. That's when the coaches start putting it into the hands of the guy who they think can take it into the next round.

Embiid
Vonleh
Exum* (I've seen the video; hopefully I can see him in actual game from start to finish).
Hood

Everyone of those guys is a two-way player. Everybody else, I'm lukewarm on at this point. I'm taking fit into account also. For example, it's hard for me to warm up to Parker, given the type of team the Kings have. Randle, Wiggins, Stein, Gordon and Smart all have certain risk factors that I don't see with above four players, especially Smart.

It's going to be interesting when we see these guys in the NCAAs. That's when the cream rises. That's when the coaches start putting it into the hands of the guy who they think can take it into the next round.
You will... in the NBA. :)
Wonder, what the weight status for Clint Capela. If he's putting on (and are able to add much more) more power, I'd add him to your otherwise reasonable list. He's currently listed at 211, but I believe it's too low after looking at the highlights of last few games. Capela just had 7 ast/0 TO game, plus usual 9reb/6blocks in 28 minutes.
Edit: Somehow missed Hood the first time: don't really want him. After hot start teams adjusted and/or he came down to earth, and I think he doesn't show enough offense to be mid-lottery pick.

Last edited:
Smart has been looking bad.. but again this is the same Smart who we saw last year that was projected to go in the top 3. This year he has improved, but I don't think he's a player the kings want. He's also very whiny... and on top of that he flops big time..

S

SacKings2002NBAChampions

We should consider making some trades for a couple mid-round draft picks. I feel like we might be able to scoop up a future all-star mid-round. Maybe someone like Saric (international) or even a guy like Hood who will probably go mid-round and both guys with a fairly high upside.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
You will... in the NBA. :)
Wonder, what the weight status for Clint Capela. If he's putting on (and are able to add much more) more power, I'd add him to your otherwise reasonable list. He's currently listed at 211, but I believe it's too low after looking at the highlights of last few games. Capela just had 7 ast/0 TO game, plus usual 9reb/6blocks in 28 minutes.
Edit: Somehow missed Hood the first time: don't really want him. After hot start teams adjusted and/or he came down to earth, and I think he doesn't show enough offense to be mid-lottery pick.
I haven't seen Capela. I'll have to check him out.

Would love to draft Patric Young in the 2nd, obviously would have to trade/buy a pick. He's a perfect glue guy and loves defense from the PF position.

From the same game - FL v Mizz - Jabari Brown showed nice range. Little worried about his floor game and ball handling. Reminds me a little of Mitch Richmond with his build and outside shot. But not overall...

Sky Walker: his first game back. Limited minutes, but you can see his upside. Bet he can go top 10 if he plays consistent. This guy could be a perfect fit alongside Cousins. A few years away, especially his body. Not that dunk competitions mean anything but he did beat Parker, Wiggins etc in a HS dunk comp. He's Larry Nance long and explosive. Not sure about his head and work ethic yet, but very promising if the Kings are picking in the 10 range.

Young doesn't bring anything, Acy cannot provide. Likely not relevant if Kings go big in the lottery, but Adreian Payne will be a fine pro. One of the few, who showed ability to defend Randle one-on-one, and can shoot both standstill and with one dribble, so Amir Johnson or Patrick Patterson with better defense sounds like reasonable projections.

I like Payne too.

I think Patric Young plays winning basketball. Pretty good post defender, something Acy struggles with a little due to lack of height. Don't get me wrong, I love what Acy brings but he has weaknesses.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Not a big fan of Young. I've never had a wow moment from him in his entire college career. One of those moments where you stand up and take notice. Decent athlete, with a big body, but with less than average BBIQ. To me he's a classic underachiever. However, I do like Payne. Very little chance we draft him though. I suspect he'll get drafted somewhere between 16 and 25 of the first round. Unless we somehow acquire another first round pick.

Last edited:
Young will be a good pro. A guy a team can depend on to play D and hustle off the bench. But yeah, he's steady, doesn't produce too many wow moments.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
A couple of nice games tuesday that are of note. First, Jabari Parker played very well. 27 minutes and 21 points on 8 of 10 shooting. He played a very intelligent game. Just took what was there. You can see some of the comparisons to Melo. He has a very good post up mid-range game from 15 feet in. He's almost automatic if not doubled. Yesterday he didn't try to force anything. He also had 8 rebounds, 2 steals, and 2 blocked shots. He a good fundamental rebounder. He blocks out, and on occasion, rebounds out of his area. He also has good hands. I paid particular attention to his defense, since its' become a subject of late. I thought in general his defense was pretty good. On occasion he forgets to get into a defensive position, and instead is standing straight up. That's when he has problems. But when he gets into a defensive position, he's a pretty good defender. I doubt he played much defense in highschool. Most offensive stars don't, and so its a learning situation for them. How many discussions were there about Durants defense while at Texas. Sometimes I think we over obsess about things.

Willie Cauley-Stein was terrific yesterday, after getting his butt verbally reduced by Calipari for his recent play. Calipari told him to forget about his offense, and just go play aggressive defense. The offense will come. As a result, in 29 minutes, he had 18 points, on 7 or 8 shooting, 11 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, and 6 blocked shots. Twice he was isolated on the perimeter against Ole Miss'es PG, and twice he stayed with him all the way to the basket and blocked his shot. His lateral quickness is outstanding. I lost count of how many shots he altered. When Stein plays like he did yesterday, he looks like a lottery pick. What he lacks right now is consistency from game to game. But you can see the potential there.

A player that could actually amount to something if he could lose about 20 or so pounds is Cameron Ridley of Texas. Talented kid, but at 6'9" he's hauling around something close to 290 pounds, and a lot of it isn't muscle.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I want Embiid, Exum and Cauley-Stein in that order. This is not to say any are BPA but as I have said before, projecting ahead 5 years to know who the BPA is right now is not easy especially with guys like Exum and Embiid in the draft. I would be ecstatic if we got Embiid and very happy with the other two. Maybe in 5 years, Exum will be the best and maybe Wiggins or Parker will be super studs beyond what they are now. Who knows? The only person I might gag on if we picked him is Randle even then I would be curious as to what the FO had in mind. It has absolutely nothing to do with his skills as he is very skilled. He is the only guy that is no fit whatsoever with the Kings. SGs or SFs are more versatile as to how they can be used.

Possibly Marcus Smart. If he's off the board as well, probably Aaron Gordon. After that, I am sad we didn't get a higher pick.
If the Kings draft Marcus Smart or Aaron Gordon I'll be sad that they didn't trade the pick. I'd much rather deal for a veteran or trade down and nab any number of guys I like better.

For that matter I'd prefer the Kings staying put and taking Ennis, WCS, Zach LaVine, or possibly Gary Harris over drafting either Smart or Gordon. I flat out don't like Smart's game and I'm surprised at how many excuses are given for his poor play due to "intangibles" or his size at the PG spot. I like Gordon but he's a bit of a tweener and not a good fit next to Cousins. His bounce gets him some Blake Griffin comparisons but his frame is a lot more slight and I can't see him banging with NBA PFs.

If the Kings draft Wiggins does he play the 2 and send McLemore to the bench or does he play the 3 and challenge Rudy and possibly save the Kings a ton of money?