Sacramento: Free agent magnet or hellhole? (split)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
This is why we need to be careful handling IT, or any of our other assets. We will never get good free agents to come here so trades and the draft are very important for us. The Williams trade was great because we got rid of a injury prone guy and replaced him with a young guy with upside, he is a trade asset that we bought low and can potentially sell high. IT has looked great as our 6th man, and more than solid when playing with our full roster. I think if Ray Mac can develop or we get a solid vet PG that can start and give us 20 minutes, imo that is the way to go.
At the risk of changing topics, I don't think we will never get FAs to come here. FAs didn't come here because of the horrible environment set by the Maloofs. I will go into my typical spiel and say that FAs will come here if their agents say it is OK. Fortunately there are a limited number of agents. It is up to our FO to keep in contact and tell these agents that there are major changes in how this franchise is being run. We have two exhibits that are quite obvious and one is the arena and the other is the willingness to take on Gay's salary. Our hidden treasure is Vivek. Another positive was expressed by Landry recently who said the environment and team is a whole lot better this time around. That's to cover players who talk to othr players.

The key is what the agents tell their clients.

Otherwise we are stuck with the limited number of ways of acquiring players as you detailed. I agree with the rest.

At the risk of changing topics, I don't think we will never get FAs to come here. FAs didn't come here because of the horrible environment set by the Maloofs. I will go into my typical spiel and say that FAs will come here if their agents say it is OK. Fortunately there are a limited number of agents. It is up to our FO to keep in contact and tell these agents that there are major changes in how this franchise is being run. We have two exhibits that are quite obvious and one is the arena and the other is the willingness to take on Gay's salary. Our hidden treasure is Vivek. Another positive was expressed by Landry recently who said the environment and team is a whole lot better this time around. That's to cover players who talk to othr players.

The key is what the agents tell their clients.

Otherwise we are stuck with the limited number of ways of acquiring players as you detailed. I agree with the rest.
I tend to agree in part. I think it is HIGHLY unlikely that we ever get a cream of the crop free agents to come to Sacramento and by the cream of the crop I think of the likes of LeBron, Durant even Carmelo types. Those guys are either big city guys (Carlemo) or very loyal to their current franchises (Durant).

However, I see no reason why the lower tier stars would not do it provided that the team is committed to winning. We managed to get Vlade here for big money and proximity to his family in LA but we also managed to get an all-star big men at the time in Brad Miller. That level of player we can get if we have a strong ownership and front office with clear direction and body of work behind them for the team.

For example, there is no reason why someone like Kyle Lowry would not want to come to Sacramento in the free agency if he believes in the vision of this front office and if we can sell to him the merits of the Cousins-Gay-Lowry trio going forward. I used Lowry as an example but those types of players are no doubt gettable, especially if the team is winning.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Nitpick: Brad Miller wasn't a free agent. Petrie traded Pollard and Turkoglu to get him. Divac is the only free agent of consequence ever signed in the Sacramento era. The second-best free agent signing was the ghost of Shareef Abdur-Rahim. The next best guy after him was... I don't know, Jim Les?

Even when we were a title contender, free agents didn't want to come here.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Nitpick: Brad Miller wasn't a free agent. Petrie traded Pollard and Turkoglu to get him. Divac is the only free agent of consequence ever signed in the Sacramento era. The second-best free agent signing was the ghost of Shareef Abdur-Rahim. The next best guy after him was... I don't know, Jim Les?

To extend the picking of the nits, when we were title contenders we didn't go looking much for free agents.

I believe it was S&T, so, yes, Miller was free agent.

I tend to agree in part. I think it is HIGHLY unlikely that we ever get a cream of the crop free agents to come to Sacramento and by the cream of the crop I think of the likes of LeBron, Durant even Carmelo types. Those guys are either big city guys (Carlemo) or very loyal to their current franchises (Durant).

However, I see no reason why the lower tier stars would not do it provided that the team is committed to winning. We managed to get Vlade here for big money and proximity to his family in LA but we also managed to get an all-star big men at the time in Brad Miller. That level of player we can get if we have a strong ownership and front office with clear direction and body of work behind them for the team.

For example, there is no reason why someone like Kyle Lowry would not want to come to Sacramento in the free agency if he believes in the vision of this front office and if we can sell to him the merits of the Cousins-Gay-Lowry trio going forward. I used Lowry as an example but those types of players are no doubt gettable, especially if the team is winning.
Let's be honest.. why would anyone want to live in Sacramento? Players who play here are probably going to end up living in Sacramento or a city not too far off. Old Sac doesn't attract much, and there isn't much to do in downtown.. it's like any other city's downtown. I doubt players would want to walk around the capital building for 2hrs straight.. maybe if they have a family they'll take their kids around Old Sac, but let's be honest, there's almost nothing to do in the city of Sacramento(not talking about places 45mi from here). I think they also factor in california taxes..

The only ways I think we'll be able to attract free agents are if either a) we give them huge contracts, b) finish the season strong to show promise for a playoff run, or c) make them buy into our product. A few interesting players who I think we might be able to have a shot at if we do either one of these things would be Greg Monroe, Eric Bledsoe, Avery Bradley, Gordon Hayward, Kyle Lowry, Lance Stephenson, Evan Turner, and of course Beno!

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I had a choice of where to live when I came out of the Navy in North Carolina in 1977 and decided to live here. I could have gone anywhere. I liked it here. People want different things and even basketball players may not like big cities. I sure don't. Some ex-Kings still live here. That may not make any sense to some of you but it doesn't need to.

He was a sign and trade free agent. We couldn't just sign him because we were over the cap so we did a 3 team sign and trade. Its still a free agent signing of sorts. We really would not be able to sign good free agents outright in the coming offseason but there is no reason why we can't do sign and trades.

I believe it was S&T, so, yes, Miller was free agent.
Indeed. Not only that, but he ended up coming here over a few other teams who were in the market for big men that summer. Utah and San Antonio come to mind, and the Spurs had to settle for Rasho Nesterovic ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Let's be honest.. why would anyone want to live in Sacramento? Players who play here are probably going to end up living in Sacramento or a city not too far off. Old Sac doesn't attract much, and there isn't much to do in downtown.. it's like any other city's downtown. I doubt players would want to walk around the capital building for 2hrs straight.. maybe if they have a family they'll take their kids around Old Sac, but let's be honest, there's almost nothing to do in the city of Sacramento(not talking about places 45mi from here). I think they also factor in california taxes...
As Glenn mentioned, there are several former players who still maintain residences here in the area. Sacramento is not the dead-end some would like to think.

ALL of the NBA is watching Vivek, Kevin Johnson and Sacramento right now. What we're doing is exciting and I suspect there might be at least a couple of free agents who would consider coming here to be part of it, especially since Chris Granger and Vivek and all concerned have made it abundantly clear they are not going to scrimp on bringing the best possible players to the Kings.

We may not be the best destination, but I firmly believe we have at least become a viable alternative.

As Glenn mentioned, there are several former players who still maintain residences here in the area. Sacramento is not the dead-end some would like to think.

ALL of the NBA is watching Vivek, Kevin Johnson and Sacramento right now. What we're doing is exciting and I suspect there might be at least a couple of free agents who would consider coming here to be part of it, especially since Chris Granger and Vivek and all concerned have made it abundantly clear they are not going to scrimp on bringing the best possible players to the Kings.

We may not be the best destination, but I firmly believe we have at least become a viable alternative.
We are never going to compete with big market teams like the Lakers or the Knicks etc... BUT there is no reason why we cannot become a small market team that is an attractive proposition to free agents.

Half of our problem has been that our arena has been craphouse and that is being polite. If you are a player and get a tour of our arena, you are probably thinking, what a dump. Its one of the worst in the NBA.

When we get the new arena, it will do wonders for free agent attraction. On top of that, it will revitalize the entire arena around the arena so all of a sudden the city itself becomes more lively and a more interesting place for highly paid athletes.

If the ownership keeps their word and continues to build a formidable team that will contend, all of a sudden Sacramento becomes an attractive destination. It has a good team that is contending, good ownership group committed to winning, a brand spanking new arena that will be the best in the NBA and a revitalized, more vibrant downtown because of it. On top of that, it still keeps that close knit community ties that it has.

We will never be Los Angeles or New York but there is no reason why with what is on the horizon, we cannot be a very attractive destination for players.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
We are never going to compete with big market teams like the Lakers or the Knicks etc... BUT there is no reason why we cannot become a small market team that is an attractive proposition to free agents.

Half of our problem has been that our arena has been poopoohouse and that is being polite. If you are a player and get a tour of our arena, you are probably thinking, what a dump. Its one of the worst in the NBA.

When we get the new arena, it will do wonders for free agent attraction. On top of that, it will revitalize the entire arena around the arena so all of a sudden the city itself becomes more lively and a more interesting place for highly paid athletes.

If the ownership keeps their word and continues to build a formidable team that will contend, all of a sudden Sacramento becomes an attractive destination. It has a good team that is contending, good ownership group committed to winning, a brand spanking new arena that will be the best in the NBA and a revitalized, more vibrant downtown because of it. On top of that, it still keeps that close knit community ties that it has.

We will never be Los Angeles or New York but there is no reason why with what is on the horizon, we cannot be a very attractive destination for players.
Absa-freakin-lutely. There is a certain type that wants the big city but there is also the type that doesn't want the big city. I think Boogie falls into the latter class. Now it's up to ownership to do what they seem to be promising. We can never compete with big cities financially because they can absorb the luxury tax penalties but the new luxury tax rules even make that a little painful for big cities that goes beyond financial punishments.

At the very, very least, we are no longer a hell hole.

Absa-freakin-lutely. There is a certain type that wants the big city but there is also the type that doesn't want the big city. I think Boogie falls into the latter class. Now it's up to ownership to do what they seem to be promising. We can never compete with big cities financially because they can absorb the luxury tax penalties but the new luxury tax rules even make that a little painful for big cities that goes beyond financial punishments.

At the very, very least, we are no longer a hell hole.
Sacramento isn't a hell hole. But I don't think the city itself has too many things to attract free agents. Many of my family who have visited Sacramento were pretty disappointed. There's many fun things to do here, however those are things you can do in almost every city. The only advantage we have over all the other cities in the NBA is the weather.... Sacramento is a great place, but I just don't see it as an ideal destination for free agents(I wasn't talking about families and etc.).

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Sacramento isn't a hell hole. But I don't think the city itself has too many things to attract free agents. Many of my family who have visited Sacramento were pretty disappointed. There's many fun things to do here, however those are things you can do in almost every city. The only advantage we have over all the other cities in the NBA is the weather.... Sacramento is a great place, but I just don't see it as an ideal destination for free agents(I wasn't talking about families and etc.).
Don't be too naive. CWebb was darn near suicidal when he learned he was traded here and his father, Mace, talked him into reporting.

I spent lots of time in and around San Antonio many years ago - from days of ABA Spurs and HemisFair Arena. That long gone arena was not unlike original old barn Arco I. Extremely loud with capacity only around 7,000 for ABA games. Since I went to pro basketball games at HemisFair and the old barn in Sac I have all that fond memory perspective. The much larger Alamodome which replaced HemisFair was gigantic with capacity around 21,000 for basketball and up to 72,000 for other major events. It was very nice but rather dark, cavernous place, and actually never seemed as loud as HemisFair. Now the teams new arena (AT&T Center) is back to more basketball intimate and at least potentially loud again - so they say.

During all my decades of living in Sac I always compared everything but especially sports related to San Antonio. Two similar size areas with just one pro sports team. The big difference for me was how corporate dollars in SA fueled everything massively and how quickly things would happen for sustained economic growth as a result. It was definitely not a gov't town like Sac. Even state capital Austin just couple hours to the north while a gov't town always had lots of corporate dollars propelling its economy (Dell computer world HQ, etc.) - with little red tape getting in the way. The idea of STOP-like movement popping up in a place like San Antonio would be rather unlikely, to say the least.

But to main question of would players actually want to play in such "boring small places?" I think answer is less about competing against New York, LA, Miami, etc. and selling what you do have. In the case of San Antonio it was good overall climate not unlike Sac - although SA can get rather humid in summers. SA has lots of outdoor activities like beautiful sprawling Texas hill country just outside the city, warm gulf of Mexico beaches few hours drive over to Corpus Christi on south to Mexico border, and really tasty BBQ:) Plus, since days of Popovich the Spurs are seen as potential NBA champion virtually every season he's been there - now 16+ years. Thus, the Kings now are in process of building (literally with their new downtown arena) a foundation hopefully not unlike what SA has been doing so well with Spurs forever. David "The Admiral" Robinson and George "The Iceman" Gervin stayed in SA long after their playing days and are big part of the local community. Lots of other former Spurs players live there as well. Of course, they like the low state taxes but I think it's mostly about the warm community spirit and very a welcoming in San Antonio. Now Sacramento has a chance to emulate all that in our own unique way. Of course, it always helps to get #1 pick in NBA draft to make a Tim Duncan or David Robinson your main building blocks for several championships!

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
If we change the culture and become a regular playoff team, combined with the new arena and world's best center on our roster, while I don't think a guy like Durant will be signing for us I do think 2nd tier FA's will strongly consider us.

I know we don't have many footy fans here but I'm reminded that Manchester United, the most popular and historic footy club world wide resides in what I would classify as a ****hole in Northern England. When you're a winner and have world class facilities, perception changes. While we still will probably lose out on bigger name players to the likes of LA or Miami or NY or Chicago, putting us up against 2nd tier destinations should be more competitive come 2017/18. Reputation does matter and being in a big market alone doesn't guarantee big name FA's will sign either. Just look at year after year of the LAC's striking out in free agency due to poor reputation. Can also look at ATL.

We'll never equal a NY or LA but we can be a better alternative to a number of NBA cities like Por/SLC/Den/Mem/OKC/Ind/Mil/Minn/Tor/Char/Det.

Last edited:
If we change the culture and become a regular playoff team, combined with the new arena and world's best center on our roster, while I don't think a guy like Durant will be signing for us I do think 2nd tier FA's will strongly consider us.

I know we don't have many footy fans here but I'm reminded that Manchester United, the most popular and historic footy club world wide resides in what I would classify as a ****ole in Northern England. When you're a winner and have world class facilities, perception changes. While we still will probably lose out on bigger name players to the likes of LA or Miami or NY or Chicago, putting us up against 2nd tier destinations should be more competitive come 2017/18. Reputation does matter and being in a big market alone doesn't guarantee big name FA's will sign either. Just look at year after year of the LAC's striking out in free agency due to poor reputation. Can also look at ATL.

We'll never equal a NY or LA but we can be a better alternative to a number of NBA cities like Por/SLC/Den/Mem/OKC/Ind/Mil/Minn/Tor/Char/Det.
While I agree, I was talking specifically about next year, but Sacramento overall isn't going to attract many FAs unless we make noise in the playoffs or decide to give out huge contracts. Specifically for next year, I don't see us being able to attract big named FAs. I think an important thing would be to finish off the remainder of the season strong when both Gay and Cuz are healthy. We would need to show a sign that we can compete. However, if we finish poorly, then we'd have to be able to convince players of a promising future and a playoff run.

I know we don't have many footy fans here but I'm reminded that Manchester United, the most popular and historic footy club world wide resides in what I would classify as a ****hole in Northern England. When you're a winner and have world class facilities, perception changes. While we still will probably lose out on bigger name players to the likes of LA or Miami or NY or Chicago, putting us up against 2nd tier destinations should be more competitive come 2017/18. Reputation does matter and being in a big market alone doesn't guarantee big name FA's will sign either. Just look at year after year of the LAC's striking out in free agency due to poor reputation. Can also look at ATL.

You might be forgetting that in soccer it's all about the money though. There's no cap restrictions or anything like that. And I have a feeling things are going to change a little now with Ferguson gone.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You might be forgetting that in soccer it's all about the money though. There's no cap restrictions or anything like that. And I have a feeling things are going to change a little now with Ferguson gone.
Just a reminder before this goes off the rails - we've got a football/soccer discussion thread in the General forum. ;)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Setting aside Detroit, which oddly has some lingering big city appeal (and while I hate to bring race into it, I do think it matters there a little ), the real point would be just how many significant free agents have those other teams signed as well? The answer is not many. Portland can sign Wesley Matthews, Minny can sign what's left of Kevin Martin, because it was his old coach. Charlotte maybe did the best overpaying for Al Jefferson. But even the successful little markets aren't signing their main guys as free agents. They are just capable of adding support personnel as we once were in the early Maloof years.

Its why when you're the little market you have to be so careful about draft picks and trades, about never giving away talent.

I find it laughable when people try to paint Sacramento as a place with nothing to do. Places with nothing to do don't generally have 2.5 Million living around it. Not only that, it's centrally located and close to pretty much anything you'd want to do but can't do here.

Regarding free agents, I'd consider Chris Webber a free agent that chose Sacramento. He was an UFA that could have left, but didn't. DeMarcus Cousins recently signed an extension and didn't have to.

I know he didn't sign here, but Jamal Crawford came really close to it a couple years ago. He eventually chose Portland, but stated for the record that it was a tough decision and that he almost came here.

Point is, it's not impossible to attract a worthwhile FA or keep one here.

Lastly, if Vivek Ranadive and Chris Granger are successful in building a global brand via India, adding more business partners and their 3.0 vision, this franchise is going to start attracting more FA's. The visibility and possibility for endorsements will be there.

I find it laughable when people try to paint Sacramento as a place with nothing to do. Places with nothing to do don't generally have 2.5 Million living around it. Not only that, it's centrally located and close to pretty much anything you'd want to do but can't do here.

Regarding free agents, I'd consider Chris Webber a free agent that chose Sacramento. He was an UFA that could have left, but didn't. DeMarcus Cousins recently signed an extension and didn't have to.

I know he didn't sign here, but Jamal Crawford came really close to it a couple years ago. He eventually chose Portland, but stated for the record that it was a tough decision and that he almost came here.
Point is, it's not impossible to attract a worthwhile FA or keep one here.

Lastly, if Vivek Ranadive and Chris Granger are successful in building a global brand via
India, adding more business partners and their 3.0 vision, this franchise is going to start attracting more FA's. The visibility and possibility for endorsements will be there.
Sacramento, the city itself will not attract many FAs.. many NBA players. It's a great city like many other cities for raising kids and starting families..but attracting basketball players to come? Not so much. Sacramento has a population of around 475,000. What is there really to do in Sacramento that will attract FA? Maybe the small sand area in Sacramento river or driving 30-40 miles to Folsom lake. Wine tasting 30 miles away? These places aren't too far of a drive, but it's not Sacramento. Sac is a great city no doubt, but there just isn't anything that pops out from any other city.

That's a huge IF. I love Vivek's vision of NBA 3.0.

I think as a small market team, it should be expected that we won't be the ideal destination of many players, but that doesn't mean they won't decide to come here.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sacramento, the city itself will not attract many FAs.. many NBA players. It's a great city like many other cities for raising kids and starting families..but attracting basketball players to come? Not so much. Sacramento has a population of around 475,000. What is there really to do in Sacramento that will attract FA? Maybe the small sand area in Sacramento river or driving 30-40 miles to Folsom lake. Wine tasting 30 miles away? These places aren't too far of a drive, but it's not Sacramento. Sac is a great city no doubt, but there just isn't anything that pops out from any other city...
Sorry, but you're just not correct.

You have yet to explain the fact that a number of former NBA players have homes here. You're sounding like the people of STOP - anything outside the city limits doesn't count? That's just silly. Sacramento is centrally located and within easy driving distance of a number of attractions - you may not want to acknowledge them but that doesn't mean they aren't part of what keeps people coming to Sacramento.

Sorry, but you're just not correct.

You have yet to explain the fact that a number of former NBA players have homes here. You're sounding like the people of STOP - anything outside the city limits doesn't count? That's just silly. Sacramento is centrally located and within easy driving distance of a number of attractions - you may not want to acknowledge them but that doesn't mean they aren't part of what keeps people coming to Sacramento.
i kinda have to agree with fanop on this one. i'm a big fan of sacramento's bike trails, and i love the trees, and there are a few killer restaurants and pubs around town that i'll miss whenever my wife and i move on from sac, but i'd be hard-pressed to craft a truly winning argument in favor of sacramento as a destination for nba players without feeling like i was being intellectually dishonest...

sacramento is a government town in the country's most populous state. a large percentage of CA state employees working within the sacramento city limits are commuters who leave at the end of the work day, take their money home with them to elk grove or roseville or lincoln or wherever, and rarely return on weekends to bring their money back into the downtown area, which has been a dilapidated mess for decades. there are endless budget crises that stall progress. its freeway systems are poorly designed. its roads are poorly maintained. its public transportation system is a bad joke. its school systems are impoverished. its not a welcoming home to the arts. and its citizens are largely resistant to most of the initiatives that might affect change in these deficient areas...

a city like portland is certainly not without its own share of problems, but i consider it to be a very comparable "small market" river city with an nba fanbase that's as invested in its team as kings fans are. as a city, portland has a very distinct personality, a greater cultural emphasis of the arts, a more vibrant music scene, a cleaner and livelier downtown, a more bike-friendly culture with cleaner, more practical, and more user-friendly public transportation. sacramento has a hard time standing up as a "modern" city in comparison. now, i don't mean to beat up on sacramento. i was born and raised in this area. for me, it's as flawed as city's come, but it's "home." hopefully a modern ESC will function as projected and help to resuscitate the downtown area. hopefully it will be a catalyst for catapulting sacramento into the 21st century, because, let's face it, this city has lagged behind most others when it comes to providing the kind of environment and amenities that a contemporary individual looks to for pride in their city. i mean, when sacramento's strongest quality is that it's "centrally located," the city center itself is clearly wanting...

that said, i can understand why former nba players keep homes here. it is a nice place to live if you like being in CA, but don't want to be surrounded by the constant bottleneck of LA or SF. the weather's great, and "centrally located" is certainly a useful notion for families who want to experience the region at large. but i have to imagine that it's hardly as useful to nba players, who practice in their home city, play in their home city, and travel to other nba cities without much down time in between the day-to-day grind. current nba players seem to value big city amenities that are easily accessible in those rare moments of down time during the season when they're not practicing, not playing a game, not traveling, and not serving in the community. sacramento doesn't provide a lot of options. there is almost no "night life" to speak of...

that's not to say that no nba player would ever want to play in sacramento. that's ridiculous. vlade divac loved it here. chris webber grew to love it, as well. but much of that love was for the rabid fanbase, and for the winning culture. sacramento was a fun place to play. it was "the greatest show on court." had webber played for the broke, cynical, spiteful version of the maloofs, and under the tutelage of, say, keith smart, i have to imagine the storyline changes a bit. still, tyreke evans loved it here. and demarcus cousins loves it here. these are the rare low-key homebodies among the nba's new young talent, players who'd rather stay out of the spotlight, away from the constant flash of the camera and the glamour of big endorsement deals. good for them. it's refreshing, from this fan's perspective. the kings may have also struck gold with rudy gay, who appears to be of a similar down-tuned personality...

however, i'm much more inclined to believe that the likes of evans, cousins, and gay are the exception rather than the rule. most free agents of note will be courted by franchises in cities with more to offer than sacramento. sac has a leg up on a frozen locale like minnesota, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement. a winning culture--more than anything sacramento has to offer as a city--will attract free agents to help fill in gaps across the roster. until the winning comes, until some measure of playoff success in a shiny new arena is a reality, it is simply a hard sell for free agents who only visit the sacramento city limits either once or twice a year to play against the kings...

If the stories of the past are true about the water temperature in the visiting locker room that would leave a lasting impression from only a few visits that only time will change. If was true, hopefully no longer.

i kinda have to agree with fanop on this one. i'm a big fan of sacramento's bike trails, and i love the trees, and there are a few killer restaurants and pubs around town that i'll miss whenever my wife and i move on from sac, but i'd be hard-pressed to craft a truly winning argument in favor of sacramento as a destination for nba players without feeling like i was being intellectually dishonest...

sacramento is a government town in the country's most populous state. a large percentage of CA state employees working within the sacramento city limits are commuters who leave at the end of the work day, take their money home with them to elk grove or roseville or lincoln or wherever, and rarely return on weekends to bring their money back into the downtown area, which has been a dilapidated mess for decades. there are endless budget crises that stall progress. its freeway systems are poorly designed. its roads are poorly maintained. its public transportation system is a bad joke. its school systems are impoverished. its not a welcoming home to the arts. and its citizens are largely resistant to most of the initiatives that might affect change in these deficient areas...

a city like portland is certainly not without its own share of problems, but i consider it to be a very comparable "small market" river city with an nba fanbase that's as invested in its team as kings fans are. as a city, portland has a very distinct personality, a greater cultural emphasis of the arts, a more vibrant music scene, a cleaner and livelier downtown, a more bike-friendly culture with cleaner, more practical, and more user-friendly public transportation. sacramento has a hard time standing up as a "modern" city in comparison. now, i don't mean to beat up on sacramento. i was born and raised in this area. for me, it's as flawed as city's come, but it's "home." hopefully a modern ESC will function as projected and help to resuscitate the downtown area. hopefully it will be a catalyst for catapulting sacramento into the 21st century, because, let's face it, this city has lagged behind most others when it comes to providing the kind of environment and amenities that a contemporary individual looks to for pride in their city. i mean, when sacramento's strongest quality is that it's "centrally located," the city center itself is clearly wanting...

that said, i can understand why former nba players keep homes here. it is a nice place to live if you like being in CA, but don't want to be surrounded by the constant bottleneck of LA or SF. the weather's great, and "centrally located" is certainly a useful notion for families who want to experience the region at large. but i have to imagine that it's hardly as useful to nba players, who practice in their home city, play in their home city, and travel to other nba cities without much down time in between the day-to-day grind. current nba players seem to value big city amenities that are easily accessible in those rare moments of down time during the season when they're not practicing, not playing a game, not traveling, and not serving in the community. sacramento doesn't provide a lot of options. there is almost no "night life" to speak of...

that's not to say that no nba player would ever want to play in sacramento. that's ridiculous. vlade divac loved it here. chris webber grew to love it, as well. but much of that love was for the rabid fanbase, and for the winning culture. sacramento was a fun place to play. it was "the greatest show on court." had webber played for the broke, cynical, spiteful version of the maloofs, and under the tutelage of, say, keith smart, i have to imagine the storyline changes a bit. still, tyreke evans loved it here. and demarcus cousins loves it here. these are the rare low-key homebodies among the nba's new young talent, players who'd rather stay out of the spotlight, away from the constant flash of the camera and the glamour of big endorsement deals. good for them. it's refreshing, from this fan's perspective. the kings may have also struck gold with rudy gay, who appears to be of a similar down-tuned personality...

however, i'm much more inclined to believe that the likes of evans, cousins, and gay are the exception rather than the rule. most free agents of note will be courted by franchises in cities with more to offer than sacramento. sac has a leg up on a frozen locale like minnesota, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement. a winning culture--more than anything sacramento has to offer as a city--will attract free agents to help fill in gaps across the roster. until the winning comes, until some measure of playoff success in a shiny new arena is a reality, it is simply a hard sell free agents who only visit the sacramento city limits either once or twice a year to play against the kings...
I couldn't have said it better

Luckily for the Sacramento area, Padrino and fanop don't speak for the 2.5m+ or the former NBA'ers and MLB'ers that choose to live in the area. Obviously each and everyone of those people could choose to live elsewhere but don't. There are a ton of things to do in and around Sacramento, not to mention the great non-humid weather.

fanop, if you are only going to use Sacramento's city population, and not the entire metro area for your argument, then consider that SF's city/county population is around 825k. Their city population is even less. The metro numbers are what count. People from all over the area go to events, not just city residents. And Sacramento even draws fans from further outside their metro area, places such as Fairfield, Vacaville, Redding, Reno and Lake Tahoe.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Which former NBA players live in Sac other than Brad Miller, a guy who's always been a country boy and likes the outdoors/hunting?

KJ, Ryan Anderson and Andre Miller have local connections and grew up in the area but guys who grew up here and choose to reside here in some capacity is a different discussion than guys with no local connection choosing to live in Sac simply because they like the feel of the city.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.